WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

21' Tunnel V-Drives, How many?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Okay gents,
Here's the question. How many 21' tunnel V-Drives do you know of that are still around today? I only know of two manufactures, Cougar and Eliminator. I've been asked this question many times over the years, and at one time I heard there were around 12 to 15 Cougars out there, and less than 10 Daytonas.

I'm asking because I happen to own one of the Cougars. (In case you hadn't already known.)

Thanks in advance,
Jed-O

welldigger00

Reaction score
I know a dude in running springs has one that needs to get running.

BamBam

Reaction score
Okay gents,
Here's the question. How many 21' tunnel V-Drives do you know of that are still around today? I only know of two manufactures, Cougar and Eliminator. I've been asked this question many times over the years, and at one time I heard there were around 12 to 15 Cougars out there, and less than 10 Daytonas.

I'm asking because I happen to own one of the Cougars. (In case you hadn't already known.)

Thanks in advance,
Jed-O

I can't really answer your question but I can say that Schiada built one. The boat didn't work and they took it apart, rigged it as an outboard and sold it (to their Lawyer I think). I saw the boat when I was in Parker this summer and I said something about that boat being the only v-drive Schiada tunnel.

farmo83

Reaction score
I know there is one Cougar in Central Texas. We ran into him at Lake Sommerville one time. Had a 572 and a 14-71 on it. I don't remember what gear he was running but I think it was up in the 50s. He took us for a ride and it was the quickest and fastest boat I've ever been in.

oldschool

Reaction score
There were a couple guys on the old Hotboat site that had them, not sure if they were or are on RDP. One was a 19' with a blown motor in Ok. and the other a 21' with a big turbo set up, back in Michigan I believe. I think they both were Cougars.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
The guy in Michigan is "Unchained" on PB. His is a Daytona.

thetub

Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;Isjdd7rnrbU]https://youtu.be/Isjdd7rnrbU[/video]

i think this is the turbo one

[video=youtube_https;4OKvX9tcS5E]https://youtu.be/4OKvX9tcS5E[/video]

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;Isjdd7rnrbU]https://youtu.be/Isjdd7rnrbU[/video]

i think this is the turbo one

[video=youtube_https;4OKvX9tcS5E]https://youtu.be/4OKvX9tcS5E[/video]
The first one looks like a 19' weird with only one plate on the center sponson. I'd bet it must chine walk like a mother fucker! The second video is Unchained' 21 Daytona, that thing is bat shit crazy!

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my transom KIMG1436.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
The first one looks like a 19' weird with only one plate on the center sponson. I'd bet it must chine walk like a mother fucker! The second video is Unchained' 21 Daytona, that thing is bat shit crazy!

What is your "shaft angle" ?

Where is your V-drive mounted (forward in inches from transom) ?

Where is your motor mounted ?

Thanks .

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I think Mouzer & Jockorace could answer the question.

I have only seen Cougars and Daytona's in 21'. In a 19' there are two models of Brendela's. One with a center pod (the safer one at high speed) :thumbsup:thumbsup and one without that has a very shallow tunnel (not so safe at high speed). :thumbsdown:thumbsdown

I am pretty sure I have seen a Centurion and a Cheyenne v-drive also.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
What is your "shaft angle" ?

Where is your V-drive mounted (forward in inches from transom) ?

Where is your motor mounted ?

Thanks .
10* split case Casale, 7* Bergeron shaft log, 22" from inside of the transom to the face of the 38" mount plate, and 98 1/2 "to the face of the V-drive plate.

AzGeo

Reaction score
I got the 98 1/2" v-drive plate, but the motor plate (timing cover end) is 22" or 38" from the transom ?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I'm sure Jocko could. I was hoping he would post on this, he and his dad know a lot about these. Not wondering about rarity as far as the the value. (not sure if I'd ever want to sell it) just would like to track a few other owners down, and see if they might be local or have better knowledge than I have gained in the last 12 years I've had mine.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I got the 98 1/2" v-drive plate, but the motor plate (timing cover end) is 22" or 38" from the transom ?
Timing cover end.
Sorry 3/8" mounting plate. Fuckin auto correct.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I'm sure Jocko could. I was hoping he would post on this, he and his dad know a lot about these. Not wondering about rarity as far as the the value. (not sure if I'd ever want to sell it) just would like to track a few other owners down, and see if they might be local or have better knowledge than I have gained in the last 12 years I've had mine.

I just messaged Jocko, Mouzer, and Racer Rick to comment. I don't know if Rick is on RDP though. Jocko is the Dad and LittleJockoCougar is the Son.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I just messaged Jocko, Mouzer, and Racer Rick to comment. I don't know if Rick is on RDP though.
Thanks buddy! I know Jocko's 19 was badass! Does he still have it?

AzGeo

Reaction score
light blue 19' Cougar with a 426 style Hemi in it ?

Played with it out at Needles one year .

MOUZER

Reaction score
v drive tunnels with no center pod are sketchy at high speed ..alot safer to have the center pod down the middle as roger that said..i just texted jocko and lil jocko man..

MOUZER

Reaction score
ive had the 19 ft cougar and a 19 brendella...im thinking about grabbing the other brendella thats out there less motor..racer rick owns one he know more about the handling then me mine was a 468 chevy fun fast and safe with no issues but ricks is bad ass blown..daytona and cougar are the best my 2 cents

AzGeo

Reaction score
That's the one!

It had a late style Hemi with a big padded box (like an interior piece) back a few years ago .

I had just sold a 20' openbow family boat to a guy and he raced that boat or one like it with a Hemi on squeeze.

The Cougar ran nice and smooth, but not fast enough ........

I'm interested in a 19' or 21' center pod style hull, like those shown here . Just want a cheap, bare hull to play with .

jockorace

Reaction score
That's the one!

That is my old Cougar! Sold it to Tom Vanderploeg and had been trying to buy it back for the past 5 years. I gave up and recently found another 19' cougar about a month ago. Currently building it ALL NEW to handle my big motor. Coincidentally.....that Kboat in the background was mine for a few years and THAT is the blower motor going into my new Cougar. Jocko

AzGeo

Reaction score
never had a Hemi with NOS, then it's not the same one .

I watched them run, and people standing near me said they all knew the owner of the boat, and it was squeezing .

Thanks .

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
That is my old Cougar! Sold it to Tom Vanderploeg and had been trying to buy it back for the past 5 years. I gave up and recently found another 19' cougar about a month ago. Currently building it ALL NEW to handle my big motor. Coincidentally.....that Kboat in the background was mine for a few years and THAT is the blower motor going into my new Cougar. Jocko
Jocko, any news on your build?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I saw a 21 Daytona years ago, it had no center pod, a true tunnel , and it was a v drive. It looked sweet, it’s got to be still runnng somewhere.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
output (11).jpg
output (10).jpg
This belongs to a friend. 1986 and it only has about 25 hours on it since it was new. The original power was a twin turbo 460. That was removed and the boat was sold less power in about 1994. It was put in a garage where it was stored until two years ago. My buddy bought it and put a 588 inch BBC in it with a glide. The gel coat is mint. The original seats look like brand new. Any V-Drive in New York State is kinda rare. This boat was about 80 miles from my house.

mcspeed.1

Reaction score
I have a 21 foot Firehawk tunnel.

Attachments

• 92 Eliminator JDX 2.jpg
    92 Eliminator JDX 2.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 246