WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2022 Toyota Tundra

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was probably the first tech in the country to tear a set of heads off of that engine….I’m very familiar with them. The ran like a raped ape for their time, but still looked like a pussy truck compared to the 2000-2092 GM.

….and the seats fucking suck.

Purple was a factory color….and there you have it.

I remember my buddy was PISSED when my Tundra gapped his F150. Truck was quick AF, loved that thing. I used to take to to LACR and run the 1/4 mile, smacking CIVIC SI's and Integra's all day. Good times.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Best part about the first gen tundra is it's size. It hit a great happy medium that seems to be lost. First gen tundra's are only slightly bigger than current gen Tacoma and now full size trucks feel huge.

Dalton

Reaction score
Tundra = fugly

I am thinking about a 4x4 Tacoma to replace the Silverado. Only thing I tow is the pontoon to the boat ramp once in the spring and pull it in the fall. Ramp is 2 miles.

With the transmission bullshit I have been dealing with I am not too comfortable going with the F150 or Silverado.

Current Tacoma's have some trans issues, they're reliable, but they try and shift into 6th as quick as possible for fuel economy, the next generation Tacoma will share its platform with the Hilux, maybe wait for that one.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Best part about the first gen tundra is it's size. It hit a great happy medium that seems to be lost. First gen tundra's are only slightly bigger than current gen Tacoma and now full size trucks feel huge.

Remember the T100? It was like a 5% larger version of a Tacoma.

That thing flopped.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Current Tacoma's have some trans issues, they're reliable, but they try and shift into 6th as quick as possible for fuel economy, the next generation Tacoma will share its platform with the Hilux, maybe wait for that one.
Don’t do it. I bought a 21 Taco and wanted to love it. Engine and trans are complete shit. Ruined the experience. Traded it after 6 months. Can’t even maintain 75 on a flat highway. Let alone towing.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Don’t do it. I bought a 21 Taco and wanted to love it. Engine and trans are complete shit. Ruined the experience. Traded it after 6 months. Can’t even maintain 75 on a flat highway. Let alone towing.

Yeah the 3.5L V6 is great for a lightweight car.
But it’s not good in a truck, it has zero grunt and needs to spin.

The 4.0L made less power and torque but had a much more favorable powerband, all grunt.

pronstar

Reaction score
I think if you can put twin turbos on a V6 you can also put twin turbos on a V8...

They had a previous-Gen LS460 that was running around the ‘Ring with a twin-turbo V8 a few years back.
It got approved thru the chief engineer, but the Tahara plant manager killed it.

the car hadn’t gone through all of Lexus’ test standards and he refused to build it.

Let that sink in…the plant manager killed it.
Allegedly anyways.

Some info here:

One of these days I will own a Lexus with a Tahara-built V8. Truly a gem of an engine.

Side note:
I’m at the Toyota dealer meeting in Vegas, just shot the shit with the Tundra chief engineer for about a half hour. He’s got a long travel (Camburg) Tacoma with a bed cage that he dailies LOL

Now that they’ve moved Tacoma production to Mexico, the San Antonio plant will be churning out more Tundras than ever.
Still low volume compared to the domestics.

But tight supply is nowhere near demand. They’ve added a top trim Capstone that’s pretty dope.

You should hear the JBL system…it’s crazy

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Have the RDP votes ever been counted on just which engine and transmission package you're suffering from ? I've read 6, 8, 10, but don't recall the final answer.
Bummer regardless and I haven't suffered a bad transmission, Ford or Chevy, since I blew up the auto in my 57' Ford, and had to back home @ 2AM, 5 miles in reverse :oops:
I think you're suffering an extreme lemon that just needs to get shredded. 😖
You dealing with 10 speed trans problems? Or 6 or 8 speed problems?

Sorry I didn't make that clear earlier. 8 speed.

Can't say to much as I now have lawyers involved.

They had the truck for 2 months. Replaced 96 parts. Said they didn't have any new trans available nationwide. They told me those 96 parts are only warrantied for 12 months even with the 6yr 60K powertrain warranty. Not sure if that is true or not, certainly doesn't make sense to me.

I got lucky that they had a loaner for me, however they also said GM killed that program do to chip shortage. Just looked at the sticker for the truck and it says under the standard equipment "courtesy transportation"? Does that mean they have to provide transportation?

My dilemma.
We leave Saturday and head to Florida, with an overnight stop in Atlanta to visit family. I am trying to plan out contingencies if something goes wrong in bum fuck Egypt along the way. Yes I have towing, however I have an old dog with us and a pick up bed full of shit to take there. Would have to rent something. Rental trucks aren't to available, especially pick up in one location and drop off in another. So then I have to find a uhaul or something, but then again who knows where it will break down. I don't care about the cost, but availability. Thought about leaving truck here in TN and flying, but dog too old to fly and has never flown before. Plus all the shit my wife "HAS" to take back to FL.

Thought about going to a dealer here and just buy another to take to FL and sell/ give back this POS. Dealers here in small town BFE do not have what I want. Plus they want all the money for them. Once I get it to FL I have a lot more options to either buy a new one or use uber/lyft. We also have a bunch of friends there if we needed a car.

Yesterday I think it slipped going from 1st to 2nd, but not sure as I wasn't paying attention when the wife was talking. Over the next 2 days I will drive it to see if it happens again. If it does then I will probably eat the cost and try to rent something to get us there. If it doesn't act up then we will try to get it there.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

Can you explain more about the problems you had?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Pronstar hit the nail on the head, the 3.5 doesn’t cut it for truck duty.
Can you explain more about the problems you had?
I picked up a 21 Offroad model. The truck itself was rock solid, and well built. I expected more size inside considering the exterior size, it wasn’t uncomfortable, but coming from fullsize trucks it was a little tight.

