WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

26 Scarab CC I/O restoration

StevieHops

Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster. Figured is was my turn to start posting.

First a little back story. I grew up in a lake family. My grandparents met on the Colorado River when they were in the Santa Monica city college water ski club back in the late fifties and early sixties. They were the first people ever to stay at the Apache lake old hotel back in 1974. My grandpa had some cool jet boats then a sleek craft executive for a long time then switched to blue water boats that he kept in Santa Monica and would take em out to Catalina every month or so.

My parents got together in the 80’s and quickly bought a carrea jet boat from a police seizure auction. After that had a 21’ Galaxie, 26 conquest enforcer then a 30’ sleek.

I grew up going to apache lake every other weekend till I was about 10 then my parents bought a 1/4 share of a houseboat on powell then we went there pretty much exclusively.

So grew up ski, wakeboarding and hydrofoiling ( my dad bought the first air chair back in 91 from Tucson Marine). I bought my first boat at 17 (1988 Mastercraft Tristar) then an 05 cheetah Stilleto several years later wich I sold the next summer for an 06 Calabria v drive. I had the Calabria for 10 years and sold it last year to get and refurbish the scarab.
I’ve always loved water sports but like to go fast too

I mainly boat at powell and apache with an occasional Havasu or Parker trip. I wanted something good for cruising and touring around powell that would handle the chop but still be able to surf (the only water sport my wife likes) and other water sports. Also with something that has a lot of seating and storage.

I’ve always loved th old Campbell wailers and wanted one for a long time but when Volvo came out with the Volvo forward drive I started thinking about east coast style center consoles. Someryhing with a deep v that we could retrofit with the Volvo forward drive.

I stumbled upon this scarab with a Gernaded merc 454 and bravo one transom assembly and decided to pick it up after the stringers and floor checked out ( didn’t care about the transom because I knew I would be filling it anyways.

So the plan is to fill the transom and put a Volvo forward drive, drop a 5.7 or 6.2 merc mpi,( going with merc because we can use the same wiring harness.) add a ton of seating and storage, then re gel it or paint it.

Casey at Porters Marine is helping me out with the transom and all of the rigging. The dude is awesome and very helpful with planning this whole thing out.

Trying make it a cross between the newer style sand bar hopper center consoles and a roll bar boat.

42868126-7191-46D2-BFFA-281CE26E3C18.jpeg
91831D23-81BC-4B05-A3EE-03CCF467CA76.jpeg
6290B64E-B319-461A-83EA-237DAA0160FE.jpeg
6568BE71-569A-4A84-AA9C-78EE6B55B77C.jpeg
3721F240-9BFC-4CD2-8B53-C9AA558F30E2.jpeg
02109044-7681-4B87-B9AF-A46ED507EB33.jpeg
C2CCF016-6F65-40DF-AE66-0DD46F300291.jpeg
776E98A1-A4CF-4DD2-994F-97077F8585EB.jpeg
FA694052-4E5E-4BF7-A4BD-510D1439EC45.jpeg
C9CB4DC1-06F4-4CFF-BBF7-833A08DA5418.jpeg
5E443D15-AA71-4533-A456-25DBBD2D94EC.jpeg
A11A8DD9-8358-46B1-803A-388F174F2533.jpeg
4620C47B-9678-46A4-9D4D-26A9E2A8224A.jpeg
E8D06755-C355-4140-A48A-BE0BA68B7E8D.jpeg

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Awesome! Welcome to the show. :)

Moving forward, please click the "full image" button before posting the pics.
;)

Makes it easier for us to view your project.:cool:

Lookin forward to seeing your progress!

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
This is cool! I think a CC would be a fun platform to completely redo and make your own. The fwd drive will be a nice little twist to it as well!

Keep posting pics of the progress. These are my favorite threads to read. :)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Going to be a cool build thread. I'm a whaler fan from way back also. That first picture of the front playpen is great. Don't know if you fish, but it would be great to make the cushions come out of that playpen and make a casting platform.
You think a 5.7 is going to have enough for that big of a boat?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Skrew the volvo and do a pair of 400's! Lol I am just kidding. Just wanted to be the first to say it...

I have never seen a forward drive on a CC. Should be an interesting project. Chris Craft, Formula, Four Winns, Crownline, Cobalt and Bryant all make a 27' with the Volvo drive. One of the things that I would look at is speed though. These drives are built for low end grunt. Boat test tested the Chaparell 227 with the 350hp Volvo motor max speed was 49 mph and the Regal 23 with the 300 hp motor and top speed was 46 mph. The hull you are starting with is light years more efficient than the Chap or the Regal in terms of straight line speed but as this is a Powell boat extended cruising times may be in your future. The forward facing drive cannot be raised below the bottom of the boat which means lots of drag on a hull that was designed to get up and out of the water. While I think the hull is more efficient it might be fighting the drive... Not sure how this would work but I would love to see it tried. @RiverDave I think you caught a picture of a bigger boat at the LA boat show with a forward facing drive. Do you remember what it was?

