WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

24hrs of Lemons Motor

Streetmoto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My brother and some of our friends finally decided to do a 24hrs of Lemons Race, something we've talked about for quite a while. For those that haven't heard, it's an endurance race made of $500 cars (no restriction of how much you spend on safety equipment). We ended up with a 2001 ford ranger with a 5 speed and 2.5l 4cyl w/ 200k miles. Looking for feedback on making it live the 10hrs of racing on the first day and 8hrs for the second.

Here is what we're thinking so far:
Rings/bearings, timing belt, new plugs/wires/hoses etc, new O2 sensor. The most common motor issue at these races is overheating/blown head gasket so we're planning on adding a huge radiator and big separate oil cooler to keep the temps down. When new, the motor made 119hp at 5k rpms and 146 ft-lbs at 3k so there's no need for us to wind it up at any time (doing research to see if there's an easy way to add a 5k rev limiter). We have a laundry list of spares that we want to bring, an extra long block being one of them. Are there any additives or specific oils we should run or any other suggestions you guys can think of that might help it the motor survive the full 2 days? Thanks in advance! Sean

hallett21

Reaction score
Ive heard about this. Sounds hilarious. Is it true you can take off components to de-value the car? Could sworn I heard something like that.

Streetmoto

Reaction score
Ive heard about this. Sounds hilarious. Is it true you can take off components to de-value the car? Could sworn I heard something like that.
When you go through tech inspection, the first half of it is serious. They want to make sure the cage is correct, fire suppression system is in place, no issues with the fuel system etc. The second half is when they tell you how many laps you'll be penalized based on how much more than $500 they think you paid for your car. For this part of tech, bribery is heavily encouraged. Things like having a 12 pack of his favorite beer sitting on the passenger seat or telling him "I think you dropped this $20" can go a long way in minimizing the penalty laps. Looks like pretty fun deal, and they race on all the big tracks nation-wide.