WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Apparently, they guard their proprietary technology on utv's pretty serious. No spy pics. No real world testing. The security around these sxs's is amazing.

Ford, GM, Ram/Dodge, Mercury Marine, Toyota and Nissan, among others, should learn from them.

Bahner boats come to mind.

Dan'l

They have had pre-production test vehicles for well over a year.

teded

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Textron wildcat xx.
Probably the smoothest ride out there. That rear suspension really works well. My only complaint is the cab heat when the fans turn on. It’s ok for cold winters. Are the 4 seaters any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Textron wildcat xx.
Probably the smoothest ride out there. That rear suspension really works well. My only complaint is the cab heat when the fans turn on. It’s ok for cold winters. Are the 4 seaters any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These SPEED cars have the entire cooling system behind the rear passengers, so likely cabin heat won't be an issue. No radiator up front, no coolant lines running back and forth down the car. The car feeds cooling air in from the bottom and sides and evacuates hot air over the bed, like the vents in your XX.

In my mind this means you'll want to pay extra attention and make sure you are flushing dirt/water/mud out of the radiator and heat exchanger when you are washing the car.

The turbo and exhaust are behind the engine, not in front of it, so in theory there should not be a ton of heat buildup in the front cabin or bed area, but the radiator will be near the rear passengers.

There are NACA ducts in the front grill to bring fresh air into the cabin area to mitigate dust filling the cabin if you run a windshield. There is also going to be a cab heater option that will install in line into that ducting system. The dash will have vents, and there is a plan for a fully enclosed car in late 2021 that will have full heat and AC. That car will have a radiator up front.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Who said they aren't testing them?

Just because there hasn't been spy photos of it being tested yet you believe it doesn't exist?

RD

With delivery 90 days out, wouldn't there be more than just a test mule?
I hope you're right.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Im afraid these will actually be great. I cant afford to build another SxS!

I fully expect a few dumb teething issues. But the value is in the junk you don’t need buy to build one.

The stock cage for instance has already been approved for racing with the addition of door bars.

Last edited:

schrader23

Reaction score
Can’t wait for my 4 seat delivery. Finalize my options this Friday!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Those of you that have your final designs for your cars, post them up!

I am thinking of going with this. I like the look of the gloss black wheels better, but I know they are gonna get beat to hell. So I am thinking just go with machined wheels from the start to hide the scratches. Thoughts?

speed12.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I am thinking of going with this. I like the look of the gloss black wheels better, but I know they are gonna get beat to hell. So I am thinking just go with machined wheels from the start to hide the scratches. Thoughts?

View attachment 924954

I’m doing the black wheels.. I got the rg so there’s only three options. I picked the black one. Lol

The options list killed me..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m doing the black wheels.. I got the rg so there’s only three options. I picked the black one. Lol

The options list killed me..

Yea the black wheels certainly look better with the colors I'm going with. When it is a $20 beadlock ring I'm scraping up I don't really care. The Speed beadlock ring is the entire face of the wheel, and the wheel faces are flat. So you know how ugly they will get pretty quickly.

I will probably not have to finalize my order for another couple weeks.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Yea the black wheels certainly look better with the colors I'm going with. When it is a $20 beadlock ring I'm scraping up I don't really care. The Speed beadlock ring is the entire face of the wheel, and the wheel faces are flat. So you know how ugly they will get pretty quickly.

I will probably not have to finalize my order for another couple weeks.

Black wheels will be fine. It's an off-road rig, not a show car. Use it, abuse it, it will look great from 15'. I had black methods on my RZR and put 2500 desert miles on it, yes the wheels got pretty dinged up, but looked fine unless you were up close washing it. Go black.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Have they actually delivered one of these yet!

37 boat

Reaction score

View attachment 924954

View attachment 924954
Visualization-Only-8211-El-Jefe-LE-Cabo-Wrap_5f6959f4f37c3.png

MeCasa16

Reaction score
When will we finally be able to see one finished? I was hoping the UTV world Championships, but that is coming up awfully quick.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When will we finally be able to see one finished? I was hoping the UTV world Championships, but that is coming up awfully quick.

The 2 seater race/pre production car *should* be there.

37 boat

Reaction score
The 2 seater race/pre production car *should* be there.
Finalized my order today (after delaying a few weeks). I told Conner that after watching the presentations the last couple weeks I would be very surprised if the race car was ready for UTV nationals. Conner said they would definitely have a UTT (2 seat race car) ready for the race. He said it would have non production billet parts (prototype production parts) and it's going to be the Speed designed engine/trans/diff (one off billet parts as well). It's going to be interesting to see how it performs. He also said I'm looking at late December/early January for delivery (I'm master #538)....At this point I'm less interested in how soon I get the car vs receiving a reliable/sorted car. This whole thing is a roll of the dice but if they deliver anything close to what has been showed it will be leaps and bounds ahead of everything else (but I'm still keeping my Can am for now :)).

