WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Ok let’s talk about the “bolt”

I know it looks like a bolt, well it actually looks like all thread. Do you think it could be a bunch of wire from the wire feed welder? That seems a hell of a lot more likely than a bolt being put in a joint by a robot welder.

If it was a bolt, there is no head on it. If someone ground the head off, they would have ground the threads off the bolt. That weld has not been ground down.

I mean no disrespect as I think we see eye to eye on most things. But really, did you just suggest that is welding wire?? Shit happens and yes they used a bolt to fill a gap to make sure they made it here on time from china.. but trying to stick up for that and say that is "ok" is next level.. lol

I think these cars are going to be "next level" but it's not going to be the first production run, or probably even the second. Especially being a complete new adventure with no experience in "production" level cars.

I wish RG the best as I know these cars have potential. And will be at the top of the game once the bugs are worked out. But on that note, I'll keep my comments to myself..

Joe mama

Reaction score
This is no different than Ford lovers or Chev lovers or neither. Who cares!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect as I think we see eye to eye on most things. But really, did you just suggest that is welding wire?? Shit happens and yes they used a bolt to fill a gap to make sure they made it here on time from china.. but trying to stick up for that and say that is "ok" is next level.. lol

I think these cars are going to be "next level" but it's not going to be the first production run, or probably even the second. Especially being a complete new adventure with no experience in "production" level cars.

I wish RG the best as I know these cars have potential. And will be at the top of the game once the bugs are worked out. But on that note, I'll keep my comments to myself..

Im not gonna argue if it is a screw or not, it probably is. I don’t know how fine a robot welder can go, so I was asking the question.

I’ve never said these will be without flaws. Nothing is, and that really isn’t even an expectation now or 5 years from now.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
LOF, I have no dog in this hunt but if you stop posting in this thread this thread just might take a rest which is likely what it needs. It’s obvious you do have a dog in this and you’re shilling this freaking car like nobody else including posdibly Robby Gordon.

I’ve seen a lot in my years and this product and, on this website, is a lot more hype than reality. If and when it does come out the product will speak for itself with no need of your help.

One other issue here is all the talk about the value of slots and the order of purchasers and selling them. IMO that’s something that’s taking a lot attention away from the actual product itself and really smells fishy as it appears to be undermining the product itself.

Keep in mind, there have been far larger companies with greater hype and promise that have failed and gone down in a ball of flames. If this company were to not deliver product and the investors pull out and potential buyers lose all their money, it wouldn’t be the first time.

I hope that’s not the case but, as an outsider it seems to me there’s something about all this is a bit off and i think there is some potential to go sideways. I hope that doesn’t happen and no one gets burned.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
That weld has not been ground down.
This quote right here in regards to the mystery “bolt” reveals to me everything about what your knowledge is when it comes to metal fabrication and best practices. I apologize for engaging with you and not realizing you were a simpleton when it comes structural integrity of proper engineering and that real welders do not “grind” their welds.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This quote right here in regards to the mystery “bolt” reveals to me everything about what your knowledge is when it comes to metal fabrication and best practices. I apologize for engaging with you and not realizing you were a simpleton when it comes structural integrity of proper engineering and that real welders do not “grind” their welds.

Enjoy that Polaris sir!

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Enjoy that Polaris sir!

Here, use this.

4B6AEA0A-773D-4804-921C-2ECD47B804AF.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
LOF, I have no dog in this hunt but if you stop posting in this thread this thread just might take a rest which is likely what it needs. It’s obvious you do have a dog in this and you’re shilling this freaking car like nobody else including posdibly Robby Gordon.

I’ve seen a lot in my years and this product and, on this website, is a lot more hype than reality. If and when it does come out the product will speak for itself with no need of your help.

One other issue here is all the talk about the value of slots and the order of purchasers and selling them. IMO that’s something that’s taking a lot attention away from the actual product itself and really smells fishy as it appears to be undermining the product itself.

Keep in mind, there have been far larger companies with greater hype and promise that have failed and gone down in a ball of flames. If this company were to not deliver product and the investors pull out and potential buyers lose all their money, it wouldn’t be the first time.