The big 430 horse Volvo is where I would start. I would also look at how the Chris Craft is rigged. I would say out of the all the comparable boats that are out there it's going to have the most similar hull design but its still a long way off. There is a ton that you can do with the older CC hulls. I will be really interested to see how this works out.

StevieHops

Reaction score
Going to be a cool build thread. I'm a whaler fan from way back also. That first picture of the front playpen is great. Don't know if you fish, but it would be great to make the cushions come out of that playpen and make a casting platform.
You think a 5.7 is going to have enough for that big of a boat?

I'm not much of a fisher, but want to be able to reconfigure for sitiuations like that. The boat is pretty light, 2300 dry. it supposably did low 50's with an old 454 300hp merc. I would think it be in the mid 50's with a motor with the same hp and sevral hundred lbs lighter.

StevieHops

Reaction score
Skrew the volvo and do a pair of 400's! Lol I am just kidding. Just wanted to be the first to say it...

I have never seen a forward drive on a CC. Should be an interesting project. Chris Craft, Formula, Four Winns, Crownline, Cobalt and Bryant all make a 27' with the Volvo drive. One of the things that I would look at is speed though. These drives are built for low end grunt. Boat test tested the Chaparell 227 with the 350hp Volvo motor max speed was 49 mph and the Regal 23 with the 300 hp motor and top speed was 46 mph. The hull you are starting with is light years more efficient than the Chap or the Regal in terms of straight line speed but as this is a Powell boat extended cruising times may be in your future. The forward facing drive cannot be raised below the bottom of the boat which means lots of drag on a hull that was designed to get up and out of the water. While I think the hull is more efficient it might be fighting the drive... Not sure how this would work but I would love to see it tried. @RiverDave I think you caught a picture of a bigger boat at the LA boat show with a forward facing drive. Do you remember what it was?

The big 430 horse Volvo is where I would start. I would also look at how the Chris Craft is rigged. I would say out of the all the comparable boats that are out there it's going to have the most similar hull design but its still a long way off. There is a ton that you can do with the older CC hulls. I will be really interested to see how this works out.

I'm not much of a fisher, but want to be able to reconfigure for sitiuations like that. The boat is pretty light, 2300 dry. it supposably did low 50's with an old 454 300hp merc. I would think it be in the mid 50's with a motor with the same hp and sevral hundred lbs lighter.

**Correction 2700 lbs

StevieHops

Reaction score

The Cobalt R5 is running at 50 mph with the 350hp volvo in it. I think that is the closest I will find in weight and length to what I have. I agree there is going to be alot more drag with that drive as well as lowering the x dimension 2" to accomadete the props. There is going to be some trial and error. Worst case if it doesnt work out I can always sell the drive and replace with a bravo one and have a pretty sweet cruiser.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I really like what you're doing and we'll be watching this thread. as I think it would make a good compromise boat for ocean and big lakes. Your speed numbers maybe close. And I don't want to start with any negatives LOL but I think it might be 2700 kg not pounds.
I'm going to Fred Hall this week and I always drool over the center consoles.

StevieHops

Reaction score
So I have started
I really like what you're doing and we'll be watching this thread. as I think it would make a good compromise boat for ocean and big lakes. Your speed numbers maybe close. And I don't want to start with any negatives LOL but I think it might be 2700 kg not pounds.

You might be right, I’m only getting off the brouchere from 1990, but it doesn’t have the difference from outboard and I/o. 2700 is probably with a single outboard.

StevieHops

Reaction score
F0A6055E-ED98-4119-BB98-40BB344677D7.png
5FE54425-0C31-4F6E-BF05-52C96A27B368.jpeg
E4D97001-0101-4252-8AA8-183575C4C2E0.png
So I’m stating to collect parts for the forward drive conversion. Luckily the Sx-a douprop and the forward drive have the same transom assembly and upper so parts are easy to find.

So far I have the assembly, upper and y pipe.

StevieHops

Reaction score
Send me some pics if you see some cool layouts you think would work for my project.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I have looked at some of the older Scarab's before and spent a fair amount of time thinking about how I could arrange seating in the front as there is a ton of wasted space.

I think if you could rework the forward door to make it open vertically with a top hinge you could attach a seat back and base to the door itself that would lift up and out of the way when you need to access the forward cuddy. This would make for a much nicer continuous front seating area. Or simpler would be to close off the current door and put in a top hatch. It would be a pain to get anything out of there though.

