WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singleton

Reaction score
I think he know hes gonna be crucified if he’s out there racing while people are waiting for cars lol.

I was thinking the opposite. He would of been able to say testing in the real world. Just think of the positive press if it finished the course. I did not put a deposit down, but one of my desert buddies did (deposit is within the 500 range). He is giving it until Sept 30, 2021 and then asking for his money back. I see a ton of deposit spot being sold off if the car is not in production and being delivered by then.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I was thinking the opposite. He would of been able to say testing in the real world. Just think of the positive press if it finished the course. I did not put a deposit down, but one of my desert buddies did (deposit is within the 500 range). He is giving it until Sept 30, 2021 and then asking for his money back. I see a ton of deposit spot being sold off if the car is not in production and being delivered by then.

That is true, but it is a big risk. If something broke that might be equally as bad.

When they finish the first 4 seater in a few more weeks he will get tons of press testing that.

I don’t think your friend will get his money back, but there are plenty that will pay for his spot in line should he want to sell it. I can’t see him loosing any money.

At the end of the day they have done a lot in 18 months on a car that was a 100% clean sheet design.

Reactions: DLC

Singleton

Reaction score
That is true, but it is a big risk. If something broke that might be equally as bad.

When they finish the first 4 seater in a few more weeks he will get tons of press testing that.

I don’t think your friend will get his money back, but there are plenty that will pay for his spot in line should he want to sell it. I can’t see him loosing any money.

At the end of the day they have done a lot in 18 months on a car that was a 100% clean sheet design.

i will most likely purchase his spot

DLC

Reaction score
I think it’s kinda funny everyone is kinda bashing the car thats not built yet and yet RG wants to get it right and not just sell cars.

RG wants to kick everyone in the nuts (all other manufacturers) and nail it BIG! Talk about impacting an industry!

@LargeOrangeFont your like the man in charge sifting thru everyones crapping on the car! Good for you!

I can totally see buying one but I’m not the 1st year guy, more like the 3rd year guy when they boost to 400HP!

lol
anticipation.....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think it’s kinda funny everyone is kinda bashing the car thats not built yet and yet RG wants to get it right and not just sell cars.

RG wants to kick everyone in the nuts (all other manufacturers) and nail it BIG! Talk about impacting an industry!

@LargeOrangeFont your like the man in charge sifting thru everyones crapping on the car! Good for you!

I can totally see buying one but I’m not the 1st year guy, more like the 3rd year guy when they boost to 400HP!

lol
anticipation.....

I’m just trying to give everyone the most accurate information I’m hearing.

We have chatted about this before, but I’m bullish the first year cars will be ok. RG can’t afford to debut a car riddled with problems. I think the cars in a couple years will be great, they will just cost more.

The price hasn’t changed on us early adopters (which I said might happen back in 2019 and happy to be proven wrong there), I’ve said from 2019 there is no way these cars are on time. As a new manufacturer and early adopter I don’t want them rushed. Take the time to make the best product they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got my invoice last week. Full on preproduction 4 seater is scheduled for testing in beginning of March in Parker/Havasu.

Preproduction car is supposed to have the production wiring harness, drivetrain, suspension, body, etc. It will also have all the electronic accessories on it - stereo, lights, winch, rock lights, seat heaters, etc.

I settled on the Standard Wide seat option for the front seats based on their detailed sizing dimensions.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I got my invoice last week. Full on preproduction 4 seater is scheduled for testing in beginning of March in Parker/Havasu.

Preproduction car is supposed to have the production wiring harness, drivetrain, suspension, body, etc. It will also have all the electronic accessories on it - stereo, lights, winch, rock lights, seat heaters, etc.

I settled on the Standard Wide seat option for the front seats based on their detailed sizing dimensions.

I got my invoice about a month ago.. (maybe more?). I asked them if I pay this does this mean I get the car in 30 days? They laughed and said "No" it's just a confirmation of what you ordered.. Then I managed to add more shit to the car :oops: .... So I guess that worked to get me back into the accessories page. LOL.

When I picked all my stuff they just had kinda "weight limits" on the seats for which one you'd want. I need to go revisit that and I think I just want whatever the biggest ones possible are for my fat ass.. I'm more about comfort than racing anyways.

The one thing I am noticing in Robby's videos though is he's always talking about how the seat doesn't "move" and the guy leans left and right and that thing is moving 3 inches either direction.. WTF? My Simpson seats you couldn't move those things at all in my Canned Ham.

