WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

3000 Horse Power Boom

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Close call, glad no one was hurt.

I saw some pictures on instagram, dude's entire arm from hand to t-shirt sleeve was torched pretty good, top layer skin peeling off.

Lucky that is all that happened, damn lucky he didn't take a dive jumping off the trailer in the chaos. All things considered he made on hell of a getaway.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Kind of surprised they don’t have a air blocking plate built-in for when it ran away, or maybe not enough time to react to it?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I don't think it ran away, i think the mains all gave up and the block and everything attached moved upwards instead of the pistons moving downwards 😂
Yeah, I’m not sure, but it sure sounded like it picked up some RPM real quick and then kaboom, it would be interesting to find out. Must be some thing that’s happened before with that kind a competition, judging by all the fire extinguishers they had nearby.👍🏽

bonesfab

Reaction score
The block split above the mains. The crank is still in the truck but the head and turbos cleared the roof line. I like the intact piston sitting on the dyno afterwards. When you push something that was factory rated at 300hp to 3000hp shit happens.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The block split above the mains. The crank is still in the truck but the head and turbos cleared the roof line. I like the intact piston sitting on the dyno afterwards. When you push something that was factory rated at 300hp to 3000hp shit happens.
This is the one I was looking for when I found the Duramax one, Man there’s a lot of people out there blowing up stuff.😊

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not sure, but it sure sounded like it picked up some RPM real quick and then kaboom, it would be interesting to find out. Must be some thing that’s happened before with that kind a competition, judging by all the fire extinguishers they had nearby.👍🏽

I have quite a bit of time on a chassis dyno, both operating and tuning, you will bring a steady load in and hold it at that speed, then the dyno will release at a given acceleration rate, this is where you measure the power curve across RPM ranges. On big ass horsepower like this that sweep happens pretty fast. So from that they Dyno pull looked perfectly normal in that respect.

Found a different view but wow I don’t know what kind of RPM those little diesels are supposed to turn.

A lot more than stock to make 3000hp.

Quick little explanation
Horsepower matches Torque at 5,252 RPM per the mathematics. Torque is the measure of instantaneous force, and horsepower is the ability to apply that force over time. Think of torque like the strength of a single firing event, and horsepower is how many of those events you can produce in a given time period. At half of 5252 RPM, ~2600ish you would have to make 6,000 ft lbs to make 3,000hp, and likewise the opposite at twice 5252 RPM so 10,500 you would only need 1,500 ft lbs to make 3,000 hp.

I don't know much about what they do with these diesels, so maybe someone can chime in but i would guess they are spinning north of 5000rpm to get that power

wzuber

Reaction score
Found this video also so the Duramax haters can have a good time. The fun starts at about the 1:50 mark.
holy shit that thing ran for ever out of control. I would have thought it would've welded the rods to the c.s. " Ya, we think there will likely be some bearing damage"....geee.......ya think? I like how they "were getting it ready for tomorrows event". Serious dedication to the sport right there.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have quite a bit of time on a chassis dyno, both operating and tuning, you will bring a steady load in and hold it at that speed, then the dyno will release at a given acceleration rate, this is where you measure the power curve across RPM ranges. On big ass horsepower like this that sweep happens pretty fast. So from that they Dyno pull looked perfectly normal in that respect.

Quick little explanation
Horsepower matches Torque at 5,252 RPM per the mathematics. Torque is the measure of instantaneous force, and horsepower is the ability to apply that force over time. Think of torque like the strength of a single firing event, and horsepower is how many of those events you can produce in a given time period. At half of 5252 RPM, ~2600ish you would have to make 6,000 ft lbs to make 3,000hp, and likewise the opposite at twice 5252 RPM so 10,500 you would only need 1,500 ft lbs to make 3,000 hp.

I don't know much about what they do with these diesels, so maybe someone can chime in but i would guess they are spinning north of 5000rpm to get that power

From my understanding they are spinning them 5-6000 rpm. Cp Carillo makes a piston and rod kit that takes two pounds off each rod and piston combo.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
From my understanding they are spinning them 5-6000 rpm. Cp Carillo makes a piston and rod kit that takes two pounds off each rod and piston combo.
Crazy, the old 6.2’s and 6.5’s from the 80s we’re spinning around 3200 rpm if I remember correctly. Holy chit 😱

DaveH

Reaction score

Quick little explanation

oh its real easy......bet they were running 100lbs of boost or more.

