WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

496 overheating issues!!! Please help

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Yes peter I bought the $8 cap and it did the same shit!!!! So now I have a spare cap and an overheating motor still lol. I’ve got a lot of great suggestions on here so it looks like I’ve got some work to do.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved. I was curious as to what problem was discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved. I was curious as to what problem was discovered.

Yes sir I did. It’s got a blown head gasket. I pressure checked the closed side and it wouldn’t hold pressure. I then tested for the presence of exhaust in the coolant and it tested positive in a micro second. So this weekend I start the tear down.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Yes sir I did. It’s got a blown head gasket. I pressure checked the closed side and it wouldn’t hold pressure. I then tested for the presence of exhaust in the coolant and it tested positive in a micro second. So this weekend I start the tear down.
Hopefully you get issue resolved quickly. Im curious how many hours on your engine? Is this a quick fix replace gaskets or do you have to rebuild?

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I have 220 hours. I won’t know until I get the heads off if I need machine work. It’s pretty rare for iron heads to be warped but I will see. I will have a machine shop check the heads for cracks and warpage before I put them back on.
Hopefully you get issue resolved quickly. Im curious how many hours on your engine? Is this a quick fix replace gaskets or do you have to rebuild?

Singleton

Reaction score
I have 220 hours. I won’t know until I get the heads off if I need machine work. It’s pretty rare for iron heads to be warped but I will see. I will have a machine shop check the heads for cracks and warpage before I put them back on.

Time to upgrade if your building. Call @BoostPower and talk to Axeli and what upgrades can be done to the 496

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Time to upgrade if your building. Call @BoostPower and talk to Axeli and what upgrades can be done to the 496
The only upgrade I need is the cherrypicker performance upgrade. Unbolt the 496, hook it to a cherry picker and drop a blue motor in. Until I can afford that I am fixing the 496 and running it some more.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Such a low hour motor such a bummer. It could be worse I guess. You don’t read on this happening too much with a 496. It sounds like you got it handled though. At least it’s not a mystery now.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Such a low hour motor such a bummer. It could be worse I guess. You don’t read on this happening too much with a 496. It sounds like you got it handled though. At least it’s not a mystery now.

Yeah I’m glad too. I’m pretty sure it’s a small blowout because it only rears it’s ugly head when the motor gets up to full temp and ran for a bit. That leads me to believe the gasket is only opening up when the metal expands so I’m hoping for no or minimal damage. We shall see. Break out another thousand right? I thought Harley’s were bad lol

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

when mine did the same thing I talked to some of the shops in town and this is about the only thing they ever have happen to the 496's. the motor uses the torque to yield head bolts and I think some of them yield way to early. that is why I went to the ARP head stud kit on mine so that won't happen again.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
when mine did the same thing I talked to some of the shops in town and this is about the only thing they ever have happen to the 496's. the motor uses the torque to yield head bolts and I think some of them yield way to early. that is why I went to the ARP head stud kit on mine so that won't happen again.
That’s surprising for such a mild, low compression motor. I don’t think I will spring for the head stud kit but I will probably use new head bolts.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Will be cheap insurance to do the ARP head studs and Cometic MLS head gaskets and be done ✅

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
That’s surprising for such a mild, low compression motor. I don’t think I will spring for the head stud kit but I will probably use new head bolts.
you have to replace them no matter what, it is required by GM. a new set is only 38 per side. I just got carried away when I did mine figured if I replaced all the wear part I would get another 500 hrs.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
you have to replace them no matter what, it is required by GM. a new set is only 38 per side. I just got carried away when I did mine figured if I replaced all the wear part I would get another 500 hrs.
How much was the stud kit?

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
If I go with the cometic gaskets should I go with .040 or .060?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
How much was the stud kit?
441.99 from summit. I can look at my orders and get you all the P/N you would ever need. I got most of engine parts from summit and Merc parts from Quality here in
Havasu.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is something you can do to prevent blown head gaskets. Being this is the only major issue with 496 engines?

guest hs

Reaction score
YTT head bolts must never be reused. Throw them in the trash and buy a new set.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Between Whipple, boostpower, pro charge and Raylar I think I can get about 1200 horsepower. Lmao

There are definitely good upgrades available however the motors need to come apart to perform all. We use the block, some cracks (depending on serial number) and the bare castings and all outside accessories. Everything else including valves, pistons rods bearings seals calibrations cam lifters rocker v cover spacers push rods etc etc get replaced. Then it’s a king size LS and kicks butt[emoji1303][emoji16]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
There are definitely good upgrades available however the motors need to come apart to perform all. We use the block, some cracks (depending on serial number) and the bare castings and all outside accessories. Everything else including valves, pistons rods bearings seals calibrations cam lifters rocker v cover spacers push rods etc etc get replaced. Then it’s a king size LS and kicks butt[emoji1303][emoji16]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!
I was being sarcastic. I’ve heard you guys do great work but I’m going to put as little lipstick on that pig as possible until I can afford a real motor.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic. I’ve heard you guys do great work but I’m going to put as little lipstick on that pig as possible until I can afford a real motor.

All good. It’s a frowned on motor in general but we make success out of em. And we had no choice as there are hundreds of thousands of 8.1’s around [emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Writing is on the wall. You are going to have more issues band aiding.

After Alexi is done with it. You will have a mill that will be better than a 525efi.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
All good. It’s a frowned on motor in general but we make success out of em. And we had no choice as there are hundreds of thousands of 8.1’s around [emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

Good for what they are. Just not going to push a 28 deck into the 70's.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Writing is on the wall. You are going to have more issues band aiding.

After Alexi is done with it. You will have a mill that will be better than a 525efi.
I think you might be a little ambitious in saying replacing a head gasket on a motor with 220 hours is a band aid. As long as the heads are checked out before re install that motor has lots of life left in it. The source of the initial overheat and coolant loss was the heat exchanger gaskets and those are repaired. Of course I would love to spend the money at boostpower but the 496 is what it is.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Sent from my Efi Beacon!
I’m still awaiting that call back on doing my 496 lol.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is something you can do to prevent blown head gaskets. Being this is the only major issue with 496 engines?

Keep a good impeller in the boat and make sure the cooling system is in good shape.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Yeah I’m glad too. I’m pretty sure it’s a small blowout because it only rears it’s ugly head when the motor gets up to full temp and ran for a bit. That leads me to believe the gasket is only opening up when the metal expands so I’m hoping for no or minimal damage. We shall see. Break out another thousand right? I thought Harley’s were bad lol
Shylbntro you were absolutely correct!!!!

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I guess all that pink liquid in the bottom of the bilge wasn’t kool aid.