WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2021 GMC 4x4 lift and tires

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We bought our 2021 GMC 2500 Sierra Denali crew cab regular bed w/ Diesel last year. I am clearing things off my plate and would like to make lifting it the next project. I have been looking at Lifts and wheel and tires. I have searched and have not seen any threads of what people are using. My goal is to do a mild lift and hope to retain the ride quality and load ratings. I am thinking leveling kit or 4” lift. Wheels in the 20” size and tires 35’s or 37’s.

Does anyone have thoughts on the following…..

Lift kits
Shocks
Wheels
Tires

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Don’t do 20s. Wished I would have done 18” with 37s but you may have to do a 6” lift to clear them. 4” level kit with 18” and 35s should be perfect.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I thought that stock wheels were currently 20s. :think: Will have to check once back in Havasu. I have read on the Cognito site and it says 35” with 2” level and 37” with 4” lift. 👍
Don’t do 20s. Wished I would have done 18” with 37s but you may have to do a 6” lift to clear them. 4” level kit with 18” and 35s should be perfect.

Pic for reference……

7A536E3F-F900-41BA-AAE4-317727481B1E.jpeg

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Lots of YouTube vids on putting 37's on these GMC HD trucks.

Cognito 4" lift will fit 35's easy and then there's some other company that can do 37s on a 4" lift with their wheel liner pullback kit and fender trimming.

You can do 18's or 20's just depends on how much sidewall you want.

If you stick with stock wheels 18x9/20x9 you can probably do it. Aftermarkets you need a slight positive, to neutral offset, or if you want the poke, you can go negative, but in all cases the wheels will have to be checked for interference with UCAs or outer frame rails.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
We bought our 2021 GMC 2500 Sierra Denali crew cab regular bed w/ Diesel last year. I am clearing things off my plate and would like to make lifting it the next project. I have been looking at Lifts and wheel and tires. I have searched and have not seen any threads of what people are using. My goal is to do a mild lift and hope to retain the ride quality and load ratings. I am thinking leveling kit or 4” lift. Wheels in the 20” size and tires 35’s or 37’s.

Does anyone have thoughts on the following…..

Lift kits
Shocks
Wheels
Tires

I'll add that Cognito makes full kits with Fox Shocks. Also, get their Pitman/Idler arm upgrade, its essential when you do a lift. I believe they also have other shock option if Fox arent your thing. They also have King.

Another company I would strongly consider would be Kryptonite. Or BDS. BDS (and Cognito) make a differential drop to get the CV angles back to level.

Note that some lifts if you dont fix the CV angles, will prohibit you from running 4W Auto above a certain speed. Also straightening out the tie rod angles will keep the steering better.

One of the major things to follow is keeping the stock wheel travel regardless of the lift. Its about 3". If your lift retains that stock wheel travel you will get the best ride. Dont want to crank the torsion keys too far either.

If you tow heavy you may want to look for forged wheels, but if you dont any will work. People seem to love putting MT tires on these trucks, but why escapes me. If you want a good ride (and if you tow) stick to the A/T stuff like ProComp, Falken Wildpeak AT3, Toyo AT3, Nitto TerraGrappler, etc.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Lots of YouTube vids on putting 37's on these GMC HD trucks.

Cognito 4" lift will fit 35's easy and then there's some other company that can do 37s on a 4" lift with their wheel liner pullback kit and fender trimming.

You can do 18's or 20's just depends on how much sidewall you want.

If you stick with stock wheels 18x9/20x9 you can probably do it. Aftermarkets you need a slight positive, to neutral offset, or if you want the poke, you can go negative, but in all cases the wheels will have to be checked for interference with UCAs or outer frame rails.
I have been looking into Cognito’s products. I get the sense that they build a better product. I am typically not one to go cheap to save money and sacrifice longevity. I want to do it once and have it done right. This is not our main off-road vehicle but would like to take it to the desert bar if the wife or parents want to have a bit of comfort over a SXS or Jeep.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I'll add that Cognito makes full kits with Fox Shocks. Also, get their Pitman/Idler arm upgrade, its essential when you do a lift. I believe they also have other shock option if Fox arent your thing. They also have King.

Another company I would strongly consider would be Kryptonite. Or BDS. BDS (and Cognito) make a differential drop to get the CV angles back to level.

Note that some lifts if you dont fix the CV angles, will prohibit you from running 4W Auto above a certain speed. Also straightening out the tie rod angles will keep the steering better.

One of the major things to follow is keeping the stock wheel travel regardless of the lift. Its about 3". If your lift retains that stock wheel travel you will get the best ride. Dont want to crank the torsion keys too far either.

If you tow heavy you may want to look for forged wheels, but if you dont any will work. People seem to love putting MT tires on these trucks, but why escapes me. If you want a good ride (and if you tow) stick to the A/T stuff like ProComp, Falken Wildpeak AT3, Toyo AT3, Nitto TerraGrappler, etc.

Great input. Thank you it is very helpful. I am usually a lowered/bagged truck guy and this is the first 4x4 lift that I am going to do.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I would imagine your stock tires end up being close to 35’s already. The stock f250’s in the current body style are 34.5’s. A lot of people seem to overlook that when they are talking about lifts on these new full-size trucks. Just watch out for the “professional” shops that sell you load range D tires to make their packages seem more affordable.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I would imagine your stock tires end up being close to 35’s already. The stock f250’s in the current body style are 34.5’s. A lot of people seem to overlook that when they are talking about lifts on these new full-size trucks. Just watch out for the “professional” shops that sell you load range D tires to make their packages seem more affordable.
Yeah, I have to look at what is there now. I hear you on shops that try to get you on the cheep stuff. Saw that on some of the sites and what is offered in their kits.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I have been looking into Cognito’s products. I get the sense that they build a better product. I am typically not one to go cheap to save money and sacrifice longevity. I want to do it once and have it done right. This is not our main off-road vehicle but would like to take it to the desert bar if the wife or parents want to have a bit of comfort over a SXS or Jeep.

Cognito is up in Bakersfield, so if you're really serious about this you could go check them out in person. I hear their warranty is really good as well so that helps too. I think them and Kryptonite have a "you break it we'll send you another one" policy so they both feel that they are well engineered.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I love gms! But they think wheels are square! 35s is the most I would put. 37s will fit but you won’t be able to go full lock unless you go 6inch lift. You might have to cut floor board to be able to fill lock.
I say throw some kings on it. Mazulla upper control arm. 35s on 18s and call it good!

Andy B.

Reaction score
I think the Daytona lady had a build on here last year maybe? Not sure if the body changed on the Chevys not up to date on that.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Call the shop or message the Instagram page. Chris is the one you talk to he is very helpful he won’t steer you wrong.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Hahaha OP wants a lift to mall crawl/cruise. Not run the Mint 400 haha

CST or Cognito perfect for the street and not stupid money.

Riverryder

Reaction score

this is RDP where rv garages with AC is normal!
i was just talking upper control and kings... but stock bugs run the mint so idk bro...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I did cognito lift leveling kit with upper control arms/keys/fox shocks on my 05 2500 HD over 10 years ago… still running strong. I used the truck in and out of my baja property and all over baja from the border to La paz.

Removed the read over load spring and replaced it with a progressive deaver.

The pitman arm correction was critical also.

Still have the truck but don’t drive it but a couple times a year. Too good of a truck to get rid of…

HNL2LHC

Reaction score

Ouch, i guess that I should rethink and make this a strictly off-road vehicle and get ride of the Jeep and never think about a SXS. Thanks for providing me the clarity that i was lacking. :thumbsup;