WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2021 can am x3 debut

riverroyal

Reaction score
Meh..., very underwhelming
Computers on the shocks, that’s cool and I would like to have it.
but it’s not on the RC, Also it’s not enough to get me to jump into a new one
I do like the colors.
bummer, I was hoping for something more.

Reactions: DWC

LC925

Reaction score
I don’t want to google... pictures please 😝

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I do like the colors.

Send your shocks to Shock Therapy and have them put IQS on your shocks.. then you have the same functionality as the 2021.

In a way it is good, you still have a top of the line car for another year!

riverroyal

Reaction score
I just added up the hours I’ve spend putting stuff on it..... yeah, I’m good for another year.

it’s amazing can am is still on this platform. They hit a home run for sure.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I just added up the hours I’ve spend putting stuff on it..... yeah, I’m good for another year.

I think they will be using it for another year or two for sure. The 2020 was kinda the “mid cycle refresh”. All of these MFGs want to get at least 5 years out of the platform, if not more.

jesco

Reaction score

I was told that no major changes for the next 2 years or so, just improving on stuff like this. Def not worth buying a new one if you have one already. KING/Shock Therapy has the same tech in a better shock.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Send your shocks to Shock Therapy and have them put IQS on your shocks.. then you have the same functionality as the 2021.

In a way it is good, you still have a top of the line car for another year!
I have them and they are a huge improvement

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I think they will be using it for another year or two for sure. The 2020 was kinda the “mid cycle refresh”. All of these MFGs want to get at least 5 years out of the platform, if not more.

Good (I’m the only one, lol)
2014 was awful when my lowly 2011 Robby Gordon 800 couldn’t keep the 900’s or 100’s in sight ha ha .

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what they do considering the XP Pro 72 " is dropping this year......I cant believe they wont make significant changes after this year.

I watch Shock Therapy's vlogs every week where they teach and compare everything about all the manufacturers. They talk about the race teams and everything its a good watch on you tube usually they do a couple shows weekly. Its interesting why they chose can ams and also very interesting in what they think about the other cars and manufacturers.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what they do considering the XP Pro 72 " is dropping this year......I cant believe they wont make significant changes after this year.

I watch Shock Therapy's vlogs every week where they teach and compare everything about all the manufacturers. They talk about the race teams and everything its a good watch on you tube usually they do a couple shows weekly. Its interesting why they chose can ams and also very interesting in what they think about the other cars and manufacturers.

It will be interesting if the Speed car will cause them to make any changes. My guess is probably not yet. I'm sure there will be changes when it comes time for a platform refresh, but for Polaris, they are half a decade away from that as they just debuted the XP Pro line. And that was just a response to the Can AmX3. The Turbo S was just a stop gap to get to the Pro XP.

PlanB

Reaction score
21's have a bigger stator. Will fit in cars going back to at least 18 is what I am reading. For you guys running stereos and a bunch of other stuff (winches...).

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I do like the colors.

That price increase though! $$$. They jumped 3-5k and nothing changed

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That price increase though! $$$. They jumped 3-5k and nothing changed

When it is a 30% price increase on a $100K pontoon boat that has no changes, you deliver that like its nothing! :)

To your point, it only looks like the NON Smart Shox cars went up like $200-400?

2020 X3 Maxx Turbo RR was $29,999 (and that was for the cheapest all black one, the colored ones were $200 more), now for 2021 it is $30,399 for all colors.

2021 with Smart Shox is an $1700 upgrade though.

This is all MSRP though.. Although with the current shortages on cars, I feel like people will be paying closer to MSRP this season.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
MSRP went up almost exactly 2k from the 20's to 21's with the Smart Shox. That's about what Shock Therapy will charge you to install the same system. Also, I don't think they will deal on the 21's like some dealers are willing to deal on 20's right now. It will be a 3k-5k difference between a 20 and 21 currently (on the Max), and you won't get a 21 till late summer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When it is a 30% price increase on a $100K pontoon boat that has no changes, you deliver that like its nothing! :)

To your point, it only looks like the NON Smart Shox cars went up like $200-400?

