WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2021 Ford Raptor - Debuts February 3rd (Ford Raptor & Ford Raptor R with 700+ HP)

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
We've finally heard the upcoming 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor, which will be revealed on February 3, testing with a powerful supercharged V-8 engine to take on the 702-hp Ram 1500 TRX.

It's likely to be a detuned version of the Predator V-8 that powers the 760-hp Mustang Shelby GT500.

The V-8 is rumored to be saved for an even higher-performance F-150 Raptor R model.

If you haven't been paying much attention to the pickup wars, just know that Ram put an engraving of a T. rex eating a Raptor on the 702-hp 1500 TRX's airbox cover, as well as a size comparison of the two dinosaurs in the TRX's center console. That's because Ram believes that the 2020 Ford F-150 Raptor is inferior with its 450-hp twin-turbo V-6 and leaf-spring rear suspension. Ram's reign over the high-performance off-road pickup world might be short lived, though, because we've finally heard a 2021 F-150 Raptor with some eight-cylinder grunt.

2021 ford f 150 raptor r

As its base engine, the 2021 F-150 Raptor will likely have an upgraded version of the current model's twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6, which currently makes 450 horsepower, paired with Ford's 10-speed automatic transmission. Ford's new twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid powertrain, dubbed PowerBoost, is also rumored to be available. The 700-plus-hp supercharged 5.2-liter V-8, also found in the Mustang Shelby GT500, is what's likely under the hood of this test truck, and it's rumored to be saved for a higher-performance Raptor R model.

The 2021 F-150 Raptor will also introduce the change to a coil-spring rear suspension—the two previous-generation Raptors had leaf-spring setups in the rear. But the third-generation Raptor shouldn't look much different from its predecessor. The standard 2021 F-150 has only slight changes to the exterior with the majority of the updates in the cabin. The Raptor will have 35-inch BFGoodrich K02 all-terrain tires, wide fenders, and the famous "Ford" script grille. The most substantial visual tweaks should be save for the high-performance R model, which might have an even more aggressive grille, fenders, wheels, and exterior graphics. We could even see additional accessories available from Ford such as a spare tire carrier and rock rails.

We also hope that Ford has some fun with Easter eggs and takes some shots back at Ram for throwing shade with the TRX's hidden belittlements. Although a T. rex can't fit in a Raptor's mouth, can it?

We'll know more about the 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor and Raptor R on February 3, and they should arrive by the end of the year to make the battle for off-road supremacy a little more interesting.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Still a v6.... gives me more time to save up my pennies for next years v8 model! 😂

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
2021 is here released today. still a v6 for now. The 37" factory tire option is cool. I'm not in the market, but the 5 link rear suspension isn't what I would be looking for.. I'm sure the aftermarket will take car of that though.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/f150/raptor/pdf/2021-Ford-F-150-Raptor-Tech-Specs.pdf
Why would you not want a linked rear in a Raptor?
Still a v6.... gives me more time to save up my pennies for next years v8 model! [emoji23]
Based on the video it looks like the R will be out in 2022.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Already put my name in for my order when those become available, hopefully in the next few weeks.

The 5 link will be game changer, the aftermarket is going to be able to really step up the rear of this truck.

I like my v6 in 2017, and it honestly doesn't need to be any faster, it's a truck. Plus the tires are going to limit the speed of the truck, so I'm sure even with the R model, the top speed is going to cut out at 109, so really whats the point of the extra power.

racektm

Reaction score
Already put my name in for my order when those become available, hopefully in the next few weeks.

The 5 link will be game changer, the aftermarket is going to be able to really step up the rear of this truck.

I like my v6 in 2017, and it honestly doesn't need to be any faster, it's a truck. Plus the tires are going to limit the speed of the truck, so I'm sure even with the R model, the top speed is going to cut out at 109, so really whats the point of the extra power.
To get to 109 faster....

530RL

Reaction score
If the R's do come out they will command large premiums over sticker at least for the first while.

Love to trade the diesel F250 in for one, but i'm not willing to pay over sticker. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

My Boss just ordered 3, he gives them to his key managers as a perk. Glad I waited as, I will be getting one of those👍👍. He’s going to be ordering one of the R versions for himself.

The rear suspension should be a game changer.

Taboma

Reaction score
If the R's do come out they will command large premiums over sticker at least for the first while.

Love to trade the diesel F250 in for one, but i'm not willing to pay over sticker. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ford marketing is getting everybody riled up and on their edge of their seats for the R, and Desert / Offroad R&D Development doesn't even have a prototype to work with.
I found it interesting to learn just how many of these "Spy" shots are taken by Ford and intentionally leaked.
They had my neighbor shoot some of the Bronco with his phone camera, with bushes and obstructions partially blocking the shot, then had him leak them on the internet.

I'm guessing when any "R's" hit the showrooms, they'll mark them up $ 50K initially, just like the GT500, so $ 140-150K range. When the Gen 1's came out, Grody in Carlsbad had them bumped up $ 30K, and still had the Gen 2's marked up $ 10K after they'd been out 2 years.