I hope that’s not the case but, as an outsider it seems to me there’s something about all this is a bit off and i think there is some potential to go sideways. I hope that doesn’t happen and no one gets burned.

Robby Gordon didn’t get this far in life by spending $20m to swindle $10m and piss off every powersports conglomerate in the southwest. He’s got half a billion in pending orders. Will those commits he can get any money he would need to finish the project and produce cars.

The cars will come when they come. Why do you care, you don’t have a dog in the fight?

If the car sucks, I will sell it. It is really that simple. I have 0 worry that Speed is going to walk with the money and not deliver something.

Icky

Reaction score
By the time this car is finished, Canam and Polaris will have built something faster and comparable.
Either way, you still have to wear a helmet in glamis. I took my 30k and bought an SCU that I'll have just a much fun with.

yz450mm

Reaction score
If that is a first run production line machine, then the robot welding specs were way off, or the jig was way off.

Robbie has probably been screaming at everybody to get these cars out to meet the show, and somebody in the factory attempted to grab a welder and fill the gap with whatever means available.

Factory workers are not welders or fabricators, and Robbie apparently didn't have the time to Quality Control that unit before it got to the show. He should have caught it and fixed it, that's his job.

In my opinion, he should have reduced the amount of cars from 4 to 2, and made sure those two cars that he presented were flawless. But to each their own, and I still think that the Speed cars are going to blow everything else out of the water once they are perfected.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
By the time this car is finished, Canam and Polaris will have built something faster and comparable.
Either way, you still have to wear a helmet in glamis. I took my 30k and bought an SCU that I'll have just a much fun with.

Smart plan. Can Am has minor changes for ‘22. Polaris has a car we’ve been hearing rumors about for 2 years and as of now has nothing wider than 64” cars for ‘22.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If that is a first run production line machine, then the robot welding specs were way off, or the jig was way off.

Robbie has probably been screaming at everybody to get these cars out to meet the show, and somebody in the factory attempted to grab a welder and fill the gap with whatever means available.

Factory workers are not welders or fabricators, and Robbie apparently didn't have the time to Quality Control that unit before it got to the show. He should have caught it and fixed it, that's his job.

In my opinion, he should have reduced the amount of cars from 4 to 2, and made sure those two cars that he presented were flawless. But to each their own, and I still think that the Speed cars are going to blow everything else out of the water once they are perfected.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I agree.

riverroyal

Reaction score
All thread or bolt, it doesn't matter. They are basically the same. I have 35 years of welding and metal knowledge in my head. It's my living.
They filled a gap with a foreign metal object. That means the fit up was poor and jumping your weld across the missing material was not possible. It's not possible because you can't carry even heat or even molten metal.
So, with that said there are numerous issues here. Poor fitment on two sections needing to be welded. That should have been corrected. You can bridge for a mile if you want to line things up poorly.
Now, the bigger problem..... Your weld will not evenly distribute heat and material. You now have 3 pieces steel and 2 welds joining them.
If this was pipe with water in it that's one thing, all your doing is holding in water. But for a stress point this is absolute failure eventually. Even if the 2 welds looks amazing your still creating a weak location.

I think my point was that fit up is lazy. It could have been filled with something other than a bolt and cleaned up. Still not a good idea but for a preproduction show piece it would have taken another 2 hours to do it right.
That bolt alone and weld raise huge red flags. I dont care how much unproven hp it has or how much suspension it has.
Speed just showed me they are NO better than can am or Polaris for build quality.

As far as can am needing a bulk head support. I don't have one, probably a good idea. To believe speed cars will need nothing done is a ridiculous idea. They will, which is fine. They all do. Once you guys start breaking stuff the modifications will start, no big deal.

The real bench racers (me included) will need to see these speed cars in the final set up.

All they had to do was make another 2 passes over that bolt and grind it down. Someone should have never let that leave
Also, lots of weld spatter for a going on. Something was not set up right or should have never been welding

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
All thread or bolt, it doesn't matter. They are basically the same. I have 35 years of welding and metal knowledge in my head. It's my living.
They filled a gap with a foreign metal object. That means the fit up was poor and jumping your weld across the missing material was not possible. It's not possible because you can't carry even heat or even molten metal.
So, with that said there are numerous issues here. Poor fitment on two sections needing to be welded. That should have been corrected. You can bridge for a mile if you want to line things up poorly.
Now, the bigger problem..... Your weld will not evenly distribute heat and material. You now have 3 pieces steel and 2 welds joining them.
If this was pipe with water in it that's one thing, all your doing is holding in water. But for a stress point this is absolute failure eventually. Even if the 2 welds looks amazing your still creating a weak location.

I think my point was that fit up is lazy. It could have been filled with something other than a bolt and cleaned up. Still not a good idea but for a preproduction show piece it would have taken another 2 hours to do it right.
That bolt alone and weld raise huge red flags. I dont care how much unproven hp it has or how much suspension it has.
Speed just showed me they are NO better than can am or Polaris for build quality.

As far as can am needing a bulk head support. I don't have one, probably a good idea. To believe speed cars will need nothing done is a ridiculous idea. They will, which is fine. They all do. Once you guys start breaking stuff the modifications will start, no big deal.

The real bench racers (me included) will need to see these speed cars in the final set up.

All they had to do was make another 2 passes over that bolt and grind it down. Someone should have never let that leave
Also, lots of weld spatter for a going on. Something was not set up right or should have never been welding

But the monkeybutt guy said no one has ever dressed a shitty weld with a grinder ever in the history of the world.

Steve I’m not saying it is a good joint, but if you are going to judge the entire project off of a weld on a test car from the first batch of cars that is never going to be sold to the public, I don’t know what else to tell you other than that seems like an odd position.

Wouldn’t you defer to the final product to make that judgement? You and many here accept shitty toyhauler final products that need repair instantly for years. You just deal with it and move on.

But this Speed car must be perfect from start to finish in every iteration for you to accept it? They aren’t allowed to make a mistake?

That is the inconsistent logic I can’t understand.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Robby Gordon didn’t get this far in life by spending $20m to swindle $10m and piss off every powersports conglomerate in the southwest. He’s got half a billion in pending orders. Will those commits he can get any money he would need to finish the project and produce cars.

The cars will come when they come. Why do you care, you don’t have a dog in the fight?

If the car sucks, I will sell it. It is really that simple. I have 0 worry that Speed is going to walk with the money and not deliver something.

I did not accuse anyone of swindling anyone. Reread my post and look back in history about companies bigger than this that have failed for a variety of reasons.

You’re really busy defending a company to people who are asking fair, logical questions. At the end of the day what matters is the product they bring to the market if and when they do. Until then the company has taken lots of orders and there are many people who have given them their money while places in line are being sold like investments.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

Maybe a field repair? You know, 2 Jeep batteries, jumper cables and some wet 6013? Hoodless, mind you. 😎

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I did not accuse anyone of swindling anyone. Reread my post and look back in history about companies bigger than this that have failed for a variety of reasons.

You’re really busy defending a company to people who are asking fair, logical questions. At the end of the day what matters is the product they bring to the market if and when they do. Until then the company has taken lots of orders and there are many people who have given them their money while places in line are being sold like investments.

When a stock RZR with wheels, tires, seats, Cage and a wrap is $60k... the prospect and value of a $32k car promising more power, more travel, bigger shocks and more safety along jumping towards the front of the line has a bit more value than $32k doesn’t it?

You are asking questions that have very simple answers..

If you have a car and don’t want the serialized spot you purchased, you can easily sell it for profit or no profit and wash your hands of the whole thing. If you don’t have a spot what does any of this matter? Watch it unfold and see what happens.

If you are going to base your complete judgement on the product on the preproduction cars, you are free to do that, go ahead.

If the cars don’t perform as advertised or have the quality we were told they may have, what do you care as you don’t own one? For those that own one they can sell it or keep it, that is on them. That is part of the risk of buying a new product.

I have a pretty good idea of what I’ll be getting. I also know what I won’t be getting. I have done my diligence on the product and am satisfied to this point.

Why is everyone seem to be so concerned how other people choose to spend their money?

