WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

23 kryptonite

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Getting better at gauging how much resin I need, vs how much glass I'm putting down. Little different than makin all the batches for the eliminator layups. Lol..
20180701_222957.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Squirted some gel this am. Kicked off really well in this heatwave we're having.
Hit the orange peel with some 120 and promptly sanded right through. :p

I just cleaned it all up and sprayed it again. :cool:
7163.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Omg amazing work dude, so will the floor be getting a gatorstep/seadeck type cover or did you add something to make nonskid and leave it just gel? I cannot cannot imagine hiding all that work under carpeting!

Headless hula

Reaction score
Omg amazing work dude, so will the floor be getting a gatorstep/seadeck type cover or did you add something to make nonskid and leave it just gel? I cannot cannot imagine hiding all that work under carpeting!
I'll have either a snap in carpet made, or a snap in seadek material. Haven't decided yet.

Thanks. Glad to see you pulled back the reins on your project. ;)

Go run the damn thing and quit workin on it. Lolol...

Headless hula

Reaction score
Stuck here waiting on materials to show up. Specifically some foam to line the side panels I made. In the mean time, I've got all the electrical to get made and installed.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I'll have either a snap in carpet made, or a snap in seadek material. Haven't decided yet.

Thanks. Glad to see you pulled back the reins on your project. ;)

Go run the damn thing and quit workin on it. Lolol...

Mama is out by you right now so it gave me a few weeks to do a few things, bad part is mama has been gone almost a month already and i took it out once for maybe half an hour after getting the steering complete.

I had the chance to really look at the Gatorstep today and all i can say is W0W i want it bad! Almost bad enough to send my boat to you ;) to have you do my floors like that so i can do the whole floor in it. On their website you can order samples for 5$ May be worth it, as well carpet just doesn’t compare at all whatsoever.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Stuck here waiting on materials to show up. Specifically some foam to line the side panels I made. In the mean time, I've got all the electrical to get made and installed.

Damn if you weren’t so freaking far I’d be all over some trade, I’d wire that bitch in a few days, while you did well who knows what on mine :p:p you know foam will add weight to the boat hahaha, with your skills a set of interior side pods like mine would be stellar

Headless hula

Reaction score
Damn if you weren’t so freaking far I’d be all over some trade, I’d wire that bitch in a few days, while you did well who knows what on mine :p:p you know foam will add weight to the boat hahaha, with your skills a set of interior side pods like mine would be stellar
I'll have it all wired tomorrow. Lmao...
I have my connectors now. Itll be all metripac/Packard style. :)
Thanks again man.

We wired up the stereo a couple weeks ago, and played with different mounting angles, etc. Honestly, square sounded the best in this particular boat. Had both front seats in it too.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I've only got 1 hole to drill to get all the port side wires from the starboard. They'll all run under the opening to the cabin. The bulkhead below that opening is 6-8" back from the edge of the floor so everything will tuck under there no problem. I was just actually laying out my fuse blocks, and getting it all sorted for tomorrow morning. I already have the 14pin and steering hoses pulled from the helmet to the rigging tube.
15310246335423608836285098332853.jpg
15310247198045858135393351594443.jpg

There's a bunch of odds and ends to fab up. Need a couple little brackets for the key switch, hatch ram switch, etc. All that shit will be hidden under the dash.
I've got some .063 aluminum sheet stock here. Quick work with the vise and a file..

Headless hula

Reaction score
Btw. I got all this stuff done without setting foot inside. All off a 4' stepladder. Gel is kicked, and setup hard, but geez.... let's give it overnight to cure a little. :p:p

Headless hula

Reaction score
Still out here messin around. Threw the oil tank and bilge pump back in. Finish sanded the helm panel, wiped it clean with MEK, then a couple coats of matte clear.

Sorting out all the bullshit. Lolol...
20180708_012340.jpg
20180708_012329.jpg
20180708_012303.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Gotta throw connectors on the fuel sender and bilge pump. Everything will have plug in connectors.

J.P.

Reaction score
I like the way you sprayed the white gelcoat,..looking good. Well everything you have done on this project is looking right..

