Deckin Around

Reaction score
šŸ‘€ I think Iā€™ll take a looksy at this tomorrow
8193D2A6-9463-4197-A3CE-8585BD9CF3F0.png
F55FB005-5DB3-478A-BDC1-339400AE7BA1.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I canā€™t believe you guys think the doors were hollow feeling. You maybe comparing them to your built side by side with door bags and after market stuff on them. A stock RZR or can am door is junk compared to that speed program.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Does anybody know of someone that has a pre order 2 seat El diablo LE that wants to sell their spot? I got cash in hand and ready to pull the trigger. I was going to pre order Last year when the price was lower but was not financially able to. I understand that some have become available on Facebook but I'm not much of a social media guy (No FaceF*ck account) any help would be appreciated.

possibly. I will check with my buddy next week. He might want to move to a four seater and he could part with his. If I get the two on Monday I will let him have one of them.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I canā€™t believe you guys think the doors were hollow feeling. You maybe comparing them to your built side by side with door bags and after market stuff on them. A stock RZR or can am door is junk compared to that speed program.

I was fine with the doors, as long as the latches and strikers get adjusted. I don't need an F150 door on my SXS. I agree itā€™s better than any tin door out there.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Agreed on all counts. It appeared all the latches are adjustable so Iā€™m thinking that part will be easy to fix. It looked like they were putting the final touches on stuff and just ran out of time. Each one had a couple pieces missing, a seat on one, a muffler on another, a couple interior panels on a third. The doors were hollow feeling, but that said, what we have now on cars are are just pieces of tin. A Polaris General or even a Pro XP door feels a little more substantial. It did feel like the doors were the right size though. Getting in the back wasnā€™t too bad at all, and the front had a good amount of room.

Iā€™m not overly concerned with the cage welds as these were literally the first ones built. They will dial that stuff in as we get closer.

As someone who has done lots of trade shows, world of Cobcrete, Con-Expo type stuff, Iā€™d be concerned.

when you do a show, you put your absolute best foot forward. You make your product look itā€™s absolute very best. If they canā€™t even make ā€œsimple adjustmentsā€ to a show car, Iā€™d be very skeptical

but again, Iā€™m probably a buyer after all the hoopla.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
As someone who has done lots of trade shows, world of Cobcrete, Con-Expo type stuff, Iā€™d be concerned.

when you do a show, you put your absolute best foot forward. You make your product look itā€™s absolute very best. If they canā€™t even make ā€œsimple adjustmentsā€ to a show car, Iā€™d be very skeptical

but again, Iā€™m probably a buyer after all the hoopla.

They barely made the show deadline, and were up to the wire to get the cars there. Going back pages in this thread, the experts didnā€™t even think that was possible that cars will be there.

Who has ever brought a preproduction car to a car show and then let the public crawl all over it? It does not happen. It is like Chevrolet bringing a C8 preproduction car to the LA car show before itā€™s released. If someone does, the car is roped off and you are 10 feet away. People can crawl all over these things. Speed pretty much bared itā€™s soul and I think it is a good thing. Now we all know exactly where they are at with the car, and where they need to go. Certainly there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Given that context, and these are the first few cars out of the assembly process Iā€™m not that concerned. We are talking about SXSs here. The current bar is very low and barring a few tweaks what we saw is at least as good as what is currently on the market.

Taboma

Reaction score
My only exposure to this new Speed Car is courtesy of RDP. From the RD pics, some very cool features. Confused on the door openings. My XX doors open towards the rear, I noticed in one Speed Car pic, it seemed to as well. But then in another picture it seemed to open forward -- must be two different cars ?

One picture with a lady behind the wheel made it appear she'd have to sit on telephone books to peer over the wheel -- could be picture angle ?

The excellent forward vision is one aspect of the XX I truly appreciate, seems if you're tall enough, the Speed Car offers similar good front sight line.

