WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

24 FT Daycruiser with torque converter eliminator

75jetboat

Reaction score
Good morning all. Long time eavesdropper, first time post. ha ha

I have a 78 Campbell 24 FT. It currently has a a pretty decent 468 with a well built power glide and casale v-drive. I would like to trash the torque converter and put in a torque converter eliminator. I know all of the ins and outs of what's needed for doing the swap. I haven't been able to find an answer on the following though.

With the torque converter eliminator, can you still change gears from forward to reverse in a semi quick fashion? Like when setting up to pull some one. I would still like to tow my kids around but want to make sure I'm not trying to get rid of the torque converter for something I might still need it for.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Welcome. Post some pictures of the boat when you can.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Good morning all. Long time eavesdropper, first time post. ha ha

I have a 78 Campbell 24 FT. It currently has a a pretty decent 468 with a well built power glide and casale v-drive. I would like to trash the torque converter and put in a torque converter eliminator. I know all of the ins and outs of what's needed for doing the swap. I haven't been able to find an answer on the following though.

With the torque converter eliminator, can you still change gears from forward to reverse in a semi quick fashion? Like when setting up to pull some one. I would still like to tow my kids around but want to make sure I'm not trying to get rid of the torque converter for something I might still need it for.
Yes, it's done all the time in boats since the prop can slip a bit. Even the turbo and supercharged ski race boats run a direct spline drive with a heavy duty drive plate that bolts to the flywheel and has some torsion springs in it.

75jetboat

Reaction score
But they still use reverse right. It just seems like a pretty hard thrust from forward into reverse being directly coupled to the trans. Do have to pause in neutral at all?

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
But they still use reverse right. It just seems like a pretty hard thrust from forward into reverse being directly coupled to the trans. Do have to pause in neutral at all?
Depends how much you value your transmission. Ever shift your car into reverse on the freeway?

75jetboat

Reaction score
That was pretty much the premise of the question. So if I still want to be able to tow around my kids I would be better off leaving the torque converter in. I'm not talking going 50 and then trying to go into reverse. I'm talking more idle waiting for the kids to get back on the tube or skis and being able to go into reverse for a second if needed.

sintax

Reaction score

nothing ever has to happen that quickly.

all dock / trailer type slow speed stuff should be slow and thought out. I'm constantly in and out of gear, but almost always its forward and neutral. If I had to go forward into reverse i'd stop in between. Same story goes for no wake zone, like the channel, I cant leave it in gear and idle without going too fast so I'm always in and out of gear.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What the hell speed are you planning on shifting from forward to reverse in? You should never have to shift into reverse above wakeless speed.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Every ski boat with a velvet drive is basically an automatic transmission. They don't have torque converters and run for thousands of hours. Can't say I ever shifted my hallett daycruisers into reverse at forty miles an hour.🤣

sintax

Reaction score
What the hell speed are you planning on shifting from forward to reverse in? You should never have to shift into reverse above wakeless speed.

+100

haha beyond the fact reverse in a v-drive will almost always pivot you around so if youre not prepared to counter act that, it'll only generally worsen your situation.

bocco

Reaction score
You'll be fine. That was common practice using an automatic tranmission with no converter. I used reverse for docking all of the time.

75jetboat

Reaction score
You'll be fine. That was common practice using an automatic tranmission with no converter. I used reverse for docking all of the time.
That's basically all I wanted to make sure of. I just wasn't sure if putting in the eliminator just puts reverse out of the question all together. Seems like a lot of torque transfer without the converter and a very quick jolt in the opposite directions for the tranny. Wasn't looking to slam it into reverse going 50. ha ha ha. I think I'll be good then and I'll keep moving forward. Thanks

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Front pump drive:

Dan'l

Just Ducky

Reaction score
I've heard of some people running torque converters in v-drives but they are welded so they don't really work like in an auto trans. Just basically a cheap coupler to the engine. I don't know but maybe yours is welded solid?