WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Ram Diesel Delete questions

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
You just described my 07 5.9. I have people offering to buy it for more than I paid for it in 09. It’s. Got 125K miles. As much as I I’d like to have a new one I can’t bring myself to get rid of it.

If i could ever find my 06 5.9 i would buy it back in heartbeat if it isn't beat to shit. I sold it to a cop in haleiwa years ago...last time i saw it he still had it shined like a diamond in his carport under a cover. That truck was the most reliable one ive ever owned.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I had my truck at the Ram dealer in TX today...super cool guys to deal with and they are reasonable.

Was there for fuel filters (i dont want to bathe in diesel to do it), and an oil change as well as a recall.

My SA, who will occasionally stop by and have a beer at the house and I were talking about the cp4 failure issue and the surging issue. I made sure to have some stuff documented in my service log.

He just had a deleted one come in with the fuel pump failure...essentially the fuel system was toast. He was clear that as a dealer they don't care and still do alot of warranty work on the ones with deletes... But since this was a $13k repair FCA sent a rep in, who nixed it and voided the warranty...even though it was obvious that the delete didn't cause it. Otherwise they were going to do it under warranty..

I had asked him about doing the cat filter conversions (the factory ones are stupid expensive and a PITA). He was blunt and said to touch NOTHING until a recall or something is done... there are a few ideas floating around on what will happen.

I'd hold off on the delete but thats just me...unless you are ponying up 3k at the same time to do a cp3 conversion.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I had my truck at the Ram dealer in TX today...super cool guys to deal with and they are reasonable.

Was there for fuel filters (i dont want to bathe in diesel to do it), and an oil change as well as a recall.

My SA, who will occasionally stop by and have a beer at the house and I were talking about the cp4 failure issue and the surging issue. I made sure to have some stuff documented in my service log.

He just had a deleted one come in with the fuel pump failure...essentially the fuel system was toast. He was clear that as a dealer they don't care and still do alot of warranty work on the ones with deletes... But since this was a $13k repair FCA sent a rep in, who nixed it and voided the warranty...even though it was obvious that the delete didn't cause it. Otherwise they were going to do it under warranty..

I had asked him about doing the cat filter conversions (the factory ones are stupid expensive and a PITA). He was blunt and said to touch NOTHING until a recall or something is done... there are a few ideas floating around on what will happen.

I'd hold off on the delete but thats just me...unless you are ponying up 3k at the same time to do a cp3 conversion.

I have deleted my dodge it's a 2017 with 80k miles. I know when you up the ponies the stock fuel system is a week point but I don't push mine hard. Any mention of this being a issue regardless of how you drive?

By the way fuel filters aren't to bad if you put a bleeder hose on to drain into a pan. Otherwise like you said, you take a bath. Just a little trick I learned.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have deleted my dodge it's a 2017 with 80k miles. I know when you up the ponies the stock fuel system is a week point but I don't push mine hard. Any mention of this being a issue regardless of how you drive?

By the way fuel filters aren't to bad if you put a bleeder hose on to drain into a pan. Otherwise like you said, you take a bath. Just a little trick I learned.

The 19/20's have a bad fuel pump design (cp4) and FCA knows it...plentiful reports of it failing and taking injectors etc with it. Its the only 2 years with that pump, the 21's have a different design so they know its an issue. My truck is a 20, i just crossed 15k miles...Ive got the HO so 400/1000 is plenty for me to do what I want it to. Ive owned deleted diesels..Im not in a hurry to do it again..

I ordered a case of 6 filters for engine/tank from the dealer for WAY less than even amazon.. I'll supply my own oem filters and just pay the labor going forward. Its not worth $60 to me for the hassle.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
The 19/20's have a bad fuel pump design (cp4) and FCA knows it...plentiful reports of it failing and taking injectors etc with it. Its the only 2 years with that pump, the 21's have a different design so they know its an issue. My truck is a 20, i just crossed 15k miles...Ive got the HO so 400/1000 is plenty for me to do what I want it to. Ive owned deleted diesels..Im not in a hurry to do it again..

