WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 Door Bronco vs Gladiator wind noise

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Hello all!

I know many of you have had both. We recently sold our Gladiator Mojave; absolutely loved that thing and miss it tremendously. However, I was driving it on some long trips to go camp, etc and the wind noise was awful. I even did the Hot Heads sound deadening headliners and still loud. So loud, it was hard to talk on the phone or your passenger!

Now interested in buying another vehicle for adventures. We don't do rock crawling or need the Raptor version, but love to be out in the boondocks and take dirtroads a 100 miles from nowhwre. Been looking at a new 2024 Bronco and going to test drive today. However, deciding if I should even waste my time if its gonna be similar to our Gladiator.

The Bronco is all I am interested in if I decided to pull the trigger.

Thanks for input and have a great day.

jesco

Reaction score
Wife drives a hard top. It has def wind noise when you get up above 45/50ish mph... not extreme loud, but there is def noise from the back windows. Its fun to drive, and does really good on the moderate trails Ive had it on (went up to top of Saddleback here in OC). As a grocery getter she loves it and the wind noise doesn't bother her because she only drives it on local streets that 40/45 mph and rarely on the freeway. She doesn't drive much farther than 10 miles from the house, hahaha.
68367635015__31A61B4D-8F12-4737-8DCE-853BAF6BD747.jpg

gqchris

Reaction score
Hello all!

I know many of you have had both. We recently sold our Gladiator Mojave; absolutely loved that thing and miss it tremendously. However, I was driving it on some long trips to go camp, etc and the wind noise was awful. I even did the Hot Heads sound deadening headliners and still loud. So loud, it was hard to talk on the phone or your passenger!

Now interested in buying another vehicle for adventures. We don't do rock crawling or need the Raptor version, but love to be out in the boondocks and take dirtroads a 100 miles from nowhwre. Been looking at a new 2024 Bronco and going to test drive today. However, deciding if I should even waste my time if its gonna be similar to our Gladiator.

The Bronco is all I am interested in if I decided to pull the trigger.

Thanks for input and have a great day.
I have a softtop and it sucks at HWY speeds. You must get a hardtop to be able to tolerate if it bugs ya now.

I love the Bronco otherwise. I have a Badlands. Has everything for the trail!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Wife drives a hard top. It has def wind noise when you get up above 45/50ish mph... not extreme loud, but there is def noise from the back windows. Its fun to drive, and does really good on the moderate trails Ive had it on (went up to top of Saddleback here in OC). As a grocery getter she loves it and the wind noise doesn't bother her because she only drives it on local streets that 40/45 mph and rarely on the freeway. She doesn't drive much farther than 10 miles from the house, hahaha. View attachment 1387604

Great looking. White is what I want and I love the wheels. The problem is, we go toncentral Nevada and Utah. The drive on the highway can take 2 to 5 hours one way. Windnoise just gets super annoying. Id give up fuel economy or windnoise but not both (Gladiator sucks on both accounts).

I know we just cant have it all. I,m sure I could go buy a new 4runner and it will do everything I need with minimal noise or a Tahoe with some offroad tires, but that's juat not what I want. We have a new 2024 quiet bug SUV and I hate it. So boring but I do like the quiet and mileage. Im probably juat asking for too much. But you'd think in 2024, you could have a super cool looking off-road capable vehicle that isn't crazy loud.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Great looking. White is what I want and I love the wheels. The problem is, we go toncentral Nevada and Utah. The drive on the highway can take 2 to 5 hours one way. Windnoise just gets super annoying. Id give up fuel economy or windnoise but not both (Gladiator sucks on both accounts).

I know we just cant have it all. I,m sure I could go buy a new 4runner and it will do everything I need with minimal noise or a Tahoe with some offroad tires, but that's juat not what I want. We have a new 2024 quiet bug SUV and I hate it. So boring but I do like the quiet and mileage. Im probably juat asking for too much. But you'd think in 2024, you could have a super cool looking off-road capable vehicle that isn't crazy loud.
If it has offroad tires and is shaped like a Shoe box with a 90 degree windshield angle . . . .it's gonna have wind noise / road noise.
No way around it.

2Driver

Reaction score
I had a Sadinator for 2 years. I had the headliners they are about worthless, lol unless you are the one selling $7 worth of carpet for $450. 😁

I tried like hell to pin point the wind noise source. I experimented with tape outside in places - nothing. One day my wife folded in the passenger side mirror and it went away by 70%.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I just drove both on the highway. I would say it's a draw. What is not even close is the way the Gladiator wanders all over the road and drove me nuts, the Bronco even on 35" tires has way better steering precision over the Jeep. The factory Jeep stereo does a better job at making okay sounds that drown out the wind noise.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score

Colorado ZR2

Taboma

Reaction score
I'd think a Ranger Tremor would be a essentially a Bronco with a bed that could be fitted with a shell and be a lot quieter. Obviously lacking the take-off parts if you're seeking an open offroad experience. Or spend big and opt for a Ranger Raptor for the big HP.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Landcruiser 200 series. Class, style, and performance! But you can't buy one new off the lot anymore....
100% this. If you don’t need a removable top, you will find no equal at any price. But nice ones still fetch big bucks.

