WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

25 Lightning and Genesis Boats

eliminate25

Reaction score
Both were built from the same mold which uses stepped hull. Anyone been around either one of these boats. Not sure on quality, performance, etc.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I have the same Hull Mine is a Virage made out of Havasu for a couple years then went under i'm sure someone on here knows the history. My boat has the 502 I run a labbed 24 and a 26 4blabe bravo. The boat gets a little chine walk after 65 you definitely need trim tabs but runs well over chop if you know how to use the tabs the pretty easy to drive and turns well. I have almost 700 hrs on mine never any issues with the hull the motor is getting a little tired lol!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
They were about on par with ultra for that time period.

boatpi

Reaction score
Make sure it has a hull number (HIN) in the transom!!

I know who built those and some never did , most have funky plates. Yes, Van Beek was the owner although his sister was the name on the docs so he could hide from all the creditors.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either Laser or Essex used that hull in the same time frame. They rigged one with an HP525 and the chine walk was so bad it almost tossed the driver out while testing it on Elsinore. Other than that it seemed like a nice hull and a good sized family boat.

Let It Ride

Reaction score
I bought my 23’ Genesis in 2003 and had all good, no issues, great boat.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Either Laser or Essex used that hull in the same time frame. They rigged one with an HP525 and the chine walk was so bad it almost tossed the driver out while testing it on Elsinore. Other than that it seemed like a nice hull and a good sized family boat.

it was laser and you just need a good set of trim tabs and you're good as far as the chin walk.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have the same Hull Mine is a Virage made out of Havasu for a couple years then went under i'm sure someone on here knows the history. My boat has the 502 I run a labbed 24 and a 26 4blabe bravo. The boat gets a little chine walk after 65 you definitely need trim tabs but runs well over chop if you know how to use the tabs the pretty easy to drive and turns well. I have almost 700 hrs on mine never any issues with the hull the motor is getting a little tired lol!

The virage was the original designer and builder of that hull. It was one of the first fine completely by computer I believe.

Andy B.

Reaction score
The virage was the original designer and builder of that hull. It was one of the first fine completely by computer I believe.

Yeah I think the guy that started it was from silicon valley.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Have a 2006 Lightning 247-XS and it's a quality boat by Ultra's sister company. The 496 MAG Bravo 1 combo runs strong, and it's rigged with quality hardware, right down to the stainless through bolts on just about everything.

Only drawbacks are the sound system, it's good but hard to hear outside of the boat, and the boat gets a little squirrelly at top speed, trimmed out. Not bad, it be just my skills but the family really enjoys it.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Have a 2006 Lightning 247-XS and it's a quality boat by Ultra's sister company. The 496 MAG Bravo 1 combo runs strong, and it's rigged with quality hardware, right down to the stainless through bolts on just about everything.

Only drawbacks are the sound system, it's good but hard to hear outside of the boat, and the boat gets a little squirrelly at top speed, trimmed out. Not bad, it be just my skills but the family really enjoys it.

Do you have tabs on your boat?

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Do you have tabs on your boat?

No, I do not have trim tabs. i can only trim the boat through the outdrive.

Have thought about adding them them though, but I typically don't run wide open except for short bursts. Tabs would be nice if just to balance the boat out at lower speeds.

Captain Dan

Reaction score
I believe the Virage / Genesis 25 footer is the same mold as the B&H Performance Boats (Water Rod) 251

Andy B.

Reaction score
I believe the Virage / Genesis 25 footer is the same mold as the B&H Performance Boats (Water Rod) 251

Yes I Agree, i was next to a Water rod a few years ago at Sandy(lake Mead) it was a 27 but identical hull and inside cockpit and interior.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it was laser and you just need a good set of trim tabs and you're good as far as the chin walk.

You are correct. It had a gel coat that had maroon lobster claw and a kind of golden orange accent. I don't know if they ever put tabs on that one or not.

propcheck

Reaction score
I bought an 04 Genesis 251 from the Casillas brothers When they where working with Van Beek out in Fontana. Mine just has that little 6.2 on a 24p prop it cruises fully loaded at 56 (bimini up) and 62 empty (gps) I have only changed a sensor in the motor and annual maintenance. The hull still shines has no stress cracks runs good and stable and the rigging has not had to be fixed or redone. I am a little dissappointed that the backseat stitching ripped last season but oh well i got at least a few seasons on it I could not be happier with my boat. Now the Extreme Trailer has been a pile of sh!t since day one. And they had three chances to fix it but could not figure out how. So hooray Genesis and screw Extreme

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I like my Ultra 247xs. Just had it out on the water for the first time last weekend since I started the restoration. I did add tabs tho. They don't need to be big. I'm still doing prop testing but it seems to run best on top end with the drive trimmed at 50% on the gauge and the tabs down about 25% on the gauge.