WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

496HO ECM flash

HBCraig

Reaction score
Just checking with the RDP folks to see if anyone has done the ECM flash. And, did you notice the difference?

Thanks in advance

adam909

Reaction score
another good source of 496ho info is the 496ho group on FB.

Singleton

Reaction score
Yes.
Did the Whipple stage 2 ECU flash.
  • Pro - mid range acceleration was biggest difference (get up and go midrange was awesome), and gained 2.5 on top end, after working prop ($$)
  • Con - runs rich. So spark plugs were now part of annual maintenance and when running higher rpm’s, soot was worse (don’t believe them when they say less soot, over 3750rpms the soot increased). I had black all over interior, since soot would get on swim steps and my kid enjoys j7mping off step into lake. PIA and required daily interior cleaning :(. 91 at the pump, so weekend gas bill was larger
End of day, my ECU crystal broke 3 years later. Decided to not pay to have Whipple reflash ECU after it was repaired. Best decision I made!

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Back when I did my Raylar kit, one of the steps was to remove the reversion plates from the exhaust. I picked up a few miles an hour right out of the gate. If I had to do it all over again, I would have pulled those plates and stopped there. That or spent half of the money and put some headers on it. I think headers weren't available just yet when I did the kit. I think @STV_Keith had reached out about some tuning at some point. Not sure if he put together a successful tune or not. That is if it was him. That was many years ago.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s not worth the cost, specially as you’ll have to run 91. As Kachina said pull this reversion plates out of your manifolds and then just enjoy a few great as long as stock power plant.

I did the reversion plates and noticed a lot in the midrange, when i went from that to the Dana/Marine Industries headers from there i truly didn’t see any change, other than they were pretty.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
It’s not worth the cost, specially as you’ll have to run 91. As Kachina said pull this reversion plates out of your manifolds and then just enjoy a few great as long as stock power plant.

I did the reversion plates and noticed a lot in the midrange, when i went from that to the Dana/Marine Industries headers from there i truly didn’t see any change, other than they were pretty.
Glad I didn't do the headers. Pulling those plates was the most effective hop up. The Raylar kit just killed several weekends/events. Did I mention fuck Raylar? At least Ray, he was a fucking liar.

DBO

Reaction score
My Buddy has a 29 Fountain w/525 and flashed it at Whipple . Not sure about any mph gains but he mentioned was significantly less soot.

Dalton

Reaction score
Glad I didn't do the headers. Pulling those plates was the most effective hop up. The Raylar kit just killed several weekends/events. Did I mention fuck Raylar? At least Ray, he was a fucking liar.

I was working in a shop years ago and who I imagine was ray came by in a corvette, seemed like a nice guy but the shop already had issues with 496’s in the past and wouldn’t really rebuild them anymore and didn’t want to take any chances with raylar.