530RL

Reaction score
Ford marketing is getting everybody riled up and on their edge of their seats for the R, and Desert / Offroad R&D Development doesn't even have a prototype to work with.
I found it interesting to learn just how many of these "Spy" shots are taken by Ford and intentionally leaked.
They had my neighbor shoot some of the Bronco with his phone camera, with bushes and obstructions partially blocking the shot, then had him leak them on the internet.

I'm guessing when any "R's" hit the showrooms, they'll mark them up $ 50K initially, just like the GT500, so $ 140-150K range. When the Gen 1's came out, Grody in Carlsbad had them bumped up $ 30K, and still had the Gen 2's marked up $ 10K after they'd been out 2 years.

We want a discount when the dealer has a lot of available product, only seems fair they get a premium when they have limited product?

It's certainly what you or I would do.

God bless capitalism........ :)

Taboma

Reaction score
We want a discount when the dealer has a lot of available product, only seems fair they get a premium when they have limited product?

It's certainly what you or I would do.

God bless capitalism........ :)

I don't blame them, supply and demand and all that. But this market adjustment BS has gotten a bit out of hand. You can't walk on any lot anymore and not find some special edition model that's been market adjusted.
I don't blame the dealers as much as the fools who will pay it, just to be the first on their block with one. It's the fools who drive this behavior, the dealers are simply fucking those who are begging to be fucked.
Wife and I checking out one of the first Gen 1's on a lot. Guy comes walking over bragging how he just bought one and paid $ 30K over on a $ 60K msrp truck --- Why would you want to advertise that ?? 😖

Oh well, between the C8 Vette Z06, The new CT5V Blackwing and the 22' Raptor R, just gives me another reason to keep waking up each day. 😁

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Any Raptor, Gen1 or Gen2, will do most everything the Gen3 will do albeit slower. For a lot less $$$.

I'm sure there are upgrades - mostly inside as the outside looks pretty similar and the 5-link will be an improvement but...

I can run 37's if I want. I'll take my Gen2 unless I can get a Gen3 at sticker which likely won't happen. At all.

The generator and some other upgrades look great.

5-link:

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.00.59 PM.png

Taboma

Reaction score
I like that the tow rating didn't suffer, but gained a couple of hundy. I like the adjustable exhaust, because there's times I'd prefer quiet and times I want it to roar.
Appears the morons in marketing are still going to have the front license plate front center so it blocks the intercooler nicely. :mad: AZ boys, no worries.
Fun Fact, the Raptors they send to the middle east, have the license plate offset to one side like my 12' 3.5 EB Platinum was.

In general, I like the changes, seems like a positive step, just wonder how much extra these goodies are going to cost. :oops:

I noticed in the article they mentioned "Grabbing the steering wheel to get in" --- I thought I'd read that was always a no no as it would eventually wear the bushings and result in a loose steering shaft. I always try to grab the handle, not the wheel for that reason.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Impressive mall cruiser. You still cant lease them

attitude

Reaction score
Hopefully that 5th link makes it respond to weight a lot better. My 4 link in my Ram will get wobbly above 70 with two dirt bikes in the bed.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
My Boss just ordered 3, he gives them to his key managers as a perk. Glad I waited as, I will be getting one of those👍👍. He’s going to be ordering one of the R versions for himself.

He already placed his orders? Parker Ford says orders won't be available for at least a few weeks maybe a couple months.
What dealer did he go thru?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
He already placed his orders? Parker Ford says orders won't be available for at least a few weeks maybe a couple months.
What dealer did he go thru?

Honestly no clue. He’s got an in somewhere as he had one of the first C8s out there.

c_land

Reaction score
Why would you not want a linked rear in a Raptor?Based on the video it looks like the R will be out in 2022.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I think I jumped the gun on the leaf spring/link comment. I was thinking the trailing arms were going to be way too short (like what they use on a tahoe) to perform. These trailing arms look long and the aftermarket will surely have some upgrades from mild to wild.

Anyways, the builder is live on the ford website. You can build and price by MSRP.

the 37 package is cool from the factory, but I can't tell if they upgrade any running gear, or if its just the tires/shock valving. If just the tires/shock valving, i think I would buy the base model and go bigger on tires later.

I think one of these will be my next truck.

35's
1623421567451.png

37's
1623421626378.png

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I didn’t want to wait and didn’t want to be the first year so went with the current version. Figured by the time the new one is al sorted out I will be ready for a meeting one. 😂

7C323E1D-3D5F-4D3F-B7F1-C805ED2BF039.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
The 37" model from what I've read is certainly more than just tires. Although the tires are special as well, because they're a load range "C" similar to the current 35's, which allows lower air to achieve the weight rating which provides a softer ride. Also the 37 has a different frame, the frame is designed to accommodate the 37" spare.
The frame has also has been reinforced in areas to better cope with the stress created by the large tires. It makes sense that this 37 will be the platform for the V8 that's coming. Different hitch mounting also designed around the 37" tire.
Front shocks with larger shaft, different valving, along with some other shock changes. Front end is lifted an additional inch. A little more ground clearance, but a little less wheel travel is the penalty.
What I do not like about the 37" option is they only come with the Recaro seats with light speed blue leather and fucking code orange stitching. Depending on the truck color, those seat colors are going to suck and I'd much rather not have Recaros for my long Havasu drives.