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Finalized my order today (after delaying a few weeks). I told Conner that after watching the presentations the last couple weeks I would be very surprised if the race car was ready for UTV nationals. Conner said they would definitely have a UTT (2 seat race car) ready for the race. He said it would have non production billet parts (prototype production parts) and it's going to be the Speed designed engine/trans/diff (one off billet parts as well). It's going to be interesting to see how it performs. He also said I'm looking at late December/early January for delivery (I'm master #538)....At this point I'm less interested in how soon I get the car vs receiving a reliable/sorted car. This whole thing is a roll of the dice but if they deliver anything close to what has been showed it will be leaps and bounds ahead of everything else (but I'm still keeping my Can am for now :)).

Yea. I’m not really worried about the timetable. I didn’t really expect the thing “on time” I’m glad to see all the progress. The date I was given when I put down my deposit (car # 1010) was March anyway.

I’m keeping my RZR as well for now. If I end up selling the Speed car, I’ll also sell my 1000 and will probably buy a turbo Polaris 4 seater of some kind.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
This is what I ended up with, didn’t get much from the cheap China shit accessories list... which turns out to be very very disappointing. Everything listed for the most part is all knock off alibaba China shit.

I got a break in kit and a windshield.
I’m just hoping it doesn’t turn out to be a turd.

master #55
B9C1B2A4-86CB-4A65-BC67-C15B7AB4E0C9.jpg

riverroyal

Reaction score
Hang on. They will be using prototype billet one off parts? Shouldn’t that have been done say....a year ago? So no real testing as of yet.
you guys are crazy.

37 boat

Reaction score
This is what I ended up with, didn’t get much from the cheap China shit accessories list... which turns out to be very very disappointing. Everything listed for the most part is all knock off alibaba China shit.

I got a break in kit and a windshield.
I’m just hoping it doesn’t turn out to be a turd.

master #55 View attachment 925063
Yeah I here you, I got the windshield, window nets, , break in kit, spare tire and wheel w/mount. The rest I will source elsewhere. This car has so much promise and potential it's scary. I am scared and excited at the same time...the chassis geometry, cage design and engineering of everything else are light years ahead of the competition but everything is new and unproven. If it performs as designed it will be a steal for what we paid but if it doesn't I might be grafting my Can am drivetrain into the Speed chassis...lol

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Hang on. They will be using prototype billet one off parts? Shouldn’t that have been done say....a year ago? So no real testing as of yet.
you guys are crazy.

a lot of these parts in one way or another have already been in use via the unicorn, textron xx, or other off-road cars or mfg’s. They aren’t re inventing the wheel, they are just refining it and they’re using years off-road experience and racing to do it.

you honestly think Polaris and Can Am test prototype parts years before they throw out a new model?

have all these parts been assembled and tested together? No, not yet...

like I said in my last post, I just hope it’s not a turd...time will tell.

As of now I’m only out like 3500, I’ve spent more on worse ideas .

riverroyal

Reaction score
a lot of these parts in one way or another have already been in use via the unicorn, textron xx, or other off-road cars or mfg’s. They aren’t re inventing the wheel, they are just refining it and they’re using years off-road experience and racing to do it.

you honestly think Polaris and Can Am test prototype parts years before they throw out a new model?

have all these parts been assembled and tested together? No, not yet...

like I said in my last post, I just hope it’s not a turd...time will tell.

As of now I’m only out like 3500, I’ve spent more on worse ideas .
I do not think can am and polaris prototyped for years, but they did have cars in the dirt for years. Early models which helped current year models
What Can Am and Polaris didnt do is take a TON of cash from people before even completing ONE unit.
I seriously hope this thing is ground breaking and awesome. But, Im also shocked at how many are paying up front.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
you guys are crazy.

Yeah I'm really interested in the 2 Seat El Diablo model, but I think I'm going to hang back until they have worked out the bugs on the Year 1 Models. I'm pretty confident the chassis and suspension are going to be top shelf. My worry is they are going right into production on an unproven drivetrain. I know it will cost me a few grand to wait until next year, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. I hope this car is everything it's advertised as. I'm pretty underwhelmed about the quality of the other manufacturers. Having to spend $5K in safety upgrades right out of the gate to me is bullshit!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I do not think can am and polaris prototyped for years, but they did have cars in the dirt for years. Early models which helped current year models
What Can Am and Polaris didnt do is take a TON of cash from people before even completing ONE unit.
I seriously hope this thing is ground breaking and awesome. But, Im also shocked at how many are paying up front.

