WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2019 Los Angeles Boat Show Report!!

4Waters

Reaction score
Wait, you dumped the Talon? That thing was bitchen...

Dave, are you going to do a review on the Pavati? I missed that at the show.
You missed an unbelievable boat but I ran into RD at the show and I asked him if he was and the answer was yes. They are supposed to be at the Havasu show, so you might be able to see it there.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Next up is the Hallett 285 2.0 Party cruiser. This boat while it didn't put up the biggest top end #'s at the RDP tests, it was the hardest accelerating deck we tested. In short when they brought it they had it propped with a 24 and had it setup for actual family / deck boat use instead of all out performance. Bob and the test team liked the boat quite a bit.

Nordic has made a few changes immediately visible right off the bat the most obvious being the elliptical bow rails. These are much better looking (flowing) than there traditional bow rails the most manufacturers use, and it's a Nordic Trademark.

IMG_8016.jpeg

Just took some close ups of the bow area. Stereo controls.

IMG_4535.jpeg

Foot wash / wash down system.
IMG_3241.jpeg

This boat has a single topside integrated cooler. Don't quote me on it but for some reason I think back when they first introduced this boat it had them on both sides of the helm? Either way it's a self draining cooler that drains into the bilge and wouldn't store enough for an entire day or two, but there's other integrated coolers in the boat so putting things that you are going to be reaching for quite a bit in here would be best. I.E. Put a lot of beer in this one, and the waters and kids drinks in the other.

IMG_8147.jpeg

You can see the large storage areas under the front seats, the one thing I do like about this is the floors are flat in there. While it might give up some in terms of overall space by now following the contour of the sponson, I think the functionality of a flat floor would probably outweigh the return on space.

Again you can see the fiberglass gunnel inserts with a USB charging port. (I haven't brought it up until now, but I think I'd probably want something with a cover on those USB ports)
IMG_0726.jpeg

These storage cabinets are pretty typical of size for a normal deck boat and are comparable to just about anything out there except the actual Nordic lineup.. (as Mentioned above) The isle between the two is plenty wide enough to be able to access and put soft sided coolers and other items in here with no issues. If I ended up owning these I'd probably do some inserts like Shockwave does in their cabinets just to maintain a flat floor to make things easier to slide in and out. Again you give up some room, but the idea of yanking on the handles of a soft side trying to get it over that hump down in there and then getting on your hands and knees to lift it up etc.. Just seems like a lot of work to me.

IMG_7901.jpeg

This boat isn't as "high and tight" as the Nordic line ups are usually, but it's well done and if we are being honest there's certain advantages to this wiring over the high and tight perfect 90 degree wiring jobs that have become the "look for" in the industry. This is a little of me looking for a positive in anything type situation, but.. on this setup when one of your terminals corrodes a little bit, or if you have a wiring problem you can pull it off, replace the terminal and put it back on. Those 100% perfect wiring jobs that we all love so much, if you ever have a problem it becomes quite the scenario. You have to hide a connection somewhere down the line, cut 1000 zip ties, scoot the affected wire up etc.. etc.. Take you all day for something that could take all of 2 minutes.

The bulkhead fittings are a nice touch for the cables and hydraulic lines.

IMG_3383.jpeg

I didn't grab a picture of it, but I believe there's a hole in the deck with a chrome bezel. If you drop trash down that hole it lands neatly in this little trash can.

IMG_0058.jpeg

Passenger side storage.
IMG_3299.jpeg

I'm digging the fact that they hid all the stereo wiring. It's kind of hard to tell now not being in the boat, but I'm 95% sure that bezel and loom contains all the wiring for the stereo to be disbursed to the rest of the boat.

IMG_9261.jpeg

The dash hasn't changed when the new regime, and it's great to see them keeping a lot of the traditions and styling that made a Hallett a Hallett. The breakers right above the switches, and the typical Hallett switch plates that go all the way back through the decades. It's dressed up a little with an Isotta steering wheel and the Livorsi controls.

IMG_8028.jpeg
IMG_7634.jpeg

The interior and seat backs have been changed over to a more "nordic" style seat. Personally I would've kept the traditional style interior to really separate it and keep the Hallett vibe. It is important to note here that Nordic/Hallett is a CUSTOM builder and they will build the interior (and hell the whole boat) however you would like it. This boat was built as a stock boat I believe. Here you can find your other integrated cooler into the boat which again is self draining and dumps right into the bilge. (This is where you put your waters / iced teas and massive qty's of ice etc..

IMG_2183.jpeg

Alright boys, what everyone is going to see here is just a hatch with some odyssey batteries.. What I see is Nordic fixed a major aesthetics / construction flaw with the boat!! I'd tell Hallett every single year at the boat show to fix this, and they never did. I never said anything to Nordic and this is the first 285 I've seen they have built and it's already fixed. On the original 285 2.0 there is non skid all throughout this area. When the original Hallett would install their hatch it was just cut a hole and a drop in hatch.. Well the bezel that held the hatch in place was half on non skid, and half on a smooth surface and looked like absolute hell.

Nordic ground the area smooth in the mold and actually integrated the hatch into the tooling of the boat so my main and only "real" complaint about the 285 has now been permanently fixed on Boat # 1. (I realize there are some people that say I'm a Nordic cheerleader.. but it's things like this why I still say they are one of the best in the biz).

IMG_4532.jpeg

What do we have here Mr Strainer? Note Stage Right you can see the offshore mounts / cradle they build that is through bolted to the stringer with plates.
IMG_1302.jpeg

There's your battery switches etc.. If I bought this boat I'd ask them to clean up the finishes on the recessed lip of the hatch and on the back wall where the switches are etc..
This is something I didn't notice in person, but when you are staring at a picture it became pretty obvious.

IMG_7035.jpeg

Can't say I've ever seen a 285 with a 600 in it before? I am absolutely dying to know how this boat runs with this motor! I'm hoping it's still in town so we can take it out and run it when the wind dies!! Any guesses as to what you think it will run? I'm guessing mid 84-85'ish..

