WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMF

Reaction score
Personally, I like it. I think once the lights and grill are installed it will add some depth to it. Throw on a front bumper and maybe a winch and it will be badass.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
A Can Am owner says the Speed design needs refinement?

Can Am’s inspiration for the front end of the X3: :)

View attachment 979921

I’m a Can Am fan but the front is ugly and the back storage area is nearly useless without spending money on boxes, bags and mounts to carry anything at all. The bed area is a major oversight in my opinion.
8E485C61-00E9-44BE-B1D3-FBB9EF472ED2.jpeg

I was thinking “no it doesn’t look like predator”, then I pulled up a pic, can’t deny that 🤣

Only thing I can say , 95% of current toy haulers will not fit the 4 seat speed UTV. It created the new caste system in the sxs world lol.
As for the bed on the can am, it was reduced for cab space. The ride and space for can am’s allow taller guys to not look as “clownish” driving a sxs and not have half our torso above tne door line.
The Speed car takes care of all of that. Looking forward to it’s success.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
View attachment 979923

I was thinking “no it doesn’t look like predator, then I pulled up a pic, can’t deny that 🤣

Only thing I can say , 95% of current toy haulers will not fit the 4 seat speed UTV. It created the new caste system in the sxs world lol.

I’m wondering if that will be a major complaint going forward and if they will then put the proposed 72” suspension from the short wheelbase Baja Bandit on the 4 seater.

How wide is your Can Am with aftermarket wheels? I’m guessing in the 75” range? Some of the 72” cars are closer to 80” with the deep offset wheels.

The speed car at its widest is 77”.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I’m wondering if that will be a major complaint going forward and if they will then put the proposed 72” suspension from the short wheelbase Baja Bandit on the 4 seater.

How wide is your Can Am with aftermarket wheels? I’m guessing in the 75” range? Some of the 72” cars are closer to 80” with the deep offset wheels.

The speed car at its widest is 77”.
My car is 74”
82” at the rear with paddles
I have to change paddles outside the trailer at Glamis. I could carry it with one paddle on a fender inside trailer but I don’t like offset loads on anything.
I don’t think it will hurt Speed sales at all but it could steer some to other brands down the road if they can’t afford a MH , or two storage payments (MH/ trailer ), vs one Toy hauler storage payment.
Again, minor stuff for RG now. I think the demand for the car is from those that will adapt their transport method based on the car.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My car is 74”
82” at the rear with paddles
I have to change paddles outside the trailer at Glamis. I could carry it with one paddle on a fender inside trailer but I don’t like offset loads on anything.
I don’t think it will hurt Speed sales at all but it could steer some to other brands down the road if they can’t afford a MH , or two storage payments (MH/ trailer ), vs one Toy hauler storage payment.
Again, minor stuff for RG now. I think the demand for the car is from those that will adapt their transport method based on the car.

I understand every toyhauler is different but Do you have 3” of width to spare between the wheel wells?

It is shorter in overall length than a Can Am, but the body is a bit wider. The body at its widest point is 64”

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I understand every toyhauler is different but Do you have 3” of width to spare between the wheel wells?

It is shorter in overall length than a Can Am, but the body is a bit wider. The body at its widest point is 64”

Not on mine
About 1.5”
Attitude 32 IBG
Most Eclipse bumper pulls will be the same.
The ones with big “bar” slide outs like the GSG versions would likely be tighter.
There are a few big 5th wheels that will have the width, most of them being 39-40+’ models.
The wheel overall width will be the final determination for most T/H’s

Has Speed released a heigth number on the car yet?

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Not on mine
About 1.5”
Attitude 32 IBG
The ones with big “bar” slide outs like the GSG versions would likely be tighter.
There are a few big 5th wheels that will have the width, most of them being 39-40+’ models.

Maybe this will drive up the used 5th wheel market? I'd love to get covid markup for my WW SLC3905!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not on mine
About 1.5”
Attitude 32 IBG

Yes 70” tall on the stock tires.

