WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

21 RC I/O VS 21 RC V-DRIVE

milkmoney

Reaction score
If both boats are equipped the same, as far as seating, year built, horsepower etc.
same speed and condition. Jus like going up or down river together , side by side .

Which , if either will ride better , or will it be the exact same ride. ????

Thanks [emoji202]

hallett21

Reaction score
I think HP for HP the I/O will have better mid range and top end. As well as be better around docks.

However the ride quality in the 21 v-drive is hard to beat, and I imagine the V-drive will outturn the I/O significantly

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I think HP for HP the I/O will have better mid range and top end. As well as be better around docks.

However the ride quality in the 21 v-drive is hard to beat, and I imagine the V-drive will outturn the I/O significantly

How could it outurn the I/O...if the I/O is better around docks?

For the same HP the Sterndrive would be faster, and turn better than the V-Drive.

As far as ride most people seem to think the v-drives ride smoother.

hallett21

Reaction score
How could it outurn the I/O...if the I/O is better around docks?

For the same HP the Sterndrive would be faster, and turn better than the V-Drive.

As far as ride most people seem to think the v-drives ride smoother.

I would think at speed a V-drive with a rudder and turn fin would out corner an I/O no?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
If both boats are equipped the same, as far as seating, year built, horsepower etc.
same speed and condition. Jus like going up or down river together , side by side .

Thanks [emoji202]

Fags don't drive V-Drives.

Hope this helps with your decision. :moon:

thetub

Reaction score

Thanks [emoji202]

I would say the stern drive would ride and be more user friendly. Power for power stern drive over Vdrive.

turning fast would be a Vdrive, but not around docks... cruising around would be stern drive cause you can trim drive up or down along with trim tabs...

My 2 cents a Stern drive boat is more like a softail Harley and a Vdrive is like a rigid. The Vdrive will rattle you to death and you gotta check all your bolts after cruising around...:)

thats my 2 cents worth from my experience...

cool factor Vdrive...

aaronschiada

Reaction score
Are you asking for conversation purposes? Or are you in need of justification for purchasing a certain Schiada with an I/O? Haha. Either way, I think you should get what you really want, and not sacrifice your decision based off of what is currently available on the market.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I'm a purist and believe in equal rights for both feet. It should have left and right foot pedals. [emoji106]

The I/O will be all around comfy but a Schiada is hard to beat in its native mechanical habitat so I say V-Drive. Especially if you're looking at anything with any horsepower and airing it out.

There is nothing that sounds better than a v-drive rounding the turn at Fox's and putting the wood to the meatloaf hauler [emoji2]

milkmoney

Reaction score
I would say the stern drive would ride and be more user friendly. Power for power stern drive over Vdrive.

turning fast would be a Vdrive, but not around docks... cruising around would be stern drive cause you can trim drive up or down along with trim tabs...

My 2 cents a Stern drive boat is more like a softail Harley and a Vdrive is like a rigid. The Vdrive will rattle you to death and you gotta check all your bolts after cruising around...:)

thats my 2 cents worth from my experience...

cool factor Vdrive...

Great response. Thank you [emoji106][emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Are you asking for conversation purposes? Or are you in need of justification for purchasing a certain Schiada with an I/O? Haha. Either way, I think you should get what you really want, and not sacrifice your decision based off of what is currently available on the market.

Jus in , wondering is all. And I agree with ur last comment. Which one certain schiada u speaking of. Ha ha
Thanks[emoji106][emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
I'm a purist and believe in equal rights for both feet. It should have left and right foot pedals. [emoji106]

The I/O will be all around comfy but a Schiada is hard to beat in its native mechanical habitat so I say V-Drive. Especially if you're looking at anything with any horsepower and airing it out.

There is nothing that sounds better than a v-drive rounding the turn at Fox's and putting the wood to the meatloaf hauler [emoji2]

How I agree with ur whole statement. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji41][emoji12][emoji202]

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
If your looking for turnkey. A mercruiser I/o is as turnkey as you're gonna get. It's going to be a great family cruiser with little maintenance. Pump gas. Fuel injection. Turn the key and go.

A vdrive with big power is a different animal. They could be turnkey too but when something fails expect to spend cubic dollars to fix it. Or you like turning wrenches. They need more attention. And they suck fuel and possibly good fuel. WMC got a taste of 1500 dollars in fuel for a weekend and decided that wasn't for him. Vdrives are good second boats imo.

Nothing compares to a properly setup vdrive with big power as far as fun and ride quality.

milkmoney

Reaction score
If your looking for turnkey. A mercruiser I/o is as turnkey as you're gonna get. It's going to be a great family cruiser with little maintenance. Pump gas. Fuel injection. Turn the key and go.

A vdrive with big power is a different animal. They could be turnkey too but when something fails expect to spend cubic dollars to fix it. Or you like turning wrenches. They need more attention. And they suck fuel and possibly good fuel. WMC got a taste of 1500 dollars in fuel for a weekend and decided that wasn't for him. Vdrives are good second boats imo.

