WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2023 LA Boatshow report

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
So we have concluded the “performance hall” only to goto the next hall and find hotboats!! As well Brad from SoCal Jetboats had a large booth there, NJBA and Place Diverter as well! I thought it was cool these guys showed up and it added a lot to the show if you ask me.

That was "The Show". The rest was just fluff. :)

Thanks for the show coverage Dave!~

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
And finally the “Belle of the Ball” as they say.. this was by far and away the most talked about boat in the performance hall and it drew such crowds that eventually they pulled the steps away from the boat to try and minimize so many people getting up on it and not leaving.. lol (seriously). It’s definitely different and everyone I talked to absolutely loved it.

I believe they have approximately 30 on order now and I know the wait list is approaching two years if it isn’t past two years.

[email protected]
909-465-3419

View attachment 1192194 View attachment 1192195 View attachment 1192196 View attachment 1192197 View attachment 1192198 View attachment 1192199 View attachment 1192200 View attachment 1192201 View attachment 1192202 View attachment 1192203 View attachment 1192204 View attachment 1192205 View attachment 1192206 View attachment 1192207 View attachment 1192208 View attachment 1192209 View attachment 1192210 View attachment 1192211 View attachment 1192212 View attachment 1192213 View attachment 1192214 View attachment 1192215 View attachment 1192216 View attachment 1192217 View attachment 1192218 View attachment 1192219 View attachment 1192220 View attachment 1192221
Thanks for covering the ChaseToon... thats a lot of orders which is fantastic.... It'll be interesting to learn where they mostly end up. I could see applications far and wide in the states beyond Havasu.

DWC

Reaction score
First water test it ran flawlessly. Hopefully this week we will conclude final water testing with more props
Assume it’s faster? Any other benefits from the new bottom? Pretty cool to see the evolution.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Assume it’s faster? Any other benefits from the new bottom? Pretty cool to see the evolution.

I'm assuming they provided more transom lift (somehow, whether that's filling the notch or adding lifting strakes etc.) to account for the outboards..

RD

Englewood

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has their OCD going off from this picture?
ad4cd9b0-e641-4e9b-b4f0-1a51cfb8ad5d-jpeg.1192198
The circles on the sea deck don't line up...
I have ocd but I don’t see what your seeing 🤷🏼‍♂️
The circles on the sea deck

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yup… hopefully Horizon can bring it back and put some new products out there. Or just start selling some swag 😂
I know the River folks were fans of the brand back in their day. I just think thats a very crowded space for that sized performance boat. Looks like the present active builders have market covered. Still hoping for Sosa Performance to drop freshness on it some day.

hallett21

Reaction score
So what’s the AZ builder’s excuse lol.
I was taking to Jerry Barron one day...

He was telling me how all the CARB regulations have pushed the price of boats into the stratosphere.

Old days? Fuel tanks? A few hundred bucks and your done.

Today? Total EVAP systems are Expensive to design, and install!!! We are well beyond hundreds and into the thousands. And fuel tanks are just ONE aspect...

I don't think most people realize how much CARB regulations have pushed up the price of the sport we all love.

And it affects Everything being sold in CA. 😔

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Soooo, I see a lot of these boats have some form of suede interior, how does that hold up? Seems problematic to me.
I know a guy that says these interiors don’t hold up. Either they seperate from the backing or they fade until they are no longer the as built color. Better to stick to regular upholstery, unless you got the bucks to keep replacing it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So what’s the AZ builder’s excuse lol.

Well...

Years ago the big 3 had CA cars and Other cars. They dropped that program decades ago.

Why?

Cause most other states eventually adopted the CA standard anyways, and it got too expensive to build different cars for different states!

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm gonna guess all the boat builders have done the same? 🤷‍♂️

hallett21

Reaction score
Well...

Years ago the big 3 had CA cars and Other cars. They dropped that program decades ago.

Why?

Cause most other states eventually adopted the CA standard anyways, and it got too expensive to build different cars for different states!

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm gonna guess all the boat builders have done the same? 🤷‍♂️
I shoulda put a smiley I was half screwing around. Prices only go up 😁😉

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
The green cobra is a friends boat, I know what they paid and let’s say it’s a pretty boat lmao

200?

It’s my dream boat. Pre covid build with a 565 was going to be 140 and I kick myself for not building one now. 😂😂

Reactions: DWC

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I know a guy that says these interiors don’t hold up. Either they seperate from the backing or they fade until they are no longer the as built color. Better to stick to regular upholstery, unless you got the bucks to keep replacing it.

