WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 Door Sedan, What Would You Buy and Why?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I already have a Crew Cab Diesel, a Mini Van, and a Small 2 door commuter. The commuter will be used by my kids. I need a new car to commute in, and preferably one that is not bad to drive.;) I'm in this car for an average of 1 hour a day with good traffic, 2 easy with bad traffic. My family is 6, so no matter what, unless I go SUV or bigger, we all can't fit at once. So it is more of a personal preference having the 4 doors, but still will not be a primary family vehicle. I do need a larger trunk to carry Twinkies and shit around.

I'm still kind of wide open on my choices and I'd like to keep it under, or not much over, 40kish if possible. I've been eyeballing the following:
Cadillac CT5 6 cylinder
BWM 3 Series
Gensis G70
Dodge Charger (Way to COPish for me, but it still looks cool)
Chrysler 300 (Way too gangster... but still kinda cool)

And then my dumbass walked through Toyota today and started checking out their Camry's. Their hybrid can get over 50mpg.... in a full size 4dr sedan.... So then the sensible side of me starts leaning towards the Toyota.
What does the RDP brain trust think. I'll probably be picking something up in November or December.

Last edited:

RichieRich

Reaction score
the Lincoln Continentals are bad...probably over your budget though
LINCOLN.JPG

rlemn8r

Let's go to the river..
Reaction score
Genesis g70 is bad ass. Get the 3.3 v6 turbo, they haul ass. The 2.0 4 banger is kind of a dog. How about a widebody charger???

Reactions: t&y

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If it’s on your consideration list, may I suggest that you drive the Camry. It’s on a new, driver-focused platform and just might surprise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Just leased a Camry for the wife, very nice ride and quiet, not as powerful as the Avalon we turned in, but equal ride. Decided to scale back a little and get better mileage.

RodnJen

Reaction score
I haven’t driven the sedan but we recently picked up a Mazda SUV, really happy so far. Nice driving vehicles without breaking the bank.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Wife has a '13 Ford Taurus sel...100k trouble free miles. Bought it in April of '17, with 68k miles. Yes it was a rental (private fleet). Way more room than a Camry.

Dan'l

ssc

Reaction score
Hell, this is easy. Lexus pre owned certified vehicles. If you like the camry and like FWD the ES350. I prefer the f sport GS350--which is what I drive. Just bought my daughter a Cert Pre Owned rx350 last week. Paid $33,000 for a fully loaded rig with 32,000 miles. New they are over $50,000. Best pre owned cert program out there. You get the remainder of the 4 year new warranty and then an extra 2 years plus unlimited miles. That is better than a new lexus warranty. They also cover the next 4 services. You also get there 161 point survey. They usually install new brakes and tires. Plus lexus is usually number one in customer satisfaction and reliability.

Cheers, Steve

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The Charger is the obvious choice. Big, powerful and tire shredding fun.

The CT5 is an awesome car.

Not sure if you can find one but the Ford Fusion sport was a fun car. 325 horsepower all wheel drive.

They dropped the Turbo 2.5l from the Mazda CX9 into the Mazda 6. Really fun to drive car and surprisingly nice inside for the cost. Drive one before you buy a another badge that costs 20k more.

Every Hybrid that I have driven or been in is a complete dog. My brother looked damn hard at them and with a couple of people in them 0-60 is tomorrow afternoon. The Higher horsepower ones are fine but your jumping up in price from the Camry.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
New as in brand new is the plan. I've dealt with my share of used vehicles.

My current daily just turned 225K 08 Volkswagon. It's fun to drive, but zero amenity's. It will be a great car for the kids.

I'm thinking of pulling the mid life crisis excuse and going a bit extreme which was why I was looking at the SCAT pack Chargers. That would be a blast, but make no sense in the long run:cool:

My concern with the BMW's is the oil burning issue they seem to get around 60K. Not sure what it is, but my Bro-n-law has been through a handful of them that he purchased brand new. Other brother same issue on a used. Heard it was a common thing.

