WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2021 Silverado steering question

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
So after getting rear-ended in our 2014 Silverado and being totaled, we just got a 2021 Silverado. Its the RST Z71. My question to any inmates or maybe Chevy Techs that may be here. I noticed on 2 trips on a winding road, when I make left turns the steering will not return to neutral and actually feel stuck and has to be pulled back to straight. It is an interment issue and has not happen on right turns. I have not noticed in town, only in mountains curves. I have not taken it back to dealer yet, but was wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues.

JDizel

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2021 2500hd. Thought maybe it was the 37" tires... After a quick inter web search guys are talking about bad intermediate steering shafts on these trucks.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Sounds like the spool valve in the rack is sticking. If it stays in the "pressure" position it won't allow the fluid to relax in the rack and the geometry to straighten the direction.

I have also seen issues with the steering angle sensor failing and causing low assist, at speed it feels like you loose power steering.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Does 2021 even still have have hydraulic assist or is it electric? If electric, look for a software update to fix it.

Havazoo

Reaction score
On the open road I turn off my lane assist, only use it around town, seems to help.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Does 2021 even still have have hydraulic assist or is it electric? If electric, look for a software update to fix it.
Thats what popped into my mind, a glitch in the stability control, or BCM programming...way to modern for my automotive wheelhouse.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Thats what popped into my mind, a glitch in the stability control, or BCM programming...way to modern for my automotive wheelhouse.

Cadillac has a reflash to eliminate brake pulsations by countering it with the steering rack..

I took a class with ZF on the electronic steering systems and what they can do (when they work) is nothing short of mind blowing.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Cadillac has a reflash to eliminate brake pulsations by countering it with the steering rack..

I took a class with ZF on the electronic steering systems and what they can do (when they work) is nothing short of mind blowing.

Lol? So countering the shimmy with the electric rack? Something has to give when there is a mechanical fault, bushings, joints, bearings....

Or are they sacrificing that $3800 electric column? Seems a brake job would be cheaper....?

Just looked and saw that it indeed has an electric rack. ibhsbz is correct, you should head to the dealer and look for an update.

cofooter

Reaction score
I have a 2020 and have not noticed anything odd with the steering after 10K miles.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Lol? So countering the shimmy with the electric rack? Something has to give when there is a mechanical fault, bushings, joints, bearings....

Or are they sacrificing that $3800 electric column? Seems a brake job would be cheaper....?

a reflash doesn’t take parts...and it’ll get it past the warranty period.

manxman

Reaction score
Got a 2021 4x4 non rst with the duramax and don't have that problem. My steering always seems to return to center. Its bone stock right now.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I got a 12 minute software update Saturday on our 2020 and so far so good. No bad side effects,,, yet. Hasn’t thrown a code in 182 miles.

Nothing going south on the truck surprises me anymore but it’s running good.

The high beam auto dimmer started working and the exhaust breaking is still useless.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
How is the turning radius compared to your 2014? I have a week and 500 miles on a 2021 LT Trailboss and I feel like it has a larger turning radius than even my 2017 2500hd. Definitely has a tighter/ more responsive feel to the steering than any of my other GM trucks which I like. Yes, I noticed that before going to 35" tires not that it would matter.
I have the lane departure system on our suburban and I hate it.
2021-02-23 16.19.38.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
my 2020 trailboss is normal...never had anything weird with the steering.