25 year old crack

cpdad93

Reaction score
About 25 years ago,the original owner of my R
raysoncraft spidercrack1.jpg
raysoncraft spidercrack1.jpg
raysoncraftspidercrack2.jpg
raysoncraftspidercrack2.jpg
aysoncraft hit a rock at Lake San Antonio. They did a quick repair (resin over crack, new oil pan, new strut and shaft) to get it back i the water for the weekend. well, it is finally coming apart and since the boat is going under the knife anyway, it needs fixed. Any input is appreciated. First thought, grind off the excess resin down to the spider crack, v-groove and feather out the crack area, glass in the v-grooves, then about three layers of glass on that. Peculiar as the cracks seem to not be showing on the bottom side.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
IMG_5445.PNG
I have used this on cracks both mine and on others: many boat builders use one strip of this to "tab" their hulls with their decks. Strong shiat !

lenmann

Reaction score
The area that is cracked and immediately surrounding it needs to be ground away at a 12:1 ratio based on hull thickness from both until the crack are no longer visible and laminated back up to the original thickness using the resin and cloth of your choice. The 1708 biaxial noted above is a great choice.

cpdad93

Reaction score
It looks like the resin they added on top of the crack is what is delaminating as they never properly repaired it. Should I grind down a large area with the long board or individually work my may down at each crack?

cofooter

Reaction score
Do what Lenmann said and dish out the whole cracked area using a 40G disk on an angle grinder and re-lay it up as the pictures shows. Grinding out and repairing each crack wont give is close to the needed strength and it is going to come back. If the crack goes all the way through the keel dish it out halfway, repair and do the same to the outside, This is a critical area for strength.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That crack appears to be in the flow coat.
On top of the plywood. Not structural. Hard to tell from the pictures.

cofooter

Reaction score
That crack appears to be in the flow coat.
On top of the plywood. Not structural. Hard to tell from the pictures.
Hard to tell, was assuming it was the keel where the underwater gear bolts through where is is solid glass.