WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Shelby GT 500. WOW

KevinR

Reaction score
If you’re a FORD guy like me you have already read and watched a lot of content about the latest T Rex Mustang.

I just watched this video and if you want to see the GT 500 perform against the Porsche GT3 RS with Randy Pobst behind the wheel of both, check it out. Wow.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The C8 Z06 just said “Hold my beer.”.

As always, the Ford GT500 is probably the best car on the street, and easiest to live with.

The ZL1 1LE will beat it on the track, but is a crappy car to live with daily.

KevinR

Reaction score
Oh I read it when I got the mag last month. Great times today for hot rod muscle.

KevinR

Reaction score
Yes it did. Mid engine is the only way to go.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes it did. Mid engine is the only way to go.

The only real problem with the GT500 is the price. At that price point it is gonna get pummeled by the upcoming Z06.

For the street, it is the best muscle car to buy though.

I’m gonna need a few more mods on my track car if I want to continue embarrassing people lol.

KevinR

Reaction score
Agree on the price. The Carbon Fiber Track Package goes for $18,500, taking price to $95,000 or higher. However, as I said I’m a FORD homer (ever since I bought my 1970 BOSS 302 in 1972), so to see this GT 500 run on the track by Pobst to within a whisker of the Porsche GT3 RS priced at $188,500 - $220,000 gets me fired up. Now to figure out how to buy one. :p

What is the C8 Z06 going to be priced at? Can’t wait to see it tested side by side with the other super track cars.

HBCraig

Reaction score
The C8 Z06 just said “Hold my beer.”.

As always, the Ford GT500 is probably the best car on the street, and easiest to live with.

The ZL1 1LE will beat it on the track, but is a crappy car to live with daily.
I drove my Dad's 2017 GT Cobra and is was a fun car to drive.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Agree on the price. The Carbon Fiber Track Package goes for $18,500, taking price to $95,000 or higher. However, as I said I’m a FORD homer (ever since I bought my 1970 BOSS 302 in 1972), so to see this GT 500 run on the track by Pobst to within a whisker of the Porsche GT3 RS priced at $188,500 - $220,000 gets me fired up. Now to figure out how to buy one. :p

What is the C8 Z06 going to be priced at? Can’t wait to see it tested side by side with the other super track cars.

I figure the C8 Z06 will be in the 90-100k range. That is just my guess though

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I figure the C8 Z06 will be in the 90-100k range. That is just my guess though
I think the C7 Z06 topped $110k if I recall. I know they were at least trying to keep the base price down on the C8 but I'm not too sure about the Z06. I'd expect to see it about the same $110k level.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think the C7 Z06 topped $110k if I recall. I know they were at least trying to keep the base price down on the C8 but I'm not too sure about the Z06. I'd expect to see it about the same $110k level.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Base C7 Z06 started just below $80k C8 Z06 will start below $100K

C8 GS model will start between the C8 and Z06, probably around 80k.

GM has maintained that rough pricing model for 10+ years now.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Best part is there’s a lot of extra power to be had in the GT500. Tune, Pulley, injectors, exhaust, and e85 picks up quite a bit of power.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Best part is there’s a lot of extra power to be had in the GT500. Tune, Pulley, injectors, exhaust, and e85 picks up quite a bit of power.

Incredible. Wasn't that long ago a sub 10 second car was nowhere near being steetable...let alone air conditioned. Golden age of muscle cars right now for sure.

Cdog

Reaction score
The only real problem with the GT500 is the price. At that price point it is gonna get pummeled by the upcoming Z06.

For the street, it is the best muscle car to buy though.

I’m gonna need a few more mods on my track car if I want to continue embarrassing people lol.

Yeah I'm saving for a Porsche GTS. So I started looking around at Z28's and ZL1's for a toy in the meantime. Problem is you're 1/2 to 3/4 the way to a used GTS and stuck with an overpriced toy that value drops like a BMW.

Mustang guys are always the little train that could for a lap or two. Then the 4000+ lb sled over heats the tires and heat soak in the supercharger kills the power. But a magazine and youtubers say you can do it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah I'm saving for a Porsche GTS. So I started looking around at Z28's and ZL1's for a toy in the meantime. Problem is you're 1/2 to 3/4 the way to a used GTS and stuck with an overpriced toy that value drops like a BMW.

Mustang guys are always the little train that could for a lap or two. Then the 4000+ lb sled over heats the tires and heat soak in the supercharger kills the power. But a magazine and youtubers say you can do it.

An 18 month old ZL1 is the ticket :) Buy it while you save up.

Yea I’d be very hesitant to do another supercharged track car. Too much heat buildup.

Cdog

Reaction score

Yea I’d be very hesitant to do another supercharged track car. Too much heat buildup.

There is a You tube clip with the first C8 on Cota. He does a 2:33 and change and they're all excited about it. My fastest time in a 30k dedicated race car is 2:28.2. The masturbatory super car fantasies are a hoot.

Last edited:

KevinR

Reaction score
There is a You tube clip with the first C8 on Cota. He does a 2:33 and change and they're all excited about it. My fastest time in a 30k dedicated race car is 2:28.2. The masturbatory super car fantasies are a hoot.

Kind of tough to compare laps times for a non street race car to a car you drive everyday and take to the track, no?

Cdog

Reaction score
Kind of tough to compare laps times for a non street race car to a car you drive everyday and take to the track, no?

That’s kinda the point. Tons of you tube guys talk up these cars more or less bench racing. Comparing them to real track cars punching above their weight. That’s cool if that’s your thing but I’m more interested in what the driver can do. That C8 would be competitive with the Miata class based on the times.

There’s another video where a guy in a C8 chases a green gt3 at willow springs. The C8 driver is meh and the the gt3 driver sucks.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

The C8 Z06 may end up with the double overhead cam twin turbocharged Blackwing engine that was supposed to go in the Cadillac CT5-V, but someone at Cadillac F’d up and the engine won’t fit between the strut towers so they will continue to use the current LT4 engine that’s in the outgoing CTS-V’s and in the Camaro ZL1’s. After the Cadillac CT6-V’s end production this year Cadillac won’t have anything that fit that engine except the Escalade and I seriously doubt they will put that engine in that vehicle - if they do a V version it will more than likely get the LT4 engine.

So you more than likely will not have to worry about a heat soaked supercharged engine in the C8 Z06.

KevinR

Reaction score
That’s kinda the point. Tons of you tube guys talk up these cars more or less bench racing. Comparing them to real track cars punching above their weight. That’s cool if that’s your thing but I’m more interested in what the driver can do. That C8 would be competitive with the Miata class based on the times.

There’s another video where a guy in a C8 chases a green gt3 at willow springs. The C8 driver is meh and the the gt3 driver sucks.

I get it. You are a great driver and campaign a real race car. Does that mean those of us that only drive street driven cars on the track are tube guys? And a professional driver running these cars means nothing?

Is your point a real driver does not drive cars with nannies? Maybe not, but if so, I guess you are not a fan at all of professional racing.

I happened to watch that video with the C8 following the GT3 at Willow last night and thought the same thing. Terrible lines by both of them.

nowski

Reaction score
I drove my Dad's 2017 GT Cobra and is was a fun car to drive.

Your Dad is one cool guy in my book!!!

Back in my younger days "Boss" was a slang word meaning, Bad Ass & Cool...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The C8 Z06 may end up with the double overhead cam twin turbocharged Blackwing engine that was supposed to go in the Cadillac CT5-V, but someone at Cadillac F’d up and the engine won’t fit between the strut towers so they will continue to use the current LT4 engine that’s in the outgoing CTS-V’s and in the Camaro ZL1’s. After the Cadillac CT6-V’s end production this year Cadillac won’t have anything that fit that engine except the Escalade and I seriously doubt they will put that engine in that vehicle - if they do a V version it will more than likely get the LT4 engine.

So you more than likely will not have to worry about a heat soaked supercharged engine in the C8 Z06.
GM developed that flat plane crank engine used in the C8.R and as well all know, if they developed a new engine for a racecare, its dam well will make it into a production model somewhere to recoup some of that R&D money at least.

Blackwing in the Z06 and the flat plane engine in the ZR1?

(RD, I think we need a boner emoji)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk