WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

270 hallett.....

retaocleg

Reaction score
I’m all for a WTOB. Which bottom? The OG Hallett bottom or a Nordic bottom. Twin IO would be awesome to see or a single big power. Teak floors or fiberglass? So many questions my head is spinning 😵‍💫

retaocleg

Reaction score
You could run a nice I/O setup (600 or better) for the cost of twin ob's. I dunno how astatically appealing twins will be on that transom.

A couple other thoughts I have with the twin ob's is that access of the swim step to either sit, hang out or get in and out of water is blocked. As for the open bow, yes (everyone loves sitting in the front).

Another vote for the I/O setup from me.
twin ob will be a no, was just my .02...........although painted cowls give me wood, consensus seems to be 520-600 single, which makes it easier for everyone....can build minus power, atleast the stringer system would be set, leave power option for the buyer

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
twin ob will be a no, was just my .02...........although painted cowls give me wood, consensus seems to be 520-600 single, which makes it easier for everyone....can build minus power, atleast the stringer system would be set, leave power option for the buyer

I would at least hang a transom assy and drive off the back so it looks like a complete boat on the floor

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Here’s my input and it doesn’t mean much. Randy needs to spend the money in updating the boat in all aspects. The straight bottom was proven and Hallett was headed in the right direction in trying to add steps to improve performance but just never got it 100% right. If money is no object fix the steps and lighten the boat up with composites. Make it run like a Howard bullet but ride like a Hallett. A WTOB is a great idea but the deck needs to be brought down like the 210, 240 WTOB, and 300t. The 270 is the only one that is out of proportion. (Side note…… something I’ve always hated is the deck on a 270. It’s so damn tall that the back seat passengers can’t see shit) A big swim step that doesn’t look like an afterthought is also a must. As for power if all this was done I’d really entertain two llmor 570s with their new surface drives, Or a single 825 Teague. Make a statement and show “Live the legend” is alive.

KevinE

Reaction score
If it was my money I would want a cuddy with a big front opening that went into the roof but could still be closed off with a sliding door. I'd go with the new Ilmor supercharged engine. Can you fit a side door on a 270?
100% brilliant! Keep the mid cabin but improve the ingress and egress!

KevinE

Reaction score
Ok my turn, 270 mid cabin owner here.

1.) keep the mid cabin but open up the ingress and egress by making the roof on the bow side so it can open / close similar to the cockpit side. Also add a step inside the cabin on each side that flips up and has storage inside. LED lighting and built in fans.

2.) put an electric cooler in the cabin for all of the food - make it removable

3.) walk through transom on driver side with wrap around seating config more like the eliminator fundeck. Small jump seat behind driver with storage all underneath

4.) large integrated cooler in the swim step with hatch and overboard drain

5.) large integrated swim platform with a rad fold away / under boarding ladder

6.) next level DCB quality finishes and anodized hardware - digital gauges - modernized cockpit - screen on passenger side.

7.) 100% alcantera interior

8.) teak floor with snap in carpet - bow too - no sea deck

9.) custom wake tower with integrated Bimini top

10.) the right I/O power package so it’s fast

11.) if you can find a way to open up the cockpit and add a few more inches of space front to back (maybe squeeze down the engine compartment?) do it.

12.) wash down shower head hidden away on transom

13.) forward boarding ladder on triple axel traler

14.) don’t go glitter, make the color scheme a throwback to the best of Hallett, but pick more relevant colors (my boat is purple yellow and red and it’s not my favorite)

15.) integrated cooler in front of passenger seat with overboard drain.

16.) radio controls to passenger area (not cabin) and controllable via driver screens

Just some of my two cents. If you’re going to build it make it next level and build something everyone is going to want.

Good luck!

Reactions: DWC

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Another vote for MCOB with Merc 600, white gel base with red or blue w/ silver/gray classic Hallett scheme. Predominantly white vinyl interior. I’d vote for a nice Garmin screen on the dash though just to update it a bit.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
270 hallett will not be a 275, same windshield as the 270, i promise
Then it can’t be a walk through. It needs to be a MCOB, single I/O if you want it to sell. Need to see renderings to understand the black. Small flake would be cool!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
270-sm1.jpg

Use this pic as inspiration. I would just stretch the graphics. Color combo can be changed. It will always look new.

MCOB
600 with XR/ITS
One piece floor liner with Carpet or Sea Dek
Same swim step with Sea Dek inserts
Windshield that rolls up
Keep the interior like the last Hallett's built. OG but modern enough and fits the boat.