702sandman

Reaction score
Smart plan. Can Am has minor changes for ‘22. Polaris has a car we’ve been hearing rumors about for 2 years and as of now has nothing wider than 64” cars for ‘22.

there is Lots of changes coming I’m sure from Polaris and Can am 😎 I’m willing to bet money that there will be some feelings Hurt when and if they release something new. Robbie is talented for sure, but I think I would have pushed the reveal off a day or so to make sure they were as dialed as possible to eliminate some of the negative reviews.

outboard_256

Reaction score
But the monkeybutt guy said no one has ever dressed a shitty weld with a grinder ever in the history of the world.

Steve I’m not saying it is a good joint, but if you are going to judge the entire project off of a weld on a test car from the first batch of cars that is never going to be sold to the public, I don’t know what else to tell you other than that seems like an odd position.

Wouldn’t you defer to the final product to make that judgement? You and many here accept shitty toyhauler final products that need repair instantly for years. You just deal with it and move on.

But this Speed car must be perfect from start to finish in every iteration for you to accept it? They aren’t allowed to make a mistake?

That is the inconsistent logic I can’t understand.

I don't think you understand how big a deal it is to have a 1/4-1/2" gap in a roll cage fitment. Then on top of that knowing weld a bolt in to cover that fitment issue. That means they saw there mistake and tried to cover it up hoping no one would see it. That joint is not safe at all. This is not a shitty weld as you keep saying, this is a cover up for a bad roll cage design, jig, bender, etc. The issue was before the welder even got there. So this tells me they have problems and instead of fixing them they knowingly cover it up.

HitIt

Reaction score
Do all of you that are angry about the bolt in the weld think that the dimensions of the gusset are not going to be changed before production? Do you think that every gusset for every production car has already been cut? This is a ridiculously simple fix.

Sure, it looks (really) shitty but it is still pre-production. They were obviously going fast to make the show. Someone caught the problem and fixed it quickly and most likely at the last minute before it went out for powder coating. Mistakes are made when dialing things in and if you present a pre-production product it will naturally be imperfect. I don't think these cars were presented as final products, were they? If anyone gets a production car with a bolt used as a gap filler, then roast away.

Would you rather see 3 pre-production cars or 4 (one with a gap on one gusset that was filled) at a show? I am sure every car had a flaw. If only flawless cars were to be shown, would you rather see none?

That said, it really does look terrible (not just the bolt but the entire weld) and I am sure someone got their ass handed to them over it.

HitIt

Reaction score
That joint is not safe at all.
Right. And I am sure that RG saw that and was like, "Yep, this looks great. Rather than tweak the part, we should incorporate the gap filling bolt into every production car."

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
As the resident CWI (certified welding inspector) all I got is this thread is freaking comedy. What’s the saying. It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re a fool, instead of opening it and proving without a doubt. Something like that.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Do all of you that are angry about the bolt in the weld think that the dimensions of the gusset are not going to be changed before production? Do you think that every gusset for every production car has already been cut? This is a ridiculously simple fix.

Sure, it looks (really) shitty but it is still pre-production. They were obviously going fast to make the show. Someone caught the problem and fixed it quickly and most likely at the last minute before it went out for powder coating. Mistakes are made when dialing things in and if you present a pre-production product it will naturally be imperfect. I don't think these cars were presented as final products, were they? If anyone gets a production car with a bolt used as a gap filler, then roast away.

Would you rather see 3 pre-production cars or 4 (one with a gap on one gusset that was filled) at a show? I am sure every car had a flaw. If only flawless cars were to be shown, would you rather see none?

That said, it really does look terrible (not just the bolt but the entire weld) and I am sure someone got their ass handed to them over it.
I could make that “mistake” look better with my eyes closed. I’m being serious… I’be been messing around just welding by sound and all my welds look better than that. 😁

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I hope these cars are going to be great it helps other manufacturers step up their game. Not sure why all the hate for can am and Polaris on here they seem to be fairly popular and something Robbie is trying to compete with and after the last few presentations it seem to be pretty personal that HE make a better product to prove he’s the man. Nothing wrong with that at all that’s kinda how most industries are but the hate for the current kings of the market seems a little strong.

I’m in line for a SXS right now and hoping to get it soon and looking forward to making great memories with my family just like I do with my boat!

