WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Toyota Supra leaked before Detroit Auto Show

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
BBS5trz.img

BBS5trA.img

BBS5wA8.img

BBS5eoV.img

Specs are still secret but it is sharing the chassis with the new BMW Z4. At launch it will have the BMW 3.0L Inline 6. Expect over 300 horsepower, a curb weight around 3300 lbs and a zero to 60 time under 5 seconds.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
In the BMW Z4 the 3.0 makes 382 HP and 362 lb ft. 0-60 is 4.4 seconds.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
BBS5trz.img

BBS5trA.img

BBS5wA8.img

BBS5eoV.img

Specs are still secret but it is sharing the chassis with the new BMW Z4. At launch it will have the BMW 3.0L Inline 6. Expect over 300 horsepower, a curb weight around 3300 lbs and a zero to 60 time under 5 seconds.

It'll be interesting to see what transmissions options it has, hopefully an option for 3 pedals but unlikely.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The camo versions had been photographed and the BMW has been out/published so the Supra's looks were pretty well known.

The BMW got solid reviews and they now have a car that can compete with the Porsche Boxster. To me BMW's sports cars are hard to look at bordering on Halloween scary

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So since it is mostly BMW will the new owners have to take the "How to drive like an asshole" class?:cool:

It also reminds me of Peter's car.

View attachment 718132

Yeah the Z4 variants have always placed the driver basically on top of the rear wheels, or very close to them.

It’s a a little weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be very popular with the Fast and Furious crowd...me, not so much.

EDIT: And I'm not bagging on Toyota by any means. Hell, I've owned 4 Supras and 3 Celicas in my time.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yawn.....looks like that subi / scion / Toyota Miata style car. And why the bmw...well...everything? Where’s the big boost power?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
When I think of a Supra, I think of a car that will battle it out with the GTR... Interesting to see if they come out with a variant with over double the HP to be able to compete.

pronstar

Reaction score
When I think of a Supra, I think of a car that will battle it out with the GTR... Interesting to see if they come out with a variant with over double the HP to be able to compete.

I mean the other way, and put the GTR on a higher pedestal.
The Supra competed with the 300ZX, no? [emoji848]

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I mean the other way, and put the GTR on a higher pedestal.
The Supra competed with the 300ZX, no? [emoji848]

Absolutely. GTR definitely on a higher pedestal. I guess Supra reminds me of the everything-eating Turbo Supra from back in the day that could easily be a made into an absolute monster. I was just expecting Toyota to go after the high end Nissan when I read they were releasing it again. Not something to compete with the Z. My bad. What does Toyota have now high end? No more Lexuit LFA. I guess my initial expectations were way too high.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Absolutely. GTR definitely on a higher pedestal. I guess Supra reminds me of the everything-eating Turbo Supra from back in the day that could easily be a made into an absolute monster. I was just expecting Toyota to go after the high end Nissan when I read they were releasing it again. Not something to compete with the Z. My bad. What does Toyota have now high end? No more Lexuit LFA. I guess my initial expectations were way too high.

The GTR is ancient at this point, the MSRP is pretty high, and sales on it are not that great.

The last 2 generations of Supra were around a Corvette price point and it competed with the Vette, RX7 and 300ZX. This will as well by the looks of it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Why would someone opt to buy a rebadged BMW labeled as a Toyota if they could just go buy the BMW?
I don’t get it?

cnj

Reaction score
BMW running gear and electronics? If so, lease it. And get rid of it after 3 years before the shenanigans start.

buck35

Reaction score
How did Toyota getting hooked up with bmw ,and why?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
How did Toyota getting hooked up with bmw ,and why?

Toyota did the same thing with Subaru to build the brz/frs. R&d costs can be shared between the two companies. Toyota needed a new halo car and didn't want to absorb the r&d cost for what will be a low number seller. BMW was going to build a new z4 anyway. Ford and gm partnered on the new 10 speed tranny, Mitsubishi and dodge used to do it all the time.

Toyota is saying that this isn't going to be the only engine choice. They are also talking about a turbo 4 and a hybrid version. I would imagine the hybrid will be their gtr corvette nsx fighter. This one sounds like it will compete with camaros, mustangs and z's.

pronstar

Reaction score

They have the LC Coupe, then the RCF that slots below it.

The RCF and LC are nice, but a NA V8 makes them somewhat of a dinosaur. They can’t run with the turbo mills that competitors have.

But the new LS has their first twin turbo V6...and that car runs with the RCF and LC despite a much lower HP rating.

That TT V6 should find its way into other models moving forward.

pronstar

Reaction score
For the Supra/Z4, there’s just no money in coupes. Sharing development costs was needed for the math to make sense.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
They have the LC Coupe, then the RCF that slots below it.

The RCF and LC are nice, but a NA V8 makes them somewhat of a dinosaur. They can’t run with the turbo mills that competitors have.

But the new LS has their first twin turbo V6...and that car runs with the RCF and LC despite a much lower HP rating.

That TT V6 should find its way into other models moving forward.

