WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

21’ Daytona Teague

Eliminator Boats

Reaction score
This is a replacement hull for an insurance claim.
It will replace the 21’ Daytona that was originally built with the arneson surface drive (changed to imco scx)
Owner hit a large submerged object at high speed and damaged the hull.
A543BAAE-1DEA-439C-A8BF-5F8C35177D49.jpeg

J.P.

Reaction score
Always like the balsa look in the 21 Daytona's.

farmo83

Reaction score
How did the arneson surface drive perform ? I assume not very well if it got converted

I took Dad to firebird in 2009 for fathers day so he could cross that off his bucket list and they had that boat there. Our jaws were on the floor.

Hopefully this doesn't hijack this thread. Great Build!

Eliminator Boats

Reaction score
How did the arneson surface drive perform ? I assume not very well if it got converted

I took Dad to firebird in 2009 for fathers day so he could cross that off his bucket list and they had that boat there. Our jaws were on the floor.

Hopefully this doesn't hijack this thread. Great Build!
Transom lift made the boat a spooky ride.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Always wanted to know how the hell you laminate the inside seam out at the bow, I had to tighten up my bow eye once, luckily my 14 year old daughter knew how to hold a wrench, and I sent her 90 lbs body up in there, and it was tight for her.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Always wanted to know how the hell you laminate the inside seam out at the bow, I had to tighten up my bow eye once, luckily my 14 year old daughter knew how to hold a wrench, and I sent her 90 lbs body up in there, and it was tight for her.

Always thought that was when you were supposed to start a “converting to open bow” thread....

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Any progress on this boat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HCP3

Reaction score
So tiny next to the Fundeck!

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this is setup. Our buddy Adam had a CRAZY fast 21 Daytona that ran 140+ mph, thankfully I was never in it for those runs.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
This thing is gonna be Ridiculously Fast and like riding in one of those cartoon boats you used to see on t-shirts back in the day. :D
I like it ALOT but as I have aged I have come to realize that I'm not invincible anymore.::D

RCDave

Reaction score
Holy Moly. That's all I have to say about that!

HCP3

Reaction score
What top speed can a 21' handle? I guess you prop this thing way down? Honest question.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What top speed can a 21' handle? I guess you prop this thing way down? Honest question.
That’s a great question!
I’m not sure how many have really pushed one?
I know of several jet boats that will do a legit 100-108, and I think I remember hearing about a guy in? Oklahoma? I think? Knocking on the door of 130, but not within a quarter mile run.

I can’t remember now if @Bullhead bully ever did a 21? I know he’s had several Eliminator’s over the decades, he might be a good person to ask.

With this insane setup I think it will go as fast as the testicular fortitude of the driver will allow. :cool:

Shortdeck

Reaction score
My good buddy had a 21 that ran 108 with a jet. Took a lot of trial and error to figure it out since the boat was converted from an I/O to jet. Boat had a E85 565ci motor to run those speeds. Super unreliable setup. He would either break a Jesel shaft rocker or run out of fuel and I’d tow him back.
IMG_0530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
It's a nice looking boat and I'm sure it will haul the mail. The uneven exhaust tips would bug the shit out of me. Surprised that slipped out of Teague's shop like that. Interested to see how this baby runs though.

HCP3

Reaction score
It's a nice looking boat and I'm sure it will haul the mail. The uneven exhaust tips would bug the shit out of me. Surprised that slipped out of Teague's shop like that. Interested to see how this baby runs though.
Good eye. Didn't see that until now. Hopefully just camera perspective.

HCP3

Reaction score
My good buddy had a 21 that ran 108 with a jet. Took a lot of trial and error to figure it out since the boat was converted from an I/O to jet. Boat had a E85 565ci motor to run those speeds. Super unreliable setup. He would either break a Jesel shaft rocker or run out of fuel and I’d tow him back.
View attachment 791381

That is flying in a jet. Damn.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I have had 2, 1 went 95, the other 102. Both where outboards. I wouldn’t want to go any faster in one.
That being said, 21 Daytona is my favorite boat. Would love one with the new 450 on it.

stoker2001

Reaction score
He would either break a Jesel shaft rocker or run out of fuel and I’d tow him back.
View attachment 791381

I thought that's why you spend big bucks on the jesel to avoid breakage?seen a lot of daytona 21s in my time,but never any with a deck like that?first gen maybe?

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I thought that's why you spend big bucks on the jesel to avoid breakage?seen a lot of daytona 21s in my time,but never any with a deck like that?first gen maybe?

Yes it’s the first gen 21 Daytona. The motor came from a mid 90’s drag car and had a lot of cool parts like aluminum connecting rods. It had huge cam that that was intended for drag racing and not cruising down the river. The Jesel rockers were the weak link in the valve train.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Yes it’s the first gen 21 Daytona. The motor came from a mid 90’s drag car and had a lot of cool parts like aluminum connecting rods. It had huge cam that that was intended for drag racing and not cruising down the river. The Jesel rockers were the weak link in the valve train.

I wonder what the water pressure was like in the motor, I should imagine well enought if it was a jet drive. My chevelle used to break rocker studs on my 421" small block when I built it. Then I went with bigger studs, broke those. Then I went with girdles, then start ceasing valves and smacking them with pistons. Then I started going after the valve guides to stop them heat seizing the valves. Heads came off over a dozen times after carnage, and eventually restricted the flow out the thermostat housing down a couple sizes which increased the water pressure in the head, solved the problem. It turns out the water was exiting too easy and not under enough pressure, so not fully filling the water jacket, causing hot spots at the top, next to the guides, and breaking valve train stuff all the time. Different type of motor, different application, but always my first thought when people break unbreakable valve train stuff.

Last edited:

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
I can attest to 119.9 on a handheld gps in my old 1989 21' daytona. One of the first with a bravo IO, put a 2" shorty on it when I bought it and built a 502ci motor to run NOS. Boat went 106 on gas (VP race fuel) and consistently 116 on NOS. 350 HP Nitrous Xpress set up. Fun boat that handled the chop pretty well and was pretty predictable on the top end but you could over trim the hell out of it and it would let you know. Sad story in the end for that boat.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Rode in our buddy Adam's 21 Daytona I/O several times into 120s. He ran it to 140+ , thankfully I was NOT in it any of those days.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
What’s the latest on this 21?