WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2018 Ram 3500 Dually Destroying Front Passenger Side Tires

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I have a question for those with with Ram 2500-3500's. I have had this truck for a couple years and its been very good, but all of a sudden it started destroying the front right tire from the inside. About every 500-700 miles the tire separates on the inside and the truck starts pulling and shaking. It happened once, and I replaced the tire, then I put on another new tire and now it has happened again.

I am not thinking it is alignment because it runs true with a new tire. I've jacked that corner up and the wheel feels tight and I can't see any issues at all.

I only have 30k miles on it so am taking it to the dealer today, but I really want to do the Carli level kit and 35's and want to figure this out before doing that.

Any help is much appreciated.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Something in the alignment is off, likely toe related. The cause could be simply the alignment or something in the suspension failed.

montaj629

Reaction score
I have the Carli level kit on my 2018 2500 with 37s. Good choice.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Bad wheel bearing/unit bearing??

My jeep started chewing up tires and didn't seem like the bearings were bad but its measured with a dial indicator. Replaced bearings and stopped chewing up tires.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The shake is what’s troubling...let me ping some folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My whee bearings were bad. Tires were wearing pretty bad. I shouldn’t have been driving the truck like that but ninjas to get to work. Fixed that and the tie rods broke the following week. Seems like the wheels have fallen off the truck at least 3 times now 😂

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
If it's a 4 wheel drive then it's chrystler's shitty axle set up. The passenger side never disengages and wears out the tire, universal joint and hub.
You also should change out all of the ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings in the front axle area. Death wobble is real and not fun to deal with on the highway

Groper

Reaction score
If it's a 4 wheel drive then it's chrystler's shitty axle set up. The passenger side never disengages and wears out the tire, universal joint and hub.
You also should change out all of the ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings in the front axle area. Death wobble is real and not fun to deal with on the highway
Yes and I loved scarring the shit out of passengers when the "DW" happended @80 lol 😧 I'd look at them and say "what" and yes even after the Carli Leveling kit 😫

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Could be many things, but passenger side is curb side. Good luck.

575cat

Reaction score
I doubt any thing is worn I have a 18 3500 with the Thuren level kit since new never a problem , these later years have some serious HD steering linkage under there , bad rubber ? ,one tire should not be a tow problem .

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
OP check your PM’s [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I doubt any thing is worn I have a 18 3500 with the Thuren level kit since new never a problem , these later years have some serious HD steering linkage under there , bad rubber ? ,one tire should not be a tow problem .
How many miles? Mine is an 07. With 160K. At 120K the truck was almost undriveable

575cat

Reaction score
I was relating to the low miles mine has about 30k . I had an 07 mega dually truck was great til I did the level then death wobble put it back to stock then every thing was great upgraded to the later steering linkage knuckle to knuckle set up , the old Y steering linkage was no good .

tunnel vision

Reaction score
I have a question for those with with Ram 2500-3500's. I have had this truck for a couple years and its been very good, but all of a sudden it started destroying the front right tire from the inside. About every 500-700 miles the tire separates on the inside and the truck starts pulling and shaking. It happened once, and I replaced the tire, then I put on another new tire and now it has happened again.

I am not thinking it is alignment because it runs true with a new tire. I've jacked that corner up and the wheel feels tight and I can't see any issues at all.

I only have 30k miles on it so am taking it to the dealer today, but I really want to do the Carli level kit and 35's and want to figure this out before doing that.

Any help is much appreciated.

I have the same truck and same problem with 22K on it. I followed the Thurin info and so far so good, mine was set at 1/4" toe in from the factory...

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

So they have the front diff where the right axle always turns with the differential and its input shaft even when not in 4H? I'm asking because I was thinking about doing a axle disconnect delete in a 2020 GMC HD IFS along with throwing a locker in the front diff and I heard doing that causes that same issue where the axle keeps turning and can be a source of vibration and wear. Obviously GM is not a RAM but I believe they use the same AAM IFS setup (or close to it).

tunnel vision

Reaction score
So they have the front diff where the right axle always turns with the differential and its input shaft even when not in 4H? I'm asking because I was thinking about doing a axle disconnect delete in a 2020 GMC HD IFS along with throwing a locker in the front diff and I heard doing that causes that same issue where the axle keeps turning and can be a source of vibration and wear. Obviously GM is not a RAM but I believe they use the same AAM IFS setup (or close to it).