DWC

Reaction score

View attachment 979921

I’m a Can Am fan but the front is ugly and the back storage area is nearly useless without spending money on boxes, bags and mounts to carry anything at all. The bed area is a major oversight in my opinion.
Easy, easy.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

View attachment 979921

Hey I actually really like the front of the Cam Am's!!! :p The backs look good to but yeah the storage you need to spend money on. Probably the same with the Speed car though. Unless you want stuff flying out.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Hey I actually really like the front of the Cam Am's!!! :p The backs look good to but yeah the storage you need to spend money on. Probably the same with the Speed car though. Unless you want stuff flying out.

The Speed car has a huge truck bed with a tailgate, so at least there is a place for stuff. I did spend $100 on a spare tire hold down, and $300 on a rotomolded crescent shaped cooler and toolbox deal that sits around the spare, filling up the rest of the bed space. Seeing how much room there is in the bed now, I would have skipped the $300 crescent shaped cooler/box deal. But it does look cool. I am going to use one compartment for tools, the other will be my cooler.

IMG_6645.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
The Speed car has a huge truck bed with a tailgate, so at least there is a place for stuff. I did spend $100 on a spare tire hold down, and $300 on a rotomolded crescent shaped cooler and toolbox deal that sits around the spare, filling up the rest of the bed space. Seeing how much room there is in the bed now, I would have skipped the $300 crescent shaped cooler/box deal. But it does look cool. I am going to use one compartment for tools, the other will be my cooler.

IMG_6645.jpg

That looks pretty sick! Does the tailgate of the bed fold down like a normal truck?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That looks pretty sick! Does the tailgate of the bed fold down like a normal truck?

Yea it does. One of RG's main gripes about all SXS is that there is nowhere to hang out on them. I don't know what the tailgate will be rated for but he said you can sit in the bed and on the tailgate. The tailgate will also have molded in cupholders for your "water"

The Spare tire has 4 mounting positions in the bed - Left, right, center, or center rear. With center rear you can remove the tailgate and the spare will hang out the back. They also make those long rectangular storage boxes. The boxes are all modular so you can mount them in different ways depending on where you have the spare tire, or no spare tire at all.

All the boxes and bed are sized to accommodate a 35" tire.

Config-1.png

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Yea it does. One of RG's main gripes about all SXS is that there is nowhere to hang out on them. I don't know what the tailgate will be rated for but he said you can sit in the bed and on the tailgate. The tailgate will also have molded in cupholders for your "water"

The Spare tire has 4 mounting positions in the bed - Left, right, center, or center rear. With center rear you can remove the tailgate and the spare will hang out the back. They also make those long rectangular storage boxes. The boxes are all modular so you can mount them in different ways depending on where you have the spare tire, or no spare tire at all.

All the boxes and bed are sized to accommodate a 35" tire.

Config-1.png

That's pretty cool!! You sure you don't have stock in Speed? :)You really know everything about this SXS.

2Driver

Reaction score
That spare and bed look super clean. In his video showing off the gate it looked a little flimsy with 2 end bolts. I assume that will be a piano hinge or you will need a lanyard for the gate. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That spare and bed look super clean. In his video showing off the gate it looked a little flimsy with 2 end bolts. I assume that will be a piano hinge or you will need a lanyard for the gate. :)

Yea that looked craptastic, but that is the carbon body without the inner structure yet. The doors on that car are the same way right now.. just the skins. They say with the production body it will be like a truck with lanyards you disconnect and pullout the tailgate. And of course there will be an inner structure and trim panel.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Pretty stoked. I just picked up master #2059 El Jefe model. Would have been cheaper had I done it last year but still cheaper than if I ordered one right now

PlanB

Reaction score
I like the bed design with the spare.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So this thing is even further from production then we thought then?

No, production line test cars will be out in 4-6 weeks. That is when we are getting really close.

This car is supposed to test the full production chassis, drivetrain, suspension, production engine, ECU, engine harness, chassis harness etc. It was also a fit check/mock up of the assembly line parts.

This was a hand built car with all of the production parts above, supposedly down to the tubing used. They also are using it to test their option composite body, that won’t be part of the assembly line production.

I don’t know, they may end up putting the head lights in this car. This car is going to CA first to have parts of the chassis and accessory harness finished before the production wiring harnesses are made.

The cars are coming pre wired and pre terminated for all the Speed accessories. So anything you buy, just plugs in.

