WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Should Dave place his children in the cooler or spare gas tank ? In our case, just the wife and I, so two seater works fine. But your Ultra 4 car wouldn't get far up in our area, unless you brought a chain saw in order to remove a number of pesky pine trees.
My question was what do I need back seats for, not what Dave needs back seats for.

Are the pine trees spaced exactly 72" apart in your area? My U4 is 80" wide. Some guys with the 72" wide side by sides end up wider than that when they put bigger tires and different wheels on them, so they could be in trouble up there too. If 8" makes the firm difference between passable or not on a constant basis, I'm not thinking that's a trail I'd find all that fun no matter what vehicle I'm in.

Taboma

Reaction score
My question was what do I need back seats for, not what Dave needs back seats for.

Are the pine trees spaced exactly 72" apart in your area? My U4 is 80" wide. Some guys with the 72" wide side by sides end up wider than that when they put bigger tires and different wheels on them, so they could be in trouble up there too. If 8" makes the firm difference between passable or not on a constant basis, I'm not thinking that's a trail I'd find all that fun no matter what vehicle I'm in.

Our Wildcat XX is only 64" wide, and I wouldn't want any wider. Our last RZR was only 60" wide and 106" long, in some places the XX at 64" wide and 136" feels really tight, or I simply don't even go there anymore, or risk having to back out, rather than being able to get turned around.

Obviously, not the area or type of terrain you use yours on. We use ours on our ranch and in the mountains, not Havasu, or Glamis type of ridding. Despite having a place in Havasu for the past 26 years, never been offroad there at all, mostly because apparently everybody else does. 😁

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Real Speed UTV news-

They will be racing one of their Speed race cars in a week and a half at UTV WC in Havasu. It will be interesting to see how the car looks out there and how well it does.
Im looking forward to Speed racing at UTV World in Havasu this month, They will have some pressure to perform in race conditions but this is RG's wheelhouse, I expect it to be very positive for them. I wish them well to make a bold statement for the new Sheriff in town.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Im looking forward to Speed racing at UTV World in Havasu this month, They will have some pressure to perform in race conditions but this is RG's wheelhouse, I expect it to be very positive for them. I wish them well to make a bold statement for the new Sheriff in town.

As am I. The car they are building had Speed Tires on it (the ones that come with the Speed UTV). I was wondering if those are the tires they are going to run out there. We will see.

What I have always liked about the RG/Speed UTV race program is that their race cars look really close to the production cars.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
As said earlier.

Ultra 4 is a spec class created for the King of the Hammers. Now they race other events which at first they did not. There is nothing better at king of the hammers for the actual race. Top end cars are probably around 500k to build.

2 Can Am cars not only finished the 4400 class they came in 11th and 21st which was pretty impressive of those teams and builds.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Our Wildcat XX is only 64" wide, and I wouldn't want any wider. Our last RZR was only 60" wide and 106" long, in some places the XX at 64" wide and 136" feels really tight, or I simply don't even go there anymore, or risk having to back out, rather than being able to get turned around.

Obviously, not the area or type of terrain you use yours on. We use ours on our ranch and in the mountains, not Havasu, or Glamis type of ridding. Despite having a place in Havasu for the past 26 years, never been offroad there at all, mostly because apparently everybody else does. 😁

At 77" wide the Speed car is at the limit of what I'd say is useable for some of the tight trail stuff in Havasu. My current RZR with aftermarket wheels is 68".

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm nowhere near Havasu and my car is kept in NV. That means driving out there, picking up the car, driving to Havasu and then doing it all in reverse. Hardly worth it just to prove a point to someone who knows everything about everything on an Internet forum.
I don't remember specifically, but I think I offered to cover that cost if you won. It was also over 2 years ago so I could be wrong.

Gas was much cheaper then :)

Taboma

Reaction score
At 77" wide the Speed car is at the limit of what I'd say is useable for some of the tight trail stuff in Havasu. My current RZR with aftermarket wheels is 68".

We enjoy exploring into the furthest reaches of our numerous mountain washes, this means navigating between trees, horribly nasty bushes, like needle sharp scrub oak and often between huge boulders. This can go on for some distance, so assuming you could get in, backing all the way out would not be fun. There's a few upper canyons I can't easily access now I could with my RZR. But the ride is more comfortable and overall we enjoy spending time in the car more than before. Especially now after all the heat and dust mitigation alterations. We're mostly about exploring, enjoying mother nature and looking for critters, except bulls, my wife does not like having stand offs with them glaring at us.