Bad part is this will be a 225k stock boat.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
270-sm1.jpg

Use this pic as inspiration. I would just stretch the graphics. Color combo can be changed. It will always look new.

MCOB
600 with XR/ITS
One piece floor liner with Carpet or Sea Dek
Same swim step with Sea Dek inserts
Windshield that rolls up
Keep the interior like the last Hallett's built. OG but modern enough and fits the boat.

Bad part is this will be a 225k stock boat.

That is so bad ass.

chvynhra

Reaction score
A walk thru transom and huge swim platform would be nice. The 275 could really use a walk thru transom.

counterpart7

Reaction score
Walk through transom would really open it up and create something that none of the other WC V’s offer

FCT

Reaction score
it depends on what your going for.

I have a 270 and I love it. As I'm getting older I would love to have it be a walk thought. So walk thought laid out like a 240 with the 270 bottom. I guess I'm a traditionalist and would go for that timeless Hallett paint, no flake. I'd also go single 600 I/O
This. Make it timeless with simple colors and I/O.

OC Mike

Reaction score
This is a great thread. That is all.
Agree 👍👍
Best thread going. Will be interesting to see what gets built.
I'm sure there is a buyer for it.

One thing that is consistent with all suggestions is power.
Do NOT under power it.

It'll probably get built on spec with power TBD by buyer.
As an owner of one I would be doing a 600 or Teague 825...:cool::cool:

Edited...Have to admit twin Ilmor 570's would be pretty cool.
But then again, I'm not writing the check...:)

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
One of the huge benefits of the mid cabin is the ability to store stuff and kids out of the sun . A walk through would ruin that . That said , a more friendly access both in and out would be nice , think cut out like on the cockpit side .

Jay Dub

Reaction score
great thread. these type builds are very important to bringing the brand to a new group of owners.

OC Mike

Reaction score
One of the huge benefits of the mid cabin is the ability to store stuff and kids out of the sun . A walk through would ruin that . That said , a more friendly access both in and out would be nice , think cut out like on the cockpit side .
Agree..
However, I think the look of the 270 MCOB is just right.
Cutting open the front for better access may hurt the visuals.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is there any truth to this? Quick search and there are a few big boats capable of 65+ mph with 600s. One is a 46' with twin 600s doing 72knots(82mph).
2.5:1 gear ratio. They advertise 37” pitch being the biggest props.

At 10% slip that would be 77mph.

Icky

Reaction score
I've always thought having a retractable or hingable fiberglass section for the MCOB would be the best of both worlds. Open when you want to walk through, closed when you want the MC.

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
Walk thru. The older you get the smaller the MCOP hole gets.
Couldn't agree more. Our Lavey is MCOB and crawling through there over the years has become a PITA. The cabin is never really used other than for storage. Looks wise I am not a fan of walk through but its much more functional.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
Subbed to this thread! Can’t wait to see this come to fruition. I am a 270 owner myself. I’m not financially to a point in my life where I could afford a new boat, but if I was gonna do a new updated 270 I would do the following:

1. Fiberglass floor with drains with faux teak and holly sea deck.
2. A large swim step maybe with one of those hydraulic/electric folding steps in the middle that acts as a seat in the water. (See new chaparral surf models)
3. This was mentioned before, but I dig the idea of a walk path over the engine hatch on the driver side of the boat.
4. I personally would pick the mid cuddy open bow over a WTOB, but to be honest I’m really a closed bow guy mostly because I like the lines of a closed deck and the closed deck gives a place for a nice gel coat scheme. I dig the idea to make the open bow access similar to the cuddy access. Maybe a removable hard cover setup like that DCB build that came through the from the mold section a while back.
5. On closed bow models, An integrated step or steps on the passenger side to climb onto the bow for anchoring. With some sea deck strategically placed on the bow to help with traction when trying to throw anchor.
6. DTS controls for sure
7. Screens (Simrad, Garmin, Lowrance) laid out in a practical way that would allow for the use of chart plotters and tie into engine vital sensors and controls. Maybe even a structure scan capable one as well, I realize a 270 is not a fishing boat but being able to see what’s under the boat on occasion is a cool option.
8. For me power choice is inboard. My boat is twins and it’s pretty awesome that way but a big nasty single I/O would be cool too.