For about half the price of a 200, look at a GX460- the 4Runners more refined cousin with a V8.

Buying new, I’d look at the new Landcruiser or Lexus equivalent- but you’re going to be back to LC200 money- and nothing compares to a 200 series LC.

I have a GX470, and it is quieter inside than a Jeep- even on BFG KM3s. A little underpowered for my tastes though. If I were doing it over, I’d start with a 460.

Edit: Also worth a look would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, but you are giving up a large amount of reliability compared to the Toyota/ Lexus offerings.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I just drove both on the highway. I would say it's a draw. What is not even close is the way the Gladiator wanders all over the road and drove me nuts, the Bronco even on 35" tires has way better steering precision over the Jeep. The factory Jeep stereo does a better job at making okay sounds that drown out the wind noise.

We never felt our Gladiator wandered. We went to 35" really good wheel and tire assemblies, so maybe that helped. It also had the super nice Fox shocks with remote reservoirs and it was such a great ride.

I drove a loaded Bronco this afternoon. I liked it a lot. The steering sure is heavier than our Gladiator which seemed odd. Other than that, it seemed pretty solid. The one I drove had the canvas front roof with the hard top the remaining two thirds. I would say it was slightly quieter than our Gladiator even with that roof set up. Maybe I am just telling myself that because I want a new car. haha.

They put my name on one coming in so I got first dibs on it. White with the Carbonized grey hard top with the head liner addition and a soft top as well., Sasquatch pack, 322A pack (dual zone, heated seats, 110 plug). Decently loaded. Can't believe how expensive they are though!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
100% this. If you don’t need a removable top, you will find no equal at any price. But nice ones still fetch big bucks.

For about half the price of a 200, look at a GX460- the 4Runners more refined cousin with a V8.

Buying new, I’d look at the new Landcruiser or Lexus equivalent- but you’re going to be back to LC200 money- and nothing compares to a 200 series LC.

I have a GX470, and it is quieter inside than a Jeep- even on BFG KM3s. A little underpowered for my tastes though. If I were doing it over, I’d start with a 460.

Edit: Also worth a look would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, but you are giving up a large amount of reliability compared to the Toyota/ Lexus offerings.

We have a new 2024 SUV that is all-wheel drive etc and capable enough for most things we'd ever do. Actually super popular with the overlanding crowd but it just doesn't do it for me.

I love Broncos and Jeeps but can't stand the wind noise and less than par fuel mileage. Kind of like dating a stripper; lots of fun but you wouldn't want to marry her.

boatpi

Reaction score
Broncos is fine. You do get a little noise out of the Tops in the front above about 60. If you’re worked on it you probably can get rid of 100%. It’s probably the seal the back I have no problem.

Paranoid is not unreasonable, but I want to take it across the country probably not because the seats are fine but beyond two hours or so it probably wouldn’t be the most comfortable cause they’re sort of short seats
That time is side of a mountain. I have a wild track model. Having had a Wrangler it’s a much updated version and smoother riding and more comfortable wrangler and you have footroom.

white tortilla

Reaction score
My uncle who has two new badlands Broncos just got one of these. Had a defender 90 when I was a kid. Sticker was 70k. Got it from Rusnak in Pasadena. I sat in it last week it’s pretty interesting inside.

IMG_1232.jpeg

boatpi

Reaction score
I would highly suggest if you buy one to get the Wildtrak model. It has most everything stock, Sasquatch wheels, etc, V-6. The 12" screen I believe in advanced package is now standard, if not get that. Should be around 67G or so. After 5,000 miles I am now getting 20 MPG easy mixed driving on regular gas. Also consider a used one, if i NV or AX, no sales tax. Mine had 1,200 miles on it. This one has my colors exacty https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...d320&zip=92649#listing=385279525/NONE/DEFAULT

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Broncos seem to be very hit and miss depending on the day they were built.

Soft tops are supposed to be terrible for wind noise and leaks.

No doubt the IFS will be better than a jeep on the freeway. If I was a smart man and had an extra 20K burning a whole in my pocket I would sell my rubicon and get a Bronco Raptor and leave it alone.

I have driven a couple of the standard Broncos on the street and they are nice. I have had some friends build them up and then sell them as the electronics have done some strange things on the rocks and freaked them out.

I would say look at the new Toyota Landcruiser as I think they would be perfect for overlanding and exploring but you will have to pay a premium as they are so new and hot.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well, I love it unfortunately. Really tried going into the purchase hoping I wouldn't like this thing, but that wasn't the case.

