WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

3.5 Ecoboost Guys that have them.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Private or Ford warrantee? Ford is worth it. I wouldn’t have one if these EBs without it. Way too costly if they pop. Check on what his deductible is. Mine is 0$ but cost a little extra (250$) I believe. It also covers towing, rental vehicle, and a couple other small things. He paid anywhere from $2500-3K for it. Maybe a little less as that was the ballpark for my 3500 Transit van. He can cancel it and get money back, so there is a value to him. If you buy the vehicle with warranty, make sure you get transfer paperwork.

Through Ford. 100.00 deductible. He sent me the warranty receipt. He paid 1995.00 wants to add 1500 to the deal if I want the warranty.

On the transfer it looks like a call can be made and that is all?

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Through Ford. 100.00 deductible. He sent me the warranty receipt. He paid 1995.00 wants to add 1500 to the deal if I want the warranty.

On the transfer it looks like a call can be made and that is all?
Yes. You guys can call and have them email your paperwork. I’d do it at $1500. That’s probably close to what he’d get back. No brainer IMHO.

Taboma

Reaction score
Turbos derive energy from the exhaust stream quieting down the roar you get on an NA or blown rig -Even a turbo big block is pretty quiet.
A blower derives its energy from the crank snout leaving the exhaust stream free to blast away unimpeded.

UD

Yeah I get that, but since they've piped in the sound ( Or some kinda sound :confused:) over the speakers, wish they'd picked a blown big block, lol :D

manxman

Reaction score
had a 13 with the 3.5 and loved it, but it was 2 wd. Bought a 16 with the 2.7 because I just don't tow allot of weight and absolutely love the truck. Had a few issues with oil consumption in the very beginning (valve guides, full warranty) but after that no problems. Has 22k now and runs great.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
0DB0D15F-5903-4686-BE06-D18802494087.jpeg
904BBA80-3457-4BEA-8298-6F21FC5946A0.jpeg
I have a 13 with 52k on it and I love this truck. It’s super quiet, has a ton of interior room (when I bought I had two kids in car seats) and has never given me any problems.

It’s 4x4 crew cab 5.5 bed 3.5 EB with the 6 speed with a leveling kit and 35’s on stock wheels. I have pulled a small toy hauler (weighed just shy of 10k lbs) up Sirocco summit at 70 mph with ease. I have taken it off road in most places people wouldn’t have taken their jeeps with zero issues and have never been stuck. It is strictly my weekend/ hunting truck at this point. My only complaint (just my preference) is that the rear Springs/ shocks are too soft with any kind of weight in the bed. This attributes to the car-like ride which I have to say is pretty nice.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In looking at the pics and general reviews, these would be great trucks and drivetrain setups for their designed purpose. All my crap is just too heavy for a half ton. That said, it gives me reviews for powertrain swaps. Fords are still a pricey P.I.T.A., but sometimes packaging and Ford Blue customers dictate the project. Might be nice to find one wadded up, and play with it a bit.

spectras only

Reaction score
View attachment 702032 View attachment 702033 I have a 13 with 52k on it and I love this truck. It’s super quiet, has a ton of interior room (when I bought I had two kids in car seats) and has never given me any problems.

It’s 4x4 crew cab 5.5 bed 3.5 EB with the 6 speed with a leveling kit and 35’s on stock wheels. I have pulled a small toy hauler (weighed just shy of 10k lbs) up Sirocco summit at 70 mph with ease. I have taken it off road in most places people wouldn’t have taken their jeeps with zero issues and have never been stuck. It is strictly my weekend/ hunting truck at this point. My only complaint (just my preference) is that the rear Springs/ shocks are too soft with any kind of weight in the bed. This attributes to the car-like ride which I have to say is pretty nice.

looking at your second picture, it shows sag. Can't tell if it's hooked up to TT or not but looking at first pic, your TT couldn't have more than 500 lbs TW. My TT has 975 TW, truck goes slightly lower in the rear with TT hooked up, even without the equilizer bars. Perfectly level with WD bars. I have the a502 package. I have the air bags pumped up about 30 psi if the truck loaded in the bed with gen, bbq, zodiac etc.... https://pacbrake.com/pacbrake-air-suspension-kits/

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
View attachment 702032 View attachment 702033 I have a 13 with 52k on it and I love this truck. It’s super quiet, has a ton of interior room (when I bought I had two kids in car seats) and has never given me any problems.