DaveH

Reaction score
Yeah just not at 2500 rpm, i don't think they are making 6000 ft lbs 😂 😂
dunno but with these crazy compound setups these guys have.....would not be suprised.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
This is why I’ve stopped tuning and twinning my Duramax trucks. Stock is fine for me now. Don’t want to spend $30K when I blow the motor sky high or burn the truck down due to runaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manxman

Reaction score
This is the one I was looking for when I found the Duramax one, Man there’s a lot of people out there blowing up stuff.😊
This is Lavon from firepunk diesel. They are always pushing the limits. Super nice guy though. Used to sell him lights several years ago.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
In one of those vids somebody claims 120+lbs of boost.
Guy at work has one making 1500 hp and he has the north side of 40 on a 6 cylinder Dodge.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Both of my compound turbo Cummins make around 60 psi. That one that made 3000 was probably over 150 psi boost.
I had to look up Compound boost. LOL. Similar to the 2 stroke Detroit's with an 871 and turbos.
Those turbo packages are priced really cheap.
I guess the rest is spent on injectors, pump and rotating assemblies. I find the diesel craze for HP very interesting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Tractor pull guys have the disease just like the 1/4 mile guys and the rest.
Can't help the sickness. :p
Only time I've seen meltdowns like that have been pullers. Seen a video of a JD losing the topend as an assembly, and driving the front wheels over it:oops:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I had to look up Compound boost. LOL. Similar to the 2 stroke Detroit's with an 871 and turbos.
Those turbo packages are priced really cheap.
I guess the rest is spent on injectors, pump and rotating assemblies. I find the diesel craze for HP very interesting.

The old 2steoke Detroits needed the blower to run, they would not run without one. The blower is what creates the crankcase pressure in a 2stroke diesel, generally very low psi. Its more about moving the air rather than pressurizing it. The turbo was added for the performance.

In the new volvo marine engines, even though they are 4stroke. The superchargers are there for kind of the same thing. Because they built them with a relatively low compression ratio, the engines require a supercharger to generate enough cylinder pressure for combustion at lower rpms until the turbo can build enough boost to take over at which point a clutch will disengage the supercharger.

On diesels that use them, superchargers are a necessity to run. They are not there for power adding purposes.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
With this kind of HP, the fire extinguishers are ALWAYS near by. The RPM spike was the nitrous hit.

The big boys are turning them to 6k or very close these days.

oh its real easy......bet they were running 100lbs of boost or more.
I bet closer to 200psi. We were making 150psi at 1000hp back in 2005.
Edge.jpg

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
With this kind of HP, the fire extinguishers are ALWAYS near by. The RPM spike was the nitrous hit.

The big boys are turning them to 6k or very close these days.

I bet closer to 200psi. We were making 150psi at 1000hp back in 2005.
View attachment 924642
Had no idea they used to nitrous, I just assumed propane injection. No wonder it went kaboom😂

JD D05

Reaction score
Had no idea they used to nitrous, I just assumed propane injection. No wonder it went kaboom😂

They have been using nitrous since around 2000 my buddy was the first one to try it or one of the first.

JD D05

Reaction score
The old 2steoke Detroits needed the blower to run, they would not run without one. The blower is what creates the crankcase pressure in a 2stroke diesel, generally very low psi. Its more about moving the air rather than pressurizing it. The turbo was added for the performance.

In the new volvo marine engines, even though they are 4stroke. The superchargers are there for kind of the same thing. Because they built them with a relatively low compression ratio, the engines require a supercharger to generate enough cylinder pressure for combustion at lower rpms until the turbo can build enough boost to take over at which point a clutch will disengage the supercharger.

On diesels that use them, superchargers are a necessity to run. They are not there for power adding purposes.

Are you saying these high HP diesels use superchargers?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Are you saying these high HP diesels use superchargers?

No. Somebody was comparing the compound boosting turbos to that of a Detroit. I was explaining the difference of dual turbos vs a turbo over supercharger. Completely different reasons and applications for use.

JD D05

Reaction score
No. Somebody was comparing the compound boosting turbos to that of a Detroit. I was explaining the difference of dual turbos vs a turbo over supercharger. Completely different reasons and applications for use.

Ok gotcha. A few guys tried it but it never worked well.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Propane works ok for lower HP trucks. Back when a Ford 7.3 made 160hp, the propane was worth another 75 or so. As you added power, the propane did less and less.

Nitrous didn't come around in the diesel performance world until the early 2000's (from my experience) when we started to have enough fuel to take advantage of it. In 2000, a 300hp Dodge/Cummins was almost unheard of. By 2002, not many were making more than the 740hp Diesel Dynamics put down at the May Madness TDR event. The truck made 600ish on fuel only and 740 with nitrous if memory serves. In this video, we were in the finale against Jim Fuller running another 700+hp Cummins. He was running slicks in 2WD and we were running standard AT's in 4WD.

Later, we used nitrous to help spool big turbos. In the video below, about 32 seconds in, you can hear the RPM jump a little as we used a small amount of nitrous to help get the turbos to light, then at about 36 seconds, we used a second small hit. They were different sizes and I could pick which size to use first. If we used too big of a hit, it would "put the fire out" and puff white smoke and cough...kinda like this blowup video showed before the final event.