IMG_5814.jpeg

Again I love the fender and storage box they're putting in these boats!! (Maybe make them draining though?).
IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_2144.jpeg

Hit the interior lights Just to see how they turned out. Surprisingly bright and I love that deep blue, even if the cops don't..
IMG_7347.jpeg
IMG_7452.jpeg

That's gonna wrap the 285!

Attachments

• IMG_6791.jpeg
    IMG_6791.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 285

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Nordic 28SS, as well all sat back and watched when Bullhead Bully ran 130 in his, this is simply an amazing hull / boat. In an I/O configuration I believe Buck's final #'s ended up running 155 mph with his GT Powered single Bravo style drive boat. (don't quote me on that, but I believe that was the # they were running in testing, I think the shoot out #'s were mid 140's).

The boat has all the looks of a mini offshore race boat, and all the performance numbers to back up the look. The fact the boat is 209K is flat ass unbelievable.

IMG_9433.jpeg

It's an aesthetics thing and subject to opinion so I don't want to say anything, but damn that's a lot of yellow. I did like the dark gunnel inserts and thought they looked bad ass.

IMG_8038.jpeg

I liked the arc pattern on the floor, and the fact they are tying the flooring designs into the boat. I can say I didn't care much for the "Nordic" on one side and the 28SS on the other. I know the design intent, but just didn't think it looked as good as it could have. I think a single 28SS in the middle would've flowed better.

In this pic you can see the entire cockpit of the 28 is different than most boats in this size range. It actually has a center column for the throttle / shifter gauges and doubles as a step plate to get up and out of the boat (which is extremely helpful if you have ever used it). A lot of people feel that it would be difficult to throttle with your left hand, but the few times I've done it, it felt fairly natural to me.

Ultimately everything about this interior / cockpit says "Haul Ass" and it's one of the better looking cockpits out there IMO. You can see the two loungers on either side of the seats.. They are full size seats, but I can't imagine any adults ever going down there for any reason.. Kids maybe.

IMG_6387.jpeg

See those little stainless handles in the corners on the dash? Those are exceptionally useful when getting out of the seats, and it's little touches like that, that put a smile on my face. You don't really notice things like that until you are sitting in a boat and go to get out.

IMG_7967.jpeg

To move on one thing I noticed in this boat, that I thought was kind of weird was the vinyl straps laying on the floor in front of the seats. I'd be having them remove those before delivery and putting those more nonintrusive straps across the front of the bolsters (kind of like what they did on the 35 across the tops of the bolsters but on the front in the 28).

IMG_4625.jpeg
IMG_6923.jpeg

Sexy A F!!

IMG_3415.jpeg

Something you don't really notice in the pic, but is a little testament to the ergonomics that go into a Nordic.. When the throttles are at or near Full Throttle your left fingers can reach all the switches on that plate without taking your hand off the throttle.
IMG_1389.jpeg

Just a close up of what's down by the drivers seat.

IMG_0079.jpeg

As said earlier I don't think I'd ever hang out down here, but nice little touch with the cupholders for the backwards facing lounges.
IMG_4222.jpeg

On the transom of the boat is these two little coolers.. They aren't huge coolers, but would work for a day trip if you don't want to bother with a soft side etc..

IMG_5082.jpeg

That about wraps up this 28SS..

Honestly I don't think Nordic ever gets the same credit and recognition that a lot of other manufacturers out there get. It's kind of crazy when you think about it being that they built the fastest stock 400 boat.. I believe, they have the fastest single engine bravo style record, They just built their new model that ran 117 right out of the gate that is capable of quads etc..

They have really been doing some big things over there, and I look forward to seeing what they have in store next!

RD

RCDave

Reaction score
I am very fortunate to have riden in Bullhead Bully's 28SS with the 400's. Absolutely unreal boat. Performance, layup, rigging, gel. It has it all

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There was no good way to get in the 28' Heat at the show or even get a full pic of it because of the boats in front of it etc..

I'm betting this is a customer built because generally speaking mfg's don't put in Billet wheels like that unless it's ordered.

The 28 Heat was a boat that was styled way before its time.. This boat had a windshield back when Canopies were cool.. Don't believe me? Remember the DCB FX28? Eliminator ICC series Vee's? The heat was built before those, and is still being built today.

It also had some pretty cool features that were kind of Nordic trademarks. It had flush cleats (I believe they were doing that before popups were even available), it had flush bow lights (still do to this day), and of course the afore mentioned elliptical bow rails that seem to "flow" in and out of the hull instead of ending abruptly. Orville spent a ton of time on the industrial design of these boats.

The main difference since Davis Boat mfg took over the company is now they have added an innerliner, everything in the boat will be through bolted, and completely woodless construction. Most of those aren't visual things (innerliner you can see), but the other two are pretty big differences in overall boat quality.

It's been a long time since I've been in a 28 Heat so I'll just talk about some of the differences I can see in the pics.

Back when my buddy had one, his had cooler drop ins on both sides.. This looks like they put some sort of storage / sink type thing with a removable lid on the passenger side. I can also see they added shelves with the stainless bars on the wall. (Not sure what was there before?). It looks like they did away with the switch plates that all the switches sat in.. And they added fiberglass foot rests. (I think the old one had stainless bar on the passenger side, but don't quote me on it.. it's been a long time)

IMG_2003.jpeg

They added rear grab handles, and obviously on this one they added the extended swim platform.

IMG_7162.jpeg

I couldn't tell you if anything else is different or not. What I can tell you is even after all these years, just looking at the boat you can see how functional they can be. Seating for 5-6 in the cockpit.. Seating for another 5 down below, and another 5-6 in the open bow. You are upwards of 16-18 people if you are needing to shuttle people to the bar, sand bar etc.. Not too many boats (even decks) can claim those kinda numbers and everyone have a comfortable actual seat.

