WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2019+ Silverado- Issues in Updating Computer for Larger Factory Wheels

1rvrryd

Reaction score
Good Afternoon-

So I recently purchased a 2020 Silverado RST with 18" wheels and tires (way too small for the truck). So I bought some 20" OEM take-off off Market Place but the problem I've run into is that the Dealers cannot/won't update the computer to the larger tire size. One Dealer told me they can't because they did not install the wheels and can't update the computer; other Dealer said only way to do it is purchase wheels from GM accessories where you get a code for the Dealer to unlock that portion of the computer to adjust tire size. Has anybody else heard this or ran into this problem?

I can purchase a SuperChips in-line control module (Pulsar LT) which has the ability to change several things (tire size, DFM on/off, Auto-Stop on/off, speed limiter, pedal sensitivity, etc.), but no engine HP performance gains (i.e. economy/normal/towing/sport).

First looking to correct tire size so speedometer and fuel range/economy is correct on dash, but if this cost $100+ for updating computer, should I just buy the in-line module ($450)? What are other options?

- Grant

Thanks for the input.
2020 Silverado RST.jpg

robby dmax

Reaction score
I believe the hyper Tech unit will do what you’re looking for and I believe it’s only 229. This is not actual one you need. Seems pretty simple and easy to use.
6DAF5F40-A1C3-4BAF-99E8-D2D5CD573D2B.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
DiabloSport tuner will also correct for this.

Or call another dealer, I think they’re BS’ing you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Be careful using anything to make "unauthorized" changes to the truck's computer. Even though you are not changing any of the drivetrain programming, a dickhead dealer can flag your truck as being "tuned" and every dealer can deny you any drivetrain warranty work.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Just leave it alone you will be putting less miles on the truck ;)

The current platform cars/trucks have computer programming issues. GM did a good job keeping people out thus far. Performance wise a handheld won't do much. Ine the event you have a warranty issue with the drivetrain you don't want them to see you modified anything.

I don't think the hypertech is traceable is you need to fix the speedo.

1rvrryd

Reaction score
Just leave it alone you will be putting less miles on the truck ;)

The current platform cars/trucks have computer programming issues. GM did a good job keeping people out thus far. Performance wise a handheld won't do much. Ine the event you have a warranty issue with the drivetrain you don't want them to see you modified anything.

I don't think the hypertech is traceable is you need to fix the speedo.

Thanks, and agreed on the less miles, 4% less than actual. I've read that when the hypertech/superchips/diablo etc. are unplugged, speedometer and other changes go back to factory- the more I think about it, I think these devices just alter the data being shown on the gauge, or tell the computer you turned off the auto-stop in the cab even though you didn't push the button. I'll give it some more thought. I did get used to it on my last truck going to larger tires, but I also had a 36 gal tank in that Tundra, Silverado is 24 gal.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I haven’t played with a 2019 or 2020, but on earlier models, any bi-directional scan tool can perform this. The service writer is likely just an uninformed dickhead.