WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

3M vs Meguiar’s compounds

EBT531

Reaction score
Anyone have better experience between 3M marine compound and finishing material vs meguiars marine restoration system? Looking to polish up the boat while it’s still cool enough out. Mostly white with some darker graphics, some oxidation on the sides but nothing horrible.

I’ve been checking reviews but it seems like you find people in the reviews for each that claim they had better results with the other product. Thanks!

Backlash

Reaction score
I've had good luck with both products. I would start with the "3M Finesse it" and a machine for heavy oxidation or scratches and then switch to Meguiars for the final polishing and waxing. Never had a problem with either to be honest with you. I also like the Mothers products too.

fishing fool

Reaction score

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have only used Meguiars so I cant offer a comparison

The Meguiars is good and I have been happy with it

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The Meguires Ultimate Compound is pretty good, but if you have any heavy oxidation, I really like Presta Super Cut compound. Meguires Flagship wax has been my go-to for a few years and does a great job.

Icky

Reaction score
3m perfect it is multiple steps, and they have different pads for each step

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have the dewalt variable speed buffer and 3M. Still have 1 side to go. More work than I thought but works great.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Any product is only as good as the guy who's using it...

Detailing anything is somewhat of an art.

I'd probably ruin any finish I'd to do! :p

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Any product is only as good as the guy who's using it...

Detailing anything is somewhat of an art.

I'd probably ruin any finish I'd to do! :p

I have always used the products my gel coat guy and upholstery guy have recommenced.
They have worked for me and I will continue to use the recommended products. To each their own.

Maintaining a boat can be expensive and if not maintained properly very expensive.
A tip for all boaters is to remove your seat cushions after every outing and use an air compressor and nozzle to remove the sand/silica from the stitched seams.
Sand/Silica are actually fine particles of glass and it is always in the air. Another reason to use a quality air filter.
YMMV ;)

wzuber

Reaction score
3m #105 &205.. both excellent products when used individually or together as a surface restoration system. You can actually do paint or gel coat correction with this system when used correctly with a orbital buffer and the correct foam buffing or polishing pads. (buffing= compounding to remove scratches and/or heavy oxidization. Polishing=sealing and waxing for final finish) The #105 product will take out 1200 grit sanding scratches when used with the correct pad...micro fiber or foam. The 205 product will purrrrfect the surface and prepair it for final sealing/ waxing. I had great example pics. on my phone before I dropped it and broke the LCD.