IMG_3168.jpeg
IMG_0222.jpeg

Wish I had more to report on guys like I said, but there was no way in the boat to give the full monte tour.

RD

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-22_13-37-23.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-22_13-37-23.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 282

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Dave, I don't think anybody accuses you of being a Nordic cheerleader because of your reviews of their boats. I believe its due to the Nordic skirt and outfit you have and wear that does it. Lol!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, I don't think anybody accuses you of being a Nordic cheerleader because of your reviews of their boats. I believe its due to the Nordic skirt and outfit you have and wear that does it. Lol!

Find me a company doing it better and I'll change outfits.. LOL.

Quality, Performance Price Point, and most importantly SERVICE & ETHICS are your categories.. ;). Good luck!

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Quick little interview to break up the Boat Show report!

Rob Clarke from Quality Performance!! For you outboard guys there's some interesting tid bits in here!

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The 34 is the Flag Ship of the Nordic Deckboat line and is one of only two Deckboats on the market right now that I am aware of that is available in a Twin Engine Configuration. (The other is E Ticket). It's a little hard to tell from the pics but this is a BIG BIG BOAT..

While I was standing there a couple walked in to it and a wife said "This thing is bigger than our living room." Because it's shaped similar to the 26 & 29 it's a little deceiving, but it's a monster.

IMG_8597.jpeg

It shares the same twin coolers in the front as it's counter parts.

IMG_4448.jpeg

I actually enjoyed the different styling on the seats that they did on this one. Everyone is doing diamond stitching right now, and they just put two diamond panels in the backs. Still has that kind of theme but at least they are trying something different.

On a more important subject we are going to get our first example of how big this thing is.. Most Decks will fit 12-14 at most? There's seating for 10 in the open bow of this thing.. I'm not saying I'd load it that heavy in the front, but you can do it if ya want. Factor that in with 5 across the back plus L shape seating and the driver and passenger you're touching on 18-20 people.. Of course I'm using the people as a metric of size / space overall to help describe the size of the boat. I wouldn't recommend throwing 20 people in this thing and going ripping up the lake.

IMG_4363.jpeg

Just like the others it's got tons of storage under the seats. You can again order it in a different configuration without that center post if you like so you can put wakeboards etc.. down there.
IMG_6899.jpeg

Pic looks similar to above, but it should be noted I'm like 4' in the boat by now..

IMG_6145.jpeg

I'm pretty sure Nordic will build this with a walk off down the center if you want it. I'm not sure what the benefit would be to that as I'd keep the seating as it is across the back and just step up onto the engine hatch.

IMG_7913.jpeg

Again you can see where they put independent trip switches right in front of the throttles so when you are running you can balance the drives without taking your hands off the throttle. Obviously the trim switch on the throttle moves both at once, but sometimes you need to get them back in sync. The gunnel inset has everything including a power port.

IMG_6331.jpeg

Very Typical Nordic, clean dash layout, and everything is right where it should be. I love this dash layout with the Vessel View and the two gauges.
IMG_2592.jpeg
IMG_9098.jpeg

This boat has "cocktail" seating in it with a wrap around bench in the back. I'm not sure that I would have put the side loungers in it.. The boat already hauls more people than are ever going to go in it. I can see the base is designed as part of the innerliner, but again Nordic is a "CUSTOM" boat builder meaning they will build you whatever you want. Just add money and stir.

IMG_1605.jpeg

Storage under the side couches.. Of course you can see the gunnel inset with power etc.. Fiberglass seat backs that will be shared across a couple of different models.

IMG_6318.jpeg
IMG_3758.jpeg

The corner cushion is a bit of work to get undone because it's held in with Velcro as opposed to the double hinges.. (There's nowhere for it to hinge too). You would actually access the cooler from the center cushion that is on double hinges. Wish I took a better picture of that, but you can see the center cushion still down in this pic.

IMG_0232.jpeg

In the middle of the center cushion (coolers on either side) there's another storage area, and this is also where your 3 main breakers and battery switches are located.

IMG_8852.jpeg

Even though the boat didn't have power in it (It was sold with a pair of 565's) it is complete and ready for power.

IMG_1213.jpeg
IMG_1674.jpeg
IMG_9596.jpeg
IMG_1020.jpeg

Not much to see in here yet.. But you can notice right off the back that the engine bay is finished off and they plan on hiding a lot of the rigging underneath that beauty plate in the center.
IMG_9053.jpeg

I've never been on a 34 Nordic Deck because to my knowledge they only built one of them and it was gone almost immediately after it was built. I'm hoping to go run this one before it gets delivered!

That concludes Nordic Boats and we are onto the next mfg!

RD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Find me a company doing it better and I'll change outfits.. LOL.

Quality, Performance Price Point, and most importantly SERVICE & ETHICS are your categories.. ;). Good luck!

RD
Based on the shirts the girls at the boat show we're wearing in the eliminator booth...... I pray they don't give you an outfit of your own. Hahahaha!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Don't forget about the #1 selling 34 twin engine deck boat. The TRX 34 Party Cat by Advantage, and they have been pumping those baby's out!

Good Call Namba! I did forget about it (not intentionally!)!! For some reason I just had Magic, E-Ticket & Nordic stuck in my head.

On a side note magics are currently under construction and there should be some inventory very soon!

RD

riverroyal

Reaction score
We can debate this for days, the M33 ran 120, I know the Doug Wrights run past 120, and so on. Then it's "well the Nordic is bigger". The fact that it is $359,000 doesn't really matter. The age old "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. You going to tell me that this 5 passenger "game changer "(lmao) is better appointed than a M33, MTI 340, or DW 32? Of course you are, because that is what Nordic is paying you to do. The CNN of the boat world, fake bought news = RDP.
Is CNN reporting on the DCB race team also?

guest hs

Reaction score
I just cant get into the Nordic/Hallett product. The Eliminators still hold my heart and the Advantage as well.

Tank

Reaction score
Awesome as usual Dave.