RD

riverroyal

Reaction score
When you guys say invoice does that mean your paying in full now?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got my invoice about a month ago.. (maybe more?). I asked them if I pay this does this mean I get the car in 30 days? They laughed and said "No" it's just a confirmation of what you ordered.. Then I managed to add more shit to the car :oops: .... So I guess that worked to get me back into the accessories page. LOL.

When I picked all my stuff they just had kinda "weight limits" on the seats for which one you'd want. I need to go revisit that and I think I just want whatever the biggest ones possible are for my fat ass.. I'm more about comfort than racing anyways.

The one thing I am noticing in Robby's videos though is he's always talking about how the seat doesn't "move" and the guy leans left and right and that thing is moving 3 inches either direction.. WTF? My Simpson seats you couldn't move those things at all in my Canned Ham.

RD

Yea that seat flex was kinda dumb, I saw that in the video too and I don't think the seats were bolted to the bases all the way. The slider mechanism looks really solid though. Your Simpson seats were steel framed. They dont move at all but are heave. These are carbon race style bucket seats. The are gonna flex a little bit in the shoulder area I am guessing. Pretty much all the carbon race buckets do that. But the seat will be really light.

The tall/wide seat version is for really big and tall people. Morgan Motorsports is supposed to get a set of seats, so you could call them and see if they have a set yet that you can sit in and try. I'm 6'3 and they said the standard seat will be the best fit unless I have a long torso. They say the measurement for the standard height seat from your seat bottom to the top of your shoulders with your back straight should be 28". I am 27.5" so that cemented my decision to stay with the standard height. I am at the limit on width for the standard narrow seat. If it was a race car I would have went with the standard width. But I chose wide for a little more room and comfort when wearing thicker clothes.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When you guys say invoice does that mean your paying in full now?

No.. It's just a confirmation of the "build" on your car from the factory.

That said we are getting closer and I think it's a few months out now. In a month or so if they ask for the $$ I'd give it to them. The car is so far beyond anything out there it's ridiculous. I don't see Can Am or RZR ever catching up to it.. On the inverse I don't see Speed being able to build these things anywhere near the price point they originally started at. This thing is gonna end up being 60K minimum in a year or two.

RD

Reactions: DWC

riverroyal

Reaction score
I hope they dont hit 60. Already enough 200000 boats that were 120 not long ago

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No.. It's just a confirmation of the "build" on your car from the factory.

That said we are getting closer and I think it's a few months out now. In a month or so if they ask for the $$ I'd give it to them. The car is so far beyond anything out there it's ridiculous. I don't see Can Am or RZR ever catching up to it.. On the inverse I don't see Speed being able to build these things anywhere near the price point they originally started at. This thing is gonna end up being 60K minimum in a year or two.

RD

I see them being close to 40K to start in the next couple years. Realistically it does not cost drastically much more to make this Speed car than anything else out there. The real gains are in the design of the car itself.

Sure there are more in materials and some manufacturing costs.. But Polaris and Can Am could easily do a lot of what has been done, for very little extra money if they designed it that way in the first place.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
I'm not getting a Speed car any time soon but think it's the car to get and worth the wait from the info I've seen.
AZ West's lot has been almost empty of new RZR's for a while now, there are a few Wild Cats there but that's about it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’m heavily considering the speed car now. For the simple fact of what Dave said. This car should be bullet proof and very easy to work on

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Well,watched several videos RG and crew racing in this thread. I will be ordering Speed Car. Not only to enjoy,but to support without a doubt a champion who is building a car from his own personal experiences and his unquestioned guts in and out of whatever he happens to be racing.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Yes I know, what I meant is stand up to a lot more abuse
Id be more concerned with motor and trans. Thats the big ??? For me.
Can am motor is in all kinds of things. It will out last the actual car. Same for polaris

c_land

Reaction score
Can am motor is in all kinds of things. It will out last the actual car. Same for polaris

Anecdotal .... but my 2018 rzr is on the second polaris engine and third polaris turbo lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Logically I'd agree with you.. Strangely after watching all their videos it's the least of my concerns.. LOL.

Right now my biggest concern is the digital dash on the glove box I ordered.. How all this shit's gonna jive with my back up cameras I'll be installing and I phone etc..