Have heard the same, they don't hold up. The black is especially terrible because it fades and then looks pinkish. If I was building a new boat, I would do what the wake guys do and put the cool touch interior in.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I was taking to Jerry Barron one day...

He was telling me how all the CARB regulations have pushed the price of boats into the stratosphere.

Old days? Fuel tanks? A few hundred bucks and your done.

Today? Total EVAP systems are Expensive to design, and install!!! We are well beyond hundreds and into the thousands. And fuel tanks are just ONE aspect...

I don't think most people realize how much CARB regulations have pushed up the price of the sport we all love.

And it affects Everything being sold in CA. 😔

Remember, just because some fringe group calls for something, does not mean they will get it…

And yet they did, and they already have 🤪

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
That is the Gatorstep design that plays off the lines on the side of the boat
Not to be overly critical but if they play off the lines on the sides they should line up in the rear. Then the line coming to the back should land at the same heights. These are not so the angles could be off……But now that I think about it maybe the panel that we are looking at are two different lengths and causing it to look off. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Either way that is a good looking pontoon. 👍

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not to be overly critical but if they play off the lines on the sides they should line up in the rear. Then the line coming to the back should land at the same heights. These are not so the angles could be off……But now that I think about it maybe the panel that we are looking at are two different lengths and causing it to look off. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Either way that is a good looking pontoon. 👍

It might be the angle of the photo.. I usually notice stuff like this, and I didn't notice it in person.

RD

stonehenge

Reaction score
Amazing write ups and photos!

With Howards new owner are they still sticking to their legendary quality crafts? And do you know if they offer any kind of billet seat bases on the 255vtx?

thanks again for this thread

curtiej10

Reaction score
Thank you, in person it looks a lot different and we played with the idea of the lines wrapping around which just was too busy.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Amazing write ups and photos!

With Howards new owner are they still sticking to their legendary quality crafts? And do you know if they offer any kind of billet seat bases on the 255vtx?

thanks again for this thread

The seat bases on the 288 and the 255 are tooled into the floor of the boat, so they would not be offering billet seat bases. Curious why would you want a billet seat base over what's there right now? You actually get a little storage under the seat with the current configuration.

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Thank you, in person it looks a lot different and we played with the idea of the lines wrapping around which just was too busy.
I wonder how it would looks with just a 5" toe kick around that back pod.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am kinda surprised that nobody liked those 360 cam vids I put up on the last page.. We edited the camera angles to just kinda give a quick tour of the boat, but again we can put the actual footage up so you can spin it around etc..

I honestly thought that would be the next "big thing".

RD

stonehenge

Reaction score
The seat bases on the 288 and the 255 are tooled into the floor of the boat, so they would not be offering billet seat bases. Curious why would you want a billet seat base over what's there right now? You actually get a little storage under the seat with the current configuration.

RD
I like the idea of a drop-down option on the seat cushion, allowing the driver and or passenger to stand if they want to, in addition I like the openness and look of the billet base. However, I did not know they were tooled into the floor, nor did I know they had storage underneath, kinda cool.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I like the idea of a drop-down option on the seat cushion, allowing the driver and or passenger to stand if they want to, in addition I like the openness and look of the billet base. However, I did not know they were tooled into the floor, nor did I know they had storage underneath, kinda cool.

Can you get a swivel option for the passenger perhaps? or even the driver?

Both those boats are way too low freeboard to be standing up in them.

RD

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I am kinda surprised that nobody liked those 360 cam vids I put up on the last page.. We edited the camera angles to just kinda give a quick tour of the boat, but again we can put the actual footage up so you can spin it around etc..

I honestly thought that would be the next "big thing".

RD
I think the issue is there is no preview color for click bait. They almost look like dead links on the page.

Once clicked they are pretty cool. I wouldn't give up on the concept yet.

DiamondDave

Reaction score
I think the issue is there is no preview color for click bait. They almost look like dead links on the page.

Once clicked they are pretty cool. I wouldn't give up on the concept yet.
This

havasu5150

Reaction score
Thanks for the report on the show Dave. very informative.

riverroyal2

Reaction score
I cant afford any of this stuff anymore... $1300 boat payments must be normal

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ranger Pontoon for 121k!

Compare to Bennington at 200k!

Bennington RX Sport twin 300’s

Let me know what ya think!

RD

RiverDave