The new stuff coming out of Nordic and Hallet are looking really nice. One constructive criticism though - please advise them to pitch those shitty west marine switches and upgrade to billet toggles or billet push-button style switches. The dashes look so nice an then you get to those switches and it just stands out like a sore thumb.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Advantage came back to the LA Boat show for the first time in 5 years! For some reason to me it seems like it's been longer than that but I'd take Bob's word for it. They brought this lime green 29 X Flight as a single boat display and it definitely got a lot of attention from Family buyers.

The one thing about the X Flight is it's considerably "deeper" than all the other decks out there and that basically stems from the idea that it is based off a Vee instead of a Cat. I'll get into that as well travel through the boat, but as I'm getting more and more into family mode with kids etc.. The idea of an X-Flight is more and more appealing to me. The huge comfy seats (love seats), the ability to do board sports etc.. There's a lot of advantages to a Vee for a family truckster.

The advantage X-Flight is a very divisive boat from the aesthetics point of view. A lot of guys absolutely love the looks of it, and almost proportionately a lot of people don't. Coming from a performance boat background one of my favorite boats of all time was the big Vee Bottom Advantage "Poker Run" edition. Had a half hard top on it with inline buckets etc.. It was the epitome of cool to me, and I always thought "When I get older I'm gonna get one of those." (Actually kind of found myself thinking about it again the other night..)

Aesthetics are subjective so six in one hand half a dozen in the other.. Either you as a person are going to like it or you're not. For myself it doesn't bother me looks wise.. The best way I could say it is It isn't a bad looking boat, it just isn't a great looking boat. Believe me I think there's a lot worse out there, and some of them would surprise ya..

What the boat may lack in a little form though it more than makes up for in Function because quite simply there's nothing else in the performance world that can compare to an X Flight in the function category.

IMG_6478.jpeg

You remember when I said the X Flight was "deep". this is the stair case leading down into the boat from the gunnel.
IMG_6740.jpeg

This is the perfect boat if you have small kids or even big kids and want to go out and actually do "Family Boating." As you can see the open bow is massive, and the seat backs are extremely high (no worries of a little one getting bounced out in this thing). The one thing I thought they might have updated by now is maybe making the seat backs raise up a little at the bottom and put some cup holders or storage areas for cell phones etc..

IMG_3536.jpeg

Looking back you can see they did a really nice double stitch pattern on the back rests of all the seats. Should be noted this is all done by hand as well! This isn't some little CNC sewing machine spitting out patterns! I don't know why but I just love the fact that they put multiple love seats in this thing. When I go through a boat I always try to imagine what it would be like to have it out for a day on the lake, or how I would use it if I own it. I could totally see myself sitting next to my wife in any of these love seats cruising down the river with a buddy driving..

IMG_0877.jpeg

I didn't do a great job with the pictures here, but this is one of the storage hatches on the top of the "fork" near the bow. They are on both sides.

IMG_6799.jpeg

If you flip up the hatch on the bow you will see a collapsable ladder and a foot wash down. The ladder is important to remember because this is a Vee, it's not like most decks where the deck is low enough you can just walk right on or hop right on. That said one of the big advantages (pun intended) of the X Flight is you don't have to worry about taking one over the bow and the boat acting like a Shovel. The rough water abilities of an X Flight are going to be a lot more than anything out there because of it's Vee Bottom Nature.. You could run one offshore without any issues and you can't really say that about too many performance deck boat platforms.

IMG_2368.jpeg

This was just the hatch on the second stair up.. I have no idea what you would use this for.

IMG_6563.jpeg

Now are you ready for this? There's a giant door on the passenger side and if you open it there's a big couch in there. Well that couch turns into an 8' Bed!! I'm not kidding when I say a couple and at least one small child could sleep in there no problem. That's by my standards as well, and I'm not exactly Mr. Camping.

If you are into overnighting or staying out on the boat, but can't see yourself in a cruiser, than an X Flight is the only performance deck boat that can pull this off to my knowledge. The others have things where you can make a bed in the open bow etc.. But to truly have a sleeping quarters I don't know of anything else out there.

IMG_1873.jpeg

On the opposite side of the both there is the sink and trash receptacle along with the stair case. It should be noted that this boat comes in two configurations! You can ditch that stair case and there can be a "Cuddy" here which is basically another long bench with fiberglass above it. It is open to the elements but some Canvas and some snaps and it could make a second sleep quarters for kids etc..

IMG_6021.jpeg

Here's your second love seat on the passenger side (first was in the open bow).

IMG_1000.jpeg

Like everything in this boat the glover box is HUGE!!

IMG_3196.jpeg

I love everything about the dash of the X Flight. From the little edge detail they put between the tach and the speedometer to where the throttle is at etc.. It's extremely roomy and extremely comfortable to sit in / drive etc.. It doesn't have that "race" feel to it, but on the same token this isn't a race boat per say.

IMG_2730.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg

You will notice that the entire engine bay is Gel coated and finished off. This comes Standard on an Advantage and is a considerable upgrade at every other mfg!

IMG_4121.jpeg

What you are seeing in the pic with the two clear hoses is one is the line to the foot wash in the front.. The other is a bilge hose.

IMG_9981.jpeg

On the walk off at the transom they had another hatch. When I opened it I was kind of surprised to see this big removable tub in there. It's actually kind of smart to take advantage of the depth of the Vee bottom and not just have a gaping hole. This is where I'd put floaties, or kids sand toys etc.. You just pull the whole tub out and set it where ever ya want. Kinda hokey, but I'll tell ya what as a Dad this would work and work well. (I'd put a small drain at the back).

IMG_7986.jpeg

This boat is all about creature comforts and even the guys in the back have their own glove boxes.

IMG_2740.jpeg

Just like the front one they are huge and you can put all kinds of stuff in there. I think they should carpet in these or do something though. At the bottom of the pic you will notice a little magnet latch. That works a lot better than I would have given it credit for!