2020 X3 Maxx Turbo RR was $29,999 (and that was for the cheapest all black one, the colored ones were $200 more), now for 2021 it is $30,399 for all colors.

2021 with Smart Shox is an $1700 upgrade though.

This is all MSRP though.. Although with the current shortages on cars, I feel like people will be paying closer to MSRP this season.

The ones I saw on fb were 33&35? And it was showing 2 seaters Maybe I read the wrong thing..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Believe me I am the first to say I don’t understand any of the twin outboard pricing across the board anymore.. lol

but as they say if the market will bare it? Than I guess that’s the numbers

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The ones I saw on fb were 33&35? And it was showing 2 seaters Maybe I read the wrong thing..

Sounds like maybe they had mods? They haven’t actually came out yet to my knowledge.

702sandman

Reaction score

when is this 72” Pro XP being dropped ?

PlanB

Reaction score
MSRP on the 20 turbo rr max is $30,199.00. Starting price on the 21 with Smart Shox is $32,099.00. $1900.00 difference, but you can get a 20 well below MSRP.

PlanB

Reaction score
Looks like the Smart Shox might be different than the IQS, but is was developed by Fox so maybe available as an upgrade in the future? Or maybe a replacement for the current IQS?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Looks like the Smart Shox might be different than the IQS, but is was developed by Fox so maybe available as an upgrade in the future? Or maybe a replacement for the current IQS?

Correct. The Smart-Shox are reactive damping, similar to the Polaris Dynamix setup. IQS is simply turning the knobs on the standard shocks from inside the car.

PlanB

Reaction score
Correct. The Smart-Shox are reactive damping, similar to the Polaris Dynamix setup. IQS is simply turning the knobs on the standard shocks from inside the car.

Looks like you only get compression with the IQS? Smart Shox gives you both compression and rebound?

Edit: Nine months ago Shock Therapy hinted that a system that would control shocks individually was coming. I wonder if this is what they were talking about. Hopefully that means it will be available as a retrofit.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Looks like you only get compression with the IQS? Smart Shox gives you both compression and rebound?

Correct. There is not a little servo on the bottom of the shock to adjust rebound on the shock for IQS. It is compression only.

My personal opinion is regardless of what car you get, it will need a spring upgrade, if you want optimum ride and performance, period. Shock internal upgrades will help as well on a non Smart-Shox car, likely on a Smart-Shox too, but we have no real idea

The IQS is a neat, but not a huge deal for me personally. If you spend some time with the car and play with the shocks, you can run around the car and make an adjustment in 10 seconds during a beverage brake.

In the desert, I really only adjust my shocks in a 4-5 click window anyway. You aren’t going to be making massive swings from soft to firm, unless you are doing a lot of terrain changes.

That said, when you do hit that graded fire road, it would be cool to stiffen the car up on the fly via the Smart Shox or IQS.

If you are in the market, and are going to buy IQS anyway, for $2k it makes sense to do the Smart Shox... but if you have a car, or are looking at heavy discounts for a 2020, for me personally I don’t know if it is worth the extra $3K, $4K, $5K for a 21, especially when you know you are going to want better springs for sure.

PlanB

Reaction score
I am looking at 5K more for the 21 over the 20 just based on what MSRP for the 21 is, and what the dealer is willing to sell a 20 for. I had planned on taking the car to ST do have the shocks done (including IQS). I will probably buy the 20 and wait a little bit to see if they offer an upgraded IQS system.

702sandman

Reaction score
When we first started playing with the dynamix stuff for Polaris i definitely didn’t like the feed back it gave us on the short course tracks we raced in WORCS , now In the desert It definitely has a better feel. I think for the average person riding in the dunes or desert they will like the electronic shock set up. Since we are sponsored by Walker Evans we couldn’t run the Fox set up anyways, Walker is playing with the same set up and we will be going that direction in our new desert cars. Technology is fun lol

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ Shock Therapy was just talking about smart shock technology an hour or so ago, live on FB. They said there are positives and negatives to having a computer control valving changes. They did say they would pick the smart shock equipped car if everything was equal, so at least they are being honest.