I ordered a case of 6 filters for engine/tank from the dealer for WAY less than even amazon.. I'll supply my own oem filters and just pay the labor going forward. Its not worth $60 to me for the hassle.
Damn.... Ummm so.... You going to share the hookup? Haha jk! I completely agree with you on not being in a rush or having to do the delete. The 400/1000 was perfect for me but to pay money for a recurring maintenance issue vs. diy delete was worth it in my reasoning. Your knowledge is good to know thank you for sharing. $60 is bargain I think in AZ it's between 100-200 dollars for fuel filters. I just knock em out with my oil changes.

I think it's a cp3 prior to 19'. Aftermarket you can do a dual setup. Do you know if it's practical?

Last edited:

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
The main question is who does tuning ? I sold my 16 Cummins truck that I freshly deleted and tuned last year like a fool. The guys I used to use no longer tune. Aggravating.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
The main question is who does tuning ? I sold my 16 Cummins truck that I freshly deleted and tuned last year like a fool. The guys I used to use no longer tune. Aggravating.
I used raceme. I've know of a couple guys that use EFI live and have found local guys that are no namers that write custom tunes, and have been really happy with their work.

If anyone in Arizona is interested there are really good mechanics in cottonwood, and Prescott I can turn you onto.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Damn.... Ummm so.... You going to share the hookup? Haha jk! I completely agree with you on not being in a rush or having to do the delete. The 400/1000 was perfect for me but to pay money for a recurring maintenance issue vs. diy delete was worth it in my reasoning. Your knowledge is good to know thank you for sharing. $60 is bargain I think in AZ it's between 100-200 dollars for fuel filters. I just knock em out with my oil changes.

I think it's a cp3 prior to 19'. Aftermarket you can do a dual setup. Do you know if it's practical?

$60 is the labor they charged to do both and rotate/balance tires on my 20..im not bathing in diesel for that price lol. I probably could have worded that better but Ill get you the invoice cost he gave me and PM it to you.. I wont make a havasu run until late may (driving), maybe he can ship them?

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
$60 is the labor they charged to do both and rotate/balance tires on my 20..im not bathing in diesel for that price lol. I probably could have worded that better but Ill get you the invoice cost he gave me and PM it to you.. I wont make a havasu run until late may (driving), maybe he can ship them?
Hell yeah I'm interested!! no I completely understood you were talking labor. Average labor rate in AZ is close to $100 an hour I believe. I'll buy the fuck out of those filters!! Haha thanks man!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

That is my understanding that it was a cp3 prior. The tech working on my truck told me a cp3 conversion would be around $3k at most shops...but he hit on the point they are expecting FCM to do some sort of recall/replacement and to just wait it out. I will trade this truck off at 100k so if it lasts me till then its fine. I honestly don't know anything about the duals...

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
word around the turbo cooler is 2 weeks ago carb and another group cant remember the name i think it was called F.a.s.t are cracking down on custom tuners gas and diesel. the gent who does his diesel tunes is also the same guy who does the computer mods for LS swaps got the early morning visit all laptops/ computers confiscated and business put on hold till after they go through his shit and make sure all his tunes were for "off-road" use only... got emails and all.
All the fucked up shit in the world and this is public enemy number one for these people. Fuck’em! 😡

I guess I’ll just keep driving my old shit. 😞

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
That is my understanding that it was a cp3 prior. The tech working on my truck told me a cp3 conversion would be around $3k at most shops...but he hit on the point they are expecting FCM to do some sort of recall/replacement and to just wait it out. I will trade this truck off at 100k so if it lasts me till then its fine. I honestly don't know anything about the duals...
You're worthless to me!! Jk that's good to know. I think the concept behind the duals is good if one fails the other takes on the load but then again it's aftermarket. To me factory is best/most reliable. No telling what you get going aftermarket.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Just get an 03 49 states version. Nothing to delete. Not even a catalytic converter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I bought a 2018 Ram a couple years ago and gave my 04 Cummins truck to my son. When the SHTF some day the 04 will be the savior. 49 state truck HO. No emissions.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The CP4 Injector Pump issue is just ruining the diesel experience far faster than any DPF issue. If out of warranty this deal can cost $15k and up. Its a true Holy fuck deal. All three are using it except Ram has moved back to a CP3 and I suspect the true HP and Tq drops. Bosch is just hiding its head and blaming the world.

I purposely bought a leftover 2018 to get the tried and true CP3 along with a proven engine block, rods, pistons. It only has 800 lb ft and 370 hp which to most is a massive disappointment :p ;). The proven 68RFE trans I missed out on. When the warranty is up I will put an allision in with ATS's new true bolt in. Then I will have a life'r truck.

hallett21

Reaction score
My stock 16 ram has 385hp and 900lbs of torque. How much more do you guys need lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatnam2

Reaction score
The CP4 Injector Pump issue is just ruining the diesel experience far faster than any DPF issue. If out of warranty this deal can cost $15k and up. Its a true Holy fuck deal. All three are using it except Ram has moved back to a CP3 and I suspect the true HP and Tq drops. Bosch is just hiding its head and blaming the world.

I purposely bought a leftover 2018 to get the tried and true CP3 along with a proven engine block, rods, pistons. It only has 800 lb ft and 370 hp which to most is a massive disappointment :p ;). The proven 68RFE trans I missed out on. When the warranty is up I will put an allision in with ATS's new true bolt in. Then I will have a life'r truck.
I was just wondering if i should get extended warranty, guess you answered that.

East Wood

Reaction score
i did not get an extended warranty, great.

how would i be able to tell if i have the CP4 or CP3?

East Wood

Reaction score
nice, i traded in my 18 for this. good call. :rolleyes:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I was just wondering if i should get extended warranty, guess you answered that.
I'm just going to dump mine when we get closer to the end of warranty. Likely on another one...Warranty is a big deal to me. The SA i deal with is the fleet service manager..so he sees a ton of trucks..I tend to trust him

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
nice, i traded in my 18 for this. good call. :rolleyes:

I didn't know about it when we bought it...I would probably be driving the ford if I had, from my understanding they have already dealt with it.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
Never got the modify a new truck deal cant say for more power 900 pounds torque and up how much more is needed.But to me biggest factor is warranty especially on a newer diesel seems theres always problems.I would prefer to keep warranty then after do some mods to help out.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I'm just going to dump mine when we get closer to the end of warranty. Likely on another one...Warranty is a big deal to me. The SA i deal with is the fleet service manager..so he sees a ton of trucks..I tend to trust him
I usually do also, it time to hang on to one for awhile. $5300 for a premium warranty for a f250

East Wood

Reaction score
So I called my local diesel guru and they tell me as long as you stay lubricated, use good diesel and don’t run too low in your tank often you should be fine?? Sounds too easy, but who knows. May start using hot shots. Used it on my 18 every other tank.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
So I called my local diesel guru and they tell me as long as you stay lubricated, use good diesel and don’t run too low in your tank often you should be fine?? Sounds too easy, but who knows. May start using hot shots. Used it on my 18 every other tank.

Mine says the same thing but in reality it’s all good until it’s not. If something happens i’ll deal with it then, not going to lose sleep over what could happen thats for sure.

I use hot shot secret lx4 every fill up.

East Wood

Reaction score
Mine says the same thing but in reality it’s all good until it’s not. If something happens i’ll deal with it then, not going to lose sleep over what could happen thats for sure.

I use hot shot secret lx4 every fill up.

do you take your tank all the way down and then add hot shot or do you use it even when filling from halfway?

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
do you take your tank all the way down and then add hot shot or do you use it even when filling from halfway?

I don’t usually run my tank below 1/4 and yes i use it no matter how much fuel i’m putting in. I adjust the amount accordingly.