IMG_1683.jpeg

Down in the drivers foot well area you'll notice a hatch, it contains the breaker panel for the boat.

IMG_1240.jpeg
IMG_3531.jpeg

The boat does carry fresh water (for the sink) which would definitely help when overnighting etc.. Clever little velcro strap for the trash can.

IMG_9506.jpeg

This one had a bit of an upgrade to the stereo.

IMG_1138.jpeg

It's not as pretty as the 90 degree wiring jobs etc.. But this isn't a bad way to do it. I'm not a boat rigger and someone told me years ago the point of the loops but I can't remember now. I'll revert back to the idea that if something happens you got a little wire to work with to fix it.

IMG_1466.jpeg

Like I said earlier if I'm going through it I'd like to see how I and my family would use it. I see my kids bouncing around in this thing, my wife chilling out with a little wood cutting board (rubber feet on the bottom of courser) that goes in that area with the stainless bar cutting cheese and sipping wine with her friends. It really is an entertaining / family style boat.

IMG_0982.jpeg

My pics seem to be a little out of order here, but right behind the throttle / shifter there is dual cup holders for the captain as well as a power port / audio in. Nice so you can just throw your phone in one, and cocktail in the other.

IMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_2729.jpeg

I thought it was kind of cool that they tooled this little piece up. They didn't have any great place to put the speaker so they made a little speaker pod just fo the X flights.

IMG_6362.jpeg

So I get to looking up in there and I see this.. I'm like WTF is that thing? I have never seen one before.

It turns out all the new builds have to have this little deal where you turn it on when you are fueling the boat and an alarm or something goes off if it over fills? I'm not sure what the hell it does. If you have a newer boat though I guess one of these is supposed to be in it! (Don't tell me if it's not.. I don't want or need mfg's getting in trouble).

IMG_6006.jpeg

So this is the gas cap that they are using (admittedly better than the ones a lot of other guys are using???). At least it still looks like a nice stainless piece and not some plastic piece of junk. On the left side of the bezel you can see a red LED light. Again I have no idea what that whole program is about, but welcome to CARB. Like I said earlier at least this fuel fill looks decent.

IMG_9288.jpeg

As we are coming to the end of the X flight you are going to see that this thing has the giant sun pad, giant swim step.. The boat is all about family fun and comfort and for that purpose I'd give it a 10 / 10.. That said with anything in life when something sways so hard in one direction it has to detract from another.. She's not the hottest chick on the block, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers either.

IMG_3271.jpeg

Reaction score
those little glove boxes on the back seat arm wrests are actually insulated ice chests with drains

riverroyal

Reaction score
I need to ride on a x-flight. The layout and usable space looks great. The exterior look i cant get my head around still. It prob rides nice

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's the most I've seen of an X Flight. I've seen one at Pirate's, but aside from that and ad pics, no details. I kind of like the layout. As for V or cat hull, I have only been in cats. It would stand to reason a V would do better in rough water. That would be why the big boys off shore use them...right? So, I think you need to borrow one, and get a right up on handling and ride characteristics...only dumbed down for us laymen. Horsepower and speed are usually in direct proportion to the cubic dollars applied. Hull design is something entirely different, and I'm pretty honest about my lack of knowledge when it comes to most things boating:rolleyes:

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Wonder if the x flight is cheaper to insure considering its not a cat?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's the most I've seen of an X Flight. I've seen one at Pirate's, but aside from that and ad pics, no details. I kind of like the layout. As for V or cat hull, I have only been in cats. It would stand to reason a V would do better in rough water. That would be why the big boys off shore use them...right? So, I think you need to borrow one, and get a right up on handling and ride characteristics...only dumbed down for us laymen. Horsepower and speed are usually in direct proportion to the cubic dollars applied. Hull design is something entirely different, and I'm pretty honest about my lack of knowledge when it comes to most things boating:rolleyes:

The X Flight isn't going to run the speeds that the cat versions are going to run.. That said they are all tested when they aren't full of 10+ people etc. It won't pull the top end #'s a Cat will in a test, but it won't be affected as much when you do load it up. There's pro's and con's to everything as always.. Medium lake chop a Cat will ride a little smoother.. You get into the big stuff though and the Vee is gonna get you home.

Like I said it's a very practical boat, and one that five years ago I thought was a different and cool concept but would never own one.. Now I'm getting older and three kids etc.. I see that place for the kids to nap, or possibly camp in the thing for a night? That might change things a little. One of the things I love about my 270 is we can actually sleep in the thing.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So moving forward I think we should probably hit what was the most expensive and impressive piece of hardware in the performance Hall Dave Magoo's new M44. This boat isn't exactly your normal performance boat and you are about to find out why! Dave Magoo and Tony C will take us through what is there most impressive built to date featuring everything from an automated camera in the tunnel, to Air Conditioning and Air conditioned seats, right up to a cascading water fall down the steps of this beast to keep the deck cool while you are walking on it!

Unfortunately Tilt boats (in the up position) are just about impossible to get pictures of so we couldn't cruise through the whole boat to see the details, but these are the pics I took of it at the show. At 1.3 Million dollars it was by far the most expensive display in the performance hall and was a great blend of performance vs creature comforts.

For the most part I'm gonna let the pictures do the talking and just chime in when it's something someone wouldn't normally notice.

IMG_1223.jpeg
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_1454.jpeg

Note their trade mark "baseball" stitching on the headrest (which is also adjustable by the way!).
IMG_0032.jpeg

Here you get your first glimpse the the Air-conditioning vents on the dash.

IMG_1295.jpeg

The seats themselves have sections of perforated material to allow air to pass through for the air conditioned seats.

IMG_8970.jpg

Here just behind the throttles you can see a switch plate with the button for the heated / air conditioned seats. The other two buttons are power seats that go forward / back as well as up and down! Inside the glove box is wireless phone charging!