Headless hula

Reaction score
Lit up a coaming.. wrapped the glassed in wood with 1/4" scrim covered foam, then a chunk of vinyl.
20180711_231959.jpg

Didn't get too carried away with the trimming, or the adhesive.

Kind of a mock up deal...
;)

Headless hula

Reaction score
8123.jpeg
Working on my bench seat. It was 3 separate pieces, and 2 different sizes. This hatch/doghouse combo sure makes for a jacked up interior. I wind up having to have it redone professionally. My vinyl skills aren't up to the standards that I'd like this to be when its completed.
8123.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Well you've put on an impressive show so far. :)
Now I'm watching thinking, Holy Shit, this guy does upholstery too ? :p
I feel just a smidgen less incapable knowing there's maybe one thing you need a little help with, LOL :D
Thanks for sharing --- again!!
Between the road trips, Iceland, foam blowing, good eats and Sweetie Pie, and now the 2nd boat project, Dave should give you a raise sir ;)
Have a great weekend
thumbs up.png

Headless hula

Reaction score
Well you've put on an impressive show so far. :)
Now I'm watching thinking, Holy Shit, this guy does upholstery too ? :p
I feel just a smidgen less incapable knowing there's maybe one thing you need a little help with, LOL :D
Thanks for sharing --- again!!
Between the road trips, Iceland, foam blowing, good eats and Sweetie Pie, and now the 2nd boat project, Dave should give you a raise sir ;)
Have a great weekend View attachment 664049
With all your retired time on your hands, maybe a trip to cheeseland is in order...

There's room for you and the Mrs....

Jussayin..........

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
You and @02HoWaRd26 sure do make me wish I had my own space to store and work on my own shit. You are killing it on this thing!

Why did you choose you do the aluminum (or steel) back plate for the simrad and steering, etc versus just cutting into the dash itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headless hula

Reaction score
You and @02HoWaRd26 sure do make me wish I had my own space to store and work on my own shit. You are killing it on this thing!

Why did you choose you do the aluminum (or steel) back plate for the simrad and steering, etc versus just cutting into the dash itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont have the patience to have to match the white gel, I like the look of the aluminum, its difficult to get the switches mounted solidly in a 1" thick chunk of dash, vs the much thinner aluminum...

I moved the location of the helm to allow enough space to mount the simrad, so has to patch holes.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Finishing touches on seat bases. Had to drill the mounting holes.
20180715_125126.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score

Headless hula

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but this is all temporary. This winter I'm tearing the transom outta this thing.

Headless hula

Reaction score
OMFG your beyond messed up in the head!!!!
It's only 2 layers of 3/4. The setback bracket is going away, which is honestly giving this transom a tremendous amount of support/spreading the load.
Itll have a Bob's jackplate, and no additional setback. I'm only making it run able for this season. ;)

Headless hula

Reaction score
Just working on getting things layed out. A couple of zippy ties to get the idea of where I want things.
15318042655078222896394402792620.jpg

GregG

Reaction score
Here is how I did a new transom on one of mine ............

Attachments

• Knees2.jpg
    Knees2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 199

Taboma

Reaction score
Finished sanding the seat bases. Wiped down, and clear coated with matte. View attachment 664434 View attachment 664435

When I view this style of seat base, which I realize is rather popular and utilized in a few tunnels (And perhaps vees as well ?), my first thought is always lateral shear as there's no diagonal bracing.
My thought is largely motivated by my own experience running my deep Vee off Newport Beach in the ocean many years ago.
My rig had an adjustable pedestal seat and as such were a bit taller than your set up. But caught a wave wrong during a turn, boat jumped sideways off one wave, landing hard into the face of the next. Before I could blink I was on the floor, wheel still in my hand so I was able to right myself quickly and bring things under control.
Had torn all the SS lags right out of the floor, not through bolted as you intend. But in your design the highest load isn't base to floor, it's at the top and bottom of your vertical pieces where they attach to the plates.
It appears you've got five bolts top and bottom for each vertical, are these 1/4" or 5/16" ? I can't tell.
When choosing a bolt grade for this application, do you pick soft for slightly more elasticity or hard for higher shear ?
Not being critical, it's just a question I'm drawn to whenever I see this design of seat base.