I know a lot of this stuff has been mentioned before. FWIW, I love my 270. It’s a 94 and it’s a rock solid boat. Every time I have it out people comment on it and/or compliment it. It’s definitely not the cleanest or most perfect 270 out there but it’s what I could afford and it’s all mine at this point so I love that part of it as well. I live in Oklahoma so there aren’t many boats like it around here at all. The gel scheme is dated and colors are definitely 90s, but that’s the story with a lot of boats on our waterways here. When I get to a point in life where a new boat is an option, I really hope that a Hallett is still available for me to choose from. I think a new composite 270 will help breathe new life into the brand to help keep it alive! Live the legend!

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Our Lavey is MCOB and crawling through there over the years has become a PITA.
We’re not big people, but the 270 is the easiest mid cuddly to get in and out of that I know in this size boat. The bow opening is tougher, but the cockpit door is perfect.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
IMO....since Hallett's are typically owned by old men, you can either go two ways....stick to classic lines, classic colors, solid I/O package just a little modern updating and you will attract the current Hallett owners group....but if you want to attract a whole new group of owners, call them younger, call them millennials, call them black sock wearers, whatever you want to call them, the ones that want that whole new HEY LAM boat, I would go the way you are leaning, bright colors, metal flake, outboard(s), etc....

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Another vote for MCOB with big single I/O power.

We loved the gel scheme of our 94 260 and constantly got compliments on it. Simple and clean.

IMG_1278.JPG

My wife loves the "bass boat" glitter, so on our new build, we added some. I was trying to keep the lines classy on the new boat but add some pop in color. The gray and green have small flake as well.

IMG_2453.JPG

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
Less is more. I've always appreciated the 'classy' appeal of Hallett Boats. There were a few 'two-tone' boats that came out, which were really striking! I wanted to see that continue. Think Cadillac Escalade Pearl, that flops to different colors in different lighting, covering what would mostly have been white, and then clean graphics along the sides. This work really well with both Red/Grays and Blue/Grays in these examples. Really stunning. No a fan of a classic color and like a NEON green PIN, like the latest 210. Everything was really looking great, amazing, I got lost on the neon pin.

- Keep it HOT ROD, keep it Classy.
- Gauges
- Clean switch panels, don't like the white rocker switches in the latest examples, on a big hunk of aluminum billet, looks off the shelf, and cross-pollinated from Nordic. But could be improved from the black rockers on the engraved faux-carbon acrylic panels from the past.
- Piano hinges, vs. exposed.
- Go back to the Hallett SS vents on the side and transom. The side vents aren't even cut out in the new boats, on some examples. The side scoop, and those pieces of SS are iconic, especially on the 270! Skip the fiberglass caps too. The engine vents do not need to be along the transom under the grab rail, keep the transom clean. Skip the billet vents across the back.
- Plush interior, the newer seats look really thin and boxed out vs. more inviting and plush.
- No headrests on the bow, or engine hatch.
- Driver and pass. buckets keep low profile as well.
- Correct the FONT on the emblems. the GIANT HALLETT and small 275/255 is silly!!!
- OG bimini style. White, Three stripes down the middle, with skirting down the sides. Custom Canvas by Monica. All the Havasu bimini builders do these super flat top bimini's, there is no shape to it, with lots of extra SS poles going freaking everywhere. Hallett's still sporting Custom Canvas Bimini's you can spot that a mile out. Just as identifiable as the side profile of the boats.
- Foot showers, not using Home Depot sprinkler parts, but like good a foot shower with billet nozzles and buttons.
- The new Ilmor supercharged V8 would be interesting, or Merc I/O.
- Exhaust above the water line. So many Hallett boats came out with low water exhaust and MEGA mufflers for a noise ordinance that I have NEVER seen enforced. Let the MOTOR make its noise. Like MAGIC Deck boat noise. With all these extended swim plat forms being a norm, these Hallett's should join in with the cackle fest.
- Tech integration, can be like. USB ports, modern cockpit lighting, underwater lights, nav lights.

I'm sure there is more, I've got my dream Hallett build list, but that is not this thread. Looking forward to the results. Good luck with the build, this is a tough crowd to please, LOL.

@retaocleg side note the (2) 255's in the build section I assume are out the door already, any pictures of the final products there??? Could provide some useful input to this thread. THXS.

