WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

496/600 Raylar

guest hs

Reaction score
I’m buying a boat that has a 600 Raylar engine complete. I don’t have a lot more info then that except it has after market tubular exhaust as well. I can buy the boat less engine or with engine. Just checking to see if there’s any interest in this engine

WildWilly

Reaction score
I know Raylar has a stigma, I almost did a kit on my 496 but the only people I could find to say good things was Raylar themselves. But are they really that bad? or is it a case of a few bad scnearios tarnished them?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The parts themselves have always had a good rep. Anything can be installed/put together wrong.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The parts themselves have always had a good rep. Anything can be installed/put together wrong.
Like the rockers coming loose and the valve and piston making love? Or the lean cylinder issue that are a ton of pistons?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Like the rockers coming loose and the valve and piston making love? Or the lean cylinder issue that are a ton of pistons?
That hasn't happened with every kit. I think Alexi uses Raylar parts when he builds 496's.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
That hasn't happened with every kit. I think Alexi uses Raylar parts when he builds 496's.
No not every however you stated the parts have always had a good rep so figured to point out two of their biggest flaws.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Raylar doesnt build engines anymore, they just sell the parts.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
The quality issue was with the first generation of rocker arm nuts. They would split in half. I had some quality aftermarket nuts machined to fit the application and have run 200 hours issue free. The other issue is, well, nah, not gonna do it on a public forum. Let's just say the other issue is no longer there.

Singleton

Reaction score
I would call Alexi and ask him if a market exist for the engine.
if you do purchase it, step one is a complete inspection IMO. Would tear it down and rebuild, while replacing what needs to be replaced, so the engine will cost you more money once purchased

franky

Reaction score
I believe they are the only company that makes the needed heads
What are needed heads? I put bigger valves and ported stock heads and they flowed better than the Raylars.
69C25FC5-2ACA-4912-A402-B464CE53A289.jpeg

Last edited:

Winning

Reaction score
I had one of the first kits- my boat was the one that hotboat did the install and Dyno article on. Mike Finnagan tested it out on Elsinore.

I had a lot of issues with he kit, the major one was the intake manifolds cracking, we went through 2 of them.

One of them was so bad it filled the bilge with 1/2 tank of fuel and could have been really dangerous. I had to pay for the mechanics to fix them both times, and they never reimbursed that cost

I ended up selling the boat, and it went back east- but I certainly had issues with that kit and never got resolved fro more than a few hours at a time.