WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

460 oil capacity

76spectrajohn

Reaction score
That's what I wanna know. 460 ford with external oil cooler. Just the motor capacity would be fine. Possibly some advice on which synthetic to run.
Thanks

Don't go to the ford 460 forum. Won't let you post & seems folk would rather you search for a thread than answer the question. Jeez!

Quicksilver

Reaction score
If you have the factory front sump oil pan your engine will take between 5 to 6 quarts. I think my 460 with my remote oil filter takes six. As far as oil goes I would not recommend synthetic unless you have a roller camshaft. The zinc content of most oil today is low and will wreak havoc on your cam and lifters. Run an oil with a higher zinc level such as Valvoline VR-1 racing oil or a diesel oil. I run the VR -1 20-50.

76spectrajohn

Reaction score
Thing is, the guy I got the boat from was running synthetic. Valvoline I think. Shouldn't I stick with synthetic if that's the case,

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Thing is, the guy I got the boat from was running synthetic. Valvoline I think. Shouldn't I stick with synthetic if that's the case,

Everyone has an opinion on what brand of oil is best and what brand of truck is best. Unless you are going for a long oil change interval or running a turbocharged engine synthetic is a waste of money in my opinion. It is true that switching from conventional TO synthetic can cause oil leaks at seals. But going from synthetic to conventional should not cause you any problems as long as the oil is changed when needed. You can read the reviews on amazon about the VR-1 Racing Oil. They do sell a synthetic racing oil as well, VR-1 Synthetic and it is much more expensive. It could be what the previous owner was referring to. The standard VR-1 is stocked at my local Autozone and Oreilly so if I need more its not far. It was around $7 per quart the last time I bought some.

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV2...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Lucas marine oil. Has all of the additives and zinc of the "diesel" oils but formulated for the demands a marine engine has.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Lucas marine oil. Has all of the additives and zinc of the "diesel" oils but formulated for the demands a marine engine has.

I agree additives and zinc are what gives you metal wear protection. Cheaper oils, synthetic or not, are cheap because they don't have all the wear protection.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on what brand of oil is best and what brand of truck is best. Unless you are going for a long oil change interval or running a turbocharged engine synthetic is a waste of money in my opinion. It is true that switching from conventional TO synthetic can cause oil leaks at seals. But going from synthetic to conventional should not cause you any problems as long as the oil is changed when needed. You can read the reviews on amazon about the VR-1 Racing Oil. They do sell a synthetic racing oil as well, VR-1 Synthetic and it is much more expensive. It could be what the previous owner was referring to. The standard VR-1 is stocked at my local Autozone and Oreilly so if I need more its not far. It was around $7 per quart the last time I bought some.

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV2...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Synthetic does not cause leaks. Synthetic is considerably thinner therefore will find leaks. You wil also see higher consumption with synthetic in a marine application. I would not recommend synthetic in boat engine.

I will put the Lucas up against anything available and it will outperform its competitors. This is not opinion but fact based on the numerous oil analyzations and extensive testing that I have been personally involved with.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Why would synthetic of a given viscosity, be thinner than Dino oil at the same viscosity?

Either way, I think it's a wives tale that it causes leaks. IMHO there are some infrequent factors that can cause it to uncover a leak - like cleaning sludge that was plugging a small leak near a questionable gasket - but in a case like this it wouldn't be the cause.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Why would synthetic of a given viscosity, be thinner than Dino oil at the same viscosity?

Either way, I think it's a wives tale that it causes leaks. IMHO there are some infrequent factors that can cause it to uncover a leak - like cleaning sludge that was plugging a small leak near a questionable gasket - but in a case like this it wouldn't be the cause.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

The molecules are smaller. Is the dumbed down version. I had the Lucas chemist explain it to me. And walked away with the cliff notes erosion. Lol

76spectrajohn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Great info & opinions. Think I'll go with the VR-1 or Lucas, depending in where I go & what's in stock.