All they needed to do was drop that turbo in a wide body frs and they could have slapped a supra badge on it.

pronstar

Reaction score
All they needed to do was drop that turbo in a wide body frs and they could have slapped a supra badge on it.

I’ve worked on the Toyota and Lexus brands for the better part of my career.

And I still don’t understand why they never put more power into that chassis.

rrrr

Reaction score
I've always thought the powertrain of the last Supras was inadequate for the body style. It looks like a serious go fast beast, but the performance was underwhelming.

That was around the same time that TRD was an engine provider for CART and the IRL. A turbocharged 2.65L V-8 based on the CART architecture would have been a real leg wetter.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Reminds me of an early Z-car.

And a former toyota tech...I feel sorry for my fellow techs still at toyota dealers. They'll be dealing with rubber parts that deteriorate within 2-3 years, engines that spit out rod bearings...it's getting out of hand.

Toyota used to stand for something. I had a guy that would come in every year with his 94 turbo supra and have us build a new short block and a new head with all new parts...he was making well north of 1000hp, but always had us build it with OEM parts to OEM specs...and then bolt his madness back on to it. He never blew anything up or wore anything out...but wanted to keep it that way. I drove it once, and that was enough. Went a mile an half in about 20 seconds with my eyes stuck in my brain.

I'm no fan of all this collusion between automakers....especially when you mix German with Japanese....it will only end badly

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I never saw a car I wouldn't like to drive and beat the living hell out of.

I picked the wrong line of work. :D

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Epic Fail... my wifes '06 350z has 300 hp. Looks like a cross between a Z-4 and a mazda RX-7 to me.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Epic Fail... my wifes '06 350z has 300 hp. Looks like a cross between a Z-4 and a mazda RX-7 to me.
Honestly I'd rather see the return of a rotary turbo RX7 than the Supra. Unfortunately though the dorito chip is a very inefficient and expensive to repair engine, I doubt we'll ever see it's return.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Honestly I'd rather see the return of a rotary turbo RX7 than the Supra. Unfortunately though the dorito chip is a very inefficient and expensive to repair engine, I doubt we'll ever see it's return.
A buddy of mine has a TT triple rotor in his home built sand car. Produces over 900hp at 10psi. sounds wicked

Mototrig

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a TT triple rotor in his home built sand car. Produces over 900hp at 10psi. sounds wicked
There's no other sound in the engine world like a multi-rotor. Got a video?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'm still surprised they elected to partner with BMW for this and not use the LC500 chassis as a starting point. I have had the opportunity to drive one of those and it is pretty impressive.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm still surprised they elected to partner with BMW for this and not use the LC500 chassis as a starting point. I have had the opportunity to drive one of those and it is pretty impressive.

price and size

The LC is a 100K car and not designed to be as light and nimble as the new supra/Z4

The car is fine and looks pretty good all things considered. Stock to stock I bet it runs circles around the previous generation Supra and comes in at a price point that makes sense for the Toyota brand.

If they would have gone balls out on the car and raised it to the performance level of a nissan GTR it would cost 100K and sell for shit just like the GTR. I think Nissan only sells like 1200 GTR's a year. Pretty bad business model.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Barrett Jackson Saturday @ 6:30pm: Lot #3010 - First all-new global production Toyota Supra in one-of-one factory color combination of a matte gray exterior, red mirror caps, matte black wheels and red interior. This vehicle will include an engine cover signed by Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. Additional features will be announced prior to the auction. The winning bidder will own the rights to the first production Supra, VIN 20201. **100% OF HAMMER PRICE TO BENEFIT THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION AND THE BOB WOODRUFF FOUNDATION** **WILL BE SOLD AT APPROXIMATELY 6:30 P.M. MST ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 19, 2019**

Charity car and all, but I'm sure Toyota is using this to gauge demand? Or dealers to gauge the "market adjustment" over MSRP??

pronstar

Reaction score
If they would have gone balls out on the car and raised it to the performance level of a nissan GTR it would cost 100K and sell for shit just like the GTR. I think Nissan only sells like 1200 GTR's a year. Pretty bad business model.

Totally agree.

If there’s one thing Toyota does well (besides making bulletproof cars), it’s generate profit.

Sharing development costs with BMW helps the car reach profitability with fewer units sold.

Here’s how the Z4 and Supra will sell:
Strong demand in year 1 that will gradually diminish. By year 5 sales will be a fraction of year 1.

There will be some special editions to try to keep the car relevant in the meantime.

The vehicles may then linger on, get updated at massive cost for a brief uptick in sales, or will be killed outright.

I know this because it’s basically the pattern that all coupes follow.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
The very first 2020 model just sold for $2.1 Million at Barrett-Jackson.:eek:

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw it this week at BJ and honestly it just didn’t do it for me. Bummed cuz it was one of the cars I was excited to see.
Now the new Ford GT...

_Y8I8869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I saw it this week at BJ and honestly it just didn’t do it for me. Bummed cuz it was one of the cars I was excited to see.
Now the new Ford GT...

View attachment 720702

Without my readers, using my blind eye and with the colors it looks like the 60's GT except for the knock offs. I would clearly be able to see the knock offs.