I've considered a rear camera, one I can use at all speeds, especially if I mount a spare on a box blocking my rear view mirror. However, never having one in a dirt car, how long is it useful before it's rendered useless from dust ?

I didn't notice any heat shielding over the Turbo and exhaust, probably a pre-production car thing. Don't want to boil ur beer. :oops:

Two things on I noticed on the 4 seater, Holy Shit, that big guy appears to be stuffed into that seat with almost zero leg room that LOF had mentioned.
Considering what appears to be the average "Ass-size" of the show attendees, probably a good thing the seats are " Bendable" as RD mentioned.
Looks like the guy in the pic below appreciates the bending. šŸ˜

The other thing is the U-bolt for the door latch. Damn that thing appears to be some banged knees and blood letting just waiting to happen.
At least these Speed Cars don't seen to have that really tall lower door sill to step over like my XX.

Attachments

• Speed Car rear latch.jpg
    Speed Car rear latch.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 283

Roaddawg

Reaction score
My only exposure to this new Speed Car is courtesy of RDP. From the RD pics, some very cool features. Confused on the door openings. My XX doors open towards the rear, I noticed in one Speed Car pic, it seemed to as well. But then in another picture it seemed to open forward -- must be two different cars ?

One picture with a lady behind the wheel made it appear she'd have to sit on telephone books to peer over the wheel -- could be picture angle ?

The excellent forward vision is one aspect of the XX I truly appreciate, seems if you're tall enough, the Speed Car offers similar good front sight line.

I've considered a rear camera, one I can use at all speeds, especially if I mount a spare on a box blocking my rear view mirror. However, never having one in a dirt car, how long is it useful before it's rendered useless from dust ?

I didn't notice any heat shielding over the Turbo and exhaust, probably a pre-production car thing. Don't want to boil ur beer. :oops:

Two things on I noticed on the 4 seater, Holy Shit, that big guy appears to be stuffed into that seat with almost zero leg room that LOF had mentioned.
Considering what appears to be the average "Ass-size" of the show attendees, probably a good thing the seats are " Bendable" as RD mentioned.
Looks like the guy in the pic below appreciates the bending. šŸ˜

The other thing is the U-bolt for the door latch. Damn that thing appears to be some banged knees and blood letting just waiting to happen.
At least these Speed Cars don't seen to have that really tall lower door sill to step over like my XX.

The front doors open forward and the rear doors open to the back. The back seat is tight if the front seats are all the way back. Unless the driver/front passenger is really tall it shouldn't be a problem.

Raffit78

Reaction score
Iā€™ve been in one RZR 7 years ago in glamis during New Years. Itā€™s not my deal.

However, I like where Robby Gordon is going with this. He has a reputable name and heā€™s breaking the ā€œruleā€ by entering a space that is controlled by only a few.

The profits are astronomical for the future. As any new first product launch. Itā€™s hard for it to be perfect. Everyday that goes by, new technology is released so it would seem youā€™re always working from the rears.

After the first initial launch and when he gets that ball rolling, heā€™s going to be in good shape.

I still remember the first released tesla to the masses. When freezing cold. The door handles would be frozen shut, too much rain, rear bumper valance would fall off.

Now Tesla is arguably the biggest talk around town. The technology, the impact it has done.

I donā€™t believe the first car release from Robby will be great, but it will be decent. I think his future cars will be substantially better. Good for him to take this type of a risk.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What isnā€™t shown in these pics is that Robby also brought his prototype 4 seat RZR 800 from 2009 to the show. It was off to the side of the booth. It is unreal to see how far things have come in 12 years!

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Th
They barely made the show deadline, and were up to the wire to get the cars there. Going back pages in this thread, the experts didnā€™t even think that was possible that cars will be there.

Who has ever brought a preproduction car to a car show and then let the public crawl all over it? It does not happen. It is like Chevrolet bringing a C8 preproduction car to the LA car show before itā€™s released. If someone does, the car is roped off and you are 10 feet away. People can crawl all over these things. Speed pretty much bared itā€™s soul and I think it is a good thing. Now we all know exactly where they are at with the car, and where they need to go. Certainly there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Given that context, and these are the first few cars out of the assembly process Iā€™m not that concerned. We are talking about SXSs here. The current bar is very low and barring a few tweaks what we saw is at least as good as what is currently on the market.

The difference to me is he has taken quite a few deposits. Just Sayin

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Iā€™ve been in one RZR 7 years ago in glamis during New Years. Itā€™s not my deal.

However, I like where Robby Gordon is going with this. He has a reputable name and heā€™s breaking the ā€œruleā€ by entering a space that is controlled by only a few.

The profits are astronomical for the future. As any new first product launch. Itā€™s hard for it to be perfect. Everyday that goes by, new technology is released so it would seem youā€™re always working from the rears.

After the first initial launch and when he gets that ball rolling, heā€™s going to be in good shape.

I still remember the first released tesla to the masses. When freezing cold. The door handles would be frozen shut, too much rain, rear bumper valance would fall off.

Now Tesla is arguably the biggest talk around town. The technology, the impact it has done.

I donā€™t believe the first car release from Robby will be great, but it will be decent. I think his future cars will be substantially better. Good for him to take this type of a risk.

Agreed. I fully expect a handful of dumb little problems. For the price paid, I can deal.

riverroyal

Reaction score
'They barely made the show'.
Sorry guys you are going to miss this desert season.
They will get the car right for production, but unless you see 50-100 of these in crates today and ready to ship you will be driving a different utv this season.

Missing pieces is not a good sign at time of the process.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Th

The difference to me is he has taken quite a few deposits. Just Sayin

And? No one has taken delivery of a chassis looking like that. These arenā€™t going into production tomorrow. Let them finish the final details.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
'They barely made the show'.
Sorry guys you are going to miss this desert season.
They will get the car right for production, but unless you see 50-100 of these in crates today and ready to ship you will be driving a different utv this season.

Missing pieces is not a good sign at time of the process.

LOL wasnā€™t it you saying 4 months ago that they wouldnā€™t have chassis production set up for 9 months....and now we have complete cars?

I might end up owing you a beer, but youā€™ve been wrong about every other prediction youā€™ve made this year about these things. We are 60 to 120 days out from production of these things, and that will determine delivery times.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing them this afternoon! Honestly, I'm surprised they got the pre-production ones there. You guys try buying basic materials/chemicals these days?? Stuff is in short supply. I saw that there are over 80 cargo vessels anchored or drifting outside of the LA Ports.

Good for them!!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Did they admit there was fit and finish issues and did they admit they will correct them before production eventually starts.

I agree you are not going to see this for this dune season. Covid delays and lack of parts is hurting all industries.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I appreciate the effort they have made but the result is embarrassing. People still defending the junk seen at the sand show remind me of people that voted for Biden and keep saying ā€œjust wait and see things are going to get betterā€

Agree. The Sycophants have lost credibility.

I appreciate and respect that but as a spokesman some objectivity would be appreciated. LOF is a smart dude. He gets it.

truthful reporting isnā€™t ā€œbashingā€

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
UTV sales prices and availability won't settle down back to normal until mid-2023.
Anything can happen in the mean time.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I appreciate the effort they have made but the result is embarrassing. People still defending the junk seen at the sand show remind me of people that voted for Biden and keep saying ā€œjust wait and see things are going to get betterā€

Thatā€™s exactly how I feel except for the haters..

Seeing the engine in the bed of one of those.. Iā€™m not sure people know how much work it is to develop that from scratch. Seeing the turbo kit. The same. Seeing the car assembled and functional even if it isnā€™t perfect.

To do all of that in this time frame? Itā€™s unbelievable to put it mildly. To get in on something like this at these price points? Itā€™s unbelievable.

Yes it wasnā€™t perfect.. but by god man.. what do you think a can am with hydraulic steering, this style suspension (not possible), and 300 reliable hp would cost? 65-70-80??

These kinds are climbing mountains and everyone is talking about the route they are taking while looking up from the base camp.

Itā€™s a little embarrassing for them.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Agreed. I fully expect a handful of dumb little problems. For the price paid, I can deal.

I haven't figured out my calculation between saving $ and being stuck in the desert with my fam for some "dumb little reason." Everything breaks eventually why start out that way? lol.
I haven't followed the build too much but shouldn't a prototype or "pre-production" anything should be better than a production piece? Production is just trying to achieve the same level of quality in mass quantity by the most efficient and cost effective means.
I will own one of the speed cars in the future I'm sure but Jesus, the kool-aid you guys are drinking is made with sweat from Robby's nuts.
Am I wrong to think the that the customers will be doing the real testing of these first vehicles? Unless I missed somewhere that they will spend a few months to do real world testing of "pre-production" units. Maybe 10+ units for 10 thousand+ miles and do repeated tear downs and inspections along the way to make corrections for final production as needed. That would be about 40 days of 250miles of testing.....
flame away.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
God willing and I mean God willing ā€œSpeed Carā€ will succeed. Problem never mentioned around here The whole deal is ROBBY GORDON,every piece of that car is Robby Gordon.Without him involved in every aspect from drawing the car on a napkin to delivery to LOF there will be no SPEED CAR. In the off road vehicle world Robby is todays Henry Ford. I do not understand all the negative towards a man and his ability to produce his product. Because of personal effort Robby Gordon has succeeded in life and business. From the looks of it about a year from now ā€œSpeed Carā€ owners will be seen rolling on city streets and sand dunes if Robby Gordon is involved. He does not need your money,he wants his car built.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I haven't figured out my calculation between saving $ and being stuck in the desert with my fam for some "dumb little reason." Everything breaks eventually why start out that way? lol.
I haven't followed the build too much but shouldn't a prototype or "pre-production" anything should be better than a production piece? Production is just trying to achieve the same level of quality in mass quantity by the most efficient and cost effective means.
I will own one of the speed cars in the future I'm sure but Jesus, the kool-aid you guys are drinking is made with sweat from Robby's nuts.
Am I wrong to think the that the customers will be doing the real testing of these first vehicles? Unless I missed somewhere that they will spend a few months to do real world testing of "pre-production" units. Maybe 10+ units for 10 thousand+ miles and do repeated tear downs and inspections along the way to make corrections for final production as needed. That would be about 40 days of 250miles of testing.....
flame away.

Everyone has been stuck in the desert because of a dumb little Polaris or CanAm reason too. Iā€™m not sure what your expectation is here.

Yea we are doing some marketing, To some degree testing and feedback for them. That is why it was $32k. The cars in 2 years will be better and cost $45k. We already got a bunch of updates to the original design because of testing and delays. They pulled those design changes into the debut model instead of waiting until next year.

If you think Polaris and Can Am do much more than what Speed is doing developing a car, I donā€™t know what to tell you... they donā€™t.

You havenā€™t been following, so you arenā€™t aware.... They have been testing the drivetrain components for a year now. Test mules have been out this whole year. The publicly shown cars are just that.. what has been public.

Point out to me where the preproduction Polaris Pro R was that I could go sit in at the show? Iā€™ve been hearing out them for 2 years...

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I agree the $60k RZRs with stereos seats and wheels in the Berts booth were embarrassing.

baja-chris

Reaction score
I'm way more stressed about not being able to find a 25x50 storage condo in Havasu than I am about not getting my Speed UTV.
How long does it take to get a new Howard once they announce a new model? I would not know, since I gave up on them even answering the phone when I was ready to order. It would seem RG stepped on his dick when he first announced timelines, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the reported progress. It's gonna be sweet.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Just from what Iā€™ve read here and a few other places, if the showing of the cars at the Offroad Expo isnā€™t way better Iā€™d say that the whole deal seems hokey. People talking about ā€œrushedā€ wait arenā€™t these already over a year late? How rushed is that really?