HCP3

Reaction score
As am I. The car they are building had Speed Tires on it (the ones that come with the Speed UTV). I was wondering if those are the tires they are going to run out there. We will see.

What I have always liked about the RG/Speed UTV race program is that their race cars look really close to the production cars.

I wonder how those will run. They seemed like they were more form over function with the Speed S tread blocks, but who knows.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This thread is so strang e.

I wonder how those will run. They seemed like they were more form over function with the Speed S treat blocks, but who knows.

I'm wondering the same thing myself. They have said it is a standard/proven UTV tire carcass (I'm assuming Toyo) with their tread on it.

Unless they are lying about the mileage, the wear seems ok. I guess we will find out how they work.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing myself. They have said it is a standard/proven UTV tire carcass (I'm assuming Toyo) with their tread on it.

Unless they are lying about the mileage, the wear seems ok. I guess we will find out how they work.

Tread pattern is important, but for me sidewall strength is the key factor. These SXS require light tires to get to the bigger size and they do this by decreasing the plys. Havasu is nasty place for those jagged rocks that love to find their way into ripping sidewalls. I have done many long SXS trips and the number one failure on these trips are flats and sidewall tears, clutch belts come a distant 2nd

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Tread pattern is important, but for me sidewall strength is the key factor. These SXS require light tires to get to the bigger size and they do this by decreasing the plys. Havasu is nasty place for those jagged rocks that love to find their way into ripping sidewalls. I have done many long SXS trips and the number one failure on these trips are flats and sidewall tears, clutch belts come a distant 2nd

Agreed. They claim to have 0 tire failures with this tire thus far, but I attribute that more to luck than anything else. There is only so much you can do when trying to keep the tire relatively light as you said.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Agreed. They claim to have 0 tire failures with this tire thus far, but I attribute that more to luck than anything else. There is only so much you can do when trying to keep the tire relatively light as you said.

It's driving skill, not luck! Robby has been doing most of the testing. When you put an average Joe in the seat, tire punctures will go up.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
It's driving skill, not luck! Robby has been doing most of the testing. When you put an average Joe in the seat, tire punctures will go up.

Racer56 correct me if I am wrong but you race a class 10 car right? I'd like to have your experienced input in the discussion of race cars vs play cars

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
This has been personal at me directly, for 10 pages. These are people that have 0 interest In UTVs at all, they just come on here to cry at me for whatever grievance they’ve been holding back and are to scared to bring up. If you want to talk about my family, my truck, my race car, how I get paid, how I spend my money, or whatever else I post about, start another thread. I didn’t bring up any of those topics into this thread, others came in here with that noise, and I responded in kind.

This is a thread to talk about a product coming to market. That’s it, that is all it ever was.

If you don’t like it, don’t post in this thread, it is pretty simple.

As a moderator is it your job to censor threads and posts? I'm sure it's not but that's what you're saying, "This is a thread to talk about a product coming to market. That’s it, that is all it ever was. If you don’t like it, don’t post in this thread, it is pretty simple."

You've been around long enough to know that threads on RDP (and on the internet) go off topic all the time. That's part of the value of threads is that humans can actually mix subjects up and still understand them.

Once again I'll tell you what you seem to not be able to comprehend in this thread because you're taking it personally and making it your mission to impose your will on it and posters...

You've lost your objectivity and as a moderator your credibility and ability to do the job you volunteered to do is gone

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What do I need back seats for? Small cooler goes behind the seats along with the tools and other small stuff. I can also carry 36 gallons of gas for a range of a couple hundred miles.

Hey buddy this ain’t Afghanistan and we aren’t at war.. lol

I need 5 seaters for my family, so I guess the magical U4 that’s cheaper than my 24,500 sxs is off the list. :/.

I had a lot of fun in my 55k’ish can am as well.. and I hope to have fun in my speed car. I can tell ya I don’t see that U4 running with a built can am / or speed car running down the side of Shea rd, where they do a lot of testing out here. In the open desert I’d hazard to say not a chance.

Maybe stock’ish ones.

On a side note that thing isn’t cheaper than a sxs. The SXS’s jumped in price because of this crazy market, but still.. I think you got a good deal, I don’t think they are readily available.

Dollars to dollars I think the sxs makes more sense for me. (Maybe not everyone?)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As a moderator is it your job to censor threads and posts? I'm sure it's not but that's what you're saying, "This is a thread to talk about a product coming to market. That’s it, that is all it ever was. If you don’t like it, don’t post in this thread, it is pretty simple."

You've been around long enough to know that threads on RDP (and on the internet) go off topic all the time. That's part of the value of threads is that humans can actually mix subjects up and still understand them.

