WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2019 Berkshire Pontoon, 25 Sport RFX Dual Console, Single Mercury Racing 400R

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Pontoon life... Good livin, its the simple things that makes it good!

Here is the down and dirty for me, I had put almost 100 hours each year on my old boat, I had been talking about how I wanted to upgrade into a new motor for years, it was going to be pricey... Maybe just buy a new boat? The price of a new boat made me think I should simplify my lifestyle and enjoy what surrounds me without doing it at 100mph. My wife and I primarily use the boat on Lake Havasu 99.9% of the time, from the marina to a destination and back. Maybe a pontoon? Really? Well, not the like your grandpa's, I would have to have one with some attitude.

In my search, it didn't take long to find one I liked, but I hit the pause button while I watched and looked further. I then found the Forest River Marine line up (Berkshire, Trifecta and SouthBay).

I had to take some time and learn more about what is under the deck of these new pontoons. Here is what I found, lifting strakes, splash fins, spray rails, pad running surface, large nose cone, pressurized tubes and strategically placed bulk heads. Wow, that was a lot at once, now add the size of tubes and running surfaces, round tubes, elliptical tubes, different gauge aluminum. This went on for a while as you can see, it just brings more questions to the performance of it in the end.

I should add that at this point I am trying to compare the three Forest River Marine products to each other and find any difference in build quality, standard features and or upgraded options. I can't find much if anything that stands out and the dealers are not able to point anything out to me either at the time I was looking. All three products are built in the same factory and all three are available in Lake Havasu, but at different dealers. In my opinion this gives Forest River Marine more visibility and offers more of their products to be sold in same local area. Again, it would be my opinion that these dealers may have different clientele by the models they keep in their inventory.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Forest River Marine offers what they call “Performance Packages”, this is the difference in tubes, strakes, underdeck performance skin, hydraulic steering and size of gas tank. The Berkshire model that I bought has the 3.0+ and can be seen below.

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
One of the most difficult things in making the switch to toon town is being used to the custom performance industry. Finding a comfort level in a production boat that I was going to be happy with for years to come. Fabric, fit and finish, quality and craftsmanship, durability, longevity and warranties were my new vocabulary. Floor plans, standard features, upgrades and options. In the Berkshire I bought, there are only a few upgraded options that I did not get (rear view camera, usb ports in bow).

Lots of floor plans available and I will say after looking at several, I can see some differences now between the models. Rear facing lounges are cool, however the ones I saw on some pontoons were big and bulky, I didn't find them to be as functional as the rear facing seats. The new swing back seats that offer option of a bench seat and rear facing bench are nice but was not an option I selected. Another common seating arrangement is a rear facing bench with a step up over back u-shaped seat, pretty cool however I took access into consideration and didn't feel it was best for us and maybe the future use of the boat.

I went with what I think is the standard pontoon seating configuration and they offer to make a seat cushion (more storage too) that fits in the front or the back of the boat that encloses the seating to a full u-shape at the gates. Don't forget cup holders and storage, the are 18 cup holders and storage under or behind every seat cushion. All four of the lounge seats have fold down arm rests that have some nice heavy billet hardware. Each seat base has a plastic built in liner with hinged seat cushions.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Hard to see the carbon silver material but here are a few pics of seats, arm rests and storage.

The flooring is what they call V-Lite composite decking. Lighter than plywood, waterproof, will not mold, rot or smell, no seams and claim to be stronger. it feels like a cushion pad but its hot in the summer heat. I use 60" bath mats down the middle of the boat.

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The movable seat cushion can be seen in the bow at the gate. It fits perfect at the back gate too.

IMG_1525.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The fiberglass Dual Console model was an immediate hit when we saw it, it provides a windshield, large storage with two lockable access doors. On the passenger side, the dash has a control head for the stereo and the screen could be used for the back up camera that I did not get. The passenger side also has a decent size lockable glovebox and a sink on top of the dash with its own water tank and pump.

IMG_3837.jpg

At the helm, tilt wheel, digital touchscreen gauges that function with gps and Bluetooth. Reclining swivel chair with bolster and armrests.

IMG_3843.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So, two big selling points on this package for us... I knew when I saw it that it was going to be a homerun, but I had to get the wifey to see it. First thing she notices is the triple axle Extreme trailer that this thing is sitting on, next its the merc 400, but a white one to match! Sold, take my money.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Saw this Birkshire in the channel a few weeks back that peaked my interest for sure. Twin 400R’s
B4509722-D075-4CBC-8879-72A9BE9B6EA3.jpeg

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Nice review and write up Cameron. I am not there yet, but can definitely see the wife and I in one of these in the future. Would love to look at it up close one of these days and even go for a cruise too. Beautiful toon!

Out of curiosity, what is the ballpark cost of something like this?

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
So, two big selling points on this package for us... I knew when I saw it that it was going to be a homerun, but I had to get the wifey to see it. First thing she notices is the triple axle Extreme trailer that this thing is sitting on, next its the merc 400, but a white one to match! Sold, take my money.

Did you buy it from a local dealer in Havasu?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So many more cool features that make the boat comfortable and functional.

We found a fold out trash receptacle to be very practical, it can be accessed thru a fold out door behind the passenger seat or thru the back of rear seat cushion.

