WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

23 kryptonite

H2O

Reaction score
I'm running this motor for this year. It's getting a 400R and a jackplate next season. The transom will not support it in its current form. This will be a 2 year build project. I'm rigging it the way I want it to be when it's finished, in as much as electronics, helm location, seating arrangements, etc.
This winter will see a proper transom and the deletion of this ridiculous setback bracket.

I read reports of these boats cracking 80 mph with a 300x, so a 400r is going to be a ripper!

I guess some people like the stainless marine set brackets because it gives you kind of a mini swim step, and super handy if you ever have to pull the cowl. Having said that, I'd probably want a hydraulic jack plate on any high-perf outboard rig.

Going to be very interesting to see how she runs.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
20180505_080600.jpg

Saturday tech tip.
You'll need a vessel view link if you're going to use a simrad or other nmea2k device to display engine data. Also need a nmea2k backbone.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I read reports of these boats cracking 80 mph with a 300x, so a 400r is going to be a ripper!

I guess some people like the stainless marine set brackets because it gives you kind of a mini swim step, and super handy if you ever have to pull the cowl. Having said that, I'd probably want a hydraulic jack plate on any high-perf outboard rig.

Going to be very interesting to see how she runs.
I agree about the swim step. I'll probably wind up building a pair of small ones that utilize the existing holes to make rear boarding easier once it gets the new power. The quality of the stainless marine setback bracket seems to be very good! I believe that this bracket is so big, to facilitate the use of the 20" mid on the existing 250xs. It's what the previous owner had when he had the boat rigged, so they made it work so to speak. I'm pretty sure a 25" mid will work just fine, without having to have a 26" setback.

Headless hula

Reaction score
20180506_181848.jpg
20180506_181839.jpg
Started cutting open some storage areas below deck. Pretty happy to see it's gelcoated.

Last edited:

Headless hula

Reaction score
20180506_185701.jpg

I just welded up a frame to trim out the hole. It'll cover the carpet, and the edge of the plywood. I'll seal the cut edges of the wood with some resin before I mount it permanently. That's a piece of brass under the aluminum frame. I use it as a heat sink on thinner aluminum .

Headless hula

Reaction score
20180506_202406.jpg

Getting seat base parts cut to size.

Headless hula

Reaction score
31872.jpeg

Making my list. It keeps growing. Lol...

Headless hula

Reaction score
Managed to cut the helm panel to size, and make the opening for the simrad go9. :)

20180601_131714.jpg

GregG

Reaction score
I like the white board punch list set up.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Going to fill in the original holes. I'll use a small amount of fiberglass filler to hold the pieces in so I can overlay the whole thing with some biax. Going to do both sides. I want this nice, not slapped together.
20180602_140830.jpg

I'll use the pieces I cut out to make plugs for the old holes.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Damn dude this thing is coming out killer already, but can we saw ADD lol bilge, motor, helm, fenders, helm, wheels ...... all over the place. But that’s what makes it the best as i know as an extreme ADHD myself lol.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Damn dude this thing is coming out killer already, but can we saw ADD lol bilge, motor, helm, fenders, helm, wheels ...... all over the place. But that’s what makes it the best as i know as an extreme ADHD myself lol.

I bounce all over the place, because I need to what I'll need for parts. Lots of things to get mocked up, to get sent out for paint ,etc. I'm still working out the details of how I want to put things together. I need time to decide how to do it. So while I'm grinding/doing something else, I can think about the other things.
The fenders and tires only were put on to double check fitment etc. The shitty galvanized wheels are back on it now. I'm thinking about how I want to run the wires for the new tail lights, how i can incorporatea step behind the fender, etc.
There are 1000 little details that I'm sorting out, and I work on something till I need parts, or haven't decided how I want something done.

:)

Thanks for coming to the circus.

Backlash

Reaction score
Brother I cant believe I didn't stumble into this thread sooner!!! Badass project for sure!!!! A lot of good information here thank you for sharing!

Have you talked to any of the guys at Kryptonite or any of the other large outboard hot rod shops on the east coast? They might be able to shed some light on how the boat handles with different setbacks, etc. Again, thank you for steering me over here. I'll be checking in on a regular basis and picking your brain whe ever I can! :D

Headless hula

Reaction score
While these cure, I'll work on my seat bases.
20180602_152908.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Brother I cant believe I didn't stumble into this thread sooner!!! Badass project for sure!!!! A lot of good information here thank you for sharing!