Agreed with the rear springs being mushy...

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
The leveling kit gave it a slight rake where the front is a touch higher than the rear. However if there is more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed it get substantially worse. I don’t have air bags (yet) but the truck would definitely benefit from them. In the next year or so I’m going to upgrade the suspension as a whole. No lift or bolt on crap... just better Springs and shocks. With the WD hitch it rode almost level.

• looking at your second picture, it shows sag. Can't tell if it's hooked up to TT or not but looking at first pic, your TT couldn't have more than 500 lbs TW. My TT has 975 TW, truck goes slightly lower in the rear with TT hooked up, even without the equilizer bars. Perfectly level with WD bars. I have the a502 package. I have the air bags pumped up about 30 psi if the truck loaded in the bed with gen, bbq, zodiac etc.... https://pacbrake.com/pacbrake-air-suspension-kits/

Magic1

Reaction score
I have a 2018 with the 3.5l It is still new with 6k miles. Its acutely quite quick. I have towed my 27' Boat a few times to get gas in town but never on the open road yet. Gas mileage is 17.9 mostly city. Gonna program it soon and see what happens.

Mays351

Reaction score
D18DA281-AB13-491B-9043-03C3E566AD5C.jpeg
Got a 13 with almost 100k, 37’s, 4:10s, big intercooler, Borla exhst, intake,programmer. Only thing I’ve done is plugs and zero issues. Get about 15-16mpg without tire calibration...Still sounds like a vacuum cleaner tho

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah I get that, but since they've piped in the sound ( Or some kinda sound :confused:) over the speakers, wish they'd picked a blown big block, lol :D

I'm kinda replying to my own post because I was curious about comparing the exhaust note of the Raptor EB to an Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio which is also twin turbo V-6, but 90 degree vs 60 degree. Not much difference from the youtube videos I listened to. Although I must admit it sounds somehow better from the Alfa most likely because that's the type of exhaust note I'd expect, unlike a truck.
I also vastly appreciate the exhaust note from a new Ford GT with the TT EB --- for sure sounds better than my EB, but certainly not truck like.
So in the future when I punch it, I'll just pretend I'm driving an Alfa or a Ford GT, lol ;)

I think it still sounds better than a Viper :D:D:D:D Sorry, couldn't help myself, Spectras Only :p:p:p

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm kinda replying to my own post because I was curious about comparing the exhaust note of the Raptor EB to an Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio which is also twin turbo V-6, but 90 degree vs 60 degree. Not much difference from the youtube videos I listened to. Although I must admit it sounds somehow better from the Alfa most likely because that's the type of exhaust note I'd expect, unlike a truck.
I also vastly appreciate the exhaust note from a new Ford GT with the TT EB --- for sure sounds better than my EB, but certainly not truck like.
So in the future when I punch it, I'll just pretend I'm driving an Alfa or a Ford GT, lol ;)

I think it still sounds better than a Viper :D:D:D:D Sorry, couldn't help myself, Spectras Only :p:p:p

Only the Lariat and up has the piped in sound right?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taboma

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Pronstar, that's a must have and I found it on Amazon thanks to you --- yeah baby !!! $ 80 for the model X --- but the fun I can have with this might just be priceless.
I won't mention it to my wife, her initial expression alone will make it worthwhile :p:p With some bed mounted mega-speakers perhaps I can pipe that sound outside for the world to hear. If I have to hear their "Thumpin and Bumpin" subs, I can crank it up and they can listen to my Eco-Boost V-12, lol :D

Taboma

Reaction score
Only the Lariat and up has the piped in sound right?
Didn't realize they were doing that on other models other than the Raptor --- so don't know ?