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

A pretty decent size storage area in the center tube with access thru the floor. It is lined and pretty easy to get in and out of. I use it for an anchor storage area and floating noodles.

IMG_3852.jpg

Again, mentioning the 3.0+ performance selection come with a larger fuel tank.

There is a solid sporty ski tow bar on the rear deck. I like this feature as a hand rail, safety reminder to stay away from the motor. It’s powder coated finish looks great and has a little glitter in to sparkle. Prolly be awesome for pulling your brother in law around on some inflatables.

IMG_4652.jpg

Since we are on the subject of people in the water near the back of the boat, it can be clearly seen by two “moving prop alert” indicators. The led lights are located on the edge of deck rail on both sides of motor. They light up and flash reminding someone to stay clear.

IMG_3816.jpg

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
We don’t do a lot of boating at nite but recently we have been going out on the lake later in the afternoon and enjoying the sunset and a swim with an adult beverage and maybe dinner. Lots of lights on this model, all really give a fun vibe (I think the newest models may be able to change colors now).

Small flat housings for led navigation lights are nice streamline look with the bow rail.

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

Side under rail lighting looks great as the reflection more light off the top of the side tubes.

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

Underwater lights are mounted on the back of the side tubes.

IMG_1259.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Lots of lighting and it’s all controlled at the helm with the touch screen dash. Lights can all be turned on/off at once or can be controlled individually and then dimmed.

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I originally was not looking for a boat with the arch, I really liked the sporty look, cool mood lights and speakers, having it to support the bimini top seems to be a great combo. However I knew I couldn’t get it to fit thru garage door. In my search for this boat I learned that the arch was electrically powered and would be able to be lowered to get under the header of my garage door (10feet). Again, take my money.

IMG_9264.jpg

On the top of the arch there is a navigation light that can be removed if need for a few additional inches and also can be used to tow someone for water sports.

IMG_3889.jpg

Let’s face it, not having shade in the Havasu heat is not an option. For 2019 models, Forest River Marine’s line ups changed. The arch was made bigger and they leaned it forward all the way to the windshield of the boat. Huge difference from the previous models.

IMG_3786.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Nice review and write up Cameron. I am not there yet, but can definitely see the wife and I in one of these in the future. Would love to look at it up close one of these days and even go for a cruise too. Beautiful toon!

Out of curiosity, what is the ballpark cost of something like this?

I get it, definitely wasn't in my sights, but absolutely no regrets! We are on the water, enjoying the lake and everything it has to offer still. I feel the boat is roomy and comfortable, easy to drive and the way its rides.... so smooth and forgiving. The merc 400r is quick and responsive, still blows hats off. Would be fun to have you guys on deck someday. Get ready for some new 2020 pricing soon, I am willing to bet, customers looking to get into this boat or one like will be paying anyplace from $135k-$175k. Add $40k for a twin.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So how fast will it run?

with the cooler air and water temps in January, she ran 62mph at around 6600rpm (not hitting rev limiter yet, during break in). Last week, in 115* havasu heat she ran a comfy 52mph (maybe 53mph) at 6200rpm (max rpm is 7000rpm) with a full tank of gas, ice chests and guests.

Last edited:

B59

Reaction score
Great write up. Thank you! I'v been doing the same research as you on line only. I figured the local Havasu dealers were not much help as you found out. I'm thinking twin 300s for cruising speed loaded of 45-50 and maneuverability as I'm thinking a 27' Southbay or one of the other to from Forest river. Did you buy and or talk to Horizon in Havasu? BTW very nice boat, congrats.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Great write up. Thank you! I'v been doing the same research as you on line only. I figured the local Havasu dealers were not much help as you found out. I'm thinking twin 300s for cruising speed loaded of 45-50 and maneuverability as I'm thinking a 27' Southbay or one of the other to from Forest river. Did you buy and or talk to Horizon in Havasu? BTW very nice boat, congrats.

it was not easy to find the info I was looking for online, lots of different features available. My advise would be to look at several, make notes of the things you like and ask if its available for your new boat. lots of packages (standard features, individual options, super sport, black out, saltwater edition) that may or may not be included, it could be misunderstood or overlooked easily. I think that is one of the reasons I took some extra time to actually see a few of them and compare notes. I think the dealers have learned what their customers like and are placing their orders based off of what they know is a hot ticket item, most of the set ups I have seen are really nice. I did look at Horizon, Preston is a pleasure to chat with, he took the time to show me lots of the things in WMC's boat before he bought it. Unfortunately, he did not finish the deal with me on a Trifecta before I found this Berkshire at Cactus that met all of the things on our wish list and more.

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Great review, thank you. How is it getting on the trailer? I have seen people struggle with this in older models. Toons and trailers have come a long way, but is is still an issue?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
For Sale...

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Great review, thank you. How is it getting on the trailer? I have seen people struggle with this in older models. Toons and trailers have come a long way, but is is still an issue?

Not if you get a toon with twin outboards and the joystick control. That will really help when the wind is pushing you when trying to trailer or get into/out of a slip.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
edit, recently sold (feb'21)

A small list of things that I was not completely happy with started growing.

Last edited: