WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Raptor to get GT500 700HP 5.2L V8

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Ford has no choice but to put the Shelby GT500’s 700-plus-hp supercharged V8 in the F-150 Raptor
Frankly, this is out of the Blue Oval’s hands at this point; the world will not be at ease until the Raptor gets a V8

A V8 motor for the current Ford F-150 Raptor: This is one of those rumors that has been floating around since the one where the current-gen Raptor would be powered by a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged Ecoboost V6.

The decision to drop two cylinders and add turbos was a somewhat controversial break with Raptor tradition, insofar as there is a Raptor tradition; remember, the previous-generation truck was powered by a 6.2-liter naturally aspirated V8 (by the end of its run, at least; a 5.4-liter was also offered initially).

Last time this rumor bubbled to the surface, the idea was that Ford engineers would shoehorn the behemoth 7.3-liter pushrod-V8 Super Duty engine under the Raptor’s ventilated hood. Now, according to Car and Driver, “multiple sources” at Ford are saying the motor will be essentially the same supercharged 5.2-liter V8 that will be used in the Mustang Shelby GT500.

Anonymous sources come and go, but this seems perfectly logical to us for a few reasons.

One: It would address the current Raptor’s chief, and perhaps only, major perceived deficiency. Despite packing 450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque, the truck’s V6 doesn’t have the attitude or roar of a snarling V8. In a truck that’s all about ridiculous excess, it feels (and sounds) a little like a pulled punch.

Two: Ram is working on a production version of the Rebel TRX, a hopped-up dune-bashing 1500 likely to be powered by a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 (if not necessarily a 700-plus-hp Hellcat motor). Until now, Ford has had the factory prerunner game cornered with the Raptor; a Rebel TRX would represent a shot across the Raptor’s bow, and one the Blue Oval cannot possibly allow to go unanswered.

Three: Even with the added complexity of forced induction, the supercharged 5.2-liter feels like a better fit than that monster 7.3-liter -- and it would let Ford get some extra mileage out of the GT500’s powerplant. Plus, sheer mass is less of a concern on a Super Duty than on a would-be desert racer; we’re curious to see what, if any, weight advantages the 5.2-liter might offer over the bigger V8.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/rumorm...hp-supercharged-v8-f-150-raptor#ixzz5jZmcM6Gx

About time! :cool:

Now all that needs to happen is a Chevy version, and the world would be right again! :mad::D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Ford has no choice but to put the Shelby GT500’s 700-plus-hp supercharged V8 in the F-150 Raptor
Frankly, this is out of the Blue Oval’s hands at this point; the world will not be at ease until the Raptor gets a V8

A V8 motor for the current Ford F-150 Raptor: This is one of those rumors that has been floating around since the one where the current-gen Raptor would be powered by a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged Ecoboost V6.

The decision to drop two cylinders and add turbos was a somewhat controversial break with Raptor tradition, insofar as there is a Raptor tradition; remember, the previous-generation truck was powered by a 6.2-liter naturally aspirated V8 (by the end of its run, at least; a 5.4-liter was also offered initially).

Last time this rumor bubbled to the surface, the idea was that Ford engineers would shoehorn the behemoth 7.3-liter pushrod-V8 Super Duty engine under the Raptor’s ventilated hood. Now, according to Car and Driver, “multiple sources” at Ford are saying the motor will be essentially the same supercharged 5.2-liter V8 that will be used in the Mustang Shelby GT500.

Anonymous sources come and go, but this seems perfectly logical to us for a few reasons.

One: It would address the current Raptor’s chief, and perhaps only, major perceived deficiency. Despite packing 450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque, the truck’s V6 doesn’t have the attitude or roar of a snarling V8. In a truck that’s all about ridiculous excess, it feels (and sounds) a little like a pulled punch.

Two: Ram is working on a production version of the Rebel TRX, a hopped-up dune-bashing 1500 likely to be powered by a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 (if not necessarily a 700-plus-hp Hellcat motor). Until now, Ford has had the factory prerunner game cornered with the Raptor; a Rebel TRX would represent a shot across the Raptor’s bow, and one the Blue Oval cannot possibly allow to go unanswered.

Three: Even with the added complexity of forced induction, the supercharged 5.2-liter feels like a better fit than that monster 7.3-liter -- and it would let Ford get some extra mileage out of the GT500’s powerplant. Plus, sheer mass is less of a concern on a Super Duty than on a would-be desert racer; we’re curious to see what, if any, weight advantages the 5.2-liter might offer over the bigger V8.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/rumorm...hp-supercharged-v8-f-150-raptor#ixzz5jZmcM6Gx

About time! :cool:

Now all that needs to happen is a Chevy version, and the world would be right again! :mad::D

A Chevy truck with an LT4 in it would be awesome.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
This is a step in the right direction.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I hope they have a non-supercharged version. I’ve been saying the 5.2 would be a great fit, but I don’t need a 700hp DD. I think Ram already killed the Rebel TR, so they are going all in on a supercharged version.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I gotta be startin' to feel my old age.....I just ain't seein' the excitement in these over powered p/u's.

Now if they can use all the raw power to pull over trees and drag massive loads, I get excited. But these road warriors with nothing but straight away speed and sound just don't do it for me. Just a pu with a motor designed for a fine handling road car. JMHO, to each his own. Enjoy:D:cool:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I gotta be startin' to feel my old age.....I just ain't seein' the excitement in these over powered p/u's.

Now if they can use all the raw power to pull over trees and drag massive loads, I get excited. But these road warriors with nothing but straight away speed and sound just don't do it for me. Just a pu with a motor designed for a fine handling road car. JMHO, to each his own. Enjoy:D:cool:

I highly doubt the people with the bank toll to purchase a truck like this are pulling over trees [emoji23][emoji23]

I pay my Gardner to do that and he does it with a 1992 Toyota [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Texan

Reaction score
I highly doubt the people with the bank toll to purchase a truck like this are pulling over trees [emoji23][emoji23]

I pay my Gardner to do that and he does it with a 1992 Toyota [emoji2357]

That's much of my point, they think they bought something that could but can't......Posers.;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
That's much of my point, they think they bought something that could but can't......Posers.;)

I guess I’m confused. A Raptor is not what you buy if you’re pulling trees. So Why is that even a point? Secondly.....who the fuck pulls trees with a truck?? I could hammer in a nail with a pen, but why not use the right tool? And I’m definitely not going to talk shit on the pen because it’s not good at hammering nails, that’s just retarded

Old Texan

Reaction score
I guess I’m confused. A Raptor is not what you buy if you’re pulling trees. So Why is that even a point? Secondly.....who the fuck pulls trees with a truck?? I could hammer in a nail with a pen, but why not use the right tool? And I’m definitely not going to talk shit on the pen because it’s not good at hammering nails, that’s just retarded

It's a pickup truck is my point. If I want a high horsepower vehicle to drive on the road, I want a vehicle that is made to drive on the road. An El Camino is a cross between the pu and car, but the Raptor and Dodge hiHP units are pickups.

It's my hang up, don't frustrate your self over trying to understand it.

And if you ain't ever seen anyone pulling trees with P/U's you ain't hung with real country boys. Big F250's and old timey Dodge power wagons have cleared a lot of ground to set trailers and deer camps. Around here the diesel boys push over and out more stumps and big rocks than one can imagine.

Raptor's just a urban wannbe pickup is what I see. A factory show truck. I'll take the Shelby Mustang if I want to go down the highway.....Just me, don't sweat it.:D

Taboma

Reaction score
As a Raptor owner and one who tows with it and has no intentions of desert racing. I really can't imagine anything to be gained from all those additional ponies.
Not once have I driven mine and wished it could accelerate from 0-60 in 3 seconds. I like it as a truck, not for drag racing.
I see that engine more in a revived Lightning, awd, lowered with fat street tires --- similar to the Jeep Grand Cherokee Hellcat.
I shot a clip of that Car and Driver article to my neighbor who's in the desert weekly working on the future Raptor prototypes, but I'm sure all I'll get is a blank poker face reply, probably no reply at all. He did mention he drove a F-250 with a new 7.3, but that's all I got. If I could somehow steal his phone, then I might have something :eek: :p
He's shared a few videos with me, but invariably he's got his thumb covering something he doesn't want me to see. Fuckin Tease :rolleyes:

Taboma

Reaction score
Got a reply back from my neighbor --- "Can not confirm or deny", my insider source sucks balls, LOL :(
I told him I'd buy a V-8 just for the sound alone, but otherwise I don't need a drag or baja racing Raptor.
I advised him to communicate with marketing and toss that engine in a wide body, lowered F-150 Limited Lightning, similar to a TrackHawk.
I'm certain Ford doesn't give two fucks what this ole bird thinks, LOL :D