WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4 seat speed UTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My understanding is that the preproduction cars were assembled in CA. Not enough time for the parts to go to Charlotte and come back for the Sand Show.

You said the pictures of the assembly factory were from China, in this very thread.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Albins desiged the trans. I know it is a dog type gear change mechanism, I do not know if there are synchros or what, by guess is no based on lifting for shifts, etc. It has a ratchet sequential style shifter. I agree with you and I think that could be fun for those of us that know shift it properly, and may be frustrating for the public. Again there is really no need to shift it on the fly though.

Would this be like shifting a 2 speed rear end(5+2) or direct to high in a 13 or 18 spd?

Dan'l

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
RG should have gone to Suzuki and asked them to sell him the k5 gsxr1000 motor with low compression pistons installed and then turbo that since at the time he would have thought the 1300cc busa motor would not be a go.

Super stupid he decided to pay someone to make a new engine imo. Huge aftermarket support for Suzuki and no ties to the sxs market

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Would this be like shifting a 2 speed rear end(5+2) or direct to high in a 13 or 18 spd?

Dan'l

That is a good question actually, I think more like the latter, but honestly I'm not completely sure. This is in conjunction with a CVT belt.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Only reason those units were at the Sand Show is they were built at the Spoed shop, not on the MFG line. Zero units have been built on the line start to finish. Every unit built today has been built at the spoed shop not on the line.

Actually I don’t believe that to be correct. I think they were built at the factory.

riverroyal

Reaction score
That is all fine and good, but I can go back to the posts where everyone else said the cars would never make it here from China for the show. Now you are saying they never came from China in the first place and were all built here? There have been pictures of parts in warehouses for months, some obviously in a Speed shop, some obviously somewhere else. I am certain some amount of final assembly happened here in CA, as all the cars were 99% done at the show. They didn't come straight from the factory to the show.

Going back in time this was all set in motion before a pandemic. That said, he overpromised on the delivery date pre pandemic. He just took a page from the TUCKER playbook, and teasing with cool stuff and prototypes buys you goodwill for awhile. I don't think there is going to be a 4-6 month quiet period before production starts.

In software sales we set low expectation and over deliver. It does not work that way in auto and powersport sales. You get people revved up and excited, and then let them down after you take their money :)

Once again the only issues seems to be from people that are not in line for a car. Do you see anyone in here with a car saying they are pissed off?
fixed it for you

Singleton

Reaction score
That is all fine and good, but I can go back to the posts where everyone else said the cars would never make it here from China for the show. Now you are saying they never came from China in the first place and were all built here? There have been pictures of parts in warehouses for months, some obviously in a Speed shop, some obviously somewhere else. I am certain some amount of final assembly happened here in CA, as all the cars were 99% done at the show. They didn't come straight from the factory to the show.

Going back in time this was all set in motion before a pandemic. That said, he overpromised on the delivery date pre pandemic. He just took a page from the Tesla playbook, and teasing with cool stuff and prototypes buys you goodwill for awhile. I don't think there is going to be a 4-6 month quiet period before production starts.

In software sales we set low expectation and over deliver. It does not work that way in auto and powersport sales. You get people revved up and excited, and then let them down after you take their money :)

Once again the only issues seems to be from people that are not in line for a car. Do you see anyone in here with a car saying they are pissed off?

I have meet a few people not on RDP that had deposits and sold (gave up waiting). Most of those on RDP are publicly saying online they are OK, but I think they are starting to get worn out.

As a potential buyer, knowing and willing to pay more once I know units are being built and delivered, my patience is almost over. About to head a different direction instead of waiting. Like what RG designed and envisioned, but tired of seeing design updates and no manufacturing updates.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have meet a few people not on RDP that had deposits and sold (gave up waiting). Most of those on RDP are publicly saying online they are OK, but I think they are starting to get worn out.

As a potential buyer, knowing and willing to pay more once I know units are being built and delivered, my patience is almost over. About to head a different direction instead of waiting. Like what RG designed and envisioned, but tired of seeing design updates and no manufacturing updates.