The other idea I had was to extend the seating on one side and have it wrap all the way to the seat in front of the console. Midnight Express is doing this on their CC's
34 Pied-A-Mer:
597a025a5e733f9e.jpg

Your boat is shaped a little differently but you get the idea. On the closed off side they put a sink in next to the console.
Here's the 39 cuddy.
5801432_20170615124257828_1_LARGE.jpg

I just think this is a much better use of space for a boat that isn't going to be used as a fishing machine.

StevieHops

Reaction score
This is a rough sketch of what I am thinking .

-still debating wither to have the playpen connect to the console or leave it and make like the picture I posted yester day
- I want to move the console and deivers seats forward about 12" to make the engine cover/seat one big pad with an adjustable backrest to either move all the way forward so people can face backwards, to the middle so people can face either way and all the way to the back so you can lounge while you are cruising. (kind og like the cobalt pictured but the seat
will be contained with the gunnels.
2000000009.jpg
IMG_4607.jpg
IMG_4608.jpg

Lars_The_Swedish_Viking

Reaction score
Very cool project. Hopefully, the gearing works out well with the Volvo FWD. I know the Volvo 6.2 430 FWD package is expensive, so it would be great if you guys save a few buck$ and make this work. I know the 26 Scarab Sprint was available with a Volvo Penta BBC 330 hp back in 1991 or twin 150 hp outboards for example, so you'll come out better weight wise. Never been in a I/O 26 Sprint, but I know from experience that they run better with big single outboards than twins. Keep up the good work!
Here's a local outboard next to me and it's rare, one of the few Team Scarab 26 CC outboards done by Larry Smith.

20140129_140310 Team Scarab 26 Sprint CC.jpg

StevieHops

Reaction score
I heard Larry made a few of these. I would love to see the deck layout! I wonder if Dan at Team Archer still has the deck tooling for this. i know he just made a new 26 speedster which is the same hull.

Lars_The_Swedish_Viking

Reaction score
Sorry Stevie, never seen the boat uncovered so I don't know the layout. Was waiting around, the time I discovered the boat in Newport, since somebody seemed to have worked on her, but nobody showed, so I just got a couple of shots of the hull. Boat was made in 1988, so my guess is that Larry made a few when he designed the CC for Wellcraft. Then the deck molds where probably shipped to them and they started production of these in 1989. How come you're so familiar with Larry Smith's Team Scarab boats? Most folks never knew he made these for example. Off subject here, but I can't help bringing it up. Tom Gentry's Team Scarab 26 lived in Arizona for a while. I don't know who had it or where it's now, but do you happen to have any info on that Stevie? Kind regards, Lars.
26%20scarab%20gentry Team Scarab 26 by Larry Smith in Arizona.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
Are you putting a partial hardtop on this one? That would look sweeeeet

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Thinking about the back how much room is between the engine hatch and the center seat? If there isn't a whole lot of room what about a big sunpad and a bench straight across the back? This is what my Uncle has with his Silverwing Whaler.
1914909_1119625235421_233788_n.jpg

That's my fat ass by the way.

StevieHops

Reaction score
Sorry Stevie, never seen the boat uncovered so I don't know the layout. Was waiting around, the time I discovered the boat in Newport, since somebody seemed to have worked on her, but nobody showed, so I just got a couple of shots of the hull. Boat was made in 1988, so my guess is that Larry made a few when he designed the CC for Wellcraft. Then the deck molds where probably shipped to them and they started production of these in 1989. How come you're so familiar with Larry Smith's Team Scarab boats? Most folks never knew he made these for example. Off subject here, but I can't help bringing it up. Tom Gentry's Team Scarab 26 lived in Arizona for a while. I don't know who had it or where it's now, but do you happen to have any info on that Stevie? Kind regards, Lars.
View attachment 733584
Lars, I’ve always know about Larry since I could remember. My dad loved offshore racing and Larry was a bing deal in the eighties and nineties. Over never seen that 26’ bit anything with Gentry on it is pretty sweet.

StevieHops

Reaction score
Thinking about the back how much room is between the engine hatch and the center seat? If there isn't a whole lot of room what about a big sunpad and a bench straight across the back? This is what my Uncle has with his Silverwing Whaler.
1914909_1119625235421_233788_n.jpg

That's my fat ass by the way.

There will be pleanty of room, the new motor should drop down low enough the the engine hatch will double as the back seat.

StevieHops

Reaction score
If you're anywhere near socal I'd be stoked to help with the hardtop portion of build. Seems really fun to me for some reason

I appreciate the offer, but I’m in Tucson.