875x400_fit_la15_hallett_285.jpg
DWP_3256.jpg
laboatshow16_hallett.jpg

BigAl96

Reaction score
Absolutely no metal flake on the first one. It would Behoove HALLETT to ask the 5k members on Hallett Owners Group FB and get their input. They'd appreciate it, as it is now they think Nordic doesn't give two shits about Hallett and the brand.

I will definitely participate in this thread. I'd be happy to swing by the shop next saturday for real in person input.
100% this, they think everything coming from hallett right now is just a nordic with a different label on it.

A mcob 270 is one of my favorite boats and I came very close to buying one but the wife wanted a deck boat. I'd bet that theyll tell you to go with a 565 or 600 to keep the classic hallett look. As for the metal flake I think it would help modernize the boat a bit if used properly without taking away from the overall look.

If its possible, opening up the mid cabin closer to how the cobra and sleek mid cabins are would make ingress and egress much easier and you can build in cooler holders into the bulkhead.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Less is more. I've always appreciated the 'classy' appeal of Hallett Boats. There were a few 'two-tone' boats that came out, which were really striking! I wanted to see that continue. Think Cadillac Escalade Pearl, that flops to different colors in different lighting, covering what would mostly have been white, and then clean graphics along the sides. This work really well with both Red/Grays and Blue/Grays in these examples. Really stunning. No a fan of a classic color and like a NEON green PIN, like the latest 210. Everything was really looking great, amazing, I got lost on the neon pin.

- Keep it HOT ROD, keep it Classy.
- Gauges
- Clean switch panels, don't like the white rocker switches in the latest examples, on a big hunk of aluminum billet, looks off the shelf, and cross-pollinated from Nordic. But could be improved from the black rockers on the engraved faux-carbon acrylic panels from the past.
- Piano hinges, vs. exposed.
- Go back to the Hallett SS vents on the side and transom. The side vents aren't even cut out in the new boats, on some examples. The side scoop, and those pieces of SS are iconic, especially on the 270! Skip the fiberglass caps too. The engine vents do not need to be along the transom under the grab rail, keep the transom clean. Skip the billet vents across the back.
- Plush interior, the newer seats look really thin and boxed out vs. more inviting and plush.
- No headrests on the bow, or engine hatch.
- Driver and pass. buckets keep low profile as well.
- Correct the FONT on the emblems. the GIANT HALLETT and small 275/255 is silly!!!
- OG bimini style. White, Three stripes down the middle, with skirting down the sides. Custom Canvas by Monica. All the Havasu bimini builders do these super flat top bimini's, there is no shape to it, with lots of extra SS poles going freaking everywhere. Hallett's still sporting Custom Canvas Bimini's you can spot that a mile out. Just as identifiable as the side profile of the boats.
- Foot showers, not using Home Depot sprinkler parts, but like good a foot shower with billet nozzles and buttons.
- The new Ilmor supercharged V8 would be interesting, or Merc I/O.
- Exhaust above the water line. So many Hallett boats came out with low water exhaust and MEGA mufflers for a noise ordinance that I have NEVER seen enforced. Let the MOTOR make its noise. Like MAGIC Deck boat noise. With all these extended swim plat forms being a norm, these Hallett's should join in with the cackle fest.
- Tech integration, can be like. USB ports, modern cockpit lighting, underwater lights, nav lights.

I'm sure there is more, I've got my dream Hallett build list, but that is not this thread. Looking forward to the results. Good luck with the build, this is a tough crowd to please, LOL.

@retaocleg side note the (2) 255's in the build section I assume are out the door already, any pictures of the final products there??? Could provide some useful input to this thread. THXS.

View attachment 1237530 View attachment 1237528 View attachment 1237529
Damn, that is a sexy red boat.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
The 240 has to be the most popular Hallett ever built and still sought after. This with a 520 would probably last a family a lifetime.
The 270 is a great boat but at that size and price point you are going to go head to head with the 28’ deck boats and I think the deck wins with performance and ease of beach access, etc.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If ya do that you can’t put twins in it. I wouldn’t own a 270 unless it had twins

it could if you put the walk through down the middle.

And if Hallett up and decides to do a walk thru transom: please please please mold it into the engine hatch and not the top cap!! The mechanics in the industry will thank you.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
IMG_8622.jpeg
IMG_8696.png

Nice setup with twin biminis at KL this weekend.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
it could if you put the walk through down the middle.

And if Hallett up and decides to do a walk thru transom: please please please mold it into the engine hatch and not the top cap!! The mechanics in the industry will thank you.

The motors are pretty tight in there.. I don’t think there would be room.