IMG_7101.jpg
IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7188.jpeg
IMG_5457.jpeg
IMG_5887.jpeg

Here you can see the air-conditioning compressor on the starboard side. There's one on the port side as well.

IMG_8479.jpeg
IMG_3419.jpeg

If you look at the fire suppression they actually had the bottle wrapped in Carbon Fiber Vinyl. It's not hugely expensive and it really is the small touches like this that make engine bays look 10/10.

IMG_4784.jpg

If you look at the top of the Sea Strainer you can see that little wire that leads to it. This powers a little LED to light up the sea strainer, there is a camera above it so that you can see if the strainers are full of water on the center screen in the cockpit.

IMG_4728.jpg

This is the first 44 when the new transom vents at the top of the stairs. You can also see that the engine hatches had the windows deleted.

IMG_2565.jpeg

You can't see it in the picture but behind that mesh there is a piece of billet that will shoot water through the mesh and how onto the deck to cool the sea deck. I'm really curious to see how this is going to work, especially how it's going to work long term. The only major problem I have with it is the actual delivery of the water itself. I think it should be done at the vent, and not through the vent. Any performance variations (pump performance, voltage, alkali build up, temperature) and the water is going to hit the vent and then splash back into the engine bay.

IMG_7525.jpeg
IMG_0651.jpeg

My only "constructive" criticism for DCB is more of an idea than anything. Years Back GT Marine built a series of Ski Race boats and they took some automotive gas flaps and installed them. It was a very cool feature and really preserved the lines of the boat and hid the gas fills. With the modern day CARB gas fills everyone has to use, it might be something to consider in the future as a good way to hide them and maintain aesthetics.

IMG_1336.jpeg

Overall what an incredible piece of hardware that is sure to turn heads at all the events they goto this year! Congrats to Dave Magoo on your new boat, it was certainly worth the wait!

RD

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I asked the only other media outlet what they thought the two best boats in the show were and why and without skipping a beat they said "The Nordic and the red cobra." Which is ironic because that's the exact same conclusion I came too as well. I put the reasons as to why I felt the boat was "the boat" at the boat show, if ya feel different then hey that is fine not everyone has to agree on everything as mentioned at the beginning of the thread these are my opinions.

The boat show report has never been based on advertising dollars, and if one of my advertisers does something that sucks I call em on it same as the non advertisers.. and if someone does something that's cool I call it same as I do the advertisers. You can go back to 18,17,16,15,14 and beyond to see that. I find it sad actually that you'd question my integrity over a show of loyalty to another brand.. I woulda thought no matter what you are personally going through in life I was worth more to ya than that.

As I said before it would be interesting to get them all together and see how they compare. One person (Bullhead Bully) just happens to own a new DW32 and I'm sure we will be out running them.. For information and fun though, not for hate and brand loyalty. I'd love to have an M33 come out as well, but I'd suspect it's easier to take pot shots on an Internet forum rather than actually prove anything.

RD
Cobra always puts out bitchen stuff. Starting w my boat :p they just don’t get the same love as advertisers

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Cobra always puts out bitchen stuff. Starting w my boat :p they just don’t get the same love as advertisers

The Red Cobra and the Nordic 355 are my two favorite boats at the show.. I'm literally posting the Cobra interview and boats right now. Most of what is determining the order is (Best Booth) always goes first, and the rest are just in the order I took the pictures.

RD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The Red Cobra and the Nordic 355 are my two favorite boats at the show.. I'm literally posting the Cobra interview and boats right now. Most of what is determining the order is (Best Booth) always goes first, and the rest are just in the order I took the pictures.

RD
Looking forward to it. I feel they’ve done a lot of nice stuff recently. They don’t push it out there like other manufacturers. I never understood that but it’s not my money being spent. Glad they made it to the show this year. I’m torn between Barron and cobra for my next build

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Red 280 Venom from Cobra Boats is one of the sexiest boats I have ever seen. In a world of cats where at a distance it can sometimes be hard to tell what brand of boat it is, the Cobra stands out on its own. The front details between the sponsons are not only unique but extremely pleasing to the eye. The detail in the hood mimicking oversized louvres fits right in with the theme of the solid windshield and the high body lines through the cockpit area and transom area. The whole thing from bow to stern just screams "Muscle Boat" and it's very appropriate that the first one ended up getting a Merc 860 and a 6 drive. Then you add in the solid red with a single black racing stripe, and the black bottom! Good Lord... There's a few boats that make my top 10 sexy list, but this thing is not only in it, it's all up in it and nudging a few of the top ones around.

It's the kind of boat that I'd literally just go out in my garage and stare at it for awhile in the middle of the night, and then go back to bed type thing.

IMG_5587.jpeg

I really enjoyed the reversed "hood louvres" they put on this! It's subtle and non intrusive but adds a ton of character to the bow. You can start to see the flake in the red in this pic as well.

IMG_2297.jpeg

If you want to know how to make a dash look like an exotic car I'd say they nailed it. It's not overstated, but yet somehow screams $$$.

IMG_4572.jpeg

It's not hard to see why I felt this was the sexiest boat at the show. Look at the edge details in the stitching, the edge details on the lower part of the dash itself. The billet windshield bracket normally reserved for boats that aren't in this category or normally double the price. They really went all out on every aesthetic detail, and it shows.

IMG_8423.jpeg

The overall shape is simple yet at the same time purpose built. The screens add all the technology you'd ever need and keep things clean and tight. The only thing I'd change if I was part of the industrial design team would be to put the screens vertically and slightly recessed instead of layed back like they are, and I'd probably add a little overhang over them. (You watch now that I said that in the boat show report you will see a boat with that at some point in the future.. It will help to keep the sun out of the screens so you can see them. The recessed part)

IMG_6928.jpeg

The interior design of the back matches the rest of the boat perfectly. Being that this isn't exactly what I'd call a normal "family" boat, I think I would have added some side bolster to the seats to make them a little more individual instead of a traditional flat bench. Either way it still looks great.

