WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2022 wave runners

boatnam2

Reaction score
I know nicpaus and I are probably the lone wolf wave runner owners on RDP but if there is someone else, what do you think about the 2022 line up rolled out today?

hallett21

Reaction score
I know nicpaus and I are probably the lone wolf wave runner owners on RDP but if there is someone else, what do you think about the 2022 line up rolled out today?

They hitting 90 now lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
They hitting 90 now lol?

Not if the Coast Guard still has their say. Take that governor off and most of them will go beyond the coast guard limit. Imagine the increase in accidents if they went 90 and they didnt do anything to limit it for the hordes of renters. Renters should be forced into a "valet-mode" type operation.

Also I think if anything, they need to figure out brakes (some have something like that now) and steering without applying power and you will overcome the two biggest hurdles non-boat people have with controlling watercraft and minimizing accidents. Quite a few of the new ones start in "neutral" now as another safety feature.

I dont mind PWCs as a whole, having been on and owned both standups and the larger sit downs, but they just dont hold my attention very long so I dont do them much. I do mind the idiots that dont know what they are doing on them, though and are a hazard to themselves and others because they dont know the rules of the water.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Not if the Coast Guard still has their say. Take that governor off and most of them will go beyond the coast guard limit. Imagine the increase in accidents if they went 90 and they didnt do anything to limit it for the hordes of renters. Renters should be forced into a "valet-mode" type operation.

Also I think if anything, they need to figure out brakes (some have something like that now) and steering without applying power and you will overcome the two biggest hurdles non-boat people have with controlling watercraft and minimizing accidents. Quite a few of the new ones start in "neutral" now as another safety feature.

I dont mind PWCs as a whole, having been on and owned both standups and the larger sit downs, but they just dont hold my attention very long so I dont do them much. I do mind the idiots that dont know what they are doing on them, though and are a hazard to themselves and others because they dont know the rules of the water.
I have an Aquatrax turbo that runs in the high 60's and that's about as fast as I wanna go on it. 90+ doesn't sound like a good idea

hallett21

Reaction score

Had no idea there was a regulation. Aren’t they already getting into upper 70s stock?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My crap is still 2 stroke...mostly. I like the abilities the new one's have, and the longevity of the motors. The price tag for a pair though, new, would buy a fairly decent used boat.
Even with Covid pricing!

boatnam2

Reaction score
They pretty much do have brakes now with the reverse feature, with that you can also spin around a buoy in a perfect circle or stay in one place while running or even dock pretty easy.

instagator

Reaction score

My 2019 seadoo GTR has brakes, stops in half the distance. I dont need them, I drive race boats !

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
Funky ass new colors for sure. I like that they changed the hull material on the FX series to SMC. It gained 40 lbs, but NanoXcell makes me nervous. I like the new 7" touch screen. Still put a deposit down for a 2022 SuperJet since hardly any 2021 SJ were delivered.
I have a 2020 FXSVHO CRUISER and it's a monster
20210514_094742.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

D19

Reaction score
The new Jet Blaster looks kind of cool... Kind of seems like a Wave Blaster III, but a little bigger than the WB 1 and 2. They must be trying to keep the marketability high for more riders/sales. I really want another Wave Blaster 1 or 2, but my wife does not. This might be a good fit for us.

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score

boatnam2

Reaction score
Funky ass new colors for sure. I like that they changed the hull material on the FX series to SMC. It gained 40 lbs, but NanoXcell makes me nervous. I like the new 7" touch screen. Still put a deposit down for a 2022 SuperJet since hardly any 2021 SJ were delivered.
View attachment 1039455

Nice, i think that's what i will get come winter.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I am on the list for a new Superjet. Have not had time to see if any changes from last year. Waiting on another ski Still market is to hot currently. Use the boat for now and my old prehistoric 270HP Yamaha FZR.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I like the new all white VX, I wish it came like that in a SVHO .

DBMX

Reaction score
It's basically a Yamaha EX series entry level sit down with different handle bars and foot step/holder

Yes, but why?

The goal of a new model (as well as the investment in assembly, components, etc) is to attract a new customer. There's a ton of work that goes into setting up a new model even if it is mixing and matching items from various models. I don't imagine there's anyone currently on the sidelines that will see this and think "Funky 90's graphics and a different handle bar? Time for me to get a sit down!!" Especially with the amount of EX options/price points offered.

I used to work for Yamaha, and when I think about I guess I'm not really surprised by it. 😂 They've done some stuff that had us all shaking our heads.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I think the blaster is just something Yamaha produced to compete with the sea doo spark. has to be semi cheap and can do a wheelie.

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
Finnegan just released a video on this model. Looks pretty fun.