Nope, Ram 3500 uses a solid front axle, can't speak for the 2500.

Kenair

Reaction score
I have the same truck and same problem with 22K on it. I followed the Thurin info and so far so good, mine was set at 1/4" toe in from the factory...
How are your tires doing now, been about a year since this post. I have same issue, going to get 2 new front tires and have toe set to Thurin specs and hop it works.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I have a shake in my driver side front that won’t go away I’m about to do my ujoints and a free spin kit to get rid of the last bullshit left on my front end. I have new thuren everything else. If your truck is eating the inside of tires I would say balljoints.

Kenair

Reaction score
I have a shake in my driver side front that won’t go away I’m about to do my ujoints and a free spin kit to get rid of the last bullshit left on my front end. I have new thuren everything else. If your truck is eating the inside of tires I would say balljoints.
Mines eating passenger outside edge.

Kenair

Reaction score
Mines a 2018 3500 dually long bed and when I first bought it the entire truck vibrated so bad it made me sick to my stomach above 50mph. The dealer did some work with drive shafts and it’s awesome now except that curb side front tire wearing fast on outside edge. I hope the Thuren setting for alignment work, can’t replace tires every 20k on the front.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

It's the Nexen Tires if you still have them on, I guarantee it. That's what my issue was. If the hop isn't bad now, it's get worse to the point you may lose control. I almost did.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

It's the Nexen Tires if you still have them on, I guarantee it. That's what my issue was. If the hop isn't bad now, it's get worse to the point you may lose control. I almost did.
Mines a 2018 3500 dually long bed and when I first bought it the entire truck vibrated so bad it made me sick to my stomach above 50mph. The dealer did some work with drive shafts and it’s awesome now except that curb side front tire wearing fast on outside edge. I hope the Thuren setting for alignment work, can’t replace tires every 20k on the front.

For me, it was the Nexen tires. Since this thread was posted, the tire looked bad so I put another Nexen on the passengers front. The problem went away for about 1,000 miles, then returned. Returned so bad I almost crashed with a boat in tow and the family. Went to a tire shop in Beaumont and the owner looked at it and said the tire had separated internally. He put the spare on and I replaced all the tires with Commercial BFG's (Hard as hell, but good tires) when I got back home. Never had a problem after that. I did do some research though and everyone said the right front is harder on tires for some reason. They said always rotate every 5,000 miles. I literally just sold the truck last week for more than I paid for it brand new. I may buy another in a year or two, but tightening things because I believe we may have some economic changes in the near future.

Kenair

Reaction score

For me, it was the Nexen tires. Since this thread was posted, the tire looked bad so I put another Nexen on the passengers front. The problem went away for about 1,000 miles, then returned. Returned so bad I almost crashed with a boat in tow and the family. Went to a tire shop in Beaumont and the owner looked at it and said the tire had separated internally. He put the spare on and I replaced all the tires with Commercial BFG's (Hard as hell, but good tires) when I got back home. Never had a problem after that. I did do some research though and everyone said the right front is harder on tires for some reason. They said always rotate every 5,000 miles. I literally just sold the truck last week for more than I paid for it brand new. I may buy another in a year or two, but tightening things because I believe we may have some economic changes in the near future.
All my vibes are gone after the driveshaft was replaced and I put Michelin all around and it’s awesome. But that horrid chewing up of the front right tire is annoying.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Ahhhh haaaaa!!!

I have the exact same truck! 2018 ram 3500 duality…. Practically ground through the right front tire in about 25k….

I took it in for the following: I did a 3” leveling kit,
(Too high btw), and alignment, and both front new tires…

alignment guy said it was more than 8 degrees too much toe in………

they aligned it, new tires, and 15k more mikes on it and she tracks straight, no more right-left tire wear!

—Sherpa