WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

300xs gear cable troubles?

Trevor

Reaction score
Just bought a new to me eliminator daytona 22 with a 300xs on it. I was out on the lake yesterday testing props and getting a feel for the boat. It goes into gear in forward and reverse awesome no problems, what i noticed though is on heavy acceleration the gear shifter wants to pull towards neutral. It never popped out if gear or anything it just worried me because you can watch it fall a little bit and it becomes hard to push it back up all the way while under acceleration. Hopefully its a out of adjustment cable. This is from my rookie research im no merc mechanic. Hopefully someone has dealt with this. Thank you!

RCDave

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. Had Fallon Marine look at it. They checked cable adjustments and it was in spec. I have an offshore shifter on mine. They adusted the detent on the shifter and the problem went away

Trevor

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. Had Fallon Marine look at it. They checked cable adjustments and it was in spec. I have an offshore shifter on mine. They adusted the detent on the shifter and the problem went away

Can you send me a PM please!

Trevor

Reaction score
Can anyone help me to adjust the detent on my shifter, i believe that is the problem.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Keep in mind the shifter nor the cable are there to hold the lower in gear. determine first if the lower gearcase is completing its shift and the cable is installed in the center of clutch dog travel. detents in control boxes are there to give the operator the feel of a complete shift.

Trevor

Reaction score
Keep in mind the shifter nor the cable are there to hold the lower in gear. determine first if the lower gearcase is completing its shift and the cable is installed in the center of clutch dog travel. detents in control boxes are there to give the operator the feel of a complete shift.

Thank you for the response. How would i go about that? Sorry im very handy but this is my first 300xs.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
disconnect the shift cable, rotate the propeller shaft and move the shift lever from fwd/neutral/rev a few times to get an idea where neutral is. this centers the clutch dog in the lower. put the control gear shifter in the neutral position, back at the engine, drop the cable end eye over the pin on the shift lever, adjust the cable end as necessary. now your control is "timed" properly to the shift lever. If the issue still exists, remove the shift cable from the engine shift lever, shift it into fwd and run it, does the lever still creep back towards neural? if so, the is an issue in the lower.

Trevor

Reaction score
disconnect the shift cable, rotate the propeller shaft and move the shift lever from fwd/neutral/rev a few times to get an idea where neutral is. this centers the clutch dog in the lower. put the control gear shifter in the neutral position, back at the engine, drop the cable end eye over the pin on the shift lever, adjust the cable end as necessary. now your control is "timed" properly to the shift lever. If the issue still exists, remove the shift cable from the engine shift lever, shift it into fwd and run it, does the lever still creep back towards neural? if so, the is an issue in the lower.
Awesome information, thank you so much!!