IMG_2611.jpeg

Right down to the metal emblems.. Can this thing scream muscle boat anymore than it does?

IMG_1180.jpeg

I know we are supposed to talk about the functionality and the ifs ands or buts.. But I'm never going down there.. This isn't a day boat guys, it's the Corvette you get out on Sunday's and cruise Highway 101.. Blow a couple people off at a stop light on the way home and then put it back on the garage. (Button head is missing on the top right screw BTW.).

That said for actual functionality there's more room than most to get in there if you had too. I just wouldn't use this boat like that.

IMG_1204.jpeg

Passenger foot well.

IMG_9625.jpeg

Sea Zone switching, and in case you missed it the boat has a pretty big stereo in it with Speakers tucked away everywhere.

IMG_1632.jpeg

You almost expect to see a 442 Badge on the hood or something, but in this case it would be "QC4 860"

IMG_1234.jpeg

Loved the rear vents / Rear gas cap.

IMG_2994.jpeg

If you have to have these POS fuel fills this is a good solution to hiding them. This particular oversized flap with the bolt ring etc.. Looks the part and adds to the aesthetics fo the boat. For most applications though I think just a gas flap to hide it would work better. We are on a theme here with this cobra though, and this one is working..

IMG_0413.jpeg

Deck lid is just as sexy as the dash pad, and again screams $$$.

IMG_6726.jpeg

And the stern of the boat is just as sexy as the front! (Is there anyway to push those ladders back more under the swim step?)

IMG_1672.jpeg

Then to finish it off..

IMG_8298.jpeg

Of course it has a remote with 4 functions on it. I don't remember what they all are, to be honest I was pretty enamored with the looks of this thing. I know one of them turns on and off the interior lights, and I believe another one turns on and off the underwater lights. I couldn't tell you what 3 / 4 do.. but if it was mine one of them would be opening the engine hatch and the other one would be starting the boat. :D.

IMG_5278.jpeg

Contrary to the X Flight before this thing is all Form and a little less function. Is it possible to use this as a family boat? Sure it is, if you don't mind the cleaver propeller, lack of storage, and any flat areas anywhere topside. I can tell you from experience it's also possible to haul Lumber in a Ferrari. "Just because ya can, doesn't mean ya should."

To paraphrase a line from Reservoir dogs "If my kids even dreamed about doing half the shit they do in my 270 in this thing, they better wake up and apologize."

This is a young mans boat, and it's designed to give you the look and feel of an exotic in a package that is capable of running on the river. It's for a select clientele with discerning tastes that understand to get something you have to give up something. You aren't parking your Lambo next to the shopping cart return, and you probably aren't tying this thing off on the gritty buoys that can be found along the bars on the Parker Strip.

That said I'd imagine part of the cleaning process of the boat would be throwing out all the bikinis that get left on it.

RD

Last edited:

Sandbarhoppen

Reaction score
The X Flight isn't going to run the speeds that the cat versions are going to run.. That said they are all tested when they aren't full of 10+ people etc. It won't pull the top end #'s a Cat will in a test, but it won't be affected as much when you do load it up. There's pro's and con's to everything as always.. Medium lake chop a Cat will ride a little smoother.. You get into the big stuff though and the Vee is gonna get you home.

Like I said it's a very practical boat, and one that five years ago I thought was a different and cool concept but would never own one.. Now I'm getting older and three kids etc.. I see that place for the kids to nap, or possibly camp in the thing for a night? That might change things a little. One of the things I love about my 270 is we can actually sleep in the thing.

RD
You pretty much hit it on the head with the performance and usable deep interior space. We had a cat for 16 years and tested a X Flight in June last year in 117 degree heat and windy conditions. We were so impressed we sold our 27 Cat and ordered this boat in July. As far as numbers with only 7 hrs on the boat last weekend we had 6 adults with 90 gal of fuel and 20mph winds and she ran just at 70. Plus it gets to 60 FAST for a 29 foot boat. As per Mercury Racing I didn't let her get to the top RPM and only held it at 5000rpm for 20 seconds. It definitely is not a cat but the handling and turning characteristics of this boat is Awesome. We are extremely happy with our choice. Family, fun and usable boat for all occasion Yes.. top end race boat no.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The big deck boats I figured would never be the speed demons. Just by the added mass of the seating, and structure, I figure they must weigh considerably more than a non-deck style. Fast is a relative term. 65 while drinking a soda and kids eating lunch...is damn fast. The same size boat with 4-6 seats, closed bow deal...65 is warming up. At 60 in my jet boat, I'm peeking over my shoulder, making sure no kids flew out. The X Flight RD did the write up on had a sink, a bed and two loveseats...nicer than my first house, and much prettier.
Getting one isn't on the current horizon, but the horizon changes from time to time:)

Reactions: DWC

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So moving forward I think we should probably hit what was the most expensive and impressive piece of hardware in the performance Hall Dave Magoo's new M44. This boat isn't exactly your normal performance boat and you are about to find out why! Dave Magoo and Tony C will take us through what is there most impressive built to date featuring everything from an automated camera in the tunnel, to Air Conditioning and Air conditioned seats, right up to a cascading water fall down the steps of this beast to keep the deck cool while you are walking on it!

Unfortunately Tilt boats (in the up position) are just about impossible to get pictures of so we couldn't cruise through the whole boat to see the details, but these are the pics I took of it at the show. At 1.3 Million dollars it was by far the most expensive display in the performance hall and was a great blend of performance vs creature comforts.

For the most part I'm gonna let the pictures do the talking and just chime in when it's something someone wouldn't normally notice.

View attachment 721367 View attachment 721368 View attachment 721369

Note their trade mark "baseball" stitching on the headrest (which is also adjustable by the way!).
View attachment 721370

Here you get your first glimpse the the Air-conditioning vents on the dash.

View attachment 721371

The seats themselves have sections of perforated material to allow air to pass through for the air conditioned seats.