I'm real curious how the CT5s hold up over time. It is just a glorified Chevy after all😂

jperog

Reaction score
I have 3 BMWs that I rotate for cars "all 3 combined were less then a new truck". My favorite is 2016 B7 Alpina (600 hp AWD) and badass luxury. It is like a twin turbo charged couch. Mileage not so great, https://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2016-alpina-b7-ar170351.html The 2nd is a 2012 750i great car, great mileage, 100 mph at 2200 rpm and never gets old to me, the 3rd is what I run my dogs in 08' 750il again great car.

Joe

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Charger all the way, i had a RT and it was a great commuter, 50 miles each way, very comfortable, reliable, good mileage and fun to drive,

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I’m a bit partial to the Tesla Model 3.
It’s as roomy as the 06 330i I just sold. The trunk is quite a bit bigger. Oh, and it’s just as quick if not quicker.
Standard range, rear wheel drive stock rims is around 35,000.
Ours is long range all wheel drive. Around 50,000.
They both have basically same features except LR is around 300 mile range compared to 250ish range for SR.
Oh, and the LR is quite a bit quicker and has a better sound system.
1F59E41D-9213-4155-A759-8230AFA1D23B.jpeg

adam909

Reaction score
Im a big toyata fan when it comes to commuters. To me they seem to hold there value more when its time to sell.. If it was me with your family size seems like a mid size suv would be a more ideal. Toyota Highlander would be my choice.

Backlash

Reaction score
Skip the German garbage. Yeah, they are nice when they run, but when something doesn't work, it's going to cost you a fortune to repair it (If you buy certified pre-owned that is).

Pontiac G8 GT.

Drive it til the motor blows, then drop a replacement in for a few $$. 👍

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Or if you can find a good, used Chevy SS sedan. If new, the Lexus GS-F sedan is sweet. Oh, just reread OG post and $40 grand limit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I have 3 BMWs that I rotate for cars "all 3 combined were less then a new truck". My favorite is 2016 B7 Alpina (600 hp AWD) and badass luxury. It is like a twin turbo charged couch. Mileage not so great, https://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2016-alpina-b7-ar170351.html The 2nd is a 2012 750i great car, great mileage, 100 mph at 2200 rpm and never gets old to me, the 3rd is what I run my dogs in 08' 750il again great car.

Joe

No way the 3 7’s combined with one being a B7 is cheaper than an 80k truck.

Last edited:

squeezer

Reaction score
Not as flashy as a BMW or Mercedes, but If you want to go used "big car" luxury are gonna own it out of warranty and rack up some miles, my vote would be a used LS460 / 460L lexus

This👆🏿
Even the older 430’s are amazing cars to put miles on.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hell, this is easy. Lexus pre owned certified vehicles. If you like the camry and like FWD the ES350. I prefer the f sport GS350--which is what I drive. Just bought my daughter a Cert Pre Owned rx350 last week. Paid $33,000 for a fully loaded rig with 32,000 miles. New they are over $50,000. Best pre owned cert program out there. You get the remainder of the 4 year new warranty and then an extra 2 years plus unlimited miles. That is better than a new lexus warranty. They also cover the next 4 services. You also get there 161 point survey. They usually install new brakes and tires. Plus lexus is usually number one in customer satisfaction and reliability.

Cheers, Steve

This x1000

BMW is a lease only vehicle.

Anything by GM is crap, and the service will be even worse.

Dodge? Really? Even bigger crap than GM! Lol

Lexus has Always been the best bang for the buck. And probably always will be.

Note: I worked for BMW for 9 years and Lexus for 5 years.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Honda Accord

The Accord's motor and transmission are sourced from the U.S. and Japan. Final assembly takes place in Marysville, Ohio, where the Accord has been assembled since November 1982, according to Honda. There are 680,000 vehicles a year manufactured at the Marysville Auto Plant. ...Feb 19, 2015

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just get the german car and enjoy it! This is a boating forum, we all know anything that's any fun requires maintenance lol

No doubt the most fun to drive. Just lease one. You don't wanna own one out of warranty! LoL

530RL

Reaction score
If one wants a solid car that is much less expensive than a Toyota or Honda might I suggest as an alternative not yet discussed, a new Mazda.