Any input here @cyclone

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I am not a couch riding type of dude so I was totally surprised by how fun the Jet Blaster was. I'd ride it again. It stupid fun. the adjustable jet trim and fairly light weight make it way better than any other sit down I've been on.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Best thing about a wave runner at Parker, you can go to Foxes 4-5 times a day, no mater how packed it is( why stop if t isnt) easy peasy no mess. The boat i would just pass by as i didn't fill like playing bumper boats. Next best thing you can walk it in at upper sandbar and check out the talent and leave easy peasy.

Springfield

Reaction score
Best thing about a wave runner at Parker, you can go to Foxes 4-5 times a day, no mater how packed it is( why stop if t isnt) easy peasy no mess. The boat i would just pass by as i didn't fill like playing bumper boats. Next best thing you can walk it in at upper sandbar and check out the talent and leave easy peasy.
Like this?

7813739F-CE0D-409C-BF82-0F065FF9B83B.png

clarence

Reaction score
View attachment 1039455

Yeah, not a fan of most of the colors.

I'd probably go with a FX SVHO otherwise, but looking at the FX Cruiser SVHO (in Black).

How do you like the Cruiser seating?

DLC

Reaction score
I’d like to know which 4th grade class is designing these color choices!

id like a big cruiser w/ the biggest HP and fuel tank and have it in a classic color combo

like this sea doo. This is what I’d buy…. In a Yamaha

9B8186BF-32CF-47C3-B836-10B912BF2E60.jpeg
F8699FCF-4762-4BB2-9326-7146B68BD30E.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
I had my eye on this one last year but the prices are high

BC65A08B-4D6A-40D7-8F1F-9755E5193D41.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

I’ve always thought a skag down the nozzle would be a great start. A valet law to keep all rentals under a given speed (40 would be a decent compromise) and the rentals would be way better all around for the bystanders.

boatnam2

Reaction score
New yami colors looking pretty fresh in person, yet to see a SVHO yet.

rrrr

Reaction score
I have an Aquatrax turbo that runs in the high 60's and that's about as fast as I wanna go on it. 90+ doesn't sound like a good idea
I owned two non-turbo Hondas, and they would hit just over 60 on a good day. The hull of the Aquatrax provides a good ride, and they handle well. Dunno why Honda bailed out of the market, their skis were really nice. Mine ran like a typical Honda product, put gas in it, haul ass, and no worries about breakdowns.

Taboma

Reaction score
New yami colors looking pretty fresh in person, yet to see a SVHO yet.
Having some problems of late with my Wife's vintage 99' Yamaha XL1200, mine's a 02' Kawai STRX 1200, they've been ridden problem free since new, but it might be time to move on. Also we'd like to ride cop-worry free on Mohave and Mead, so been eyeballing the new models.

Recently had a well known Havasu PWC repair shop recommend to stick with the newer model Yamaha HO engines, that the SVHOs are still prone to supercharger clutch failures. Is this something problematic to the more casual rider with the occasional high speed run, or more the aggressive performance rider ?

Anybody ordered one ? I've read it's a really long wait and everybody's still paying the COVID premium markups or certainly no deals to be had.

My rub against Yamaha of recent years has been that the seats are so wide, and I really don't care for these seat humps that keep your crotch jammed hard forward. I want to be able to move around a bit more.

I owned a problematic Sea Doo many years ago, so I'm gun shy, but I find their seating far more comfortable than Yamahas. Hell, even those mondo Kawasaki seats are so much more comfortable. We're somewhat intimidated by the weight of these new skis, Kawai seems to be the Hippo of the waterways.

I get the "Racing" seat design, holds you in place without fatiguing your arms, but I think the Yamaha "Cruiser" seats completely suck with that horse saddle design.
I suppose I could spent some $$ and have custom seats made.

I read that the newer Yamahas have more narrow seating, but I can't find one in any showroom to sit on.
Trust me, when you get a bit older you'll come to understand how comfortable seats make your riding days far more pleasurable. 😁

What I've noticed is, any Sea Doos or Yamahas I've seen dealer pre-ordered, asking for deposits (Hey, just like Speedy Robbie ;)) have the damned speaker pods --- They can shove those right up their asses as they'd be the first thing I'd sawzall off. :mad:

HotRod82

Reaction score
Having some problems of late with my Wife's vintage 99' Yamaha XL1200, mine's a 02' Kawai STRX 1200, they've been ridden problem free since new, but it might be time to move on. Also we'd like to ride cop-worry free on Mohave and Mead, so been eyeballing the new models.

Recently had a well known Havasu PWC repair shop recommend to stick with the newer model Yamaha HO engines, that the SVHOs are still prone to supercharger clutch failures. Is this something problematic to the more casual rider with the occasional high speed run, or more the aggressive performance rider ?

Anybody ordered one ? I've read it's a really long wait and everybody's still paying the COVID premium markups or certainly no deals to be had.