Dirty Air

Reaction score
possibly. I will check with my buddy next week. He might want to move to a four seater and he could part with his. If I get the two on Monday I will let him have one of them.
Awesome RD šŸ‘šŸ¼ Looking forward to it, Thank you!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just from what Iā€™ve read here and a few other places, if the showing of the cars at the Offroad Expo isnā€™t way better Iā€™d say that the whole deal seems hokey. People talking about ā€œrushedā€ wait arenā€™t these already over a year late? How rushed is that really?

The off-road expo is going to be the same cars. My advice to anyone is if you donā€™t like them, donā€™t buy one.

I donā€™t even get the complaints now.

Are you mad the car you didnā€™t put a deposit down on is late because they did more testing and didnā€™t rush to production during supply chain issues?

Or are you mad the car you didnā€™t put a deposit down on is late and they should have just rushed to production without any testing and encountered supply chain issues?

If you thought you were getting a car a year ago you were out of your mind to begin with. Itā€™s funny that the only people really worried about the car are the ones with no car. You see any of the people with reservations really concerned?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You gonna answer my questions?

He said every car will be just like the preproduction cars and they are perfect in every way. There will be no improvements on the production models.

ā€œYou get what you get and you donā€™t throw a fitā€ was the quote he used I believe.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
flame away.

Well strangely thatā€™s exactly what they are doing. 10 cars testing for a month with crazy miles then turning on production. In the mean time they are dialing in the robot welds etc.

In Robby you trust! Lol

By the way.. Iā€™d be interested to hear a couple of the people that were burned alive out in the desert because of ā€œsome little problemsā€ RZR had. šŸ˜³. Or the people who died from roll cages that were deemed ā€œnot safe for roll overā€ right in the instruction manual.

Iā€™d take my chances on the preproduction speed over any stock sxs out there.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
He said every car will be just like the preproduction cars and they are perfect in every way. There will be no improvements on the production models.

ā€œYou get what you get and you donā€™t throw a fitā€ was the quote he used I believe.

So they all have a bolt welded to fill the cage welding gaps?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I canā€™t pretty much guarantee they arenā€™t gonna change that shitty weld with the bolt.. lol.

They probably will put some of the missing panels in them.

Honestly that weld with the bolt should have never left the shop. I donā€™t know what they were thinking because itā€™s been documented pretty well. They own a fab shop I think Iā€™d cut it out and fix it real quick. I think they are just pressing on trying to get the complete car and testing / production moving.

If you saw it in person and sat in it etc I think you would be chomping at the bit.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I canā€™t pretty much guarantee they arenā€™t gonna change that shitty weld with the bolt.. lol.

Honestly that weld with the bolt should have never left the shop. I donā€™t know what they were thinking because itā€™s been documented pretty well. They own a fab shop I think Iā€™d cut it out and fix it real quick. I think they are just pressing on trying to get the complete car and testing / production moving.

If you saw it in person and sat in it etc I think you would be chomping at the bit.

Look at this thread and go back a week. These preproduction cars were not going to even be here for 90 days at least. They were gonna be stuck in China, stuck on the boat, Stuck at port, theyā€™d never even be assembled by now, how would they get all the parts?

To be fair they were all about 95-98% assembled, but they magically got here, against apparently all odds. šŸ˜‚

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Look at this thread and go back a week. These preproduction cars were not going to even be here for 90 days at least. They were gonna be stuck in China, stuck on the boat, Stuck at port... theyā€™d never even be assembled by now.

To be fair they were all about 95-98% assembled, but they magically got here, against apparently all odds. šŸ˜‚

The negativity from team ā€œnever done anything in my lifeā€ is astounding..

I am still blown away by the power plant.. people donā€™t understand what it takes just to make the tooling for those castings etc.. itā€™s fucking crazy to me that he is already this far ahead in the game.

Groper

Reaction score
Does anybody know of someone that has a pre order 2 seat El diablo LE that wants to sell their spot? I got cash in hand and ready to pull the trigger. I was going to pre order Last year when the price was lower but was not financially able to. I understand that some have become available on Facebook but I'm not much of a social media guy (No FaceF*ck account) any help would be appreciated.
What site on FB did you see a 2 seater come up for sale ?
I'll take a spot if one comes up as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The negativity from team ā€œnever done anything in my lifeā€ is astounding..

I am still blown away by the power plant.. people donā€™t understand what it takes just to make the tooling for those castings etc.. itā€™s fucking crazy to me that he is already this far ahead in the game.

Iā€™ll agree that we donā€™t know how durable it will be over time yet, but it looks legit and on paper itā€™s the best thing going in a UTV. And the power it seems to be making is real. Itā€™s way faster on 32ā€s than a stock RR Can Am on 30ā€ big horns.

When this deal started a ā€œnewā€ engine wasnā€™t even part of the proposition.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Iā€™ll agree that we donā€™t know how durable it will be over time yet, but it looks legit and on paper itā€™s the best thing going in a UTV. And the power it seems to be making is real. Itā€™s way faster on 32ā€s than a stock RR Can Am on 30ā€ big horns.

When this deal started a ā€œnewā€ engine wasnā€™t even part of the proposition.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. You could drop millions off anywhere and say give me a legit turbo motor in two years and they would laugh and say that doesnā€™t even cover the engineering let alone the tooling..

Itā€™s crazy.. and people are saying they havenā€™t done enough / fast enough?

And Iā€™m on Robbyā€™s nuts?

These people are living in fantasy land..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. You could drop millions off anywhere and say give me a legit turbo motor in two years and they would laugh and say that doesnā€™t even cover the engineering let alone the tooling..

Itā€™s crazy.. and people are saying they havenā€™t done enough / fast enough?

And Iā€™m on Robbyā€™s nuts?

These people are living in fantasy land..

And its all not all 100% hand made in the USA from the finest billet ingots, with no foreign sourced parts. And I demand 100% perfection in fit, finish, and functionality for 30k off road miles.

Meanwhile I have $30k Can Am designed by Canadians, made by Mexicans, with all Chinese parts that I had to spend another $20k on to make it hold together and I only drive it 200 miles a year at 30MPH on the street because it is too rough in Havasu to drive off-road.

But yea spending $35k on a Speed car and being done, with all of it done at the factory and under warranty is stupid. šŸ˜‚

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The off-road expo is going to be the same cars. My advice to anyone is if you donā€™t like them, donā€™t buy one.

I donā€™t even get the complaints now.

Are you mad the car you didnā€™t put a deposit down on is late because they did more testing and didnā€™t rush to production during supply chain issues?

Or are you mad the car you didnā€™t put a deposit down on is late and they should have just rushed to production without any testing and encountered supply chain issues?

If you thought you were getting a car a year ago you were out of your mind to begin with. Itā€™s funny that the only people really worried about the car are the ones with no car. You see any of the people with reservations really concerned?

Hahaha Yea Iā€™m mad šŸ¤¦šŸ¼because the car that i see in the photos looks hokey as hell. Any fab shop thatā€™s using a bolt to fill a gap shouldnā€™t be fabbing, RG never shouldā€™ve let go of his head fab guy Roger all those years ago.
Sounds like SEMA has made its way over to the SSSS, but yea Iā€™m still mad cause my Tatum isnā€™t 4wd šŸ¤¦šŸ¼

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

We ran with them in Parker back in January, Iā€™ll never say that RG canā€™t drive, hell heā€™d be twice as fast if he just slowed down a little, but i will say to allow that out of the shop headed to a show was a horrible idea. To think it wouldnā€™t be seen is insane. I am sure when they are done it will be a bad ass ride, but itā€™s a key of When!

Status
Not open for further replies.