WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

22 Daytona On The Beach

bonesfab

Reaction score
I just saw pic and thought an type fittings are a no on hydraulic ?
They can be used for it. The pressure isn't the issue for the fittings. The aluminum is the issue here. Fragola makes some nice 3-piece fittings that use the the teflon lined hose. We use them for fuel and power steering all the time. I have seen the same exact fitting break before supporting a fuel pressure regulator. Could have been real bad.

77charger

Reaction score
On RDP when it is a crappy boat involved in an incident it’s always the drivers fault.

When it’s a cool boat, it’s always something broke, something failed, a jet ski got in the way, a rogue wave 😂
Sad but true. I guess if you have money and first boat is custom your experienced from type of boat.

But then again we all will make a mistake too. I know I have once with purple stoker coming hot down river a large cat passed between us it’s wake came down and I was head on with stoker. I slowed and turned wrong way 🙈 but he slowed and corrected. Boated all my life I should have known better he kept going so I could never apologize this was like 10 years ago.

hallett21

Reaction score
First off glad no one died and they hit a nice sandy beach.

I’m a little confused. The boat has 2 rams with 2 lines each.

If you lose one line (not sure whether it broke in the water or upon impact), wouldn’t the other ram continue to hold pressure? Or at least enough for the steering to react a little? At least until the fluid left the helm.

My understanding is that a dual ram hydraulic helm/ram ties the “push/pull” to the opposite side. So if port pushes, starboard pulls. But shouldn’t the check valve in the helm keep it from just dumping the fluid?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
On RDP when it is a crappy boat involved in an incident it’s always the drivers fault.

When it’s a cool boat, it’s always something broke, something failed, a jet ski got in the way, a rogue wave 😂
Ya. NO! How many times have read more money than brains when a 100-200k boat ( driver) fucks up and it’s destroyed. Too many times to count.

And has been said above. Price doesn’t matter. We’ve all fucked up or done stupiD shit while boating. Most of us learn though. Some never will😱🤷

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
First off glad no one died and they hit a nice sandy beach.

I’m a little confused. The boat has 2 rams with 2 lines each.

If you lose one line (not sure whether it broke in the water or upon impact), wouldn’t the other ram continue to hold pressure? Or at least enough for the steering to react a little? At least until the fluid left the helm.

My understanding is that a dual ram hydraulic helm/ram ties the “push/pull” to the opposite side. So if port pushes, starboard pulls. But shouldn’t the check valve in the helm keep it from just dumping the fluid?

Rams are daisy chained, there is no check valve either.

hallett21

Reaction score
Rams are daisy chained, there is no check valve either.
So the helms are different than Sea Star ones? I know those have a check valve. I’m just trying to visualize how they work with no check valve.

I have the problem you stated about air in the line if I let the boat sit for too long. But I assumed the check valves let the air bleed out. Otherwise wouldn’t you just continually push fluid/air back and forth?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
So the helms are different than Sea Star ones? I know those have a check valve. I’m just trying to visualize how they work with no check valve.

I have the problem you stated about air in the line if I let the boat sit for too long. But I assumed the check valves let the air bleed out. Otherwise wouldn’t you just continually push fluid/air back and forth?

I mean in between the rams. It’s hose from ram to ram.

ChrisV

Reaction score

Not sure if this helps. One line break you’ll lose all pressure. It’s in one system.
2A8DB3A2-1070-45AB-9F48-16F1B5FFCC4E.jpeg
09F30429-5C7F-4637-8187-FE821A27A159.jpeg

hallett21

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps. One line break you’ll lose all pressure. It’s in one system. View attachment 1238681 View attachment 1238682
But shouldn’t the fluid stay in a neutral state unless you add steering input? Since both motors counteract each other’s steering torque.

And maybe I’m an idiot lol. But if you’re running straight the system should be relatively balanced. Let’s say you cut one of the lines and start steering left (can be right doesn’t matter) won’t the helm start pushing fluid in one direction while drawing from the opposite side? Doesn’t the helm reservoir have enough fluid to keep pushing for a few turns? The helm does have a check valve…. It has to right?