Sure I'm annoyed it is taking so long, but I'm happy with the progress thus far. Some believed the original timeline or just want a car, and are frustrated, I get it.

There are probably just as many people that were/are tired of waiting for the Polaris car that had been rumored for 2 years. But what choice does anyone have in the current environment?

The MFG update is going to be - We are making cars now, expect them in X days.

That is more of an update than you get from a Polaris or a Can Am. To your point, there is an expectation and trust that the cars will arrive at some point from those manufacturers, but they give you even less detail.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
You said the pictures of the assembly factory were from China, in this very thread.
Correct, of the 'production' car that was shown in the video several months ago. They have to see it the parts fit over there first.

The current preproduction cars were assembled from parts sent from manufacturing to the CA facility.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board 100%

riverroyal

Reaction score

this, as a potential buyer Ive lost my excitement. 18 month ago I was expecting to have the chance to get one this season. Well, now with 15000 presale and not having a deposit i wouldn't get one until summer 23. I might have a chance to buy off a showroom floor by Thanksgiving 22, BUT, it wont be proven by then. At least not enough for me.
This leaves me buying the known brands. Im not alone thinking this way.
Speed really needs to shift the marketing method (live feed) to less tech, less tweaklng. They need to show 2000 tires ready, 500 gas tanks, a assembly line with the machines ready to flip a switch, a motor shop with thousands of parts ready to go. As a non deposit UTV enthusiast its looks like a house of cards.

Its a niche market, speed will do fine with buyers with disposable income. The finance buyers are not going to wait.
Im sure RG is ok with this, like LOF said they are not out to crush others. Just out to make sure we all know Speed is superior. Its like a custom boat compared to a mass produced one.

RG is aware the natives are restless. He even said minutes after the baja 1000 he needs to get them in customers hands. He also has his son tell everyone 'this should shut them up' on a you tube video....Classy

2Driver

Reaction score
I think the most brilliant thing was being able to freely sell your vehicle deposit.

By doing so it allowed disgruntled people to be removed from the waiting list and replaced by optimistic anxious buyers. If weren't for this there may very well be a pitch-fork and torch crowd at the door by now.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
RG should have gone to Suzuki and asked them to sell him the k5 gsxr1000 motor with low compression pistons installed and then turbo that since at the time he would have thought the 1300cc busa motor would not be a go.

Super stupid he decided to pay someone to make a new engine imo. Huge aftermarket support for Suzuki and no ties to the sxs market
This thread is very interesting.
All I know is - I'd n.e.v.e.r. go into a full production (15,000 units mentioned here?) scenario with a completely new engine and trans without YEARS of testing.
I'm in the ag and construction equipment manufacturing business selling gearboxes/transmissions that we design and build to some guys that paint their stuff green/red/ yellow.
None of these guys would do this.
Id expect none of the serious eng/trans suppliers that RG has gone to will sign off on his application without this pre-production testing - which would mean 'sorry, that's not a warrantable failure' down the road.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
I have several friends that sold their current car in anticipation of the speed car coming to market, now they don’t have anything to have fun with!

but that was their choice cash in the hand! Now they are forced to sit and wait with out any family adventures, No dust and NO FUN !!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have several friends that sold their current car in anticipation of the speed car coming to market, now they don’t have anything to have fun with!

but that was their choice cash in the hand! Now they are forced to sit and wait with out any family adventures, No dust and NO FUN !!
haha 2 liter comes to mind

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Correct, of the 'production' car that was shown in the video several months ago. They have to see it the parts fit over there first.

The current preproduction cars were assembled from parts sent from manufacturing to the CA facility.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board 100%

Source of that info? Because that means all the blathering about supply chain woes and they could never get parts here in time...also was false.

Let’s all pick one assumption horse here and ride it together :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
“$500M in orders”

How many are guaranteed?

All of them. It’s the dealer’s responsibility to sell the cars. Unless you are suggesting Speed has fundamentally changed how floorplans work?

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Source of that info? Because that means all the blathering about supply chain woes and they could never get parts here in time...also was false.

Let’s all pick one assumption horse here and ride it together :)
I was told by an employee where the cars at the Sand Show were assembled. But, were all the parts from overseas??? Those cars were not assembled in Charlotte or Texas due to the show timing.

