WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 point harness in a jeep?

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Alright brain trust, what's the verdict? do I need to put 4 point harnesses in my Jeep? I don't do any crazy crawling, but I did almost roll it this weekend. I hear OEM are better w/o head and neck restraints...is this true? I'm new to off-roading and want to keep my family safe.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
5 point will keep you in the seat. I’d do 4 point at minimum, but 5 is actually more comfortable and safer , but it may not work properly with your stock seats.

The issue is on the street, you don’t want the airbag going off if you are in a harness.

If it has a cage, you want the harness, and disable the airbags.

You can set the harness up with eyelets so it clips in if you don’t want it all the time. You can get it in and out in a couple minutes.

PlanB

Reaction score
4 points in my Rubicon with PRP seats and aftermarket cage. I have come close to rolling it, so the cage and harnesses makes me feel a lot better.
IMG_1839.JPG

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
4 points in my Rubicon with PRP seats and aftermarket cage. I have come close to rolling it, so the cage and harnesses makes me feel a lot better. View attachment 850439

@LakeBeard

Ideally you want seats like these to properly run 5 point belts. Note the pass through in the seat bottom for the submarine harness.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I would leave the stock belts unless you can go 5 point, but 5 point won't work with the stock seats. I raced with 5 point harnesses for years and the jeep I have now came with a 4 point setup...I hate them. And don't think they'd do a lot in anything but possibly a rollover.

Anything modern will have seat belt pre-tensioners that will lock down the belts in most situations where the driver needs to stay put, so without a cage...they'll work fine.

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score
I would leave the stock belts unless you can go 5 point, but 5 point won't work with the stock seats. I raced with 5 point harnesses for years and the jeep I have now came with a 4 point setup...I hate them. And don't think they'd do a lot in anything but possibly a rollover.

Anything modern will have seat belt pre-tensioners that will lock down the belts in most situations where the driver needs to stay put, so without a cage...they'll work fine.
^^^This^^^
I just keep seatbelt cutting tools accessible in front and back.

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
20200302_155250.jpg

These are PRP 4 point attached to Rockhard 4x4 cage in my LJ. They have a standard style automotive buckle "button release". Since your only really using the harness at low speed (4 mph and lower) I really like how they keep my fat ass firmly in the bucket unlike your standard 3 point factory. My body doesnt hurt as much when spending hours in the rocks trying to keep in place. If your looking at high speed desert then absolutely 5 point, you can slide right under a 4 point harness at speed.

PlanB

Reaction score
What did that set up run you? do you have seats in the back as well?

It's a 2 door, so no back seats. Off the top of my head: Seats were about $700.00. and harnesses about $300.00.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Spend your money on a GOOD quality cage first. The stock belts will work well in a rollover or flop but the stock “cage” will not last long in the same event.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Spend your money on a GOOD quality cage first. The stock belts will work well in a rollover or flop but the stock “cage” will not last long in the same event.
Who's the go to for a good cage?

PlanB

Reaction score
Who's the go to for a good cage?

Mine is a Poison Spyder. Good cage, but it was a PITA to install. It would probably be easier to have a fab shop custom built you one. There is a place in Havasu that puts out some good looking cages, but I don't know your location.

Here is the place in Havasu: https://www.proprecision.com/

Foscheck

Reaction score
Alright brain trust, what's the verdict? do I need to put 4 point harnesses in my Jeep? I don't do any crazy crawling, but I did almost roll it this weekend. I hear OEM are better w/o head and neck restraints...is this true? I'm new to off-roading and want to keep my family safe.
I have two three inch 4 points that I took out of my sand car. Free to a board member
F739B618-8817-4FCD-8BB6-747F905065C4.jpeg

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Get a good full cage first, then get a good suspension seat, then the harness, i would use the stock belts for everyday driving since they allow you to move around, then the 5 point for fast wheeling, rock crawling i would use stock belts.

DLC

Reaction score
The problem with a jeep is as a driver your going slow and you need to move your body around to look out over door to see where your tire placement is, you kind of cheat and try to see where the trail is in relation to where you are. If you can’t move around you have no idea where you are. Off roading crawling in a jeep is a game of inches and 2-3 inch one way or the other makes all the difference.

all passengers yes a good 4 point would be recommended

merc_400r

Reaction score
No, no cage

I would definitely do cage first. Stock belts will keep you in but a roll over but a stock cage will total the car and could hurt you even with harnesses on. Plus you will need correct mount points for the harness which you would incorporate in the cage.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
They’re in Rancho Cucamonga. I work in San Dimas, but I’m sure we can work it out.
Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm gonna do a cage first, so I won't be ready for those harness for a while, go ahead and give them to someone else. Thanks though!