StevieHops

Reaction score
6B1B2989-AE6B-41E2-B48C-5DC335C48675.jpeg
Swung by the shop today to drop off some parts. Exterior of the transom is filled now it just needs to be sanded and primed. Exterior transom build up is next.

I also need to get this bottom paint off, has anyone ever used or heard of someone using dustless blasting? I guess it’s only around $600 and it leaves the gel at an 80 grit.

HAP

Reaction score
Yeah, they are the 200 HP carbureted.

StevieHops

Reaction score
E6BF61FD-52A5-4F9B-9E86-B4E049349D63.jpeg
Picked up a motor today!

2008 Volvo Penta GXI mpi 320hp with 240 fresh water hours on it. Came out of a boat that was in a car accident. Complete with computer, wiring harnesses, manifolds, risers, rest of the exhaust parts I needed, and the inner transom bracket. All for 2k!

StevieHops

Reaction score
0CAAA8BE-5502-474C-8C62-CFB93CB6ECC7.jpeg
0CAAA8BE-5502-474C-8C62-CFB93CB6ECC7.jpeg
Had the bottom paint blasted off today. Took him about 3 hours and $880. Way better than laying on my back and doing it by hand. Plus I don’t have to very that nasty stuff all over me. Left it at about a 100 grit finish.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Following!

Remember to stay away from those rocks with that drive!
20180723_172902.jpg

Your transom is a stout one, aside from the trim rams, there was. Nothing wrong with this one. we still have it and the lower here in tx if you need any spare parts

StevieHops

Reaction score
Following!

Remember to stay away from those rocks with that drive! View attachment 738271

Your transom is a stout one, aside from the trim rams, there was. Nothing wrong with this one. we still have it and the lower here in tx if you need any spare parts[/QUOTE

Man they hit that with some speed to bust the upper housing like that.

I would ask for the upper gear set bury it looks pretty much toast . What shop are you working at in Austin? I lived in Round Rock for a bit. My buddy Jason is a boat mechanic out there too. Btw your ultra s coming out awesome! Keep up the good work.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Ya, those are pretty much wrecked.... lol. Is your buddy Noack?

StevieHops

Reaction score
No it’s Jason Diffenderfer (spelling may be way off lol)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Can't say I know him. I work at 5star on lake travis

StevieHops

Reaction score
B8089FDF-FAB4-4665-BBAB-F448169083D5.jpeg
Update: Finally getting back on this project. Ended up buying a new house and doing a full remodel on it. Needless to say the boat has been on the back burner.

Transom assembly is in and motor is mounted. Upper drive is being rebuilt and about to order the lower. Motor is getting wired up next week. [GALLERY=]
618278FD-081B-4EE6-9412-640EE7452496.jpeg
[/GALLERY]

StevieHops

Reaction score
Motor is wired up and running!

Needs a new fuel pump and regulator but other than that it’s running.

Putting an order is for the lower, props, new gears for the upper, fuel pump and regulator today.

Did some work this weekend, framed out the rear bench out of 6063 aluminum and wrapping it in hdpe plastic.

Also finally removed the old pedestals, had to drill out 6 bolts.

working on the trailer this week, lifting it and adding the prop cage for the forward drive.

4AE3F9E8-FD93-43B7-B3AF-33BC8C92D044.jpeg
77530C6F-09C5-4076-B3A8-1274E648F171.jpeg
1F3F36F3-2498-44AD-BC6F-4D412B96C476.jpeg
CF8B5224-E14E-486D-BDEC-4E04BCF44A2D.jpeg
9BC68037-D2FF-4F53-9716-4FDE43FEC74D.jpeg
4BE0A2FC-1D79-4BBB-A807-9D68A403B4F8.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Bitchen. Glad you're making progress. I am trying to find the right 302 right now. I think im gonna dive into a similar project. How were the floors and stringers on yours?

StevieHops

Reaction score
Bitchen. Glad you're making progress. I am trying to find the right 302 right now. I think im gonna dive into a similar project. How were the floors and stringers on yours?

Me too LOL, I can't go another summer without a boat. They were dry and solid. The 26 and the 34 didn't gave the same wet floor problems the 302's have for some reason. What are you looking at doing with a 302?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

That's exactly what I have been looking at. Want to redo the front to match that midnight express interior I posted earlier and put some tall back seats in the back to keep the kids in it. I would run it with the power as is for a season or two until I can find a pair of 300s to repower with.

The 302 is the perfect boat for me for a few reasons. Price being the big one they are reasonable. They run mid 70s with 300's and they have the room to turn them into a pretty cool party barge without too much work. It's not too big to trailer to the river and it's big enough to drop it in Newport harbor and run it to Catalina. It's got the front cabin to get the kids out of the sun.

Hard to find on the west coast. Lots in Texas and fl...