My rub against Yamaha of recent years has been that the seats are so wide, and I really don't care for these seat humps that keep your crotch jammed hard forward. I want to be able to move around a bit more.

I owned a problematic Sea Doo many years ago, so I'm gun shy, but I find their seating far more comfortable than Yamahas. Hell, even those mondo Kawasaki seats are so much more comfortable. We're somewhat intimidated by the weight of these new skis, Kawai seems to be the Hippo of the waterways.

I get the "Racing" seat design, holds you in place without fatiguing your arms, but I think the Yamaha "Cruiser" seats completely suck with that horse saddle design.
I suppose I could spent some $$ and have custom seats made.

I read that the newer Yamahas have more narrow seating, but I can't find one in any showroom to sit on.
Trust me, when you get a bit older you'll come to understand how comfortable seats make your riding days far more pleasurable. 😁

What I've noticed is, any Sea Doos or Yamahas I've seen dealer pre-ordered, asking for deposits (Hey, just like Speedy Robbie ;)) have the damned speaker pods --- They can shove those right up their asses as they'd be the first thing I'd sawzall off. :mad:
FWIW - a buddy of mine rides a svho which I believe is 2 years old and it has been flawless. I’ve ridden it a few times and totally agree with you on the seat being too wide especially when trying to stand up in rough water.

Taboma

Reaction score
FWIW - a buddy of mine rides a svho which I believe is 2 years old and it has been flawless. I’ve ridden it a few times and totally agree with you on the seat being too wide especially when trying to stand up in rough water.

I think most of the SC clutch failures are from spirited riding in rougher water. The loading and unloading of the pump causes radical RPM swings which seems to take it's toll on the SC clutch. I'd think more casual, constant RPM cruising with occasional speed runs isn't going to overly stress it.
I have heard, when it goes, it does so without warning.
The real question for us, given the reality of age and far less aggressive riding than in our younger days, do we really need it anyway ?
Both our skis were modified for endurance racing early on, back when our "Need for Speed" was far more of an addiction. They've been extremely durable, light, and are pretty fast, running easily into the high 60's and more. But, we rarely push them hard anymore, my shoulders won't hold up to aggressive racing turns and I don't seek out the large waves to fly high off of anymore, I don't need any broken bones.
So just maybe, and it's painful for me admit, perhaps a smidgen over 60 on an HO, is fast enough ???

clarence

Reaction score
So how many horsepower does the SVHO have now?

Though horsepower numbers are no longer quoted, 260 hp is a realistic ballpark.

clarence

Reaction score
id like a big cruiser w/ the biggest HP and fuel tank and have it in a classic color combo

like this sea doo. This is what I’d buy…. In a Yamaha

I've been debating between a performance boat (Tuff 24) or bowrider (Formula 240 BR) since I retired a year ago. Preferring the former, but knowing the latter more guest-friendly.

Only just occurred to me I could go with a jet ski instead, if I think of it as a motorcycle replacement, and so sidestep the responsibility for entertaining guests.

Low effort (trailer and launch, clean) and cost (purchase, operate, maintain, insure) is attractive too as I'm learning how busy I am with other interests.

I can always rent a boat (free with the savings) if ever I need to entertain guests.

So yeah, looking at the 2022 (much improved) Yamaha FX (big cruiser) line with the SVHO (biggest) engine. Unfortunately, no such thing as a classic color combo.

Might go with the HO engine which has some advantages (greater fuel economy, range) in the less objectionable FX HO color combo and wait for a better SVHO option in years to come?

Attachments

• yamaha fx ho.jpg
    yamaha fx ho.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27

clarence

Reaction score
The 2022 FX Cruiser SVHO color combo isn't even that objectionable, just so less attractive than the 2021.

Attachments

• yamaha fx cruiser svho.jpg
    yamaha fx cruiser svho.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2021 yamaha fx cruiser svho.jpg
    2021 yamaha fx cruiser svho.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 28

clarence

Reaction score

My local dealer is closed and I won't visit him until next week, but I saw a 2021 FX Cruiser SVHO for sale in the window and pwctrader.com has many for sale.

The new [2021] seat is 1.5" narrower than previous years...

...the damned speaker pods --- They can shove those right up their asses as they'd be the first thing I'd sawzall off. :mad:

What's not to like about the speaker pods?

Taboma

Reaction score
The 2022 FX Cruiser SVHO color combo isn't even that objectionable, just so less attractive than the 2021.

Won't own anybody's ski with that style of seat --- and it seems with Kawasaki now being the exception, they're all have that ridiculous bolstering.

Just curious, have you checked with any Yamaha dealers to see when you might be able to get one ? One dealership told me if I order now, maybe two years. :eek:

DLC

Reaction score
I kind of like this color scheme but not sure…. Have to see it in person!

it might show off the water spots & it’s really busy! A lot going on!
73531B5C-6024-4339-957A-691702106EFB.jpeg