WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

23 kryptonite

Captbill

Reaction score
Wrapped a side panel tonight. The black material is HDPE, from a local box store. I located all the t-nuts, held the panel in the boat, and drilled the holes through both the panel, and the boat at the same time. Went and bashed the t-nuts in with a 3 lb. hammer, then covered the panel with 1/2" high density foam, then a layer of 1/4" foam with a skrim, then wrapped it with marine vinyl. All the layers have 3m high strength 90 contact cement.

View attachment 665757 View attachment 665758 View attachment 665759
HDPE Panels? Where did you buy from,Lowes?

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Theres a chain of stores here in the midwest called Menards. Similar to a lowes or home depot. Yep high density polyethylene.
Its 1/4" thick. 4x8 sheets were around 50 bucks. Holds staples really well, and the 3m spray adhesive held awesome too. I used it to glue the foam to the hdpe, then the vinyl to the foam.

Captbill

Reaction score
Thought I would talk to you here to keep your thread alive! You used a Simrad go9 ? Did you use the basemap model? I am planning a new dash layout myself and tossing up the idea of going with the mercury vessel view or a Simrad go9 plotter. So far I am leaning towards a Simrad due to it having a built in gps receiver. Both units are made by the same company and the simrad has a mercury dash layout in the menu, As well as Evinrude and Suzuki I believe. I will also be going with a Fusion Black box stereo or one of the similar brands out there that is NMEA 2000 compliant to be able to use display on simrad to control it.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Headless Hula,

Thanks so much for doing this build. On the first page I wasn't sure if I loved your boat, by the end I'm obsessed with your boat. You have done amazing work. Are you going to cover your seat pedestals? I feel like that would be a crime against art. They look amazing. I can't wait to see your boat with the 400R hanging off the back.

Interesting post script to this story. I too am from Wisconsin, and it was funny to see John and Gina in there. I graduated HS with her.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Headless Hula,

Thanks so much for doing this build. On the first page I wasn't sure if I loved your boat, by the end I'm obsessed with your boat. You have done amazing work. Are you going to cover your seat pedestals? I feel like that would be a crime against art. They look amazing. I can't wait to see your boat with the 400R hanging off the back.

Interesting post script to this story. I too am from Wisconsin, and it was funny to see John and Gina in there. I graduated HS with her.

Thanks man.

Westfield huh?

Headless hula

Reaction score
Pulling the vinyl and foam so I can trace the hdpe panel. Because the shifter is moving locations I have to replace it.
No biggie. Maybe a 100 bucks worth of material.
20181117_135223.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Here's the pic of the label we talked about.
20181117_142140.jpg

For the record, I did NOT follow their installation instructions. My t nuts are deeper than the panel thickness and I drilled the corresponding holes into the boat the right diameter for the od of the t nut. They are spaced close enough that there isnt any way for the panel to move at all. Fuker is bolted tight and doenst move. I didnt have any issues with buckling.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Working on getting a new center cap machined for this wheel.
20181118_172315.jpg
20181119_130823.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Decided its finally time for a proper set of soft jaws on one of my vices.
20181119_185650.jpg

The cheater angle peices are getting irritating. They always fall out at the most inopportune times.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Working on cleaning up the bilge.
28684.jpeg

Hard to tell, but I'm running the bilge discharge hose through the stringer and out to just above the chine. It, along with the power steering pump, lines, battery cables, everything will be concealed behind an upholstered panel that I will build shortly.
28228.jpeg

In the above pic, you can see where I'm mocking up the power steering unit. The fuel filter will live up there also. Going to tab in a small shelf.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Did you discard this panel yet? whats the chances of making a paper template? or cutting it up small enough to mail it I can tape it back together as a tracer! Are right and left the same? Mine are not full height.
Shit dooode, I'll send it to ya. I didn't toss it.

As far as that goes, you can have the hdpe panel too. Wish I didn't have to take it apart. It would have bolted right in....

Last edited:

Captbill

Reaction score
Here in New York on Long Island There have been quite a few Offshore boats developed and have Champion bloodlines!
Our Waters are unique due to the geography, very shallow in areas and quite a few other anomolies that cant be explained, Sandbars that move and create new ocean inlets to shallow flats that create 6"-1' chop that allows the right setup to run triple digits. Some of the brands are superboat, Activator, Shadow, Challenger, Tuff (21 superboat copy built in Canada), Red line and Rally sport and intimidator (more copies). There are probably another dozen I have left out but do exist. Early 2000's a Gentleman named Kirk developed Kryptonite, A product built with some of the best techniques in the business using a 21 superboat as a base design stretching it out to 27 feet and much taller with a look all its own. After dialing in the 27 and proving it on the race course he came up with a 29 foot model by adding an integrated swim platform with a whole new deck. Shortly after that they came up with a 23 foot model by grafting together the best sections of the front and rear of the hull leaving the cabin and deck of a 27 footer. I am told there was about 10-12 23 footers built. Unfortunately the economy supports the development of any pleasurecraft and it put a halt on this one sometime in the late 2000s. Superboat here on long island has acquired the larger hull molds and Predator boats here on long island has the 23 foot molds and has a 23 foot center console for sale now.
This hull design was used by lake X, Mercury testing grounds to develop the first V-6 mercury outboard and the over the hub Chopper prop back in the mid 70s.
I am attaching a flyer used by a dealer here on long island to sell these boats.
During a search to see if there were any of these boats being sold or worked on I came across this post here on River Daves and have since been in close contact with Sean (headless hula).
I am the owner of the 23 sport deck in the flyer.
They also built one 39 foot boat but that is a boat based on a different design.

