WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Goodwood racing videos

rrrr

Reaction score
That McLaren MkIC was a giant killer in Can Am. The Lola T70 MKIIs were also great Can Am cars. The British chassis combined with America V-8s really hauled ass.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I really respect guys, drivers and owners, that take vintage cars like that and flog them. The cars probably appreciate stretching their legs too.

spectras only

Reaction score
1606721550621.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sometimes it goes all wrong.

Knowing that it can go horribly awry is one of the reasons why I respect them. Racing modern equipment is dangerous, and can lead to injury, death or at a minimum the damaging of a purpose built car. These cars are irreplaceable. Once destroyed, they cannot be readily replaced by ordering a new chassis or body kit. Oft times, the motors alone are one of maybe a handful left in the world.

spectras only

Reaction score
Back in about 1982, I could have bought a 79 Aston Martin Vantage for 50K cdn. Friend was a Jag/Aston/Lotus dealer at MCL Motors. Owner of MCL had this gorgeous Vantage V-8 for sale that me and my friend took out for a ride. I love late model Astons but this old car would be my choice. See how much one sold for in todays dollars, would have been a great investment. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25452/lot/214/

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've only been around a handful of vintage sportscars. The one that tops my list was a 64 Zagatto Bodied Aston Martin. British racing green with black leather. I got to ride around the block in it, and turn some wrenches on it. The guy I was working for at the time did high end "detailing". Apparently his customer collected Zagatto bodied cars...I didn't even know what that meant. I knew I liked what I saw though, and also knew it was a wee bit beyond my means 😂

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Knowing that it can go horribly awry is one of the reasons why I respect them. Racing modern equipment is dangerous, and can lead to injury, death or at a minimum the damaging of a purpose built car. These cars are irreplaceable. Once destroyed, they cannot be readily replaced by ordering a new chassis or body kit. Oft times, the motors alone are one of maybe a handful left in the world.

Rather see them "go out with their boots on" than rot behind a velvet rope.

Years ago I read an article about vintage auto racing. The author was somewhat clutching his pearls about the high value of the cars. One of the owners was quoted as saying all the cars were documented ex race cars and all had been wrecked, often more than once. They just fix them and bring them back out the next year.

Going to Goodwood is on my list.