WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

454 mag not running right

Husqy510

Reaction score
My buddy is currently in Big Bear with his 2000 Shockwave which has a 454 mag. He just called looking for help because it's running terrible. He replaced the fuel filter and said he can hear the fuel pump turn when he turns the ignition on. He said it fires up but then stalls right away. He reached out to the local mechanics but they're booked 4wks out

Any ideas? Are you able to plug a scanner into it?

HBCraig

Reaction score
My buddy is currently in Big Bear with his 2000 Shockwave which has a 454 mag. He just called looking for help because it's running terrible. He replaced the fuel filter and said he can hear the fuel pump turn when he turns the ignition on. He said it fires up but then stalls right away. He reached out to the local mechanics but they're booked 4wks out

Any ideas? Are you able to plug a scanner into it?
Is it carbureted? I have a 454 Mag that did a similar thing. If it is carbureted he might need to replace the accelerator pump. I had to do it on mine.

Husqy510

Reaction score
His is fuel injected. Thanks for the reply, though

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If he hasn't touched anything and the problem just came all of a sudden, start with the basics, Battery Voltage, Spark Plugs, Cap & Rotor, Plug wires.

D19

Reaction score
What Racey said plus the fuel filter

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Not sure if they have the same type of fuel pump as the carbureted, but there is a check valve inside the pump that gets gummed up. Or oil pressure switch.

Icky

Reaction score
If he replaced the fuel filter and didn't prime then he possibly isn't getting fuel.

SS-C

Reaction score
I meant to say IAC valve, but you all new that... Lol

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If he can get it to fire in neutral and bring it just off idle and it runs it’s the IAC most likely.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. I sent him a link to this post and he's trouble shooting it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If it fires and sounds fine then stalls i agree with looking at fuel psi.

If it's the IAC he should be able to crack the throttle and it should stay running.

The IAC for all intents and purposes just acts as a controlled vacuum leak, which does the same thing as opening the throttle blade a slight amount.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It isn't just the altitude? Other wise Spark Plugs are cheap. They seem to just fail sometimes. Worth checking.

Husqy510

Reaction score
No, not the altitude. He's run this boat almost exclusively at big bear. He was asking about plugs, but i told him I've never had plugs fail in a stock application, but you're probably right. Too cheap not to at least try it

guest hs

Reaction score
It should still run fine at that altitude just a little down on power which the next size pitch on his prop will help that. Gen 4-6 BBC don’t usually have problems with spark plugs like the gen 7 496 Merc. Engines.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My 496 worked great one weekend, then the next weekend it ran like crap. A couple bad plugs was the culprit. Happy to find it was a cheap fix.

707dog

Reaction score
is this the year efi 454's that had the vapor lock issue??

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
is this the year efi 454's that had the vapor lock issue??

It's very likely but with the description of how poorly it's running before it dies, I'd be more apt to believe it is a failing fuel pump or fuel contamination if it is a fuel problem. A fuel problem does sound to be the most likely culprit though

Husqy510

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. He's going to throw a FP Guage on it tonight

707dog

Reaction score
It's very likely but with the description of how poorly it's running before it dies, I'd be more apt to believe it is a failing fuel pump or fuel contamination if it is a fuel problem. A fuel problem does sound to be the most likely culprit though
gotcha... with this new fuel it doesn't take long to funk up the fuel system, filters...ect had a buddy who chase that vapor lock deal seemed like every trip he was ready to drill a hole in the boat and send it to the abyss. did some kind of bypass or drain back deal and never had a issue again.

sintax

Reaction score
Its not going to vapor lock in Big Bear

wouldnt think so, esp not on a cold engine.

I've never dealt with water in the fuel before, but i'd expect it would never fire? This seems to fire and quit, which seems like supply issue

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Water wouldnt neccesarily make it completely not run. Sometimes it will cause the engine to run very poorly but still run, like on 3 cylinders instead of 8.

Fuel when poured into a clear cup should be absolutely clear and about the color of white grape juice. If it is cloudy, there is water in it. If it is darker like apple juice or piss then the fuel is going bad.

See if you can get access to a spark checker and a fuel pressure tester. 454 mag should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 40psi fuel pressure. Might as well knock out a compression test and replace the spark plugs now to get it out of the way.

Post whatever pics you can. Keep us posted

Husqy510

Reaction score
He's back on the water having fun with the family, but he said it doesn't idle well.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Make sure the diaphragm in the vst hasn’t ruptured it will dump raw fuel down the number 8 intake runner and will cause a rough idle.
Been there, done that. Those vst systems are a pain.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Husqy510

Reaction score
Make sure the diaphragm in the vst hasn’t ruptured it will dump raw fuel down the number 8 intake runner and will cause a rough idle.
Thanks, apparently its running terrible again, maybe that's the problem.

He really appreciates all the suggestions