Its much, much quieter than my Gladiator that had 35s. I am not sure how people were saying they were similar, because I didn't gather that at all. It has the factory hard top with OE installed headliner. I put the aftermarket Hot Heads headliner kit that added even more sound deadening and it was still so fricken loud inside. Many times, you couldn't talk on hands free at 70MPH if there was a head wind.

Wife has not driven yet, so I had until this Monday to make the decision. Its a new 2024 2.7 and pretty loaded. Azure Gray (looks like a metallic version of the older Area 51 color) with the cut down looking steel front bumper which I wanted, heated seats, etc. Even has a super cool steel grate style table that folds down off of the back gate for camping or just hanging out to make lunch. Just wanted a decent off-road vehicle that looked cool (subjective) and one I didn't have to do much or anything to. Down the road, might do something, but honestly, it is fine for 99% of the stuff we would do, which is rough dirt roads in Nv, Utah and California.

I appreciate the mention of the Ranger with camper, Lexuit SUV or Landcruiser, but they just don't do much for me. We already have a new big 2024 SUV that is AWD that is boring as shit that I don't like. hahaha. Broncos and Jeeps are definitely aren't the vehicles that make a 100% sense when looking for a daily that checks every box, but they are cool in my eye and at my age, time to just have some fun with stuff even if it isn't the exact thing I should be buying.
20240614_163144.jpg

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Congrats! We bought a left over base model for $43k and love it too. Don't miss any of the options.

Love that color and really love the two door. Congrats!!! Unfortunately I need 4door for the room since this will be my main vehicle. That seems like a deal price wise. These things are way expensive for what you get!

When I ordered my Gladiator Mojave in 21 things were still a mess from all the Covid bs. I ordered white with white hard top and white fenders fully loaded. It kept getting delay after delay. Dealer had a customer fall out of a Hyrdo blue (similar to your color) with at least the color matched fenders, but a black top. I was not hot on it for some time, but it ended up being one of my favorite vehicles color wise and looked so cool in photos we were taking out on our travels.

Did you get the 2.3 or 2.7?

jesco

Reaction score
Well, I love it unfortunately. Really tried going into the purchase hoping I wouldn't like this thing, but that wasn't the case.

Its much, much quieter than my Gladiator that had 35s. I am not sure how people were saying they were similar, because I didn't gather that at all. It has the factory hard top with OE installed headliner. I put the aftermarket Hot Heads headliner kit that added even more sound deadening and it was still so fricken loud inside. Many times, you couldn't talk on hands free at 70MPH if there was a head wind.

Wife has not driven yet, so I had until this Monday to make the decision. Its a new 2024 2.7 and pretty loaded. Azure Gray (looks like a metallic version of the older Area 51 color) with the cut down looking steel front bumper which I wanted, heated seats, etc. Even has a super cool steel grate style table that folds down off of the back gate for camping or just hanging out to make lunch. Just wanted a decent off-road vehicle that looked cool (subjective) and one I didn't have to do much or anything to. Down the road, might do something, but honestly, it is fine for 99% of the stuff we would do, which is rough dirt roads in Nv, Utah and California.

I appreciate the mention of the Ranger with camper, Lexuit SUV or Landcruiser, but they just don't do much for me. We already have a new big 2024 SUV that is AWD that is boring as shit that I don't like. hahaha. Broncos and Jeeps are definitely aren't the vehicles that make a 100% sense when looking for a daily that checks every box, but they are cool in my eye and at my age, time to just have some fun with stuff even if it isn't the exact thing I should be buying.
View attachment 1388162
NICE!!! Congrats

HBCraig

Reaction score
I rented a gladiator with about 800 miles on it and it was windy AF at highway speeds

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well crazy week for me. We didn't buy that bluish one. Really wanted white.

Well, my father who loved the new Bronco passed away on Monday morning. It has been super rough on me. To get my my mind off shit and honor my dad, I said screw it and went and bought a new top of the line Wildtrack model. Has it all; B&O sound, lux package, leather etc. Its incredible. I looked at the Raptors but just couldn't justify 98k. I really like doing my own custom stuff and the Raptor is already done.

Did limo ceramic tint and a few other little things like the para-cord grab handles and a few other things. Will do some super trick wheels and such down thw road but for now it's perfect. My dad would have really loved it! Im so sad I can't give him a ride but he will always be my co-pilot.

Happy Independence Day. Hug and tell those loved ones you're thinking of them.

20240704_122348.jpg

I like the Wildtrack glare strip. Pretty cool.
20240704_122756.jpg
20240704_122316.jpg

Last edited:

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Sorry about your dad. My condolences go out to you and your family. Have fun making memories with the new ride.

boatpi

Reaction score
Smart move on Wildtrack, great vehicle, it is my daily driver.