Once again I'll tell you what you seem to not be able to comprehend in this thread because you're taking it personally and making it your mission to impose your will on it and posters...

You've lost your objectivity and as a moderator your credibility and ability to do the job you volunteered to do is gone

He only moderately moderates the P&G.. not up here. Mod arguments are kinda “meh”

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near Havasu and my car is kept in NV. That means driving out there, picking up the car, driving to Havasu and then doing it all in reverse. Hardly worth it just to prove a point to someone who knows everything about everything on an Internet forum.

It would be less energy and more fun than this thread. 🤪

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

There goes my hopes and dreams
Of off-roading you n Tacoma’s ranch.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Racer56 correct me if I am wrong but you race a class 10 car correct? I'd like to have your experienced input in the discussion of race cars vs play cars
Yes, I have raced a class 10 for the past 7 years. raced Trophylite the first two years of the series and have tested trophy trucks and 4400's/U4's.

First off, the true race cars are setup for full on race mode and the rides are anything but plush. I have pre-run in the races cars, but it is not really optimal. Pre-running in a luxury truck and or 4 seat buggy is way more enjoyable. Anything with working doors is a major benefit, as climbing in out of the race cars is a pain in the ass. The maintenance of the full on desert race cars is uber expensive and the cost to maintain pre-runners is not that far behind. There is a huge shift by a lot of offroad racers from true unlimited pre-runners to UTV's. UTV's have come a long ways and the fact that most offroad teams own one, proves that fact. The race shop that built my car has the most badass Alumicraft Grande 4 seat buggy pre-runner with a Viper V10 and they are considering selling it to buy a Speed utv.

My class 10 will smoke most utv's in western states deserts, but I think the Speed utv is going to change that. Class 10's have around 210 horsepower and 22" of wheel travel. As the horsepower increases in utv's and the cars become better, it's only a matter of time before utv's will be faster than Class 10's. If utv's were allowed to race on 35" tires, the performance gap would really disappear. I have had the privilege of being able to drive probably the fastest U4 out there and there is no way I would want to spend that kind of money to cruise around the desert with friends and family. The U4 lacks any kind of creature comfort and gets really hot in the cockpit. The Ultra 4 that I got to drive will destroy any utv out there in any terrain. It's almost as fast as a Class 1 or spec trophy truck in the desert and in certain terrain it's faster.

Wizard Ultra 4 versus LOF UTV- A lap of Barstow Wizard would smoke LOF. In technical riding areas the advantage would go to LOF and his utv. The Speed UTV with 35's, the shocks tuned and the speed key would more than likely be faster than Wizard's ride in most desert environments.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

That is true. I try to be aware of tire killers when I'm out there. I've had decent luck so far.
Yes, I have raced a class 10 for the past 7 years. raced Trophylite the first two years of the series and have tested trophy trucks and 4400's/U4's.

First off, the true race cars are setup for full on race mode and the rides are anything but plush. I have pre-run in the races cars, but it is not really optimal. Pre-running in a luxury truck and or 4 seat buggy is way more enjoyable. Anything with working doors is a major benefit, as climbing in out of the race cars is a pain in the ass. The maintenance of the full on desert race cars is uber expensive and the cost to maintain pre-runners is not that far behind. There is a huge shift by a lot of offroad racers from true unlimited pre-runners to UTV's. UTV's have come a long ways and the fact that most offroad teams own one, proves that fact. The race shop that built my car has the most badass Alumicraft Grande 4 seat buggy pre-runner with a Viper V10 and they are considering selling it to buy a Speed utv.

My class 10 will smoke most utv's in western states deserts, but I think the Speed utv is going to change that. Class 10's have around 210 horsepower and 22" of wheel travel. As the horsepower increases in utv's and the cars become better, it's only a matter of time before utv's will be faster than Class 10's. If utv's were allowed to race on 35" tires, the performance gap would really disappear. I have had the privilege of being able to drive probably the fastest U4 out there and there is no way I would want to spend that kind of money to cruise around the desert with friends and family. The U4 lacks any kind of creature comfort and gets really hot in the cockpit. The Ultra 4 that I got to drive will destroy any utv out there in any terrain. It's almost as fast as a Class 1 or spec trophy truck in the desert and in certain terrain it's faster.

Wizard Ultra 4 versus LOF UTV- A lap of Barstow Wizard would smoke LOF. In technical riding areas the advantage would go to LOF and his utv. The Speed UTV with 35's, the shocks tuned and the speed key would more than likely be faster than Wizard's ride in most desert environments.

This X 1000. I agree 100%.

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Appreciate your knowledgeable input.