Nothing compares to a properly setup vdrive with big power as far as fun and ride quality.

I completely agree with the analogy of turn key vs the vdrive big power issues and fun factor.

More wondering if the ride of the hull is the same for either way a 21 RC is equipped. ??

[emoji41][emoji202]

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

Thanks [emoji202]

Shit or get off the pot you stroke! Lol

milkmoney

Reaction score
What does it matter? You won't post a picture of it any way! [emoji202][emoji202][emoji51][emoji51][emoji481]

Lol. We decided When we purchase. U guys will get sick of all the pics [emoji106][emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Shit or get off the pot you stroke! Lol

I am I am. Jus have to wait til next month [emoji106][emoji106][emoji202]
My wife wants to know if she gets a sign like u gave Paul. She thought it was cool [emoji41][emoji202]

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I am I am. Jus have to wait til next month [emoji106][emoji106][emoji202]
My wife wants to know if she gets a sign like u gave Paul. She thought it was cool [emoji41][emoji202]

I can give you the guys info so you can order one if you want. They're pretty badass in person!

Andy01

Reaction score
You could dig into this a little further on setup. I know of three I/O 21 RC's in Havasu and all three are set up different.

Same could be said about a V-drive, some have a ballast tank in the bow and some don't. Different angle of the shaft and so on.

If I were to own a 21 RC it would be a V-drive twin turbo LS with one seat and a cooler. Open stringer boat with all the polished shit. And a 8 foot ski tow so it could double as a stripper pole at Foxes :)But I'm ten boats from owning that boat.

For use and turn key as stated the I/O really is a hard setup to beat.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I can give you the guys info so you can order one if you want. They're pretty badass in person!

I will tell her you said no, lol.
Once I have one in the barn , then I will get the info from ya. Thanks

Groper

Reaction score
I completely agree with the analogy of turn key vs the vdrive big power issues and fun factor.

More wondering if the ride of the hull is the same for either way a 21 RC is equipped. ??

[emoji41][emoji202]

No, after spending many years in both, an Outdrive and a V-Drive, to me both are very different Boats all together due to the center of gravity the V-Drive rides and handles better, when the water conditions change the V-Drive rules the playground.

milkmoney

Reaction score
No, after spending many years in both, an Outdrive and a V-Drive, to me both are very different Boats all together due to the center of gravity the V-Drive rides and handles better, when the water conditions change the V-Drive rules the playground.

Is the water conditions u speak of, mean rougher water ?
[emoji202]

tony

Reaction score
V-drive 21 RC's are unbelievably great handling boats for there size but if your boating on havasu and going on long cruises I think an IO would be a better choice.. A good 21 RC V-drive is really getting hard to find for less than 50-60k..

tony

Reaction score
Everyone I know who buys an old 50-60K Schiada ends up with a old 100K Schiada:smackhead
Very true! Or you buy 100k 21schiada and put another 10 or 20k to make it your own!!😜

tony

Reaction score
You could always call Lee and order it your way!
That's definatly an option. Atleast that way everything is fresh including the motor and it's the way you want it!

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
And they suck fuel and possibly good fuel. WMC got a taste of 1500 dollars in fuel for a weekend and decided that wasn't for him.

Can you clarify that a little bit?

$1500 in fuel for a two day blast? That's a lot of time with your foot on the floor with forced induction.

300-500 gallons of fuel in two days?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Race fuel is 9/10 a gallon.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Can you clarify that a little bit?

$1500 in fuel for a two day blast? That's a lot of time with your foot on the floor with forced induction.

300-500 gallons of fuel in two days?

the boat held 100gallons @ $5 a gallon AV gas $500 a day 3 day weekend $1500. it was nice, but fuck that shit and sold it before my wife knew how much it cost. It was fun while it lasted:)

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
the boat held 100gallons @ $5 a gallon AV gas $500 a day 3 day weekend $1500. it was nice, but fuck that shit and sold it before my wife knew how much it cost. It was fun while it lasted:)

Got it...

You still did a fair amount of blasting about at WOT suck down 300 gallons. That wasn't at 2500/3000 RPM cruising speed was it?

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Got it...

You still did a fair amount of blasting about at WOT suck down 300 gallons. That wasn't at 2500/3000 RPM cruising speed was it?
Yes alot of blast. It was 1100 HP 22ft and very thirsty

ImNOTGuy

Reaction score
Back to original question. Let's get real now. If you need to ask the question, which is better... then you just need to go with the I/O and cruise on your merry little way.

Your ad here

Reaction score
What is the minimum hp for a V drive setup in a 21'?

aaronschiada

Reaction score

im not sure what you're asking. there is no minimum or maximum. there is only...how much money do you want to spend, and is your boat setup for it....

BamBam

Reaction score

There were lots of 21's (and 22's) built in the past with Stock LS6 454's (or similar power) and they were set up accordingly to make the best use of the power they had. Today you're not going to see a new 21' built with stock power 'cause if you have enough money to even consider a new 21' Schiada you probably have enough money for big HP.