I appreciated the uber-silence of my 12' Platinum EB, nothing piped in.
My garage queen Camaro makes wonderful exhaust notes, but it's not a long-haul tow vehicle either, where long grades and potential exhaust drone can drive you insane.
Obviously being old, I'm not the target market for Raptors, I guess they figured the younger crowd would appreciate a more rowdy sounding exhaust --- well they tried, I've yet to read about any Raptor owners raving about their exhaust sound, lol :( I've not noticed any drones while towing, so I'm appreciative of that.
I've read where guys have shut off the interior piped in sound, leaving them to hear more of the external pipes themselves, mixed reviews for sure.
I'm not about to alter the exhaust to quiet it down at the expense of power loss, after a year, I'm pretty much reconciled that it is what it is.
Since my neighbor spent years in the desert working for Ford on both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 development, getting paid to not only destroy them, but perfect them, I know they spent a shit-ton of money TRYING to improve the sound tone.
He's now working on the Broncos and Rangers --- but he'd never admit it, in fact won't admit to anything unless I can show him it's already been published --- but some times I can promote a wink or smile from his otherwise stern poker face :D

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Didn't realize they were doing that on other models other than the Raptor --- so don't know ?

I appreciated the uber-silence of my 12' Platinum EB, nothing piped in.
My garage queen Camaro makes wonderful exhaust notes, but it's not a long-haul tow vehicle either, where long grades and potential exhaust drone can drive you insane.
Obviously being old, I'm not the target market for Raptors, I guess they figured the younger crowd would appreciate a more rowdy sounding exhaust --- well they tried, I've yet to read about any Raptor owners raving about their exhaust sound, lol :( I've not noticed any drones while towing, so I'm appreciative of that.
I've read where guys have shut off the interior piped in sound, leaving them to hear more of the external pipes themselves, mixed reviews for sure.
I'm not about to alter the exhaust to quiet it down at the expense of power loss, after a year, I'm pretty much reconciled that it is what it is.
Since my neighbor spent years in the desert working for Ford on both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 development, getting paid to not only destroy them, but perfect them, I know they spent a shit-ton of money TRYING to improve the sound tone.
He's now working on the Broncos and Rangers --- but he'd never admit it, in fact won't admit to anything unless I can show him it's already been published --- but some times I can promote a wink or smile from his otherwise stern poker face :D

Def a downside of the 2nd Gen Raptor.

Taboma

Reaction score
Def a downside of the 2nd Gen Raptor.

I can live with it, because there's so many upsides !!

After having wheel-in-hand desert-developed both Gens, my neighbor could entertain you all afternoon on how superior the Gen 2 is to the Gen 1 --- except the sound part, lol :rolleyes:
Also one other thing, the aluminum bed, not due to structural issues, but because it made the ass-end so light (This applies to all the new gen Ford F-150s).
Drop a hundred or so pounds of sand bags or spare tires in the bed (To get the unsprung and sprung weight ratio better balanced), drop the tire pressure and it tames that skidderish ass-end.

When you make your paycheck breaking shit, sending it back for re-design, then trying to break it again, you learn what works. The frustrating part for him is, when the marketing division starts making engineering / aesthetics and cost decisions ---- and that's why they're not perfect, but still very good at what they're intended for, at least that what he tells me, wouldn't know, mines a garage queen and brother does he chew my ass out for that :mad: :eek: :p

riverroyal

Reaction score
Hold the phone...
I swear when I put my 2018 lariat in sport mode the exhaust note changes. Is this fake noise?

spectras only

Reaction score

Actually, my car sounds mucho better since I removed the cats;) what you all think?
The 708 cam in the 1996-1999's have a better sound with no cats and the puny single muffler replaced with through Magnaflows!:)

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Hold the phone...
I swear when I put my 2018 lariat in sport mode the exhaust note changes. Is this fake noise?

From the little I've read about it, it does seem that for the past few years under hard acceleration Ford has piped in what they call a "4th order sound" , which is a harmonic given off by V8s, where as V-6s give off a 3rd order sound ---- yeah OK, anybody think it sounds like a V8 now :confused: ??? Probably my aging ears deceiving me again --- like when my lovely wife's lips move, yet I hear no sound :D All I know is with my 12' Platinum, all I heard was a mellow whooshing sound, guess marketing felt that was a bad thing.

