WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

26 RPM Twin Merc 450R

lavey jr

Reaction score
We have begun a new RPM 26 Redline build.
This one will be rigged with twin Mercury Racing 450R's and it is available for purchase.

Initial gel design concept. Electric blue base, black bottom, gray pin stripes, tuxedo black design with orange to yellow fade.

IMG_2384-3.jpg

Here you can see Chris laying down the gel coat.
Starting with the gray cockpit and pin stripes.

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

Next Chris back masked the mold to spray the fade.

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

After the fade was done, pulled the masking to spray the tuxedo black. (missed the pictures for that step)
Then electric blue base coat. Tricky part with the electric blue is to get a good even coat because it is so transparent. You can see the transparency in some of the pictures.

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

Bottom mold receives the same treatment and processes.

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

Here's a short video showing parts of this process. It will give you a quick look at the steps it takes. Enjoy!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
We have begun a new RPM 26 Redline build.
This one will be rigged with twin Mercury Racing 450R's and it is available for purchase.

Initial gel design concept. Electric blue base, black bottom, gray pin stripes, tuxedo black design with orange to yellow fade.

View attachment 881472

Here you can see Chris laying down the gel coat.
Starting with the gray cockpit and pin stripes.

View attachment 881480
View attachment 881482
View attachment 881481
View attachment 881483

Next Chris back masked the mold to spray the fade.

View attachment 881484
View attachment 881485

After the fade was done, pulled the masking to spray the tuxedo black. (missed the pictures for that step)
Then electric blue base coat. Tricky part with the electric blue is to get a good even coat because it is so transparent. You can see the transparency in some of the pictures.

View attachment 881488
View attachment 881489
View attachment 881487
View attachment 881486

Bottom mold receives the same treatment and processes.

View attachment 881490
View attachment 881491
View attachment 881492
View attachment 881493

Here's a short video showing parts of this process. It will give you a quick look at the steps it takes. Enjoy!

Chris, thanks for sharing that process with us. I'm new to this gelcoat & paint process and am intrigued. I worked most of my career representing AkzoNobel Coatings in their commercial vehicle division selling the Sikkens brand so I have some different expertise. Are you laying down grey gelcoat and then later following with a blue paint coatings product of some kind? Thanks.... just curious in the process really.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Chris, thanks for sharing that process with us. I'm new to this gelcoat & paint process and am intrigued. I worked most of my career representing AkzoNobel Coatings in their commercial vehicle division selling the Sikkens brand so I have some different expertise. Are you laying down grey gelcoat and then later following with a blue paint coatings product of some kind? Thanks.... just curious in the process really.

Yes and no. The in the mold gel coat process is sort of difficult to explain over typing and is all done in reverse. Different gel coaters have their own way of doing things and which colors to do first.

In the pictures and video posted a quick breakdown of the color and spraying stages went like this:

gray gelcoat which will be the cockpit and all pin stripes. Orange/yellow fade area which went clear coat, Orange, yellow. Tuxedo black area which went clear coat then tuxedo black. Electric blue base coat area which went clear coat, electric blue, another blue that’s less transparent. Then after the final color is sprayed the entire mold is sprayed with black to make one uniform color backing all the colors and with the main purpose to assist in the lamination process because the air bubbles in lamination look white so you will know where you need to pull out air bubbles while the lamination/resin is still wet.

That’s the quickest shortest way I can to explain the complex process. Sorry if it’s confusing.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Love watching a professional display his craft. And this thing is going to be a rocket. Standard or carbon build?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yes and no. The in the mold gel coat process is sort of difficult to explain over typing and is all done in reverse. Different gel coaters have their own way of doing things and which colors to do first.

In the pictures and video posted a quick breakdown of the color and spraying stages went like this:

gray gelcoat which will be the cockpit and all pin stripes. Orange/yellow fade area which went clear coat, Orange, yellow. Tuxedo black area which went clear coat then tuxedo black. Electric blue base coat area which went clear coat, electric blue, another blue that’s less transparent. Then after the final color is sprayed the entire mold is sprayed with black to make one uniform color backing all the colors and with the main purpose to assist in the lamination process because the air bubbles in lamination look white so you will know where you need to pull out air bubbles while the lamination/resin is still wet.

That’s the quickest shortest way I can to explain the complex process. Sorry if it’s confusing.
No, I actually understood based on your descriptions.... who are the coating manufacturers of choice in your marine business? Sikkens [That's AkzoNobel], Axalta [DuPont], PPG, and Sherwin Williams perhaps. These are the players in coatings manufacturing across the globe..... however the names you will be familiar with will fall under their brands. Again, thanks for your tutorials.... I came by your facility over a year ago while in the area. You were quite nice in showing me around the operation.

lavey jr

Reaction score
No, I actually understood based on your descriptions.... who are the coating manufacturers of choice in your marine business? Sikkens [That's AkzoNobel], Axalta [DuPont], PPG, and Sherwin Williams perhaps. These are the players in coatings manufacturing across the globe..... however the names you will be familiar with will fall under their brands. Again, thanks for your tutorials.... I came by your facility over a year ago while in the area. You were quite nice in showing me around the operation.

My pleasure.

Dura Tech and LillyRam are the primary stuff we use.

This is Chris Jr. You probably got the tour from my dad because I was active duty stationed in Hawaii during that time. But I’m glad you were able to check out the Lavey operation an I’m here to assist you with any questions you may have!

lavey jr

Reaction score
You can see how much the electric blue changes in different lighting.
Deck is out of the mold, bottom out of the mold, fuel tanks installed (98 gallons), some of the coosa bulkheads, put the deck on to the bottom to bond the rest of the bulkheads and bond the shoebox fit.

IMG_3066.jpg
IMG_3070.jpg
IMG_3071.jpg
IMG_3072.jpg
IMG_3074.jpg
IMG_3079.jpg
IMG_3610.jpg
IMG_3603.jpg
IMG_3601.jpg
IMG_3615.jpg
IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3624.jpg
IMG_3625.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3615.jpg
    IMG_3615.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3617.jpg
    IMG_3617.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 243

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You can see how much the electric blue changes in different lighting.
Deck is out of the mold, bottom out of the mold, fuel tanks installed (98 gallons), some of the coosa bulkheads, put the deck on to the bottom to bond the rest of the bulkheads and bond the shoebox fit.

View attachment 915471 View attachment 915472 View attachment 915473 View attachment 915474 View attachment 915475 View attachment 915476 View attachment 915477 View attachment 915478 View attachment 915483 View attachment 915484 View attachment 915480 View attachment 915481 View attachment 915482
So how odd is it for you guys to pop the top and bottom then bond them together? I know you guys didnt build the molds so its why you cant really do that method very effectively. Id imagine its gotta be a little weird doing it that way after all these years though right?