This is not the only test car in existence.. there are a bunch of them running around being tested semi secretly. People have seen them, even driven them out in the desert.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Pretty stoked. I just picked up master #2059 El Jefe model. Would have been cheaper had I done it last year but still cheaper than if I ordered one right now

Awesome, congrats. I think you picked it up at the right time!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
No, production line test cars will be out in 4-6 weeks. That is when we are getting really close.

This car is supposed to test the full production chassis, drivetrain, suspension, production engine, ECU, engine harness, chassis harness etc. It was also a fit check/mock up of the assembly line parts.

This was a hand built car with all of the production parts above, supposedly down to the tubing used. They also are using it to test their option composite body, that won’t be part of the assembly line production.

I don’t know, they may end up putting the head lights in this car. This car is going to CA first to have parts of the chassis and accessory harness finished before the production wiring harnesses are made.

The cars are coming pre wired and pre terminated for all the Speed accessories. So anything you buy, just plugs in.

This is not the only test car in existence.. there are a bunch of them running around being tested semi secretly. People have seen them, even driven them out in the desert.

So it’s more a prototype then a preproduction car. Let’s not confuse the difference.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Anyone know of an El Jefe position for sale?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So it’s more a prototype then a preproduction car. Let’s not confuse the difference.

If you want to call a car made of production a chassis and suspension parts, production shocks, a production engine, production trans and drivetrain and production ECU a prototype, sure.

The first public test car in October was a prototype.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
If you want to call a car made of production a chassis and suspension parts, production shocks, a production engine, production trans and drivetrain and production ECU a prototype, sure.

The first public test car in October was a prototype.

I thought you were just talking about hand built this hand built that, fake head lights etc.

So which is it. Production or hand built. They aren’t the same.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I thought you were just talking about hand built this hand built that, fake head lights etc.

So which is it. Production or hand built. They aren’t the same.

Read what I said. They took all the production parts and built the car in their facility, not on an assembly line. They did this to physically validate the assembly before the assembly line does it. They used the production CNC laser notched and bent tubing for the chassis.

We are well beyond the prototype phase.

It is a hand built car using all the production parts that will be used on the assembly line, aside from the body components which are their optional carbon body components.

Reactions: DWC

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Anyone know of an El Jefe position for sale?

If you have the Facebook, join the Speed UTV page, lots of people posting up stuff for sale. There's also a bunch of other places that I've heard of, but I can't remember them, but google will probably help.

I just picked up an El Jefe master number 125 off of Race-Dezert, I paid $1000 over the original price, which is still cheaper than if I ordered now, and I ended up with a super low number. I like the way it turned out, as I'm going to get the first run of production, and I haven't been waiting for over a year since I have no real patience.

I'm not a SXS guy, and I've really had no interest in getting one until I started watching some of the videos, and I got FOMO.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Now would be a good time to sell my RZR.. but we have a Mexico trip to San Felipe coming up in a week or two.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you have the Facebook, join the Speed UTV page, lots of people posting up stuff for sale. There's also a bunch of other places that I've heard of, but I can't remember them, but google will probably help.

I just picked up an El Jefe master number 125 off of Race-Dezert, I paid $1000 over the original price, which is still cheaper than if I ordered now, and I ended up with a super low number. I like the way it turned out, as I'm going to get the first run of production, and I haven't been waiting for over a year since I have no real patience.

I'm not a SXS guy, and I've really had no interest in getting one until I started watching some of the videos, and I got FOMO.

you got that cheap.. I am 113 and it would take a lot more than a grand to get me off mine!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Now would be a good time to sell my RZR.. but we have a Mexico trip to San Felipe coming up in a week or two.

Mine may go up for sale after DS weekend. If it doesn’t sell by Mothers Day I may just clean it up for sale and throw a cover on it until September.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My trailer has a 101” door width opening, crazy that some of these toy haulers are so narrow, maybe there will be Speed Toy Haulers next?

yz450mm

Reaction score
My trailer has a 101” door width opening, crazy that some of these toy haulers are so narrow, maybe there will be Speed Toy Haulers next?
Already in the works.
Screenshot_20210308-205920_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

LowRiver2

Reaction score
And this is why competition is good for consumers:
F5992782-86C8-4172-AA6B-1A930E6FF767.jpeg
38A79EB7-6B5C-4FC4-B829-90BCDE436E54.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.