These same ears tell me my neighbor's kid's Subaru WRX sounds like a Harley and all the neighbors, including me, want him to die, when every morning at 5 AM he sits with it on fast idle for 10 minutes before he leaves for work. :mad::mad::mad::mad: And if my wife sez --- "You used to be young once too", one more time ---- I'm going to show my best poker face grin and think bad thoughts, very bad thoughts :p

spectras only

Reaction score
Hold the phone...
My EB is a 2014, sport mode came out in 2016. Yet, it sounds like a sales gimmick Ford advertising. The 2014 model can hold any gear by shifting to manual mode. I can't find true technical explanation in this article why the NEW sport mode is a break through? http://www.brandonford.com/blog/what-is-sport-mode-in-2015-ford-f150/

"If you have an F150 with sport mode, you will be able to take the back roads with no worries at any time of day. Sport mode in the new F150 changes the frequency the transmission shifts, which allows it to hold lower gear levels for longer."

Taboma

Reaction score
My EB is a 2014, sport mode came out in 2016. Yet, it sounds like a sales gimmick Ford advertising. The 2014 model can hold any gear by shifting to manual mode. I can't find true technical explanation in this article why the NEW sport mode is a break through? http://www.brandonford.com/blog/what-is-sport-mode-in-2015-ford-f150/

"If you have an F150 with sport mode, you will be able to take the back roads with no worries at any time of day. Sport mode in the new F150 changes the frequency the transmission shifts, which allows it to hold lower gear levels for longer."

The difference MIGHT be similar to my Camaro ---- if I move the shift selector to manual mode and DON'T touch the paddles, it's in sports mode. Essentially it shifts automatically, but it holds gears until damn near redline, then shifts so hard it about snaps your neck.
I've actually found the Sports Mode in the Camaro quite effective for playing in the twistys and unless I just feel like playing with the paddles, I just stick with that.

In my 12' Platinum EB, manual mode allowed me to use the button on the shifter to shift manually, but I don't recall it radically changing any auto shifts profiles.
Now if I used Tow / Haul mode, it certainly held gears longer, but not as aggressive as the Camaro's sports mode by any stretch.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So consensus is buy and enjoy it sounds like.

Taboma

Reaction score
So consensus is buy and enjoy it sounds like.

What were we talking about again ?? :confused: Hold on while I head to the top and back to page 1 for a reminder ----- Oh yeah, that 2016, I'm inclined to think the consensus was pretty favorable
thumbs up.png

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The trucks bitchin - watch it yank my boat up the palm springs grade lugging like a diesel.

This was basically a tow from the beach to temple bar Lake Mead.

NO other half ton pulls like this thing.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The trucks bitchin - watch it yank my boat up the palm springs grade lugging like a diesel.

This was basically a tow from the beach to temple bar Lake Mead.

NO other half ton pulls like this thing.

Anything done to it or completely stock?

The one I am looking at has the max trailer package, with 3.55's e locker. Truck is on 35's. It drove really nice. I wish it had the 36 gallon tank.

Taboma

Reaction score

The one I am looking at has the max trailer package, with 3.55's e locker. Truck is on 35's. It drove really nice. I wish it had the 36 gallon tank.
36 gallon tank is awesome, right up until you pump 30+ gallons into it :eek:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
36 gallon tank is awesome, right up until you pump 30+ gallons into it :eek:

I am going to put 34 into mine on the way home today. But that will get me about 500 miles out of a tank. Before I moved, I filled up once a month, now its every 2 weeks.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have the 36 gallon tank. If I keep it at 70-75 I can go from south oc to havasu and back on a tank

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have the 36 gallon tank. If I keep it at 70-75 I can go from south oc to havasu and back on a tank

When I was living in Flagstaff going to Anaheim to visit the lady, it was always a game to fill up at the stations on 95 and make it back there so I didn't have to touch a CA gas station. Worked pretty well most of the time.