Who do you think was involved in developing those models than have been in the dirt for years? RG worked on the design with Polaris and then Textron.

RG has the patents on most of the suspension design from the XX. They have the patents on all the long travel kits for the XX

The suspension is an evolution of that platform. It has been out for years. The engine and trans prototypes have been around for awhile, I don’t know what testing has been done there but they used Albins as design consultants for the drivetrain, and many NASCAR engine designers for the engine.

The guy has been building and involved with building off road cars for 30 years. Yes the design was a “clean sheet of paper” but the thought that went into it and the basic components, geometry and design have already been mostly proven, just repackaged for use in a UTV.

As far as the deposit, Tesla did the same thing. People plunked down a little cash. Our blind faith and $1500 is buying us a car at a significant discount.

The cars could very well be late, but he hasn’t jacked up the price on us and added more features along the way. If most of what he says is on the car is there, most everyone will be pretty happy.

Yes there are question marks, but I don’t think anyone that paid is worried about NOT getting a car.

I had the same view as you 1 year ago and that is why I didn’t put cash down then.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah I'm really interested in the 2 Seat El Diablo model, but I think I'm going to hang back until they have worked out the bugs on the Year 1 Models. I'm pretty confident the chassis and suspension are going to be top shelf. My worry is they are going right into production on an unproven drivetrain. I know it will cost me a few grand to wait until next year, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. I hope this car is everything it's advertised as. I'm pretty underwhelmed about the quality of the other manufacturers. Having to spend $5K in safety upgrades right out of the gate to me is bullshit!

Yep, the drivetrain package is really the only question mark in my mind as well.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I think we also need to consider that Polaris and Can Am are publicly traded companies, so they get shareholder money to pay for product development.

A private company doesn’t have that luxury, so they need to raise cash other ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

riverroyal

Reaction score
100% with you. My turn key X3 has 7K worth of shit bolted to it. So I do like the speed idea of being able to built it before delivery. I guess any Can am or polaris dealer can do it also.
I think its great the excitement on this thing, I'm looking forward to seeing one, riding in one, THEN trying to sell the X3 to actually get one. If its that awesome.
If this car is going to revolutionize the UTV world then that means the competitors will need to stay in the game with better products. Its a win win even if you dont buy a speed car over the next few years.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
100% with you. My turn key X3 has 7K worth of shit bolted to it. So I do like the speed idea of being able to built it before delivery. I guess any Can am or polaris dealer can do it also.
I think its great the excitement on this thing, I'm looking forward to seeing one, riding in one, THEN trying to sell the X3 to actually get one. If its that awesome.
If this car is going to revolutionize the UTV world then that means the competitors will need to stay in the game with better products. Its a win win even if you dont buy a speed car over the next few years.

I think the these first cars will have some issues.. I don’t think they will be perfect. There isn’t a SXS on the market that has been perfect in its first year.

I think these first run cars will probably have the best materials, and they will find some ways to reduce costs as they produce more and more of these cars and find areas they can cut costs in years to come.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think we also need to consider that Polaris and Can Am are publicly traded companies, so they get shareholder money to pay for product development.

A private company doesn’t have that luxury, so they need to raise cash other ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The upside Is they have much more agility and hopefully efficiency, as the entire team had pretty much a singular focus for 18+ months.

riverroyal

Reaction score
on a side note, my F150 lease is almost up. Well 4 months ish. Im pulling the 20" Methods and Toyos off. If for some reason you need to buy new wheels 😁

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
or just raise the prices to cover costs. Im riding in yours as soon as you get it

That is true.
You are more than welcome to hop in for a ride!

As stated earlier, my only disappointment is some of the options are just marked up parts I can get online. The option parts designed in house seem like they will be good. But the mirrors, light bars, tools, etc are just marked up China stuff to maximize profit.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Where are the engines going to be built? I had heard China ..... but not sure if that’s accurate.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Where are the engines going to be built? I had heard China ..... but not sure if that’s accurate.

I am not sure but I don't think that is accurate either. People keep saying the thing is going to be built in China, It is going to be built in Texas... with a bunch of chinese parts. Just like every other UTV on the market LOL.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Where is the Speed Utv facility going to be in Havasu? I heard it opens in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.