Wild card, class 10 vs U4 in a lap of Barstow?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how SxS can have their "gearing" adjusted for larger tires and now I learn that SxS run 35" tires :oops:

Besides learning about the Speed Car, RG's business and LOF's defending it to the death, I'm learning about Utra 4s and SxS - interesting how 1 thread can cover multiple topics :oops:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how SxS can have their "gearing" adjusted for larger tires and now I learn that SxS run 35" tires :oops:

Besides learning about the Speed Car, RG's business and LOF's defending it to the death, I'm learning about Utra 4s and SxS - interesting how 1 thread can cover multiple topics :oops:

I had 34’s on my can am. Most others ran 35’s. The guy that bought it switched it to 32’s because he wanted to be able to roast the tires on the street from 20 mph. Personally I liked the 34’s.

Stacy wants me to get another one while we are waiting on the speed car. I am thinking about getting a can am defender woth AC and heat. Lol

Reactions: idk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

What will have I imposed on others aside from pointing out the gaps in people's logic and their own rabid stupidity? I've changed 0 people's opinions, and I'm not seeking to. I keep asking the question why does everyone care so much about a car they are not buying? Why do you and others care about me and what I do so much to bring up everything from my name to my job to my family. To that end, certainly its personal and you are gonna get back whatever stupid crap you throw out. I've said, if you want to critique me, that's what call out threads are for - Go make a thread. So far I haven't seen one.

Your argument is fatally flawed because you come in questioning the validity of Speed as a business with 0 evidence or facts, which you are absolutely free to do. Then you refuse to accept evidence or facts to the contrary of your position via deflection because "we are so personally invested in this that we can't be objective" when your argument has ran out of steam.

You don't think Speed is a viable business, great, I believe it is with half a million (EDIT : BILLION) of pending orders. Time will tell, can we be done with that now?

The people that hate UTVs, and/or think the Speed cars will never be delivered still hate UTVs and/or think the Speed cars will never be delivered. They keep saying the same crap over and over and most of it has been demonstrably or objectively proven wrong.

When people say the cars are built in China 500 times - That is demonstrably false.

When I say the preproduction cars will 99% be at Sand Sports in a month and there is 3 pages of people telling me how it is impossible and won't happen, it cant happen, and then it happens, the cars are there at the show, what exactly is that? Not one of those people raised their hand and said they were wrong or said anything positive. I don't expect them to, people are just BSing on the internet. But this is a 2 way street, don't cry to me that I am "defending my positions" by countering with my own position that is based on from information from the source.

I'm not a moderator here in this sub forum. As such I wouldn't need to objectively operate here in this thread anyway. So once again, you've put forth a flawed position that I don't even need to defend.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Maybe, but watching LOF's head explode at some of the commentary here has definitely kept the fun vs. energy expended ratio up anyway.

I've been laughing the last couple nights for sure watching the haters in their circle jerk.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
What will have I imposed on others aside from pointing out the gaps in people's logic and their own rabid stupidity? I've changed 0 people's opinions, and I'm not seeking to. I keep asking the question why does everyone care so much about a car they are not buying? Why do you care about me and what I do so much to bring up everything from my name to my job to my family. To that end, certainly its personal and you are gonna get back whatever stupid crap you throw out. I've said, if you want to critique me, that's what call out threads are for - Go make a thread. So far I haven't seen one.

Your argument is fatally flawed because you come in question the validity of Speed as a business with 0 evidence or facts. Then you refuse to accept evidence or facts to the contrary of your position via deflection because "we are so personally invested in this that we can't be objective" when your argument has ran out of steam.

You don't thing Speed is a viable business, great, I believe it is with half a million of pending orders. Time will tell, can we be done with that now?

The people that hate UTVs, and/or think the Speed cars will never be delivered still hate UTVs and/or think the Speed cars will never be delivered. They keep saying the same crap over and over and most of it has been demonstrably or objectively proven wrong.

When people say the cars are built in China 500 times - That is demonstrably false.

When I say the preproduction cars will 99% be at Sand Sports in a month and there is 3 pages of people telling me how it is impossible and won't happen, it cant happen, and then it happens, the cars are there at the show, what exactly is that? Not one of those people raised their hand and said they were wrong or said anything positive. I don't expect them to, people are just BSing on the internet. But this is a 2 way street, don't cry to me that I am defending my positions either by countering with my own position based on from information from the source.

I'm not a moderator here in this sub forum, I don't wouldn't objectivity to operate here in this thread anyway, so once again, you've put forth a flawed position that I don't even need to defend.