I think they got the motor and tranny dialed... and I'm quite looking forward to the sequential shift deal.. That I'm still still puzzled why the fuck they connected it to a power grabbing belt? (I woulda done a chain all day long)

RD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

At the end of the day, that is why these were $32k.

All of that is a concern, but I’m not too worried, and there is an extended warranty option as well. The engine was literally designed by NASCAR engine engineers in North Carolina. It has a ton of modern race engine features - cylinder head air bleeds, exhaust manifold turbo housing, forged internals, dry sump oiling.

It seems they have tested the crap out of them. The have made about 400 HP with the engine in stock form in testing. 3 speed Trans was designed by Albins. They aren’t bean countering this thing to death..... at least not for 2021. I think they may bean counter shit in later years, but it seems they are putting their best foot forward with regards to materials. I’m sure us early adopters are gonna find some issues they will address going forward.

After debut supposedly they are going to have a 1265cc short block upgrade :) The top end is already made for it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Logically I'd agree with you.. Strangely after watching all their videos it's the least of my concerns.. LOL.

Right now my biggest concern is the digital dash on the glove box I ordered.. How all this shit's gonna jive with my back up cameras I'll be installing and I phone etc..

I think they got the motor and tranny dialed... and I'm quite looking forward to the sequential shift deal.. That I'm still still puzzled why the fuck they connected it to a power grabbing belt? (I woulda done a chain all day long)

RD

Belt is cheap, easy, lightweight and forgiving. I have no desire to service a full sequential 5 or 6 speed trans on my SXS, and even with the 3 speed trans you still need more gears, or the variable ratio the belt provides. The overdrive is gonna be awesome, and that will be something Polaris and Can Am will have to address. Can Am may be doing that already as I’ve heard they have a new trans for next year.

The dash is my biggest concern as well, and will probably have the biggest improvements in later cars. I’m using a Lowrance for GPS, I don’t want to deal with screen mirroring, and I don’t have a ton of confidence that will work as smooth and elegantly as it should.

I’m going to add the belt temp sensor option when it comes out. They have the provisions will already be in the harness, and you’ll be able to see it on the screen.

For you, all that gadgetry you are wanting to install probably won’t jive well. But there is plenty of real estate on the dash to install an extra screen, or run it to some kind of tablet.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Belt is cheap, easy, lightweight and forgiving. I have no desire to service a full sequential 5 or 6 speed trans on my SXS, and even with the 3 speed trans you still need more gears, or the variable ratio the belt provides. The overdrive is gonna be awesome, and that will be something Polaris and Can Am will have to address. Can Am may be doing that already as I’ve heard they have a new trans for next year.

The dash is my biggest concern as well, and will probably have the biggest improvements in later cars. I’m using a Lowrance for GPS, I don’t want to deal with screen mirroring, and I don’t have a ton of confidence that will work as smooth and elegantly as it should.

I’m going to add the belt temp sensor option when it comes out. They have the provisions will already be in the harness, and you’ll be able to see it on the screen.

For you, all that gadgetry you are wanting to install probably won’t jive well. But there is plenty of real estate on the dash to install an extra screen, or run it to some kind of tablet.

Side note.. I talked to KSH today about building a 23 gallon (non race certified) fuel cell for mine when I get it. I like the idea of the huge fuel capacity, but really don't like the 4,000.00 price tag that the Speed fuel cell costs. LOL

RD

EarpRider

Reaction score
Not to be abuzz kill, but does no one else see a problem with the Average Joe driving an off road vehicle with 240 to 400 hp in our deserts?
I sure as hell don't want to be a victim of a head on crash from someone driving over there head while Im just cruising a wash.
Anyone who follows (sorry Dave) Desert Whips knows how many people are already crashing, rolling, flipping and just plain driving stupid in the desert everyday, and that's just a stock RZR.
I really hope this doesn't create more BLM laws.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not to be abuzz kill, but does no one else see a problem with the Average Joe driving an off road vehicle with 240 to 400 hp in our deserts?
I sure as hell don't want to be a victim of a head on crash from someone driving over there head while Im just cruising a wash.
Anyone who follows (sorry Dave) Desert Whips knows how many people are already crashing, rolling, flipping and just plain driving stupid in the desert everyday, and that's just a stock RZR.

Yes I see a real problem with it actually.