Edit. Whatever hose you cut kills one motors push and the opposites pull. So shouldn’t the other ram be able to fight it (I’m sure the wheel will be really heavy).

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I just want to make a comment about maritime law, that has little to do with this thread, but I know you guys should know, so you don’t make a boating mistake even worse…….

Here it is. I hope I do it justice, since I am going off my memory, and not looking it up or googling it.

When a boating collision is eminent, Meaning extremely likely, normal boating rules no longer applies. What this means is that you are allowed, if you have to, do whatever it takes to avoid the collision, even if that means going starboard to starboard or any other collision avoidance you need to do. Running your boat up on the beach to avoid a collision would fall into that category.

Stupid boaters can easily make experienced boaters make quick decisions. Or choose the lesser of two evils.

This does not absolve you of responsibility, but it does give a point to argue, that is backed up by maritime law. Each circumstance will be different.

A common scenario is 2 boats heading at each other. Beginner boater does not know rules, and you can start to tell that he wants to go starboard to starboard with you on narrow waterway. The experienced boater will most likely try to maintain the port to port pass. At some point, you are going to have to decided if you want to maintain the eminent collision? Or are you at some point, crank your wheel, and possibly still collided, but at least give yourself a chance to avoid collision. If that is the decision, maritime law supports your position. You only turned starboard to starboard to avoid eminent collision. If it weren’t for that, you never would have considered it. So in other words, this is not a car crash. You won’t be penalized for doing what you were forced to do.

If you are going at a speed unsafe for conditions, the above will not absolve you. You have now earned a percentage of fault right there, regardless of whatever beginner boater did. That’s another aspect of maritime law that affects a lot of you guys. Your high speed will almost always be a contributing factor of any accident. Most boating accidents have an assigned percentage of fault. You would be surprised that most boating accidents, have percentage of fault assigned to both parties. Even when It completely looks like one party is at fault.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I heard a case this last weekend @C-Ya . Jet ski invasion in Parker caused a lot of close calls. But I also had a boat going up river on opposite side get mad at me.

My River neighbor years ago hit a jetski going wrong way. They came off plane and in neutral before the collision. They lost the case cause the lawyer pointed out that they did not do everything possible to avoid the collision. He claimed they should of put there boat on the rocks to avoid it. Maritime law I guess you have to do everything possible to avoid the collision. There insurance paid out a hefty sum. Although the ski was going wrong direction and ran straight into them while not looking.

Reactions: DWC

PlanB

Reaction score
With hydraulic steering, which I assume this has...if a line blows do you have zero steering control?
I lost a line on our Top Gun and had zero steering. Luckily we were at idle and i was able to use the motors to steer the boat.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I heard a case this last weekend @C-Ya . Jet ski invasion in Parker caused a lot of close calls. But I also had a boat going up river on opposite side get mad at me.

My River neighbor years ago hit a jetski going wrong way. They came off plane and in neutral before the collision. They lost the case cause the lawyer pointed out that they did not do everything possible to avoid the collision. He claimed they should of put there boat on the rocks to avoid it. Maritime law I guess you have to do everything possible to avoid the collision. There insurance paid out a hefty sum. Although the ski was going wrong direction and ran straight into them while not looking.
This very thing happened to Ray on A Row many years ago. I suspect that's who your talking about? If not the outcome for him was the same. Didn't do enough.
Fortunately he was insured. I won't boat without insurance.

When they mean everything possible that means you get to risk your life and everyone in the boat to avoid the crash. It's a thing, us partners discuss it every once in a while.

c_land

Reaction score
There were some pics of this boat being loaded on a flatbed a while back with some speculation it may be scrapped.

Looks like that could be the case unless there’s a new trailer coming.

151A72F4-6957-406E-AA61-FC128DCEAA46.jpeg