WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

35mm SLR

500bbc

Reaction score
Anyone have any use for 35MM anymore?

spectras only

Reaction score
Nope. You'd have to use your brain to set din, aperture, speed and manually focus to be creative to get a decent shot. Also, finding film is problematic. Kodak has film though for it. People shoot thousands frames with their fancy digital cameras just to get maybe one decent picture,lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I’ve still got bags of manual 35mm body’s and lens that made me a photographer. It won’t do what some wife with an iPhone on burst will. I remember my first car show with a cheap digital and I still had the film mentality of “I only have 3rolls”. Wait, I have 750 shots? Made editing a bitch lol

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Nope. You'd have to use your brain to set din, aperture, speed and manually focus to be creative to get a decent shot. Also, finding film is problematic. Kodak has film though for it. People shoot thousands frames with their fancy digital cameras just to get maybe one decent picture,lol

You still have to do all that stuff with a Digital SLR, you just don't have to worry about buying or developing the film 😂

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Lot's of people still shoot film.

We process at least 1000 - 1500 rolls per day in our facility. Many people prefer the analog look over digital capture.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I’ve still got bags of manual 35mm body’s and lens that made me a photographer. It won’t do what some wife with an iPhone on burst will. I remember my first car show with a cheap digital and I still had the film mentality of “I only have 3rolls”. Wait, I have 750 shots? Made editing a bitch lol

A little off topic and you probably know this, but Nikon lens mounts are the same on SLR and digital SLR cameras and I expect Canon and the others are too.
If you've got a high quality old lense in your bag, put it on a dSLR camera and figure out how to use it. I kind of liked doing it.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I still have a really nice Nikon for film with multiple lenses if I want to go play photographer. The phone can catches everything else.

500bbc

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just spring cleaning looking at the camera, four lenses, case, tripod, even a roll of film thinking, trash? $$ If someone wanted to buy it?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Camera tech has gotten nutso.
Sony just released the 'A1' Camera . . . 50 megapixels and 30 frames per second . . . $6500.00
Psycho.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just spring cleaning looking at the camera, four lenses, case, tripod, even a roll of film thinking, trash? $$ If someone wanted to buy it?
Post it up on craigslist . . . someone will scoop it up I'm sure.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I have a shelf in the garage full of camera gear. Super 8 camera and projector. 35mm cameras, lenses and motor drive.
8mm and SD digital movie cameras, Film developing equipment... just don't have the heart to toss 'em.

Now, like everyone else, I just take snaps with my phone, Google uploads them to the cloud, done.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Lot's of people still shoot film.

We process at least 1000 - 1500 rolls per day in our facility. Many people prefer the analog look over digital capture.

Thank you for the info. I am going to start using my Canon A1 again. I have had it since 1976 when I was in the Air Force.
It has been a great Camera over the years and pretty much straight forward as far as taking photos.
I had some great photos of Indy in 1980, numerous air shows, AC Shelby Cobras running at Willow Springs. The last River Side 400.
I have let numerous friends use it to film me when I was playing in Rugby matches and tournaments.
It is hard for me to let go of stuff. :)

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
HS
that 300 is worth bank.
Diligence before selling !
I can imagine. Was holding onto it when I bought my wife an SLR....but I ended up getting her a Nikon. Got her a Nikon kit from Costco...came with a 300 for that. Shit, she doesn't even use it. She just uses her phone...lol. I should try to sell all the old Canon Rebel stuff.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Camera is probably worth some money, lenses definitely are, im pretty sure they work on either a digital or film frame.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
My grandpa bought what was a really high end Nikon and all the gear to go with it when he retired back in '87 or so....I remember him not letting me touch it when I was a kid. After he died I brought the whole pile down to a local camera place (where I'd bought a few thou worth of stuff in the past) and they offered me $100 for everything. I kept it and finally found someone who still liked 35mm and handed it to them last week. What a shame. That camera cost grandpa $584 in '87 (per the handwritten invoice from Ritz camera).