I'm on a local ride page and there was a guy bitching that he was on a trail and crashed into the back of a stuck truck.. and he was blaming it on the truck!! He said the truck shouldn't have been on the trail! Then he said "The truck should have pulled off to the side!" I reminded him that the truck was stuck and there was a dude in the bed of the truck jumping up in down while the driver was trying to get it unstuck.

The thought that he was driving faster than he could see and the idea that this was his own fault is something I couldn't manage to get the guy to grasp.. That was in a KRX 1000 which is generally considered to be one of the slower vehicles out there.. LOL

Shit scares the shit out of me sometimes to be honest. People really don't know what the Fuck they are doing and now the speeds are getting crazy.. My kids were riding quads in Osborne wash all weekend last weekend, and I was genuinely concerned about some guy running too fast and possibly hitting one of them. Then I kinda figured I was being a helicopter because the wash was pretty damn wide where we were at so they could dodge them if they had too, and I relaxed a bit..

But yes overall very valid point. Personally I don't drive faster than I can see or stop.. and if I can't see I'm the slowest mojo you ever seen.. LOL. (cresting hill tops etc.)

RD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Side note.. I talked to KSH today about building a 23 gallon (non race certified) fuel cell for mine when I get it. I like the idea of the huge fuel capacity, but really don't like the 4,000.00 price tag that the Speed fuel cell costs. LOL

RD

All race fuel cells are expensive.

If you are doing that rear bench seat, that may give you some more room.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I hear you. The idiots are gonna crash in a 100 HP RZR, or a 225 HP Speed car though. I tell everyone to make sure you have a rear facing amber chase light to make sure you don’t get driven into on the trail.

FWIW, the Speed car is only a little faster than a Can Am as it is a bit heavier than a stock Can Am or RZR. With E85, it will be faster though.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Yup, same concern I have with inexperienced yuppies hauling the mail in 700hp TRX’s...waaaaaaay more power than suspension and brains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EarpRider

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210219-120617_Facebook.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Next week that 4 seater production prototype will be done and headed for desert testing. Assembly line preproduction cars expected by the end of March for desert testing.

We are getting closer!

2Driver

Reaction score
Yes I see a real problem with it actually.

I'm on a local ride page and there was a guy bitching that he was on a trail and crashed into the back of a stuck truck.. and he was blaming it on the truck!! He said the truck shouldn't have been on the trail! Then he said "The truck should have pulled off to the side!" I reminded him that the truck was stuck and there was a dude in the bed of the truck jumping up in down while the driver was trying to get it unstuck.

The thought that he was driving faster than he could see and the idea that this was his own fault is something I couldn't manage to get the guy to grasp.. That was in a KRX 1000 which is generally considered to be one of the slower vehicles out there.. LOL

Shit scares the shit out of me sometimes to be honest. People really don't know what the Fuck they are doing and now the speeds are getting crazy.. My kids were riding quads in Osborne wash all weekend last weekend, and I was genuinely concerned about some guy running too fast and possibly hitting one of them. Then I kinda figured I was being a helicopter because the wash was pretty damn wide where we were at so they could dodge them if they had too, and I relaxed a bit..

But yes overall very valid point. Personally I don't drive faster than I can see or stop.. and if I can't see I'm the slowest mojo you ever seen.. LOL. (cresting hill tops etc.)

RD

I disagree. All you have to do is watch RG videos, buy the right SXS, put your favorite tunes over your headsets and you become a contender. :)

LOL at minute 3:04 guess where I was standing.

JRD_0488_A.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I disagree. All you have to do is watch RG videos, buy the right SXS, put your favorite tunes over your headsets and you become a contender. :)

LOL at minute 3:04 guess where I was standing.

View attachment 976732
Great video, even better pic of the oh fuck moment. Always amazes me that more fans dont get killed at these races, especially in mexico, drivers just pin it regardless of the crowds nearby.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Great video, even better pic of the oh fuck moment. Always amazes me that more fans dont get killed at these races, especially in mexico, drivers just pin it regardless of the crowds nearby.

Just like the Rally cars in Europe.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
C76C7F7B-D2FF-4A68-8568-50D1A63DF752.jpeg

from angle of this pic the roofline looks low for tall drivers during duning. Guessing it’s just an illusion

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 976809
from angle of this pic the roofline looks low for tall drivers during duning. Guessing it’s just an illusion

I think you might be correct.. The cage is not close to the head, but the front roof sloping down I believe will cut visibility a bit. But will be great for mornings and sunsets in the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.