The other question I've been wanting to ask. At the front edge of your aft bilge area there's a robust block that separates it from a center bilge area (Fuel tank perhaps ?). I don't see any drain, yet there's an obvious gap at the top, so the two compartments aren't sealed off. A 2nd bilge pump ? I just it odd there was no drain hole. Unless they're trying to keep water out of that mid-compartment ?

Anyway, sure enjoying your build and hopefully after my somewhat younger "Still working" wife retires in a couple of years, we can make the trip to cheese land. This style of boat has always been a favorite of mine ever since I had my baby deep-vee in the late 60's, early 70's.
thumbs up.png

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My God man!! How many engines did you plan on bolting onto that sumbitch? Just a wee bit o' overkill. Lol!

Or did you do this and run thinner ply on the transom itself?
Here is how I did a new transom on one of mine ............

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Headless hula

Reaction score
When I view this style of seat base, which I realize is rather popular and utilized in a few tunnels (And perhaps vees as well ?), my first thought is always lateral shear as there's no diagonal bracing.
My thought is largely motivated by my own experience running my deep Vee off Newport Beach in the ocean many years ago.
My rig had an adjustable pedestal seat and as such were a bit taller than your set up. But caught a wave wrong during a turn, boat jumped sideways off one wave, landing hard into the face of the next. Before I could blink I was on the floor, wheel still in my hand so I was able to right myself quickly and bring things under control.
Had torn all the SS lags right out of the floor, not through bolted as you intend. But in your design the highest load isn't base to floor, it's at the top and bottom of your vertical pieces where they attach to the plates.
It appears you've got five bolts top and bottom for each vertical, are these 1/4" or 5/16" ? I can't tell.
When choosing a bolt grade for this application, do you pick soft for slightly more elasticity or hard for higher shear ?
Not being critical, it's just a question I'm drawn to whenever I see this design of seat base.

The other question I've been wanting to ask. At the front edge of your aft bilge area there's a robust block that separates it from a center bilge area (Fuel tank perhaps ?). I don't see any drain, yet there's an obvious gap at the top, so the two compartments aren't sealed off. A 2nd bilge pump ? I just it odd there was no drain hole. Unless they're trying to keep water out of that mid-compartment ?

Anyway, sure enjoying your build and hopefully after my somewhat younger "Still working" wife retires in a couple of years, we can make the trip to cheese land. This style of boat has always been a favorite of mine ever since I had my baby deep-vee in the late 60's, early 70's. View attachment 664880
To answer the bilge drain question, there's a false floor that starts at the rear of the fuel tank and ends 7-8" ahead of the transom. It drains from the bow, all the way back. Here's a better pic showing the area.
15319487238482365268297468052011.jpg

As far as the seat base question....

1/4-20 bolts, and whatever the hardware store sold. I understand what you're saying about the side, or lateral load. By thru bolting with 5/16 into backing plates under the floor, I hope the clamping pressure will do a good enough job.
If not, back to the drawing board/ milling machine. I'm obviously not an engineer. Just winging this shit!
:)

Thanks for following along sir!

Taboma

Reaction score
To answer the bilge drain question, there's a false floor that starts at the rear of the fuel tank and ends 7-8" ahead of the transom. It drains from the bow, all the way back. Here's a better pic showing the area. View attachment 665299

As far as the seat base question....

1/4-20 bolts, and whatever the hardware store sold. I understand what you're saying about the side, or lateral load. By thru bolting with 5/16 into backing plates under the floor, I hope the clamping pressure will do a good enough job.
If not, back to the drawing board/ milling machine. I'm obviously not an engineer. Just winging this shit!
:)

Thanks for following along sir!

Ahhh, hadn't noticed the sub-floor, of course now that you've pointed it out --- Duh :confused: I'd like to retract that question, lol :p

I agree, thru bolts and clamping it down should help it resist any lateral motion. I like the clean look of it for sure and I've seen a similar design with no lateral bracing. Plus yours are more low profile.
I was hoping you were going to tell me about some new elastic bungee bolts, lol
Of course jumping sideways off large swells or wakeboard wakes and slamming into the next set is a really good test :eek:, I mean should you be curious :p
You wing it there really good, that's for damned sure
thumbs up.png