spectras only

Reaction score
I've been a camera tech from 1971 to 1998 in Vancouver. Was a certified Canon tech to run authorized service. Fixed pretty much every camera ever built. When the Canon EOS line up started, I hated the fact, programming of the different models required a bunch of different cords and interface cables and instruments to work on all of them them. When you're an authorized service provider for warranty as well, it sucked balls to get paid flat rates from Canon. Some 6K dollar pro lenses flat repair was around 80 dollars and took a whole day taking them apart, service it and put back together. The cameras like cheap Rebel and up to the EOS 1 were even less between 35-65 dollars. Towards the end of my camera business days, I sad fuck it and started sending the warranty repairs to the Calgary head office to deal with. I made good money on professional camera repairs like the Hasselblad, Mamiya, Bronica , Rolleiflex, Leica pro cameras, those were popular with pro photographers. Nikon owners were appreciative to pay decent money for their cameras serviced too, including the Nikonos diver cameras.
Got a funny story about Canon cameras. First camera ever come out using three computer chips was the Canon AE1. Great camera. Next model the AE1 Program was more advanced and the A1 was the top of the line automated.
Guy came in with his A! with broken take up sprocket that's advancing the film to the take up clutch. To replace the sprocket, the entire shutter mechanism needed to be dismantled from the body. Older SLR's like Canon FTb series, it could be done easier without complete dismantling. Complete overhaul pricing charge needed to be estimated and it did come with 6 mth warranty. So, this guy who was a 747 airline pilot just about shit his pants when I gave him the quote of 85 dollars and 20 dollars for the sprocket. He said it shouldn't cost more than 20-30 dollars to repair the camera and just wanted the sprocket so he could fix it himself. I wasn't allowed to sell parts but I said to him, I'll sell you the part only and good luck, haha. Just before he left the store, told him, I hope you won't try fixing your plane. :p 😂

Last edited:

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I found 2 rolls of 110 in a box. Where do you get that shit developed?
We can do it, or outlab it to have it processed. To be honest, unless 110 has been stored really well, it won't look too good. There is actually alot of interest in 110 format now and a couple of companies have started making that format again. Making the film is the easiest part, its the cartridge and backing paper that was a hold up for awhile.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
To get an idea of what your gear will be worth, reach out to these guys: https://www.keh.com/ Some stuff is worth decent money, many not so much.

Or, if anybody has any Leica stuff, let me know. My business partner collects them. He gets most of them from Japan as the Japanese really take care of their stuff and Leica made a lot of special editions for the Japanese market.

For the mainstream Nikon and Canon stuff, it will help if it was a high end or specialty unit (Nikon F series, Nikonos, Titanium bodies Canon F1, etc.) Also, any autofocus medium format camera is hot now, primarily Contax.

For lenses, any fast glass is most desirable (large max. aperture)

spectras only

Reaction score
Old negative film usually won't turn out good unless kept in a fridge. How ever, photoshop can do miracles. New technology can modify pictures, ,movies to acceptable quality for nostalgia buffs and for restoring old family shots and portrait.https://www.analog.cafe/r/where-to-develop-film-in-vancouver-qrww

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
We can do it, or outlab it to have it processed. To be honest, unless 110 has been stored really well, it won't look too good. There is actually alot of interest in 110 format now and a couple of companies have started making that format again. Making the film is the easiest part, its the cartridge and backing paper that was a hold up for awhile.
Wife says it was from our wedding, so just wanted to see if there is anything on them . How much do you guys charge?

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Wife says it was from our wedding, so just wanted to see if there is anything on them . How much do you guys charge?
We do charge a premium for 110 film. The least expensive is $15.00 per roll and that includes developing, scanning, DVD and a web upload. Prints can also be ordered at the time of developing, or later from your albums.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Old negative film usually won't turn out good unless kept in a fridge. How ever, photoshop can do miracles. New technology can modify pictures, ,movies to acceptable quality for nostalgia buffs and for restoring old family shots and portrait.https://www.analog.cafe/r/where-to-develop-film-in-vancouver-qrww
Black and white film holds up the best with age. We often get B/W film from the 1940's and up that is amazingly good. Old color negative film (mid-1970's and older) that was C-22 process now needs to be developed as black and white as the color chemistry is no longer available and the results are generally fair at best. Film from the 1980s can be decent depending on storage. Film from the 1990s and later is usually acceptable quality if the storage conditions are decent.

If you have really old film that requires a process that we don't do (C-41, B/W & E-6), there is a lab in Canada that we refer alot of customers to: https://www.filmrescue.com/