Have you talked to any of the guys at Kryptonite or any of the other large outboard hot rod shops on the east coast? They might be able to shed some light on how the boat handles with different setbacks, etc. Again, thank you for steering me over here. I'll be checking in on a regular basis and picking your brain whe ever I can! :D
I've spoken to the owner/builder. There were less than maybe 20 of these built?
I've also spoken with 2 other guys who own this hull. 1 guy from jersey, that raced his offshore last year, and won his class. The other boat is a cut down version with approximately 8" removed from the freeboard area. Apparently the other owners aren't online, as I scoured the interwebs before making this purchase. I've found out that the guy did a helluva job laying this up. All the wood is oukoomi (sp) it's completely tabbed together where the deck and hull come together. The interior "freeboard" sections are all tabbed as well. This is a very solid boat. I only tore it apart because I didn't care for analog gauges, the helm had to move a couple inches over and down, don't like carpet, etc... you've read the thread. Lolol...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
While these cure, I'll work on my seat bases. View attachment 650953
Speaking of seat bases....... i just read the seat base thread over in the Schiada area.

I’d just run or build a harness. When i rewired my trailer this winter i just laid it all out on the floor on each side of the trailer then ran the side pig tails wayyy long then stripped the insulation off the main wire and soldered then used some new sba heat shrink i found from a local supplier that has some like liquid glue for water sealing. Then started at rear of trailer just cut all the ends and pulled the Barnes from rear to front so that all the solder and heat shrink ends would be trailing and couldn’t snag. Then once it was all pulled used a pick to pull the pigtails out at each location then cut to length solder to light plug and heat shrink. I can’t imagine having to worry about it for at least 10-15 years now.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Wetted out on the cardboard, then applied. Helps keep it less of a mess.
20180602_180725.jpg
20180602_182401.jpg

I took some of the extra resin and coated the edges of the cutouts I made below deck.

Headless hula

Reaction score
20180602_183625.jpg

So, it doesn't look like much, but the vise wasn't on the mill yesterday. So got that dialed in, then used an edge finder an got the table setup so that it's centered on the part, front to back. Then clamped that wedge clamp deal to use as a stop. I have 4 of these to drill holes in, and didn't want to have to re setup everytime I finished one. I did this while the marglass was curing on those plugs I cut for the dash.

Last edited:

Headless hula

Reaction score
It ain't all sunshine and roses. :eek:

20180603_064232.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Finished installing the storage compartment frame.
20180603_080737.jpg
20180603_080744.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
One of the things I immediately wanted to change upon driving the boat was the position of the front seats. It felt like you sat "on" the boat, vs sitting "in" it. That's why I built the new bases. They're reclined a touch, and an inch lower. Wind will be over my head now, instead of hitting me in the forehead.
32363.jpeg
32364.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
One of the things I immediately wanted to change upon driving the boat was the position of the front seats. It felt like you sat "on" the boat, vs sitting "in" it. That's why I built the new bases. They're reclined a touch, and an inch lower. Wind will be over my head now, instead of hitting me in the forehead. View attachment 651219 View attachment 651220

Those seat bases are way bad ass specially as you’ll be able to say you built yourself, but... was the time material etc really vs just buying from Dana/MWI or Eddie marine

Headless hula

Reaction score
Those seat bases are way bad ass specially as you’ll be able to say you built yourself, but... was the time material etc really vs just buying from Dana/MWI or Eddie marine
Aluminum from my local source is 2 bucks per pound. Considering Dana/eddy marine do not offer a "angled" version....

You can't go buy what I built. You'd have to have it made. ;)
My time is free to me.
Did you follow the screw it I'll eat crow thread? I build everything myself. :)

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
No i did look at it a few times maybe i need to go through it.

Headless hula

Reaction score
20180606_183116.jpg
20180606_211453.jpg

Time for more glass work. I laid a panel up on my table. It's to slip inside the seat cushion, under the foam. It will span the opening I cut out in that storage area. Also laid glass on the top of the hatch.it had a small cup in the top, so I propped it up from underneath, and put that lumber on it to hold it straight.

Headless hula

Reaction score
33566.jpeg

More work on the hatch. Biax on both sides. Braces marglassed and filleted. Took the balance of the resin with spheres and used it as a filler/skim coat to help smooth out the biax. It's getting sanded smooth, and sprayed with duratec top coat.

I'm waiting for the resin to kick off, so I can cut the tabbing to fit, and glass that in.