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score

You argue like a child. Putting words to my statements pisses me off, I never said the quote above, go back and try to have the mental capability to comprehend what I said. The fact that you are a “moderator” is troublesome, you do not even have basic reading comprehension skills.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I could make that “mistake” look better with my eyes closed. I’m being serious… I’be been messing around just welding by sound and all my welds look better than that. 😁

Of course. It’s clearly a mistake someone missed. If they were trying to sell that to someone it is a different story. This is a car for testing. The whole purpose of a preproduction car is to work out the mistakes.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't think you understand how big a deal it is to have a 1/4-1/2" gap in a roll cage fitment. Then on top of that knowing weld a bolt in to cover that fitment issue. That means they saw there mistake and tried to cover it up hoping no one would see it. That joint is not safe at all. This is not a shitty weld as you keep saying, this is a cover up for a bad roll cage design, jig, bender, etc. The issue was before the welder even got there. So this tells me they have problems and instead of fixing them they knowingly cover it up.

I know it is an issue. And it is a small gusset we are talking about, not a tube intersection. Do you understand what preproduction means?Again are we judging the entire project based on the first cars assembled that aren’t being sold to customers?

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
there is Lots of changes coming I’m sure from Polaris and Can am 😎 I’m willing to bet money that there will be some feelings Hurt when and if they release something new. Robbie is talented for sure, but I think I would have pushed the reveal off a day or so to make sure they were as dialed as possible to eliminate some of the negative reviews.

SXS are like smartphones. No ones feelings are gonna be hurt, just get a new one with the latest gadgets every few years. These cars are all to the point now where very very few of us are even using them to their full potential.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Of course. It’s clearly a mistake someone missed. If they were trying to sell that to someone it is a different story. This is a car for testing. The whole purpose of a preproduction car is to work out the mistakes.
We do mock ups in construction all the time. It’s nothing new. We don’t have the inspector look at shit.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You argue like a child. Putting words to my statements pisses me off, I never said the quote above, go back and try to have the mental capability to comprehend what I said. The fact that you are a “moderator” is troublesome, you do not even have basic reading comprehension skills.

Man you are really worked up over an off road toy you aren’t even going to purchase.
Speed is not your business, and a bolt in a weld is not your problem. Maybe it will get fixed, and maybe they will never revise that tube gusset and every car will have a bolt in it. I guess we will have to wait and see, but one scenario seems a lot more likely than another.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We do mock ups in construction all the time. It’s nothing new. We don’t have the inspector look at shit.

Of course, why would you, its a mock up for testing? Honesty the fit up of that gusset was probably addressed a month ago or more. These are all laser cut and machine bent pieces. They aren't going to throw some all thread in every car off the line, that burns too much time when just fixing the gusset design would take an hour and fix all cars going forward.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

the only thing you know is what RG wants you to know. Stop pretending like you have inside factual info on the process. It’s pretty clear at this point you are just being a parrot of propaganda.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You guys should see some of the hand-built, pre-production cars from real carmakers that I’ve seen/worked with over the years…LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats why they keep you 20 feet away at a car show!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
the only thing you know is what RG wants you to know. Stop pretending like you have inside factual info on the process. It’s pretty clear at this point you are just being a parrot of propaganda.

In that case, it’s clear that you know less than I do on the process.

DC-88

Reaction score
Whoever forgot to dress up that joint with some JB weld and rattle can it black before it went viral will be "eliminated"

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
In that case, it’s clear that you know less than I do on the process.

exactly but I can see you are full of it on this whole process because you are so in love with it that you refuse to see anything else

also news flash. No one is gonna pay him 120k to have a hand built one. They will buy a real car at that price range

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
exactly but I can see you are full of it on this whole process because you are so in love with it that you refuse to see anything else

also news flash. No one is gonna pay him 120k to have a hand built one. They will buy a real car at that price range

He claims to have sold 6 of them already. But he’s probably lying and is documenting the building of the 6 chassis in his shop just to save face to you.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
So where’s the pic of the bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonesfab

Reaction score
Lucky the show was in a better hood. If it was like the LA auto show, That thing would have been a bare carcass after the vultures were done picking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.