View attachment 721361

Here just behind the throttles you can see a switch plate with the button for the heated / air conditioned seats. The other two buttons are power seats that go forward / back as well as up and down! Inside the glove box is wireless phone charging!

View attachment 721360 View attachment 721362

View attachment 721373 View attachment 721374 View attachment 721375

Here you can see the air-conditioning compressor on the starboard side. There's one on the port side as well.

View attachment 721376 View attachment 721377

If you look at the fire suppression they actually had the bottle wrapped in Carbon Fiber Vinyl. It's not hugely expensive and it really is the small touches like this that make engine bays look 10/10.

View attachment 721365

If you look at the top of the Sea Strainer you can see that little wire that leads to it. This powers a little LED to light up the sea strainer, there is a camera above it so that you can see if the strainers are full of water on the center screen in the cockpit.

View attachment 721364

This is the first 44 when the new transom vents at the top of the stairs. You can also see that the engine hatches had the windows deleted.

View attachment 721378

You can't see it in the picture but behind that mesh there is a piece of billet that will shoot water through the mesh and how onto the deck to cool the sea deck. I'm really curious to see how this is going to work, especially how it's going to work long term. The only major problem I have with it is the actual delivery of the water itself. I think it should be done at the vent, and not through the vent. Any performance variations (pump performance, voltage, alkali build up, temperature) and the water is going to hit the vent and then splash back into the engine bay.

View attachment 721379 View attachment 721380

My only "constructive" criticism for DCB is more of an idea than anything. Years Back GT Marine built a series of Ski Race boats and they took some automotive gas flaps and installed them. It was a very cool feature and really preserved the lines of the boat and hid the gas fills. With the modern day CARB gas fills everyone has to use, it might be something to consider in the future as a good way to hide them and maintain aesthetics.

View attachment 721372

Overall what an incredible piece of hardware that is sure to turn heads at all the events they goto this year! Congrats to Dave Magoo on your new boat, it was certainly worth the wait!

RD
Do the 1550's have a duel fuel system? I didn't realize that was the case if so.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The big deck boats I figured would never be the speed demons. Just by the added mass of the seating, and structure, I figure they must weigh considerably more than a non-deck style. Fast is a relative term. 65 while drinking a soda and kids eating lunch...is damn fast. The same size boat with 4-6 seats, closed bow deal...65 is warming up. At 60 in my jet boat, I'm peeking over my shoulder, making sure no kids flew out. The X Flight RD did the write up on had a sink, a bed and two loveseats...nicer than my first house, and much prettier.
Getting one isn't on the current horizon, but the horizon changes from time to time:)

A Howard 288 with a lobbed 30 Bravo prop / Merc 600 runs 90 mph unloaded.. Low Mid 80's with 5 people in it and 1/2 tanks.
A Shockwave 28 with a labbed 28 Bravo prop / Merc 600 runs 85'ish mph unloaded.. High 70's low with 5 people in it and fuel.
And so on and so on..

When you don't load them up with a ton of shit, a lot of these boats will run pretty damn hard. When you load them up with 12 people and coolers for the day etc.. None of them are gonna run that well or hard.. LOL.

Do the 1550's have a duel fuel system? I didn't realize that was the case if so.

Yes the 1350 / 1550 comes with two Key Fobs.. Depending on which one you pick depends on the settings of the motor.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/1550-2/

They also make a straight 1350 (91 Octane)

And then an 1100 / 1350 Combo Dual Fuel deal as well

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/dual-calibration-13501100/

Those are all for public use.. For race only they make up 1650 & 1750 models as well.

RD

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My father 29 Nordic deck ran 102 4th of July weekend with 3/4 tanks, 2 people and all of the boating shit plus coolers. Would run 108 in February with the same weight. This had a 950 hp motor in it. Turning a 30 5 blade.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A Howard 288 with a lobbed 30 Bravo prop / Merc 600 runs 90 mph unloaded.. Low Mid 80's with 5 people in it and 1/2 tanks.
A Shockwave 28 with a labbed 28 Bravo prop / Merc 600 runs 85'ish mph unloaded.. High 70's low with 5 people in it and fuel.
And so on and so on..

When you don't load them up with a ton of shit, a lot of these boats will run pretty damn hard. When you load them up with 12 people and coolers for the day etc.. None of them are gonna run that well or hard.. LOL.

Yes the 1350 / 1550 comes with two Key Fobs.. Depending on which one you pick depends on the settings of the motor.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/1550-2/

They also make a straight 1350 (91 Octane)

And then an 1100 / 1350 Combo Dual Fuel deal as well

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/dual-calibration-13501100/

Those are all for public use.. For race only they make up 1650 & 1750 models as well.

RD
Interesting. I saw they had the 2 different programs for the different horsepower ratings of the engines. I just didn't realize they were designed in a manner to which you could run 2 separate fuel systems and switch between the 2 so easily. That's pretty badass!

FastLoudPhoto

Tommy Gun's Backup Guy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dave. I'm guessing we won't be putting EP Insurance in the newsletter any more? I mean, we wouldn't want it to be biased, right? lol

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm just not used to the look with all the digital dashes. To me it looks like there is just so much empty space. I'm sure this will grow on me over time though and is just a sign of changing time and technology.

The DCB looks sick. I must say though all of those nice to haves sound just like something that will break to me. Granted if you have the money to build that boat you have money to pay someone to maintain it, as opposed to turning wrenches yourself like myself.

575cat

Reaction score
My father 29 Nordic deck ran 102 4th of July weekend with 3/4 tanks, 2 people and all of the boating shit plus coolers. Would run 108 in February with the same weight. This had a 950 hp motor in it. Turning a 30 5 blade.
by looking on the Nordic site the 29 deck outboard is lighter than the 28SS outboard both without power .

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
by looking on the Nordic site the 29 deck outboard is lighter than the 28SS outboard both without power .

I'd say that's a misprint.. I'd find it pretty hard to believe the 29 Deck weighs less than a 28SS.

RD