DLC

Reaction score
No guarantee on

can am
polaris
Kawasaki

KTM
Honda

ford
chebby

etc

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
All of them. It’s the dealer’s responsibility to sell the cars. Unless you are suggesting Speed has fundamentally changed how floorplans work?
The deposits made through Speed are not guaranteed, we are SOL if no cars make it to production. If your deposit was at a dealer, I would guess you are OK.

riverroyal

Reaction score
The deposits made through Speed are not guaranteed, we are SOL if no cars make it to production. If your deposit was at a dealer, I would guess you are OK.
and that is why I would sell the spot. Now, before you cant sell it with no delivery commitment.

or see what the mystery news is...

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
My in laws have one of those sitting in their trailer, needs a little work o get back to it's former glory. Wondering if there's a market for these anymore.

We had all of them growing up, My dad wrenched his back riding his Moto, he got hooked on these. I ended up selling the 350 Decades ago for 1500 bux. I bought my CR 500 w/ the Proceeds.Best Purchase I ever made.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I'm in until the end, I've already gotten $1500 worth of entertainment from just this thread alone.....
thats valid. lol. This entire thing sucks! I want the guys here to get something badass.
It has been entertaining.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
This thread is very interesting.
All I know is - I'd n.e.v.e.r. go into a full production (15,000 units mentioned here?) scenario with a completely new engine and trans without YEARS of testing.
I'm in the ag and construction equipment manufacturing business selling gearboxes/transmissions that we design and build to some guys that paint their stuff green/red/ yellow.
None of these guys would do this.
Id expect none of the serious eng/trans suppliers that RG has gone to will sign off on his application without this pre-production testing - which would mean 'sorry, that's not a warrantable failure' down the road.

Everybody best read above quoted post. LOF, curious your response to above quote? Seems no malice,just accurate industrial fact.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Everybody best read above quoted post. LOF, curious your response to above quote? Seems no malice,just accurate industrial fact.
i think that the above quoted post was written from the perspective of going to an engine supplier and asking for an engine. My understanding is that this is an in-house design that is based off the arctic cat z1. Meaning there wouldn't be a person besides RG to say "Sorry, that's not a warrantable feature"

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

You're telling us that the dealers have to buy all the cars and they're guaranteed orders?

Did the dealers put any money into Speed's coffers?

Or, is the only money Speed got from people like you who have bought one or more SPOTS IN LINE?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You're telling us that the dealers have to buy all the cars and they're guaranteed orders?

Or, is the only money Speed got from people like you who have bought one or more SPOTS IN LINE?

The dealers bought their spots as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

That is assuming if the cars aren’t produced the money is not refunded I guess.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

What dealer had guaranteed orders? Speed gets paid if a car sells or it sits in a showroom.

Dealers aren’t buying cars with cash, they are financing them, just like they do with everything else on the floor. They are going to be issued some kind of allocation of Speed cars, and they will sell them to customers. The end.

If the dealers DID give Speed money for allocations that is great. That is even more assurance the cars will be delivered.

Or RG just hatched this scheme to rip off every large powersports conglomerate in the nation, and. I one will ever get anything and RG will just live happily ever after in the Hastings building in Havasu.

DwatsPdx

Reaction score
Sounds like his kid blew up a trans or diff.
Yes that’s exactly what happened. I didn’t want to say it and have it taken the wrong way. I didn’t want to ask what broke on the Speed car. We all had enough going on that race. We were leading, burnt the clutch up at mile 72, replaced the clutch and we luckily still finished 2nd.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Isnt that case totally integrated with a transmission? If so not a good candidate for a sxs with belt drive

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes that’s exactly what happened. I didn’t want to say it and have it taken the wrong way. I didn’t want to ask what broke on the Speed car. We all had enough going on that race. We were leading, burnt the clutch up at mile 72, replaced the clutch and we luckily still finished 2nd.

That is a Textron wildcat XX car with Speed suspension on it, so not the new stuff that is in the new car coming out. Congrats on the great comeback!

Status
Not open for further replies.