By far the most underrated brand. Certainly not the resale of a Toyota but if you are going to put a couple hundred thousand miles on it, a very dependable economic choice.

badgas

Reaction score
Do you want to save a LOT of money and hassle ?

I'm a huge Toyota Fan. We have a 2011 FJ cruiser 88K miles, 2006 Tacoma 130K miles, 2014 Highlander 80K miles and my daily driver a 2012 Camry SE V6 110K miles. I also sold a 2006 4runner last year with 135K miles.

Other than oil, filters, tires, and brakes the only repair was an alternator and fan blower on the tacoma at 90K miles.

Toyota is beyond dependable. Yeah my Camry is NOT cool and blah blah but I don't care the V6 has plenty of power to get me out of trouble and gets 24 mpg average and that is fine for me. I have friends with all the hot shot cars (Tesla, BMW, mustangs, etc.) that "compensate" and stand out but I'm 52 married for 26 years and could give a crap about the bling of my daily driver.

Toyota is the way to go ! Save your money other cool stuff like Boats, Guns, Bbq's , swimming pools , river homes , off road toys etc.

Happy shopping !

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I just bought a new 2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody. It has about 950 miles on it. I haven't even opened it up all the way yet but it is a beast. It is by far the best bang for your buck when comes to fast, V8 sedans. BMW, Audi, Cadillac, etc. don't have anything in this price range that matches up.

Also, it is massive. 197" is bigger than most sedans and small SUVs except for the giant luxury sedans.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Did you know Lexus and Toyota are both built here in the US today? BMW and MB both are building a few models here too.

Where do you think the money goes? Yep back to Toyota in Japan. And bmw in the motherland. They are not American companies. Period.

Dan'l

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I listen to a pod cast of one of the biggest wholesale car buyer in the country. John Clay Wolfe out of Fort Worth. He is on Saturday mornings. He just signed with KLOS in LA and will air starting this Saturday.

Anyway he says don't buy anything German out of warranty. KIA and Hyundai are disposable cars. Stick with the honda's, Toyos and mid price american brands. https://www.johnclaywolfe.com/

Bear Down

Reaction score
We own 2 cars... 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 Touring... Top of the line and car is awesome. Went from A V-6 accord to the 2.0 and the lag isn't really noticeable. Quality of interior and exterior is pretty awesome. Digital Dash and Screen is great...Only negative, is shitty stereo.. .My 2010 Accord was much better. But there is a hint of luxury when your in the accord, with interior accent lights and Honda-esq trim/leather seats LED Headlights/Fog lights, its a little rocket (2.0t) We also just purchased a 2018 Mazda 6, no where as nice as the Honda accord on the interior, more basic instrumentation and basic screen, power isn't greatest compared to the accord, but what is different is that the seats are stupid comfortable, very similar to my FIL Cadillac believe it or not...even the floor mats are padded and comfy on the feet. Also the exterior paint quality is really great, I wash my own cars and you can tell the difference on the paint quality on Honda v Mazda...Not to say the Honda is bad, but you can just feel/see the difference. We really took a deep look at many cars before purchasing the Mazda (august 2020) Toyota/Nissan/Chevy.. Mazda was the clear choice, we just didn't want 2 Honda accords..

Good luck

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I know of five peers in the scat chargers. They are all happy with them but yeah I’d not wanna drive what I drove at work crowd. Hence while I’ll never own a GMC, lol, spent the last 11 years in one way too much lol.

81Sprint

Reaction score
A BMW out of warranty is a time bomb..... Take your chances... I've had 2 and my father has had 3.
Agreed, we bought ours from Carmax and got bumper to bumper extended warranty. When the warranty ran out, car was sold.