Taboma

Reaction score
I agree, had it on my 12' Platinum as well. Especially nice around town when I can go a very long time between refills --- but still, watching the $$$$ roll, brings you back to the reality, you're truck is getting amazing gas mileage, just one big-ass tank :(

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I agree, had it on my 12' Platinum as well. Especially nice around town when I can go a very long time between refills --- but still, watching the $$$$ roll, brings you back to the reality, you're truck is getting amazing gas mileage, just one big-ass tank :(

I always laugh when I am filling up at costco and the car behind me waits until I'm done instead of going around to the open pump because they think I am almost done. We still have 20 gallons to go, Sally

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I always laugh when I am filling up at costco and the car behind me waits until I'm done instead of going around to the open pump because they think I am almost done. We still have 20 gallons to go, Sally
That happens to me a lot

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Stock as a rock FX4 373 truck, - the 26 gallon tank was kinda weak, and the woofer glued to the back seat floor sucked - aside from that - thing was tits.

UD

spectras only

Reaction score
Stock as a rock FX4 373 truck, - the 26 gallon tank was kinda weak, and the woofer glued to the back seat floor sucked - aside from that - thing was tits.
UD, what year was your FX? My 2014 Lariat's woofer is bolted to the floor.

Last edited:

stoker2001

Reaction score
I have a 13 with 115k on the clock. No problems at all. Mine is also programmed, intake and new wastegates. I running 565lb ft to the wheels and 495hp to the wheels. It flat out hauls ass. My truck will beat Camero’s and 5.0 mustangs from 0-80. Tows like a desiel as well. I love my truck. I run a catch can as well to fix the condensation issues with the intercooler. Also change plugs every 40k miles.

I wouldn’t hesitate owning one!
what power gains you achieve with those mods?565LB to wheels is:eek:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
UD, what year was your FX? My 16 Lariat's woofer is bolted to the floor.

This was the first year I think 2011.
It was a buds - I got to use it whenever I wanted.
Same deal wi another bud that had a 355 truck
I took each truck on the same trip.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
And from Desert Center to Parker - truck is GOLDEN.
Cruising in silence under sustained load and heat.

You cant make a speakerphone call in an NA truck under this condition that doenst sound like a bad jack in the box.

They are all having to start shifting down and rev both up to make the power - makes it harder to sneak to the river.

Ive got other v8 and V10 for that matter- I can hear that really rumble (interesting how the ilmor 710 sounds way better than the car) -

I'll take a quiet truck and leave the noise to the kids in this domain.

Last edited:

Mays351

Reaction score
what power gains you achieve with those mods?565LB to wheels is:eek:
I have a 13 with 115k on the clock. No problems at all. Mine is also programmed, intake and new wastegates. I running 565lb ft to the wheels and 495hp to the wheels. It flat out hauls ass. My truck will beat Camero’s and 5.0 mustangs from 0-80. Tows like a desiel as well. I love my truck. I run a catch can as well to fix the condensation issues with the intercooler. Also change plugs every 40k miles.

Mine always trips my buddies out, that little v6 will roast 37’s for as long as it wants lol

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Mine always trips my buddies out, that little v6 will roast 37’s for as long as it wants lol
Yep, it trips people out when I gas it from the light and drag race it! Puts you in your seat. My favorite is when I race a as camaro and we’re doing 80 and I’m still right with him and he looks over like wtf the wooooosh from the wastegates lol

riverroyal

Reaction score
Big tank also. Fill up gets me about 510 miles.
Mine has every tow option ford offers. Back up thing. Self park. 360 cameras. Wish i had something heavy to tow!
20180514_174101.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Do you have any lights on the dash - anything to trigger an alert at a smog station?

UD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Actually, my car sounds mucho better since I removed the cats;) what you all think?
The 708 cam in the 1996-1999's have a better sound with no cats and the puny single muffler replaced with through Magnaflows!:)

That is the best sounding Viper I’ve ever heard.

dp85tona

Two strokes is enough
Reaction score
Looking at a 2016.

What do you guys like and dislike about them?
I have a 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost. The truck now has 130,000 and it has held up very well. If i was in the market for a 1/2 ton truck would buy one for a personal truck anyday. There is a difference in the seat form from the cloth seats to the leather (leather is much more comfortable since it has a better structure to the foam from what i have seen). Pulls great and im averaging 17 mpg with alot of freeway driving around 85mph and a fair amount of idling at farm fields. I have stock sized tires though.