922A375D-19C4-41B3-8663-B959BB22D7EE.gif

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What will have I imposed on others aside from pointing out the gaps in people's logic and their own rabid stupidity? I've changed 0 people's opinions, and I'm not seeking to. I keep asking the question why does everyone care so much about a car they are not buying? Why do you care about me and what I do so much to bring up everything from my name to my job to my family. To that end, certainly its personal and you are gonna get back whatever stupid crap you throw out. I've said, if you want to critique me, that's what call out threads are for - Go make a thread. So far I haven't seen one.

Your argument is fatally flawed because you come in question the validity of Speed as a business with 0 evidence or facts. Then you refuse to accept evidence or facts to the contrary of your position via deflection because "we are so personally invested in this that we can't be objective" when your argument has ran out of steam.

You don't thing Speed is a viable business, great, I believe it is with half a million of pending orders. Time will tell, can we be done with that now?

When I say the preproduction cars will 99% be at Sand Sports in a month and there is 3 pages of people telling me how it is impossible and won't happen, it cant happen, and then it happens, the cars are there at the show, what exactly is that? Not one of those people raised their hand and said they were wrong or said anything positive. I don't expect them to, people are just BSing on the internet. But this is a 2 way street, don't cry to me that I am defending my positions either by countering with my own position based on from information from the source.

I'm not a moderator here in this sub forum, I don't wouldn't objectivity to operate here in this thread anyway, so once again, you've put forth a flawed position that I don't even need to defend.

Not a half a million. It’s a half a BILLION!

See guys it isn’t hard to prove ole
LOF wrong.. lol. Even if my proving him wrong via a typo actually proves his point a little more.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Anyone can break anything.. lame takes..

Exactly. The whole discussion is stupid. Its great he has a U4. It does not fit where I like to offroad or what I like to do with my family. It is not better, or worse, it is just different.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That car has some bad luck, at first I thought the below video is what led up to the above damage, but it appears as though it's running different tires.

Yea that wreck was from 8 years ago I believe.

Taboma

Reaction score
There goes my hopes and dreams
Of off-roading you n Tacoma’s ranch.

You wanted to offroad in Tacoma ?
That's a long long ways from our place 🤣 There's 100's of miles of trails to explore in the surrounding mountains, it's exploring up the washes that would be more problematic for the wider cars.
Also there's areas where we explore with very old trails with scrub oak growing across them, even the XX doesn't do as well as did the smaller RZR.
All my SxS have a lot of desert pinstriping scars. It's my policy with any new SxS, day one right off the trailer, it gets driven right through a scrub oak and initiated in it's rite of passage. New gone in the first few minutes, now let's go play. 👍
Sorry if I implied there was no where to ride for a wider UTV.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
The annoying part about LOF in this thread is he takes anything and everything that Speed or RG says as absolute truth and fact.

The reality is when the cars come out. There will be plenty of things that people will wish was different or outright complaints. But if you go off of LOF, the speed car is the new gods chariot thar is flawless.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The annoying part about LOF in this thread is he takes anything and everything that Speed or RG says as absolute truth and fact.

The reality is when the cars come out. There will be plenty of things that people will wish was different or outright complaints. But if you go off of LOF, the speed car is the new gods chariot thar is flawless.

Ehh I'll disagree with you on that. I've seen LOF say a few times that he's not expecting them to be perfect and expecting some kinks in the first production run. Is he a fanboy that is drinking the coolaid? Absolutely, but I wouldn't say he is expecting god's chariot flawless

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Nobody said flawless.. just best thing since sliced bread. 🤪

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

The annoying part is having to correct misinformation because you can't read, and you are just annoyed that I've been mostly accurate.

I have never ever said the car was perfect, will ever be perfect, the process to build them was perfect or RG was perfect. I have outlined the risks as I see them multiple times.

I will however hold up my track record of shit I have said that actually happened in this process vs. yours where you haven't been right about anything you have said in here. Chalk up this post as another incorrect prognostication.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ehh I'll disagree with you on that. I've seen LOF say a few times that he's not expecting them to be perfect and expecting some kinks in the first production run. Is he a fanboy that is drinking the coolaid? Absolutely, but I wouldn't say he is expecting god's chariot flawless

When you notice they guy still thinks the cars are being made in China and question his ability to comprehend the written word, I have 0 worries about what others think about his blathering.

To your point, how could you not be into a product that will elevate an entire industry... and that is even if it has some teething problems which as you noted, I fully expect.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Startin to sound like the P&G.. lol

It is possible to disagree without hating each other. It isn’t like commons sense vs the libs

Status
Not open for further replies.