The drivetrain was awful. If the truck came with 4.30 or 4.56 gears so that 6th gear was usable, it would be an improvement, but 6th gear is useless, unless you’re on level ground at 75+. The engine is a buzz box, with no power and rough/peaky power delivery. I understand it’s a V6- but other V6s in GM And Jeep products I’ve owned were more refined, and offered more power with smoother delivery.

MPG was awful. 15-16 average, high teens at 65 on the highway if you babied it.

That being said, it did tow my 5000 lb boat from PHX to havasu. It struggled on the hills between parker and havasu, but on level ground in 4th gear and sport mode it handled the boat at any speed just fine.

With a better power train and MPG the truck would be a winner. But there were too many compromises for me to like the truck. I’m probably being too harsh, lots of people love them. It was great off road, I will give it that.

I’ve owned/driven multiple Toyota’s, hiluxes, first gen runners, T100s, first gen tundras. I would take a T100 or first gen tundra over a new tacoma any day.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Thank you
Pronstar hit the nail on the head, the 3.5 doesn’t cut it for truck duty.

I picked up a 21 Offroad model. The truck itself was rock solid, and well built. I expected more size inside considering the exterior size, it wasn’t uncomfortable, but coming from fullsize trucks it was a little tight.

The drivetrain was awful. If the truck came with 4.30 or 4.56 gears so that 6th gear was usable, it would be an improvement, but 6th gear is useless, unless you’re on level ground at 75+. The engine is a buzz box, with no power and rough/peaky power delivery. I understand it’s a V6- but other V6s in GM And Jeep products I’ve owned were more refined, and offered more power with smoother delivery.

MPG was awful. 15-16 average, high teens at 65 on the highway if you babied it.

That being said, it did tow my 5000 lb boat from PHX to havasu. It struggled on the hills between parker and havasu, but on level ground in 4th gear and sport mode it handled the boat at any speed just fine.

With a better power train and MPG the truck would be a winner. But there were too many compromises for me to like the truck. I’m probably being too harsh, lots of people love them. It was great off road, I will give it that.

I’ve owned/driven multiple Toyota’s, hiluxes, first gen runners, T100s, first gen tundras. I would take a T100 or first gen tundra over a new tacoma any day.
Thank you. That worries me as I have had full size trucks forever. The one before this silverado was a 17 F350 dually. It was hard to get use to the smaller size of the 1500, but did get use to it. I drive quite a bit 33k on this one and it is just under 2 years old, so mileage doesn't sound good.. I could probably get use to the gearing, but not a buzz box. Ugh thought I had a good alternative. Will still test drive one as your hearing my be better than mine LOL

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Made it to Atlanta yesterday. It had me worried a couple of times. Doesn’t seam to like hills. Heading to Sarasota today.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Made it to Sarasota. Truck not shifting right. Some times it will slip and the go into gear. Other times it is a hard shift. Even when it is down shifting it sometimes slams into gear.

Will call the dealer here to see if they have loaners. Don't necessarily need a loaner as stated before, but being without a vehicle would suck. If they don't have one, I will then call the lawyer and ask him if it will hurt my case if I don't take it in. Just drive it till it breaks and kills the trans.

pronstar

Reaction score
If anyone is shopping for a new Tundra, make sure to audition the optional JBL sound system. We‘re putting together a track list for dealer training right now, and its simply amazing. The bass response from the sub is super clean, which is expected given 1200 watts of system power.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If anyone is shopping for a new Tundra, make sure to audition the optional JBL sound system. We‘re putting together a track list for dealer training right now, and its simply amazing. The bass response from the sub is super clean, which is expected given 1200 watts of system power.
I ran through a build and price of one yesterday and couldnt find the TRD Pro, do you know if I just missed it or if it isn't available on the site?

riverroyal

Reaction score
22 tundra beat 22 raptor in a drag race. I saw some you tube video. Tundra is a nice truck, they wont have any problems selling.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
22 tundra beat 22 raptor in a drag race. I saw some you tube video. Tundra is a nice truck, they wont have any problems selling.
Was the tundra a hybrid? as you know with your powerboost, adding a little electricity can make a turbo vehicle scoot while they get spooled

pronstar

Reaction score

If it’s the TFL vid, I think it was pretty impressive that the Raptor was on 37’s, and would’ve won if the race was 10 more feet

riverroyal

Reaction score
Was the tundra a hybrid? as you know with your powerboost, adding a little electricity can make a turbo vehicle scoot while they get spooled
I dont think. I will find the video.
Speaking of scoot, I rode in a 2022 M3 competition model two nights ago......holy F

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I dont think. I will find the video.
Speaking of scoot, I rode in a 2022 M3 competition model two nights ago......holy F
It's crazy how fast everything has gotten recently. My wife's X5 45E in sport mode on a full bore launch is out of sync with the rest of traffic it's too fast. Can't imagine what legit performance vehicles are like these days.

riverroyal

Reaction score
It's crazy how fast everything has gotten recently. My wife's X5 45E in sport mode on a full bore launch is out of sync with the rest of traffic it's too fast. Can't imagine what legit performance vehicles are like these days.
Mrs RR got a M340 a few months ago. Last years M motor and is stupid fast. The new M3 with the new grill and crap is scary. 500hp, low 3 seconds to 60mph