Attachments

• 2018-12-01 13.41.42.jpg
    2018-12-01 13.41.42.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 2018-12-02 11.55.32.jpg
    2018-12-02 11.55.32.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 2018-12-02 11.55.45.jpg
    2018-12-02 11.55.45.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 2018-12-02 11.56.07.jpg
    2018-12-02 11.56.07.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 360

Headless hula

Reaction score
31975.jpeg
31994.jpeg

Got the bracket removed. In the process, the outer glass delaminatated from the plywood transom. :(:(

32294.jpeg

Guess who's installing a new one.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Theres a sharpie mark on the yellow tape marking the edge of where the panel will be. All the rigging will be behind it. View attachment 704368
You’re a real fart smeller but are you sure you want all that wire going all the way down in the bilge like that, seems that it’s increasing the chance of bad by ten fold!!!

Headless hula

Reaction score
You’re a real fart smeller but are you sure you want all that wire going all the way down in the bilge like that, seems that it’s increasing the chance of bad by ten fold!!!
Keep reading. The whole program just changed. I'll lay a proper rigging tube in that space before I reinstall the floor.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Keep reading. The whole program just changed. I'll lay a proper rigging tube in that space before I reinstall the floor.
As you guys are real weird in cheese country, what about running pvc or something similar through the holes from the stringer and up to the flat of the transom upper floor. Basically sealing that run from A to B ya feel what I’m swimming in?
Hahaha maybe ..... or i can refresh the post to see what you wrote while i was writing.

Texting, posting and working this botch like a four legged monkey on Prozac :p

Headless hula

Reaction score
Transom sure didnt put up much of a fight. Basically reinforces my line of thought. It didn't have a very good bond.
20181209_214417.jpg
20181209_214428.jpg

I've got a little clean up around that stringer. Then grind it all back. The new 3/4 fir marine ply is already here. Plan on getting an order from express composites tomorrow morning. I'll have the glass and resin by Tuesday. :)

GregG

Reaction score
You going to beef that transom up while you are in there I assume?

Headless hula

Reaction score
You going to beef that transom up while you are in there I assume?
I subscribe to a different train thought on this subject. In other words no. I have been shown that knees are a huge point load, and there isnt an adequate means of making the connection. When I purchased this boat, there were already stress cracks in the gel above the original knees. This is before I even ran it at all. The previous owner had very little time running it. Its getting a very specific layup in a 3 layer transom, and itll get significant tabbing once its installed.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Just placed my order with express composites. I'll have it tomorrow:)

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, but damn this is painful to see. :( But given your skill set, I know it will prove worthwhile and much improved going forward.
Curious, did the boat previously run an outdrive as the transom cut-out and holes would suggest ?

Headless hula

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, but damn this is painful to see. :( But given your skill set, I know it will prove worthwhile and much improved going forward.
Curious, did the boat previously run an outdrive as the transom cut-out and holes would suggest ?
The way I understand it, they were originally set up to run with 502's. When this boat was built, they cut the keyhole in anticipation of the bravo, and bigblock set up. The boat wound up getting sold to the guy I purchased it from, and he had the keyhole filled, and hung the outboard on the bracket. When he bought it, there was no rigging. It was the hull, and interior.

RichL

Reaction score
This brings back memories of my old days in the field of FG product production and eventually FG repair. Definitely don't miss those days.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

Headless hula

Reaction score
This brings back memories of my old days in the field of FG product production and eventually FG repair. Definitely don't miss those days.

Have fun. :rolleyes:
I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. ;)

I own a breathable air compressor and the related hose and mask. A tyvek suit and some nitrile gloves make for a fairly comfortable glass grinding experience.
15444684320097684956061643548143.jpg
20181210_123429.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Token grinding pics.
20181210_134415.jpg
20181210_134420.jpg

Working to get the gel off. Got the tiny knee zipped off too.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Little 4" grinder is so hot a can hardly hang on to it. I think in its death throes. View attachment 708646
Foookin hot!
Yeah, that glass dust just kills grinders. Although ive had GREAT luck with the harbor freight 4-1/2" grinders. And,i mean like years of abuse out of a single one.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Headless hula

Reaction score
Yeah, that glass dust just kills grinders. Although ive had GREAT luck with the harbor freight 4-1/2" grinders. And,i mean like years of abuse out of a single one.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
For the amount of abuse I put these $80 milwaukee's through, I'm not upset about it. When I built the box for the frankenford it got pretty hot too....
When you set it down and smoke starts pouring out of it,,,.... it's time left is limited.:p:p

RichL

Reaction score
For the amount of abuse I put these $80 milwaukee's through, I'm not upset about it. When I built the box for the frankenford it got pretty hot too....
When you set it down and smoke starts pouring out of it,,,.... it's time left is limited.:p:p

Ya think? :D

Singleton

Reaction score

That is when you order a new one so when it does die you have it’s backup ready to go

Headless hula

Reaction score
That is when you order a new one so when it does die you have it’s backup ready to go
I keep 3 layin around bud. :p:p:p

I knew this one had limited smoke remaining. The reservoir was already pretty low. ...

Headless hula

Reaction score
RC boat mold.... hmmmm
Actually a scale model of an old baja race boat. Dean Reynolds gave it to me. (He used to run baja back in the day, now is at checkmate. He built the model.